Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Anybody have quietest all out exhaust.... (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/17413-anybody-have-quietest-all-out-exhaust.html)

ericdwong 02-06-2001 09:18 PM

I'm slowly gonna redo my exhaust system little by little. However, I like quiet cars, so I'm trying to keep my car as quiet as can be. I have a Cattman SS Y pipe and a "quiet cold ram air" intake. I plan to add a R/T cat eventually, the Courtesy B pipe and a Y2K muffler for an all out quiet exhaust system. Anybody else have a setup similar to this? And how quiet is it?

Dave B 02-06-2001 09:59 PM

My mods are as follows:

modified stock airbox
Stillen Y-pipe
RT cat
Courtesy B-pipe
Stock muffler WITH a RESONATED TIP

I wrapped the flex section of my Y-pipe which quieted things down dramatically (something you don't need to worry about). The Courtesy B-pipe does add noise because of it's ~50% smaller resonator and slightly larger piping. The resonated tip helps smooth out the exhaust pulses and has given my car a rather BMW like purr. I never knew a simple tip could do so much. I'm still debating the 5th gen muffler. I don't know if really gives more power or not because some have dynoed with the muffler and they aren't making any more power than myself and I consider my numbers slightly low.

Dave

madmax2k 02-07-2001 08:06 AM

I am of the opinion that lots of money spent of exhaust mods (anything more than a Y-pipe) for a Maxima are not all that beneficial. On a 5th gen, I know for sure this is the case, regardless of what HKS claims for their new system. The 4th gen may be a different story however.

pjung_hej 02-10-2001 06:54 PM

Question for you DaveB

hey DaveB,

I have a question for you: what kind of resonated tip do you have and what's the brand? I have a very similar setup as you(except for the intake), and I want to get ride of the high pitch purr I believe from the courtesy B. Thanks a lot!

-Phil

Originally posted by Dave B
My mods are as follows:

modified stock airbox
Stillen Y-pipe
RT cat
Courtesy B-pipe
Stock muffler WITH a RESONATED TIP

I wrapped the flex section of my Y-pipe which quieted things down dramatically (something you don't need to worry about). The Courtesy B-pipe does add noise because of it's ~50% smaller resonator and slightly larger piping. The resonated tip helps smooth out the exhaust pulses and has given my car a rather BMW like purr. I never knew a simple tip could do so much. I'm still debating the 5th gen muffler. I don't know if really gives more power or not because some have dynoed with the muffler and they aren't making any more power than myself and I consider my numbers slightly low.

Dave

JULIAN 02-10-2001 08:00 PM

I have a Intake filter, Y-pipe, and 2K Muffler, and JWT ECU, my exhaust is very quiet stock like, until you press the pedal to the metal, then the it is actually the intake that makes the growling noise, not very loud but it is nice, otherwise everyday driving most people think the car is totally stock.

Dave B 02-10-2001 09:46 PM

Madmax-
I completely agree with you about the HKS exhaust. I had a HKS muffler on my Max with all my current mods and my ets stayed the same and my trap speeds went UP after putting my stock muffler on. I think many people believe they are going faster because their exhaust is so much louder.

Phil-
I tried e-mailing you, but my e-mail is screwed. The tip I have is a semi-retangular 3 1/2" resonated tip you can get at any rice shop or in any rice mag (~$40). The resonated chambers of the tip help to make the exhaust note more unifrom and make the exhaust a tad more deep. Who would have thought a tip would make such a difference. You'll need to cut about 3" off the stock muffler pipe so that you can use the resonated chambers of the tip. When you get the tip, you'll see what I mean.

Dave

pjung_hej 02-11-2001 08:25 PM

Thanks Dave.
BTW, Are you planning to go to the track with your "poorman's CAI"? I'm really interested to see if it outperforms the pop charger.

-Philip

Originally posted by Dave B

Phil-
I tried e-mailing you, but my e-mail is screwed. The tip I have is a semi-retangular 3 1/2" resonated tip you can get at any rice shop or in any rice mag (~$40). The resonated chambers of the tip help to make the exhaust note more unifrom and make the exhaust a tad more deep. Who would have thought a tip would make such a difference. You'll need to cut about 3" off the stock muffler pipe so that you can use the resonated chambers of the tip. When you get the tip, you'll see what I mean.

Dave
[/I]

bigtexan7 02-12-2001 02:45 PM

Dave, what were your dyno #s?

mingo 02-12-2001 09:52 PM

i'm running my stock exhaust system with dual resonated tips so now it's quieter than stock..
http://www.geocities.com/wenganator/rearcftips.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/wenganator/maxierear.jpg

PRPmax 02-13-2001 06:47 AM

resonated ???

I thought a resonated tip would make the exhaust louder ..

Dave B 02-13-2001 07:46 AM

Philip-
I have been itching to runu at the track for the past two weeks, but the weather keeps screwing with me. Our track is open on Sundays (weather permitting), but every Sunday it either rains or snows. This weekend doesn't look good either. Hopefully next weekend. I'll be dynoing in a couple weeks with the local SVT group. No other mods have been added so the results should reflect the gains/losses of the Poorman's CAI.

BigTexan-
My dyno was with a HKS intake, RT cat, B-pipe, and Y-pipe.

Dave

kajeno 02-13-2001 08:30 AM

Att: Dave

Eh Dave, Questions? What is your poor man CAI? Can you describe what you did? Any pictures? The intake I made (stillen like) is great now because it is cold here in Minneapolis, but I am worried about the hot summer gets here. I was thinking of a K&n drop filter and building a pipe to draw cold air somewhere. Anyway let me know what you did.
Thanks, Kajeno.

philpoe 02-13-2001 10:57 PM

Any links/pics for your intake?

I'm in the same boat as you and I want to get as much power as possible while keeping things quiet...

Any info appreciated

Originally posted by ericdwong
I'm slowly gonna redo my exhaust system little by little. However, I like quiet cars, so I'm trying to keep my car as quiet as can be. I have a Cattman SS Y pipe and a "quiet cold ram air" intake. I plan to add a R/T cat eventually, the Courtesy B pipe and a Y2K muffler for an all out quiet exhaust system. Anybody else have a setup similar to this? And how quiet is it?