Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Gas prices on the rise again (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/288859-gas-prices-rise-again.html)

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 04:45 PM

Gas prices on the rise again

I see lately that gas prices are steadily rising. On the way to work today the gas prices at RaceTrac were $1.95/2.05 and 215 for the 3 different octanes. On the way home from work they were 4 cents more per gallon. Just a couple of weeks ago the prices were about 12 cents cheaper. Anyone here plan on taking any long road trips in the coming months. How wil gas prices affect your plans if you do? I plan on taking a few trips of 400 miles or less. I'll just spend the extra few bucks to do it.

Ant96GLE 03-09-2005 04:47 PM

Welcome to America... the arabs have us by the balls...

That said I saw on CNN that gas prices are to rise another 15 to 20 cents a gallon over the summer :(

By this time next year, SUV's will be real cheap :D

TXT-1 03-09-2005 04:48 PM

It will just keep going up. There's a possibility it may break the record. Oh well. I don't know about you, but gas is a necessity for my car to run, so I guess I have pay whatever it goes it up to. Sucks though.

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE

That said I saw on CNN that gas prices are to rise another 15 to 20 cents a gallon over the summer :(

By this time next year, SUV's will be real cheap :D

Funny you should say that about SUVs. I saw an Excursion for sale in a parking lot for $16K. It's a late model one. I figure you could get a loan for the SUV and an additional loan for $16K to gas that sucker up for a couple of years.

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
It will just keep going up. There's a possibility it may break the record. Oh well. I don't know about you, but gas is a necessity for my car to run, so I guess I have pay whatever it goes it up to. Sucks though.

Will you change your octane if you are currently using 92-93 to something lower?

Bobo 03-09-2005 04:54 PM

Rather than lower the octane, maybe some people will stop flogging their cars like a rented mule, lol!

Ant96GLE 03-09-2005 05:00 PM

I wont change my octane... but think about this. Almost everything we have is produced with oil... or somehow oil is involvoed. All machines use oil, gas, heating oil.. Plastics use oil... and a bazillion other things... theres not much we can do when we import 60% of our oil

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Rather than lower the octane, maybe some people will stop flogging their cars like a rented mule, lol!

I noticed that a lot of pickup trucks in my area are driving slower now. I drive my car sensibly most of the time but it's hard to drive a Max like a granny all of the time. Those horses like a little excercise. My car sees WOT a few times a month.

Y2KSESteve 03-09-2005 05:01 PM

Our prices went up 10 cents in the past week. I just paid 2.26 a gallon for 91 octane.. :(

Ant96GLE 03-09-2005 05:01 PM

I just paid 2.17 today for 93 and thats VERY cheap. Every where else its about 2.35

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 05:02 PM

I wont change my octane... but think about this. Almost everything we have is produced with oil... or somehow oil is involvoed. All machines use oil, gas, heating oil.. Plastics use oil... and a bazillion other things... theres not much we can do when we import 60% of our oil

Also the poeple that ship things will have to pay more for fuel. They will pass those higher costs on to the end users.

Ant96GLE 03-09-2005 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
Also the poeple that ship things will have to pay more for fuel. They will pass those higher costs on to the end users.

I cant wait for our new contract... I need that raise for gas money :slant:

Barc 03-09-2005 05:11 PM

My father spoke to a friend who owns a gas station over the weekend (Sat). He was told that he had to raise his prices by 15 cents a gallon over the next week. It was already at $2.19 for 93. $2.34 / gallon? Ouch!

It is currently $2.13 - $2.15 here and $1.99 - $2.18 where I work with an average of around $2.09. I hope it comes down but I can only see it going up for the next few weeks.

I think I need to install one of those Tornado air swirlers... Or maybe an electric supercharger... Those save gas, right?! lol

Frank Fontaine 03-09-2005 05:15 PM

I see lately that gas prices are steadily rising. On the way to work today the gas prices at RaceTrac were $1.95/2.05 and 215 for the 3 different octanes. On the way home from work they were 4 cents more per gallon. Just a couple of weeks ago the prices were about 12 cents cheaper. Anyone here plan on taking any long road trips in the coming months. How wil gas prices affect your plans if you do? I plan on taking a few trips of 400 miles or less. I'll just spend the extra few bucks to do it.

I'm just being honest, short of $3.00, I doubt I'll change my habits. There are 6 people living in my town, who work on my floor, yet there is absolutely no possiblity of a car pool. Pretty pathetic, huh? So we each drive our vehicles 14 miles to work and idle our cars for 1 hour to get there.

Hey, I redid my kitchen about 14 months ago. The exact items that I used are now about 27% more expensive than last year. Factor in that China has stated they are changing their monetary policy, expect those cheap electronics to go away as well over time. Factor in 5% raises and bonuses getting smaller, our economic situation is very real. I'm just glad that I'm young enough to job-hop, because we as Americans have less buying power today we used to (though our homes are much more valuable ON PAPER)......

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barc
My father spoke to a friend who owns a gas station over the weekend (Sat). He was told that he had to raise his prices by 15 cents a gallon over the next week. It was already at $2.19 for 93. $2.34 / gallon? Ouch!

It is currently $2.13 - $2.15 here and $1.99 - $2.18 where I work with an average of around $2.09. I hope it comes down but I can only see it going up for the next few weeks.

I think I need to install one of those Tornado air swirlers... Or maybe an electric supercharger... Those save gas, right?! lol

You ever watch how fast the dollar part of the pump runs compared to the gallon part?

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I'm just being honest, short of $3.00, I doubt I'll change my habits. There are 6 people living in my town, who work on my floor, yet there is absolutely no possiblity of a car pool. Pretty pathetic, huh? So we each drive our vehicles 14 miles to work and idle our cars for 1 hour to get there.

Hey, I redid my kitchen about 14 months ago. The exact items that I used are now about 27% more expensive than last year. Factor in that China has stated they are changing their monetary policy, expect those cheap electronics to go away as well over time. Factor in 5% raises and bonuses getting smaller, our economic situation is very real. I'm just glad that I'm young enough to job-hop, because we as Americans have less buying power today we used to (though our homes are much more valuable ON PAPER)......

No possibility of car pooling yet? :laugh: I work 24 miles from my job and I have never car pooled in my life. I like to come and go on my own schedule.

Bobo 03-09-2005 05:27 PM

It helps to consolidate shopping trips/errands and avoid putting on needless miles. Also using shanks pony and walking to the corner store once in awhile wouldn't hurt, lol!

Zero Deuce SE 03-09-2005 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
It helps to consolidate shopping trips/errands and avoid putting on needless miles. Also using shanks pony and walking to the corner store once in awhile wouldn't hurt, lol!

That sounds quite UnAmerican. :chuckle: You know how wasteful we are.

Ant96GLE 03-09-2005 06:09 PM

http://www.jsonline.com/news/image2/laden100701.jpg

"Fat lazy american infidels"

Maximan190 03-09-2005 09:09 PM

looks like the best bets are Exxons tiger tuesdays or redneck no name joe schmo gas stations

panda_1 03-09-2005 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
looks like the best bets are Exxons tiger tuesdays or redneck no name joe schmo gas stations

but believe it or not that joe schmo gas is crap, car doesnt seem to run the same with it in the tank, prob cuz they mix it wit alchy.

Puppetmaster 03-09-2005 09:54 PM

You ever watch how fast the dollar part of the pump runs compared to the gallon part?

Nice way to put it... $2.19 over and rising for 93... :)

Barc 03-10-2005 03:26 AM

Gas went up 3 cents over night and something like 2 cents yesterday. A nickle in about 24 hours is quite a hit... especially considering my little amber gas pump light just lit up on my dash. Sigh. There goes $30+ into the tank!

I remember fondly when the dollar part of the pump went up slower than the gallon part. That was nice.

Zero Deuce SE 03-10-2005 03:36 AM

You trying to get this thread locked? :tmi: :spin:

*Edit* This just in.

Shell gas is $2.03/2.13 and 2.24 for the 3 grades and diesel is $2.24 a gollon. I wonder what the prices will be tomorrow.

TXT-1 03-10-2005 06:38 AM

No possibility of car pooling yet? :laugh: I work 24 miles from my job and I have never car pooled in my life. I like to come and go on my own schedule.

We don't need no stinkin' car pooling. I have trouble getting along with other drivers outside of my car during my daily commute. The last thing I need is trying to deal with people inside my car on the way to work.

Zero Deuce SE 03-10-2005 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
We don't need no stinkin' car pooling. I have trouble getting along with other drivers outside of my car during my daily commute. The last thing I need is trying to deal with people inside my car on the way to work.

I feel ya. I don't even wear my work boots in my Max. If I had to ride other people in my car, I would have to do a lot more cleaning of the interior. :gapteeth:

SkoorbMax 03-10-2005 07:42 AM

Most peopel still don't care, and continue to buy cars that suck balls with gas economy. Personally I am going to do my best not to complain, even when gas hits $3 (it will...maybe not this year or next, but obviously it will continue to rise, even if it troughs for a little while). As long as I'm driving a car that's got admittedly poor gas economy, I have no leg to stand on when I complain.

As much as I don't _like_ paying $2.15/gallon, I LOVE that people with big road-tanks have to fill up twice a day :)

BTW, people should be getting the citibank divident platinum mastercard or whatever it is: 5% off gas, groceries (well, anything from a supermarket), and drug stores. Takes a dent out of this stuff.

FWIW I'm not letting this affect my driving at all. I'm from Canada originally, and gas is still cheaper than it has been in many years in Canada, plus I make the US bucks, so no problems :D

LOL.

Only when gas prices consistently stay high will we really have the economic motivation to properly implement and research alternative energies.

I'll admit gas prices would motivate my next car purchase, as they did my last, but now that I've got two maximas, I'm not going to ***** foot on them just to drive a few more miles a tank. That's fine, since I normally drive fairly tamely anyway, but i've got enough spare money to rag on it when I like :D

tavarish 03-10-2005 09:14 AM

i had to pay $1.91 per gallon and i'm pissed.

2K3MAX2NV 03-10-2005 09:47 AM

i was using 89 octane and i recently switched to 93 and the car get more miles to the gallon just paid $2.13 a gallon for 93 yesturday.... 2 wks ago it was $1.98 I could get 3 quarters of a tank now only little over a half..gotta love it

maxgtr2000 03-10-2005 09:54 AM

I paid $2.09 for 93 octane on Monday, funny thing is, as soon as I catch the price hike on google I try to get gas before they hike it another few cents. people do need to do something about dependence on foreign oil though, it's ridiculous right now and will get worse as the summer comes.

kingofsorrow 03-10-2005 10:47 AM

no, it's your Jewish run govenment that has you by the balls. they get the oil dirt cheap from the arabs and then jack up the prices here in the U.S. to pay fpr an unjustified war.

Y2KMaxGXE-R 03-10-2005 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
no, it's your Jewish run govenment that has you by the balls. they get the oil dirt cheap from the arabs and then jack up the prices here in the U.S. to pay fpr an unjustified war.

Get your anti-semitic sorry *** out from here, punk! Jewish ppl are no different than anyone else, going to school, working hard, and make an honest living. You owe an apology to jewish folks here.

Y2KMaxGXE-R 03-10-2005 11:02 AM

Driving habits will change if provoked enough. Even though some people can afford to pay for gas, it may be a total waste to spend the money on gas rather smthg else. Big SUVs and powerful engines are nice, but if they can't make them fuel efficient enough, they gotta go. Too bad that today's low displacement 4 bangers dont offer decent MPG.

kingofsorrow 03-10-2005 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Get your anti-semitic sorry *** out from here, punk! Jewish ppl are no different than anyone else, going to school, working hard, and make an honest living. You owe an apology to jewish folks here.

i'm not anti semetic you ignorant hick. just stating a plain and simple thruth. check your goverment's budget and see where most of the international aid goes. Israel. innocent americans are fighting and dying for someone else's agenda.

kingofsorrow 03-10-2005 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

why don't ask the dude who made the anti-arab statement to make an apology to the arabs? hhhmmm. that's what i thought, you're agenda's are so one sided.

JClaw 03-10-2005 11:20 AM

Keep crying guys. I pay 93 cents a liter here in Canada, that's 3.60$ a gallon.

Wanna know what's worse? I drive my 89 Tempo beater in the winter, it uses 87 octane. That's right, 3.60$ a gallon for 87 octane. Can't complain though, once we had it up to 1.07$ a liter for 87(regular) octane. That's 4.14$ a gallon. The max takes 91 or 94 octane, depending on how I feel. 94 Octane, at that price, would be 4.86$ a gallon :hmmph: :tmi:

That would be 80$ to fill up. Of course, that's CANADIAN money, which equals roughly 2.33 1/2 US when the nine planets are aligned.

Jatan 03-10-2005 11:54 AM

$2.25 Shell 93 and it's around $2.30 for 93 mostly everywhere. Filled up with a mix of 87 and 93 :p

dialect1luv 03-10-2005 12:08 PM

man...

in san diego...

we dont even get 93 octane...

and the 91 octane we do have is at least 2.45 a gallon

so you guys ahve it lucky

MaximaPolak 03-10-2005 12:20 PM

Yes prices are going up. Around me though they are not over $2.00 for super yet. On my way to Florida though :hide: , I will be paying less and less for it :)

illmortal 03-10-2005 12:31 PM

regular gas went from $1.94 to $2.13.... i haven't checked out the 91 garde octane prices. This is here in broward county.