General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How frequently are u supposed 2 change your engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 06:58 AM
The missing moderator

Tim,

It's all good. Blackstone labs does out tests. Check out my sig and follow that link. Lord knows I hate Chemistry too...

-Shing

Originally posted by TBag
Originally posted by Shingles
Emm, why is it that everyone chooses to ignore the facts? No, I can care less if you want to change you oil every 100 miles. The reason we post is to present the facts, which is Mobile 1 synthetic is good for over 7500 miles. What's with the attitude anyways? It's attitude like yours that makes people not want to help... thus making the forums useless.

No one here is force feeding you to change you oil every xxxx miles. Only thing we are pointing out is you don't have to do it every 3000. What's so bad about that?

The fact of the mattter is that after 3000 miles, hell after a day after changing your oil your oil might "look the same" but it is not the same as the day that you put in fresh oil. It's gonna get dirty no matter what, am I right? Why doesnt everyone just do what they want to do?? Sounds like a damn infomercial board than a helpful one. If 3000 is too short and 7500 is too long for you..change it in between. Its your Maxima, do with it what ever YOU want to do. I change mine every 5000 on regular penzoil 10W-30 since I bought the car. That was 5 years ago with 170,000 on the odometer now. No problems what so ever, but now I use Mobil1 since installing the S/C and change it every 7500....not because you said so, my mechanic said so, because I want to.
Ma'bad man...no attitude...thanks for your facts and your opinion. But can I ask at what point you think we should change our oil? All the facts you present say that we dont have to change the oil at the national specified intervals, but how about you fellas, when should I change my oil? I dont have access to a Lab here and I sure as hell hate chemistry, so I cant check the contents of my engine oil.
Just curious. No hard feelings man, you've helped me plenty of times....

Tim
Old 02-15-2001, 06:59 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Do you

Originally posted by Shingles
Emm, why is it that everyone chooses to ignore the facts? No, I can care less if you want to change you oil every 100 miles. The reason we post is to present the facts, which is Mobile 1 synthetic is good for over 7500 miles. What's with the attitude anyways? It's attitude like yours that makes people not want to help... thus making the forums useless.

No one here is force feeding you to change you oil every xxxx miles. Only thing we are pointing out is you don't have to do it every 3000. What's so bad about that?

The fact of the mattter is that after 3000 miles, hell after a day after changing your oil your oil might "look the same" but it is not the same as the day that you put in fresh oil. It's gonna get dirty no matter what, am I right? Why doesnt everyone just do what they want to do?? Sounds like a damn infomercial board than a helpful one. If 3000 is too short and 7500 is too long for you..change it in between. Its your Maxima, do with it what ever YOU want to do. I change mine every 5000 on regular penzoil 10W-30 since I bought the car. That was 5 years ago with 170,000 on the odometer now. No problems what so ever, but now I use Mobil1 since installing the S/C and change it every 7500....not because you said so, my mechanic said so, because I want to.
Ma'bad man...no attitude...thanks for your facts and your opinion. But can I ask at what point you think we should change our oil? All the facts you present say that we dont have to change the oil at the national specified intervals, but how about you fellas, when should I change my oil? I dont have access to a Lab here and I sure as hell hate chemistry, so I cant check the contents of my engine oil.
Just curious. No hard feelings man, you've helped me plenty of times....

Tim
actually read the posts, or just plop random thoughts together?

And, may I quote Shing (which is also in italics above):

"The reason we post is to present the facts, which is Mobile 1 synthetic is good for over 7500 miles."

So, using your brain, you can conclude that Mobile 1 is good for AT LEAST 7500 mile change intervals. THAT is at what point Shing recommends changing the oil based on his $18.50 that he spent for EACH analysis (I believe he has done 2). That's right, it was sent to an independent oil analysis lab and analyzed. He spent his own cash to obtain these results......as myself and Jeff92se have done as well....

I'm beginning to wonder if this thread will ever die.....
Old 02-15-2001, 07:07 AM

Thanks Shingles.

Tim
Old 02-15-2001, 07:13 AM

Let me tell you something Bill--->

The thread is dead Thanks man

Tim
Old 02-15-2001, 07:13 AM

Oh geez....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TBag
My point is I change my oil when I feel I need to, I've been doing this for years. I've never even read your facts about engine oil and when I started using Mobil1, 7500 miles was my own interval change, not because I read your post.

Good for you.

Don't use the analogy about if you change your oil using synthetic oil at less than the interval YOU specified that you might as well change your tires at 1/3 tread.

Why, does the truth hurt you or something?

Friends on this forum take you and everyone as being a smart ***.

I guarantee you friends don't believe Jeff is the smartass here.

Post your facts and leave it be, how difficult is that??

Not difficult at all, until ignorant posters scrutinize and say he's wrong. Should he not defend himself?

Your help is appreciated more than you'll ever know, but just post the facts and leave it be.

You obviously have not been on the forum long, as facts just tend to get in the way around here...

Can you point me to the link about engine oil not getting dirty? I'd like to read that.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand oil does not get "dirty". It's the additives that are broken down by the metal/dirt/etc. particles OVER time. With synthetics, that tends to take a LOT longer than regular dino oil. Once the additives break down, the oil begins to act as an oxidizer and accelerates the wear on all the internal metal in your motor. The purpose of analyzing oil is to show that the wear metals are not above a certain average limit, thus proving that the oil is still lubricating properly instead of oxidizing.

No hard feelings brother....but the fact remains is that I change and do service on my vehicle when I know in my heart that my Max will appreciate it. I still dont have any complaints from her...and can you find anyone else on this board that has a S/C and 170,000 miles with the same engine and transmission off the showroom floor. *knocking on wood* hehehehe
It's all good man.

You have figured it out, but many others have not.....THAT'S why we keep posting and posting and posting...
Old 02-15-2001, 10:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Thanks Bill, I just read Tbag's reply. Bill's replies are words straight out of my own mouth.

Just one little thought on dirty oil. Well I could post serveral links regarding this issue. But after the 3-4th time, why? If you didn't read it the last 4 times, why would you read it now? That's why I invited you to post information on the other front. To give ADDITIONAL information, not repeat information. Sound logical?

But in general, since the advent of the modern OIL FILTER, oil "dirtiness" is not really the issure here is it? Bill's points regarding what dino oil does when it breaks down is. Or is it??

I'm glad to see your engine at 170k, is holding the supercharger well. I(nor Shing, Bill etc..) never ever took one ounce of credit for that nor we ever will. All we do is present facts, it's when people dispute those facts with illogical statements is when we have to come back here and fight for our rights. So I guess the point is YOU change your oil when YOU want to, not when anyone else TELLS you. Or is it when your mechanic tells you?? What we are saying is that your mechanic and some of us have come to the came conclusion. I, for the life of me, don't understand what's wrong with that? I use Shing, Bill, and countless others here on this board for information and have absolutely no problem telling them "great info" or "thanks for the input"

Okay let's have a good discussion here. Exactly why can't I use "if you change your oil every 3k, you might was well change your tires when they are only 1/3 worn"?? It really comes down to what people understand. And that's the only analogy that most can relate to. It got you interested right? I (we) posted numerous links to factual data but you didn't read it. This # or mileage is not based on MY opinion or MY feeling, it's a # based on my and other's research.

I can't tell if it's just you or your friends or whatever think I'm a smartass. Frankly I don't care. I present cold hard facts. If my facts or opinions are wrong then I say so. I guess I used to post in more of a friendly manner. It's sad that wading though the bs(in general not your post) in this board has made me a jaded person. Try presenting facts and then have to back them up 10-20 times I guess. Some people might take me as a smartass but when I post an reply, sometimes cold hard facts hurt.

Old 02-15-2001, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Thanks Bill, I just read Tbag's reply. Bill's replies are words straight out of my own mouth.

Just one little thought on dirty oil. Well I could post serveral links regarding this issue. But after the 3-4th time, why? If you didn't read it the last 4 times, why would you read it now? That's why I invited you to post information on the other front. To give ADDITIONAL information, not repeat information. Sound logical?

But in general, since the advent of the modern OIL FILTER, oil "dirtiness" is not really the issure here is it? Bill's points regarding what dino oil does when it breaks down is. Or is it??

I'm glad to see your engine at 170k, is holding the supercharger well. I(nor Shing, Bill etc..) never ever took one ounce of credit for that nor we ever will. All we do is present facts, it's when people dispute those facts with illogical statements is when we have to come back here and fight for our rights. So I guess the point is YOU change your oil when YOU want to, not when anyone else TELLS you. Or is it when your mechanic tells you?? What we are saying is that your mechanic and some of us have come to the came conclusion. I, for the life of me, don't understand what's wrong with that? I use Shing, Bill, and countless others here on this board for information and have absolutely no problem telling them "great info" or "thanks for the input"

Okay let's have a good discussion here. Exactly why can't I use "if you change your oil every 3k, you might was well change your tires when they are only 1/3 worn"?? It really comes down to what people understand. And that's the only analogy that most can relate to. It got you interested right? I (we) posted numerous links to factual data but you didn't read it. This # or mileage is not based on MY opinion or MY feeling, it's a # based on my and other's research.

I can't tell if it's just you or your friends or whatever think I'm a smartass. Frankly I don't care. I present cold hard facts. If my facts or opinions are wrong then I say so. I guess I used to post in more of a friendly manner. It's sad that wading though the bs(in general not your post) in this board has made me a jaded person. Try presenting facts and then have to back them up 10-20 times I guess. Some people might take me as a smartass but when I post an reply, sometimes cold hard facts hurt.

I completely agree with you Jeff, Im not gonna argue with you there. I dont spend alot of time on this forum and I do keep my opinions to myself and I dont get to keep up to date on all your posts. I have been a part of this forum since the beginning, whats it been now, say 3 years? And you are correct, this BBS has become jaded to the point that useful posts are not the norm anymore. But so what. All I have to say is Thanks to you,Shing and Bill for spending your hard earned money and your time moderating this site. There is no reason cold hard facts should ever hurt...helpful..not hurt. So you guys keep up the good work. My bad Jeff.

Tim
Old 02-15-2001, 11:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

I will also put up facts. But for a 4cyc SR20DE that does stop-n-go driving with a few trips in it for a 5k oil change of 5w30 mobil 1. I will send them oil in when its done. I have 4k on it right now, oil is dark, but still should be working fine. I trust Shing's findings. And I will report my own as well to everyone. My 4cyc rev's much higher than the Maximas at highway, 4k at 75-80 mph in 5th, so it might see more wear down, but thats why I will prove it.

Anyways, give me 1k more and it will be done.

Old 02-15-2001, 11:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

No problem Tim. Internet does funny things to normal people(including me)
Old 02-15-2001, 12:13 PM

Russ....

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
I will also put up facts. But for a 4cyc SR20DE that does stop-n-go driving with a few trips in it for a 5k oil change of 5w30 mobil 1. I will send them oil in when its done. I have 4k on it right now, oil is dark, but still should be working fine. I trust Shing's findings. And I will report my own as well to everyone. My 4cyc rev's much higher than the Maximas at highway, 4k at 75-80 mph in 5th, so it might see more wear down, but thats why I will prove it.

Anyways, give me 1k more and it will be done.
Thanks for the offer.

If you would, please use <A HREF="http://www.blackstone-labs.com/">Blackstone Labs</A>, and e-mail the results to Jeff, Shing, or myself and we'll update a spreadsheet that currently has our cars results on it. If you inquire by e-mail, they will send you an analysis kit. You will be charged $18.50 when they receive your sample back....