General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 11:35 AM

Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

The Quaker State guy said i needed a "full motor flush", and showed me some dark looking oil (usual gig). I have a 2k with 34k mi, use full synthetic and change oil regularly. It cost $99 (including oil change.)

What is it?
Do I actually need one?

Thanks in advance

B
Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM

Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by BJGemini
The Quaker State guy said i needed a "full motor flush", and showed me some dark looking oil (usual gig). I have a 2k with 34k mi, use full synthetic and change oil regularly. It cost $99 (including oil change.)

What is it?
Do I actually need one?

Thanks in advance

B
What was his reasoning? I have a 2k with 63K and my Nissan guy said it is fine. I would be cautious of this character
Old 03-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

What is it?
Do I actually need one?

Thanks in advance

B
Simple answer. No.

If you have been vigilant in your oil changes (I.E. syn with proper filter switchouts or what have you) this should not be an issue. As per the great bill99gxe:
-color has NOTHING to do with ability to protect your motor-

Run as FAST as you can from this guy.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

What is it?
Some kind of petroleum based detergents that "remove" gunk from the inside of the motor. If you change oil regularly and use 91...this should not be an issue.

Do I actually need one?
No
Old 03-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is it?
Do I actually need one?

Thanks in advance

B

If you do need a full motor flush do it yourself. Buy 9qt of oil and do it yourself. Don't spend $100 on that. Unless he's talking about having all your fluids flushed, that might be a deal. But only having 34k shouldn't call for that. You shouldn't have to do that until 60k.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by hacim105

If you do need a full motor flush do it yourself. Buy 9qt of oil and do it yourself. Don't spend $100 on that. Unless he's talking about having all your fluids flushed, that might be a deal. But only having 34k shouldn't call for that. You shouldn't have to do that until 60k.
why 9 quarts? dont you pour the flush into the old oil, run it for a few minutes then change it?
i thought i heard somewhere that pouring diesel(maybe it was just taking it out of context) fuel through your motor w/o running it, then allowing it to evaporate cleaned it out really well (assuming the oil was drained prior to and after).
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

why 9 quarts? dont you pour the flush into the old oil, run it for a few minutes then change it?
i thought i heard somewhere that pouring diesel(maybe it was just taking it out of context) fuel through your motor w/o running it, then allowing it to evaporate cleaned it out really well (assuming the oil was drained prior to and after).

Well you don't need 9qts but it is recommended. it takes 4.5qt to fill your oil up. So you drain out the current oil. seal it back up. Add new oil, start engine probably rev it a little to make sure oil moves around. Then drain that oil and refill with 4.5qt.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by hacim105

He had this "machine" that he says does it. I guess sort of like dialysis for your engine.

Originally posted by Colonel

If you have been vigilant in your oil changes (I.E. syn with proper filter switchouts or what have you) this should not be an issue. As per the great bill99gxe:
-color has NOTHING to do with ability to protect your motor-

Thanks for the speedy response. $100 saved by the org. Total has to be >$1000 now.

B
Old 03-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What is it?
Do I actually need one?

Thanks in advance

B
the process removes sludge and other debris from your oil pan, valvetrain, any where your oil travels.

High mileage cars (100,000+) are the ones that would mostly benefit from this process. Another one to keep an eye out for is throttle body cleaning or fuel injection system cleaning. Again these are worthwile services for high mileage vehicles not ones with 34k.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by speedtrip

the process removes sludge and other debris from your oil pan, valvetrain, any where your oil travels.

High mileage cars (100,000+) are the ones that would mostly benefit from this process. Another one to keep an eye out for is throttle body cleaning or fuel injection system cleaning. Again these are worthwile services for high mileage vehicles not ones with 34k.
any way to clean the injectors while they're on the car other than with fuel tank injector cleaner or should i just goto nissan and spring the $90 or so it costs for "backflow" cleaning or whatever its called?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

..."backflow" cleaning or whatever its called?

I would like to know more about this if anybody knows. I always was under the impression the nissan injectors are sensitve and cleaners should not be run through them?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:09 AM

"color has NOTHING to do with ability to protect your motor"

This is a very true statement. Amsoil has an engine flush that costs somewhere around $10 that does an incredible job at flushing the system. It was also listed in www.motor-oil-bible.com as being the best engine flush. I was told by a mechanic that I needed an oil flush at 15k miles
Old 03-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Virus

This is a very true statement. Amsoil has an engine flush that costs somewhere around $10 that does an incredible job at flushing the system. It was also listed in www.motor-oil-bible.com as being the best engine flush. I was told by a mechanic that I needed an oil flush at 15k miles
DOH...link doesnt work.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:58 AM

any way to clean the injectors while they're on the car other than with fuel tank injector cleaner or should i just goto nissan and spring the $90 or so it costs for "backflow" cleaning or whatever its called?
A good friend of mine works for a fuel additve company. They develop the additive packages that are put into fuel. Almost all off-the-shelf fuel injection cleaning products are watered down. The various fuel injection cleaning methods that dealerships employ are effective. Again this is something higher mileage vehicles benefit more from or if you got a bad tank of gas.

My friend made me a "home brew" fuel system cleaner. It was a small amount, the container was about the size of a salt/pepper shaker. It worked but the rear of my max was covered with black particles coming from the exhaust that took copious amounts of elbow grease to remove.

I also had good success with the Amsoil engine flush product. It looks and smells like kerosene but it works.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:05 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Virus

I did the Amsoil flush when I got my car (54k miles). The previous owner used dino-oil every 3k, and I wanted to switch to Amsoil. Amsoil recommends that you do this flush before making the switch. Did it do anything? I dunno, but for $10 I decided it was best to follow their instructions.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

A good friend of mine works for a fuel additve company. They develop the additive packages that are put into fuel. Almost all off-the-shelf fuel injection cleaning products are watered down. The various fuel injection cleaning methods that dealerships employ are effective. Again this is something higher mileage vehicles benefit more from or if you got a bad tank of gas.

My friend made me a "home brew" fuel system cleaner. It was a small amount, the container was about the size of a salt/pepper shaker. It worked but the rear of my max was covered with black particles coming from the exhaust that took copious amounts of elbow grease to remove.

I also had good success with the Amsoil engine flush product. It looks and smells like kerosene but it works.
what're the chances i can get my mits on some of this homebrew injector cleaner
any ideas on getting some that isnt watered down?
Old 03-19-2003, 06:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

what're the chances i can get my mits on some of this homebrew injector cleaner
any ideas on getting some that isnt watered down?
Let me ask him. I'll pm you when I get the info.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

It's rumored that a large percentage of the engine flush is kerosene. I have never been able to confirm it though.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

I'm also interested in getting the formula.

Can I get on the PM mailing list?
Old 03-19-2003, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by gotmaxwiltravel

I'm also interested in getting the formula.

Can I get on the PM mailing list?
Sorry that list is closed!

However I will email you the same info I sent to madmax024 to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:00 PM

thanks speedtrip, i bought a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner today, might just be the weather, but my injectors definatly don't tick as loudly.
we'll see how everything else goes. i might try and swindle a container of the concentrated cleaner from a dealer..
Old 03-19-2003, 08:19 PM

I was reading the back of the pourable berryman bottle and it said that you could put some into the gas tank to clean your fuel system. What do you guys think about that?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Sorry that list is closed!

However I will email you the same info I sent to madmax024 to point you in the right direction.
This wouldn't involve toluene now would it?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe......

Truthfully I don't know, although he has mentioned toluene on occassion. He's a funny guy though. He knows that I like to go to the dragstrip and race. He has offered on several occasions to put together a "special package" for me to boost performance. The only drawback is that when mixed with gasoline this addivitve will stain anything it comes in contact with red, including metal.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I asked him and this is what he said:

"Toluene is used as a solvent it is one of the lighter solvents so it can add a bit of octane boost as well. Although I’m wondering why anyone would use it since it is fairly expensive as solvents go. Most companies use what they call mineral spirits or mineral oils basically its kerosene or a blend of stuff from refineries which has no effect other than solvency."

I find the kerosene part interesting as this loops back to the Amsoil engine flush having similiar physical properties to kerosene.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor Flush (only asking since I can't search)

I asked him and this is what he said:

"Toluene is used as a solvent it is one of the lighter solvents so it can add a bit of octane boost as well. Although I’m wondering why anyone would use it since it is fairly expensive as solvents go. Most companies use what they call mineral spirits or mineral oils basically its kerosene or a blend of stuff from refineries which has no effect other than solvency."

I find the kerosene part interesting as this loops back to the Amsoil engine flush having similiar physical properties to kerosene.
Huh, he's the first one I've heard describe toluene as expensive. You can get a whole gallon if it at the hardware store for less than a small bottle of Techron.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 PM

Was at Hall Nissan today

getting an SES light looked at which Ill post in the future, and I picked up an interesting pamphlet on the motor flush. Ill scan it when i get home.

B
Old 03-20-2003, 04:13 PM

Engine flushes are a new source of revenue for quicklube places. They seem to be marketing it pretty well 'cause a lot of people are falling for the "the oil is dirty, you need a $100 flush".

Most engines with consistent <5k mile change intervals, with quality fluids, should never need a flush.

Find a new place for your oil changes.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:43 PM
T2CTeamShift

I

I think it is called a Beinstein Flush, it basically removes all the bul up sludge from your engine compartments, I would Highly recomend this, it extends your engine life, and you get back all your lost hp, like your Engine is brand new.