Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Put in my Y pipe today (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/13588-put-my-y-pipe-today.html)

ericdwong 01-07-2001 01:47 AM

I finally got around to putting in my Cattman Y stainless pipe. It was a pain in the *** at some parts to put in, cause bolts either were stuck or being stubborn... etc. Anyway, after some scrapped knuckles and foul language, I took her out for a spin. The car is not louder at all (good thing), no bees in the can sound or anything like that. But the differnence in power is amazing. If I nail the gas anywhere in 1st gear it breaks the tires (225 50 16) completely loose. I spin a good portion of 2nd gear as well. Definately a difference. Now I think I got the upgrade bug....

tan_camry 01-07-2001 02:01 AM

Hey Eric,

You know...right now I'm pretty torn between a 3s-gte transplant and a 1mz-fe transplant (add the SC also)....can't seem to make up my mind. We got a 4 banger that should be easier to work on, plus the inherent benefits of the "G" head...or a V6, then add a SC, from SCC dynoed at 243 hp at the wheels (with the TRD muffler), calculated to be 282 hp at the crank....decisions, decisions, decisions.

BTW, Monday I'm starting my part time job as a design engineering designing automotive instrument clusters (and gauges)...to get beer money and upgrades money.

Talk to you later

tan

P.S. Trying to find more info about Twatboy, that nitrous sucking idiot that are giving Camry owners (especially the forum) a bad name. ANy good info, send it my way

got rice? 01-07-2001 10:01 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I finally got around to putting in my Cattman Y stainless pipe. It was a pain in the *** at some parts to put in, cause bolts either were stuck or being stubborn... etc. Anyway, after some scrapped knuckles and foul language, I took her out for a spin. The car is not louder at all (good thing), no bees in the can sound or anything like that. But the differnence in power is amazing. If I nail the gas anywhere in 1st gear it breaks the tires (225 50 16) completely loose. I spin a good portion of 2nd gear as well. Definately a difference. Now I think I got the upgrade bug....
I know it's of no help now, but preparation is the key! Spraying down exhaust bolts with Liquid Wrench or some other penentrator a few days before the remove/install helps a lot. If you ever install a cat-back, squirt down the bolts several days ahead of time and it should make things a little easier for you.

bullseye 01-07-2001 02:49 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Congrats on the new Y-pipe. Now change your sig!

FAST4EN 01-07-2001 02:54 PM

bah...he beat me to it...i was gonna tell him that...oh well

Synki 01-07-2001 03:39 PM

Congrats on the Y, i think its time for me to install one now. :D How long did it take you and did you use jack stands or s lift?

TexMaximum 01-07-2001 03:54 PM

It really is the best bang for the buck. Now I hope another equally satisfying mod would come out for our cars other then the SC, which is costly.