Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   How do you feel when a turbo/NOS civic beats/hangs with you? (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/129103-how-do-you-feel-when-turbo-nos-civic-beats-hangs-you.html)

ericdwong 12-20-2002 07:48 AM

How do you feel when a turbo/NOS civic beats/hangs with you?

How do you feel when you're at the drag strip and you line up against a Civic etc and the guy did alot of work to it, either gutting it, running NOS, or a built motor, blower/turbo, etc and when you bust out a 14.8 he busts out a 15.0 or he may even beat you by a few tenths. Do you feel:

1) Dammit I just lost to a civic/a civic hung with me
2) There must be something wrong with my car
3) That guy is dumb for trying to make that kinda car fast
4) he might have a turbo, but imagine what would happen if I had a turbo
5) Pretty sad it needs a turbo to keep up with something N/A
etc

or

a) Wow that guy deserves mad respect for getting that thing fast
b) Wow a Civic was able to hang/beat me (no sarcasm)
c) Damn I he paid alot less for his car then I did and he handles better
d) Its amazing what they can do with a 1.8L 4 cyl.
etc

Personally it depends on the situaiton. If theres a guy talkin mad smack thinking he's the fastest thing I would take a more belligerant attitude. If the guy is respectable, looks like he did most the work himself and knows what hes talkin about then I would go with the respect side.

I wonder what the LS1 guys think when a supercharged maxima etc beats/hangs with them. I'm sure the sentiment is similar to what we feel in a similar situation.

Kojiro_FtT 12-20-2002 08:04 AM

Well I certainly don't think c) at the drag strip. But in truth, I don't give a rats *** if the civic boys beat me. I'm just there for fun, not to show off the size of my balls.

And as for the LS1 guys, I know what my LS1 friends say, "Drop $6000 into any car and it'll be fast." Which is the same thing I say.

And the LS6 guys say "Let's go to a real track and have it out." lol.

hokiemax 12-20-2002 08:05 AM

Personally, I wouldnt feel crappy or jealous or etc.. There are civics than run on methenol(did I spell that right?) and do low teens. If it wasn't for these guys who tinker with their cheap civics, we might have never had a "import tuning" market. lol

JAY25 12-20-2002 08:15 AM

I would give him his props, remember its a 4 cylinder gas saver and is a pretty light vehicle. Like the man said above I go to the track to have fun. I am thinking about other things like not loosing traction.

1MAX2NV 12-20-2002 08:25 AM

Well...there aren't many show and go Civics. If he beats me, my car probably looks better. If his car looks better, I can probably beat him :) If he's faster and looks better, it's time for a "BASS OFF". :laugh:

fst96se 12-20-2002 08:44 AM

I was at firebird in Phoenix two weeks ago, my first time at an import night at a drag strip. I must say that I left there COMPLETELY impressed with what people can do to a civic. I saw very few of them running sixteens, most were low fifteens, and there were several of them that were running low fourteens/high thirteens.

Those cars pulling low fourteens looked like run of the mill modded civics. I have decided that you can't take a civic for granted.

The biggest eye openers were neons running twelves! LOTS OF THEM!

The baddest race of the night was a CRX vs. a full drag prepped trailer queen 69 Camaro with a HUGE blower.

The CRX ran a 10.97 the Camaro's 10.99....the Camaro trapped faster, but the CRX WORKED it off the line! The Camaro played catch up the whole time!!

BTW, the only Maxima I saw run was a 98 GXE 5spd... ran like a 17.5. Sure, it was his first run of the day, but it was embarassing! People behind me were going "what kind of car is that?" It raced a stock new Civic Si that ran a high 15 sec 1/4.

Nealoc187 12-20-2002 09:34 AM

I'm used to getting beaten by all motor civics at import events. Turbo/nitroused civics usually don't have a problem with me unless they are still on the stock motor, in which case they are usually still slow.

madmax2k 12-20-2002 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I'm used to getting beaten by all motor civics at import events. Turbo/nitroused civics usually don't have a problem with me
Same here...I got my @#$ royally kicked one day by a Turbo Civic when I had the Max.

Synki 12-20-2002 10:13 AM

I think about it if that happens. :o

Then I will let you know. ;)

Jeff92se 12-20-2002 10:20 AM

I think the civic person has better sense about weight/power and what to run to get lower 1/4 times. Us maxima owners have done great things to get some respectable track times but we need an overwhelming about of power to get some good times.

Wicked 12-20-2002 07:33 PM

i have respect for them. My close friend has a crx with a ZC engine, headers, intake, ehxuast. andits ported. today we had a frindly competition. He kept up really well with my stock 97 5-sp really well. i view them in whoe different light.

Conrad283 12-20-2002 07:36 PM

i wouldn't be annoyed, if i lost to a geo metro i'd be ****ed :mad:

MaximaPower 12-20-2002 08:16 PM

i'd be like, "wow!! i kept up with a hooked up civic with the works?!?! not bad. I wonder how he feels about his turbo/nos civic that can only hang with an NA 4dr family car."

iansw 12-20-2002 11:52 PM

There's a Civic here in Seattle that did a 10.003 at the track, beating out a blown 1965 Corevette with all the goodies (10.532).

He won't let anyone look under the hood.

Luckily, I didn't race him, but I did race 3 other Civics that night - they all lost badly. :D

IanS

rich96max 12-21-2002 12:47 AM

I'm friends with a few guys with very fast civic's and crx's, two that run low 10's and one that runs 9's. I have respect for anyone that puts time into a car and runs times that would shock people. The thing with honda's is the weight, you dont need alot of hp to get good times. 200hp to the wheels will run you low 13's if not 12's all day in a striped out hatch and with 300hp your looking almost into the 11's. I just got sick along time ago of people talking there sh*t about civic's i own one and I love the car. Its extremly fun to drive and its quick. Plus there is nothing like a turbo mmmmmmm It's the best feeling in the world looking at peoples faces when you come blowing by them lol. But i will soon sell my toy to buy a new Z and then turbo that :)

HYPE_MAX 12-21-2002 01:07 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Well...there aren't many show and go Civics. If he beats me, my car probably looks better. If his car looks better, I can probably beat him :) If he's faster and looks better, it's time for a "BASS OFF". :laugh:
:laugh:

Street Reeper 12-21-2002 06:54 AM

I have been beat by a fully built civic and I gave the guy props for a nicely built car.

But I do not get upset about it for a couple of reasons
1. My max is not the usual boy racers car, so I am not associated with the Fast and Furious crowd (big wings, dumb graffics)
2. I can valet park my max and not feel embarresed when they bring it to me at the front door.
3. Most importantly if the total amount of money I paid for my Max was put towards a civic, I would still have a faster, and much nicer car.

I really like any car that has been modified and is fast.

SteVTEC 12-21-2002 07:10 AM

If somebody in a Civic beat me, I seriously wouldn't care, but would go home intrigued and then do the following...

a) Go to www.edmunds.com and figure out what year/model it was to estimate the weight.
b) Fire up CarTest2000 and "recreate" the race and try to estimate how much power he had at the wheels.
c) Figure out exactly what he had done to it to give him that much power.
d) Do a dyno comparison in Excel

gEEks R uS :shiner:

VQdriver 12-21-2002 07:49 AM

in the beginning i actually thought civics were really fast since the ones on my racing team are. whenever a civic was supercharged or turboed i'd prepare to get my rear end handed to me, but that was not always the case. in fact, unless it was a really worked hybrid or highly modded turbo i'd smoke them. i'm sure all those civics were expecting to beat a 4 door maxima not by a little, but by alot. i love beating civics with front mount intercoolers lol. mid to low 13's come easy to hybrid civics and GSR integs. i wish that was the case for us maxima drivers lol.

Battle Max 12-21-2002 10:47 AM

I saw this post and i had to reply about what happend to me last sunday. A bunch of us west coast guys had a track meet and it was my first time at the track with my nitrous set up. It just so happens i look to my left to see im lined up against a fully tubbed eg civic completly gutted with an intercooler that was bigger than the whole front end of the car...:eek: I hurried up and called my boy that was on the sides watching the races i yelled "Man wtf they got me lined up against a REAL RACE CAR!" he couldnt control himself from laughing his arse off. So i figured im not going to look stupid im going to race him head up and see what happens. When we got to the burn out box the sound of his turbo spooling while he was heating up his slicks was enough to make you **** in your pants. When we both got staged i guess it was newby luck or me just being excited i pulled my best reaction time ever at .534. The civic tore off the line and before he could hit boost BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!! he blows his engine.. To make things look worse i even squeezed on him and pumped my fist like i just won the NHRA championships..... his timeslip was .549 Rt with a 60 ft of 7.390 hahahahahahhaahah :laugh: just thought id share my story with you guys.

Jon(killer of raced out eg civics)

nadir_s 12-21-2002 11:54 AM

# 3

KINGMAX 12-21-2002 12:23 PM

I got beat by one at a 1/8 mile track awhile back. He sprayed on that run and beat me by about three tenths. I really don't care though...I mean if his car is faster than mine than I have respect for him that he has put his time and money into his car to make it run good. The car was very tastefull looking too, it wasn't riced out or anything, but I have seen riced out civics running 11's in the 1/4 so even though the look is not to my taste(to each his own) I still respect the person for having the drive and determination to make his/her car quick. I never have any hard feelings when I get beat at the track, most of the time I talk to the guy later about his/her car, and you know what I always get "hey your car is pretty quick too what have you done to it"? Being that I am still struggling getting out of debt I just say "nothing she's all stock" ,I usually get a suprised look after that. I think most people have respect for one another when it comes to racing, but ever once in awhile you still get the egotistical knucklehead that feels you have hurt his pride, which sucks but it is something we just have to deal with. Sorry this is so long, just my .02.

Synki 12-21-2002 01:12 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
If somebody in a Civic beat me, I seriously wouldn't care, but would go home intrigued and then do the following...

a) Go to www.edmunds.com and figure out what year/model it was to estimate the weight.
b) Fire up CarTest2000 and "recreate" the race and try to estimate how much power he had at the wheels.

Why does that not shock me. ;)

SteVTEC 12-22-2002 10:24 AM

oooh...funny story from the other day :D

My fiance and I were coming back from the mall the other day doing some xmas shopping. I was driving. And of course, a riceboy Civic lines up next to us at the light. I noticed him by the weeeeee...WEEEEEEEeeee sound as he revved his engine.

You know what happened next...

Light turns green and the civic goes WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee as he dragged out his clutch from high revs. Meanwhile I just stomped on it from idle and ripped him a new one and pulled about 3-4 cars all the way to 60 mph where I let off.

By the way...

We were in our Toyota HIGHLANDER SUV, NOT the Maxima!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stevte...ander3_250.jpg

:laugh:

mAdD MAX 12-22-2002 11:48 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC

You, my friend, are a sad sad man! :D What does your fiance say about this?

You should get your own dyno for Christmas!

hlh0501 12-23-2002 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Synki
I think about it if that happens. :o

Then I will let you know. ;)

ditto.

ranmas2004 07-21-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187 (Post 1293141)
I'm used to getting beaten by all motor civics at import events. Turbo/nitroused civics usually don't have a problem with me unless they are still on the stock motor, in which case they are usually still slow.

Wow...I just happen to run across this post. I got a friend in Chicago that has an all motor K24/20 engine in a type R integra with EVERYTHING added on it. 12.5:1 compression ratio, cams, intake manifold, springs, cam gears, etc......he ran an 11.8 in the 1/4 mi......that car is awesome.

locknuts27 07-21-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004 (Post 8130091)
Wow...I just happen to run across this post. I got a friend in Chicago that has an all motor K24/20 engine in a type R integra with EVERYTHING added on it. 12.5:1 compression ratio, cams, intake manifold, springs, cam gears, etc......he ran an 11.8 in the 1/4 mi......that car is awesome.

Bro, you posted on a thread that is like 10 years old. lol Just saw the dates on the posts, holy crap!

Jeff92se 07-21-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004 (Post 8130091)

I'd rather have a pretty much stock mustang and run those same numbers:
http://www.thisweekinmotors.com/2011...-street-tires/

F35-JSF 07-21-2011 11:17 AM

Wouldn't bother me at all. You work with what you have and can get. I like the vids of the dodge caravan that can make a z28 at the track

JAY25 07-21-2011 11:50 AM

Now that Im repairing Hondas, if one keeps up or beats you! thats some mad props for the little torque less machines. I drive one because they are great on Gas mileage. As far as modding it I dont think the tranny can handle the abuse IMO. But like I said if a little civic beats you mad props to it.

gh4538 08-04-2011 06:13 AM

I remember 4 years ago I was in my Volcanic Orange R33 GTR V-Spec. I was merging from the on-ramp of a highway. I saw a Civic terrorizing any car that he could. Slowing down and then taking off. I snuck up on his right quarter and slowly got even without him noticing. My car had 5" Titanium exhaust. As soon as he made eye contact I launched it. The sound was deep and loud. He jumped out of his seat. As he became a tiny speck in my rearview mirror I saw him exit the next off-ramp. Classic!

Sorry that I had to sell that car but I had too much $$ wrapped up in it. Here is a video that a "stalker" took of me and my car. I had just put it in the dirt at a racetrack and broke the Nismo front spoiler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mxR0WnVpA