Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Replace Manual Shift Knob... (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/26951-replace-manual-shift-knob.html)

Y2K1MaximaDevil 04-20-2001 06:36 PM

Ok, I know this is very stupid, but I can't seem to get this stupid knob off to change it with something else... How does it come off.. I know, I'm pathetic... Thanks!

ohboiya 04-20-2001 07:11 PM

if u do a search ... you'll see that ...

it's a lot of elbow grease required ... apparently u just twist hard! :gotme:

I'm 2 lazy 2 twist it off ... I'm just going 2 take out the shifter & put in a new one with a new boot & knob :laugh:

Originally posted by Y2K1MaximaDevil
Ok, I know this is very stupid, but I can't seem to get this stupid knob off to change it with something else... How does it come off.. I know, I'm pathetic... Thanks!

Y2K1MaximaDevil 04-20-2001 07:30 PM

THANKS!

LoL, that thing is stuck on there pretty good. It's a pain in the a** to take it off!! Oh well, I'll go take come creatine, do some arm curls and get to it! Thanks!

Jeff K 04-20-2001 07:54 PM

Use a strap wrench for a better grip and turn it counterclockwise. Nissan used a very stong clue.

irvine78 04-20-2001 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Jeff K

Use a strap wrench for a better grip and turn it counterclockwise. Nissan used a very stong clue.

not only did nissan used strong glue, there are two sleves wrapped around the shaft. what i had to do was pretty much sawed off the rubber knob and put on a new one. i'd figure i didn't need to keep the stock knob anyway...

NickStam 04-20-2001 08:27 PM

Maybe try heating it up with a blow dryer and then give it a twist.

Y2K1MaximaDevil 04-20-2001 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Jeff K

Jesus, this thing won't come off for the life of me! I think I have no choice but to saw the sucker off!

Jeff K 04-20-2001 08:42 PM

Jesus, this thing won't come off for the life of me! I think I have no choice but to saw the sucker off!

If you attach the strap wrench just below the ball part of the shift knob and give it one fast hard turn it should work. I'm yet to find someone that did this by hand...with out tools.

beaglemax 04-20-2001 09:15 PM

I used a pipe wrench with a rag around the knob to protect it. It came off without a problem.

wdave 04-21-2001 05:31 AM

It's glued on. A strap wrench will break it loose easily - you'll sprain your wrists trying to do it by hand. You will want to clean the glue out of the threads of the shift lever - it's 10mm x 1.25 thread.

Dave

Y2K1MaximaDevil 04-21-2001 08:43 AM

Originally posted by wdave

It's glued on. A strap wrench will break it loose easily - you'll sprain your wrists trying to do it by hand. You will want to clean the glue out of the threads of the shift lever - it's 10mm x 1.25 thread.

Dave

I'm going to get a strap wrench from my friend today and try to take it off. Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Czar 04-21-2001 11:59 AM

I need a shift knob!!!!

The leather wore off mine after 153K. If people are replacing their stock shift knobs with aftermarket please sell me your OEM!!! I need an OEM black leather shift knob if you guys are able to get them off without damaging them.
email me @ czarmar@hotmail.com

Y2K1MaximaDevil 04-21-2001 12:57 PM

Re: I need a shift knob!!!!

Originally posted by Czar
The leather wore off mine after 153K. If people are replacing their stock shift knobs with aftermarket please sell me your OEM!!! I need an OEM black leather shift knob if you guys are able to get them off without damaging them.
email me @ czarmar@hotmail.com

Sorry man, my knob got pretty messed up in the process of taking it off! =(.. Sorry