Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   RSB install - ramps or jack stands?? (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/143568-rsb-install-ramps-jack-stands.html)

Bluesbrekr 03-12-2003 05:11 PM

RSB install - ramps or jack stands??

I'll be installing my Addco this Sat. I've read the how-to's. Some say use ramps, others use jack stands. Is one better than the other?

Kinda nervous about backing up the ramps with my MT, but I'm thinking it would be better to install the RSB with the weight of the car on the tires/axle...or doesn't this matter?

UMD_MaxSE 03-12-2003 05:16 PM

use jack stands... taking your rear wheels off will give you more space to work with.

meccanoble 03-12-2003 05:39 PM

^^^^ he's right but ramps are much safer...

99NJMAX 03-12-2003 06:38 PM

I'd have to agree with UMD_MaxSE. I just did my RSB last weekend and after my wheels were off It was easy. You have some much more room to work with.

96BLUMAX 03-12-2003 06:40 PM

I did mine without any of that. Granted it was probably harder that way but i was young.

JeffesonM 03-12-2003 06:40 PM

I too was a little iffy about backing up onto the ramps with the MT because I hadn't been driving stick that long when I got the RSB. But after a few tries and a little clutch abuse I got it up there okay. The install was very easy. I remember hearing somewhere that the suspension should be under load when installing one of the bars, but I can't remember if its the RSB or the FSTB, or both.

Bluesbrekr 03-12-2003 06:55 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM
I too was a little iffy about backing up onto the ramps with the MT because I hadn't been driving stick that long when I got the RSB. But after a few tries and a little clutch abuse I got it up there okay. The install was very easy. I remember hearing somewhere that the suspension should be under load when installing one of the bars, but I can't remember if its the RSB or the FSTB, or both.
I think I recall reading about being under load, too. (for the RSB) It would make sense. I've driven stick for many years, but not up many ramps. Backing up the ramp is the easy part...it's stopping once the car reaches the top!!!

HSVMaxima 03-12-2003 07:10 PM

I just did this install last weekend. I used Rhino ramps from Wal-Mart ($30). I did not have any problems using the ramps. Granted with the wheels off you have a much easier time getting to the ABS stuff. Either way is fine. Do whatever makes you comfortable.

DerekJ212 03-12-2003 07:30 PM

Can I use a lift to do this?

gtr_rider 03-12-2003 07:56 PM

Try this:

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=12

96BLUMAX 03-12-2003 09:51 PM

O of course your site has info.:D

02'maxed-out 03-12-2003 10:48 PM

go with jackstands...

meccanoble 03-13-2003 07:55 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Try this:

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=12

ahh, good ol rosewood/burgundy :)

Lordrandall 03-13-2003 09:21 AM

I jacked the rear of my car up, then put blocks under the weels so the rear suspension could be 'under load'. No worries about backing up on ramps.

Pics on my homepage.

<--

Shaydz 03-13-2003 09:41 AM

Jack Stands... You need to undo the brake line from the frame to get the clamp adjusted right (at least on a progress bar). You'll need to adjust and re-tourque after putting it bak on the ground anyway.

A LOT more room to maneuver on stands rather than a ramp. (Don't forget the E-brake)

Ramius83 03-13-2003 09:44 AM

Only when doing the RSB should you use ramps, the rear suspension needs to be under full load in order to get the RSB properly calibrated to be efficient....

Shaydz 03-13-2003 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
Only when doing the RSB should you use ramps, the rear suspension needs to be under full load in order to get the RSB properly calibrated to be efficient....
You mean the Rear TOWER Support Bar (mounts inn the trunk between the Strut Towers), right? Not the bar that mounts underneath the car.

Bluesbrekr 03-13-2003 10:38 AM

About 50/50

on using ramps or jack stands. Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go with the ramps to keep the suspension under load. Probably take more time, but that's ok.

Thanks for all the links to pics and how-to's!!

HSVMaxima 03-13-2003 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

You mean the Rear TOWER Support Bar (mounts inn the trunk between the Strut Towers), right? Not the bar that mounts underneath the car.

I think he is referring to the RSB. It's a matter of debate, but the RSB is supposed to installed with the car supporting itself not jacked up, in order to alleviate some "fit" issues. Don't get me wrong, you can do this install on stands or on ramps. You'll find people who have done both. It's more whatever you are comfortable with.

gtr_rider 03-13-2003 12:28 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
O of course your site has info.:D
:kiss: