General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ever do anything that makes you feel really dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:03 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

I have a leak in a hose going from master to slave clutch cylinder.
Ordered the hose from DAVE B [mucho recommended, hes an awesome guy]
should be here real soon.

In the mean time, I have to add brake fluid every 2 days or so.

Today, opened up hood, took off the cap to the master cylinder fluid reservior, and it was pretty windy out.

The wind took the hood down, cracked the cap to the master cylinder reservoir, which was lying on the inner hood thing.

Not too bad though, 8 bucks through local nissan parts place.

But I felt really dumb though..

can't believe the damn wind was so powerful... I guess the surface area of hood does make it like a freaking sail lol
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

How about this: I have to add oil with every fill-up of gas (3.5 issues...). Last week, I stopped at the gas station to fill up and popped my hood to check the oil. There was oil all over my engine bay (those who know how much care I take to keep it clean can only imagine how I felt seeing my engine cover that way!). After looking all over the place for the leak and not finding anything, I decided the best thing to do would be to check the oil leve. That's when I saw just how stupid I was: I didn't put the dip-stick in all the way at the last gas station. Two quarts of oil, a tank of gas, a trip to the nearest carwash and a cleaning of the engine bay later I was on my way.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by GBAUER
How about this: I have to add oil with every fill-up of gas (3.5 issues...). Last week, I stopped at the gas station to fill up and popped my hood to check the oil. There was oil all over my engine bay (those who know how much care I take to keep it clean can only imagine how I felt seeing my engine cover that way!). After looking all over the place for the leak and not finding anything, I decided the best thing to do would be to check the oil leve. That's when I saw just how stupid I was: I didn't put the dip-stick in all the way at the last gas station. Two quarts of oil, a tank of gas, a trip to the nearest carwash and a cleaning of the engine bay later I was on my way.
Pure genius.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Karim
Pure genius.
MaD tYtE ShEiT, yO!

...don't worry, teh engine cover is clean and sparkly again. I waxed it yesterday...
Old 02-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Mass_Media™

Damn H4xOrZ
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM

sigh......I hate to tell this but here goes.. first week I had my max I was installing my stereo system, had both doors open and was parked in the driveway, while I was removing the piece around the shifter, I had to put the car in neutral....... a few minutes later I had to run inside the house to get something, when I came out, my car had rolled back and the door got caught on a shrub, it made a little crease on the front of the door because it bent back so far....... sigh....... sure does suck!!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:04 AM
UCF Lexus

Damn H4xOrZ
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 AM

First day of owning the car I was cleaning it and going to vacume it. I was lazy and didn't feel like finding and running an extension cord so i grabbed our inverter and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. I then plugged the vacume into the inverter and obviously blew out my cig lighter. I haven't had a cig lighter since =\ and i really need one so i can use my radar detector.

I've replaced the cig lighter since the entire thing was a blown out black color. I also checked every fuse and still it doesn't work. I put a volt meter on the wires that plug into the back of the lighter and there's no current so I'm out of ideas as to what the f happened. I am going to get it fixed next summer before i go to college i guess.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:13 PM
will fly for food

Damn H4xOrZ
Old 02-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Wake up in the morning.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Droppin logs

I have never done anything stupid in my life...ever, including not going to a meet on the wrong day.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:03 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Damn H4xOrZ
Old 02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slimer

Damn H4xOrZ
OK, I don't get it guys. Someone fill me in on that one?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Hit 'em with the stun gun

Damn H4xOrZ
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was sneaking my car out when I was 16, and I had the door open to use my foot to push it because my parents would hear the engine start, but I forgot that there was a huge pine tree about a foot and half off the driveway and the door hit it and bent it pretty far back, and then it wouldn't close. I felt really stupid that night...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 AM

How's this for stupid? Raced and smoked a v6 Mustang on a public road ( stupid act #1) ...then flew by a Park City trooper doing 85 (leftover speed after "OH ****" braking ) ....stupid act #2 . Stupid act #3: Shouda asked for a V1 Radar detector instead of an iPod for Christmas.

125$ speeding ticket: NOT PRICELESS.....

I'd say thats about as stupid as it ever got with me and da Max.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 AM

After I installed my HS headers there was leak...

So in the effort to find it, I had to make sure that the rear manifold bolts were down all the way. They are a real PIA to get to, so I had to pull my upper intake manifold to get to it. Sooo, I removed the intake manifold and when I did the two front center bolts strip the holes out... So I have to Heli-Coil them to put the intake back on... (BTW: the rear manifold was tight), when I was tapping the hole for the Heli-Coil, my Fiance walked into the garage to ask me something and I looked up. When I looked up the damn tap slipped off the wrench and fell right down the lower intake manifold and was sitting right on top of one of the valves. If I had tried to get it down there I could not have, and thanks to the butterfly valves in the lower intake I could not reach it...

All in all I ended up having it towed to a shop to have them finish it because I was ready to kill someone or set my car on fire. It cost me about $200 to have it towed, the tap removed and have everything put back togeather. I got my ***** busted for two weeks after that from my older brother and father.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:22 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

in my hastyness to get my manual swap done, I didn't check if all the wires were secure, so on my first drive with the 5spd, my car started accelerating uncontrollably. I shut the car off (the clutch smell was horrible) and then turned it on, and the car still revved to redline. I opened the hood, and a harness was stuck on the TB. I moved it out of the way, turned on my car, and smelled clutch for 2 days.

Also, my axle came out, and i pondered the entire day of what it could be, I thought my clutch had gone out, and i was almost to the point of ordering a new clutch, but the next day (and $150 later for towing), I realised the axle had been popped out (again, from the hastyness of my swap, I didn't notice it wasnt in tight enough)

yea, I felt pretty dumb, and now I feel dumb for not knowing what the hell my starting issue is all about.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:45 AM

i once apon a time i posted things that had nothing to do with other peoples posts like "Damn H4xOrZ"... other people get flamed for things like talking about there cars or asking questions that are in the stickies.. no one flamed me for saying off topic things like that....oh wait that wasnt me.... J/K it would be funnier if more people knew what you were talking about....

hmmm on topic now, had nothing to do with my max... was in my old 66 chevelle, raced a friend got pulled over by a state trooper doing 132 in a 40mph steightaway...(DWHighway in Merrimack NH) and then proceded to make fun of the situation... Officer had no sence of humor and it ended up being a very bad night in jail..
Old 02-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Stupid stuff? I removed an AC hose and got coolant everywhere... that was probably 6 months ago and now that I actually need my AC sometimes it doesn't really blow cold =(.

Man, that scared the **** out of me.... *unscrew unscrew* PSSSHHHHHHH "AAH!"
Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Ever take a "shortcut" only to spend twice the time doing the same job?

I had an old Mits that crasked it's CV boots often. And I was getting tired of replacing them every year. So I thought I'd save myself some time and not disconnect everything. Just unbolt the bottom and pull the shaft out. But when I went to put it back in I couldn't get the axel back into the hub and the pin in the bottom of the knuckle. There wasn't enough play. After a day of struggle I gave up. And my buddy came over the next morning to have a look. He asks, "Would it be easier if you unbolt the anti-sway bar?" Yeah, helluva lot easier! Like done in 5 minutes easier! Why did I even bother to try and take shortcuts?!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
VK56 Inside

I broke a valve cover bolt off in the one of the heads of my Maxima.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:25 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

I junked a parts car with a VQ in it.(blown)

I also gave away my extra starter.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Rule #11

I once changed my oil...well, I thought it was oil. Turns out I used tranny fluid instead of oil. Another drain, and a few quarts later everything was fine...but man, did it **** me off wasting $40 like that.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Back from the dead

I once changed my axle. Stripped a strut mount bolt on the knuckle. Then spent 5 hours *****ing about it on the .org. Then i took the balljoint side off. Got the axle changed, flushed trans fluid. Ended up breaking the balljoint, need a new LCA and sway bar endlink, AND at the time forgot to tighten the trans pan bolt down all the way (i just tightened it a little bit when most of the fluid was out for the axle change) and when i pulled my car out the next morning i had a gallon puddle of trans fluid on my garage floor......
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Play with my balls

I read this thread..........

/dumbness
Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM

i saw a guy let his friend drive once, and the friend proceeded to floor the car backwards to show off and proceded to drive off the road and right into a tree. The owner got out of the car cursing to high heaven and proceeded to head over to the other side. he threw his friend out and got into the car, reved the car hard a couple of times and floored it forward..... only to dig himself into the mud. he kept flooring it to try to get out and end up blowing something.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 PM

dumbest thing i have ever done was on my old VG30E in my 1991 maxima SE, my pulling the upper manifold and lower manifolds off and not replacing the gaskets..... vacuum leaks everywhere!!!!!! ohh and takign the car back in the woods and gettign the car stuck for about 5 hours.. yeah the maxima
Old 02-21-2006, 09:59 PM

I've done a bunch of stupid stuff but most I can't remember because they were so minor. The one that sticks out was the time me and my friend were going to change my alternator. His father had just told us to not spill anything because they had just had their driveway done. Well there was a hose in the way and we felt it, not pressure, and decided to remove it. Turned out it was for coolant and it spilled everywhere. Had to push my car backwards and hose the driveway for a good amount of time. Not to mention be careful because it was still pretty warm.

With my previous car, the door locks on the outside of the car would not work. Since I had aftermarket keyless entry installed I did not have to worry about it. When I got it removed I forgot and ended up having to crawl through the trunk of my car to unlock the doors. I did that a few times in the few days I had it stripped because I was getting the Max.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Stupid stuff? I removed an AC hose and got coolant everywhere... that was probably 6 months ago and now that I actually need my AC sometimes it doesn't really blow cold =(.

Man, that scared the **** out of me.... *unscrew unscrew* PSSSHHHHHHH "AAH!"
yep. me too, when i did the AE mod, removed that hose and it went all in my face, haha.. scared the crap out of me also
Old 02-22-2006, 01:16 AM
V^___^V

i had altezza tailights and it was gay
Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 AM

1. i got married at 21
Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxmale
1. i got married at 21
winnar.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

we all do stupid things

I was on the way to the beach with a car full of friends and we stopped at the bagel store. I didn't realize at first, but i turned the car off without putting it into park. When I got back into the car and tried to start it, of course it wouldn't start and i started freaking out thinking that my car died. The stupidest thing is that this wasn't the frist time I did this.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 AM

^^How did you take the key out?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Back from the dead

In Location: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY You leave the keys in the car
Old 02-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Bought 2 driver's side Q45 calipers when I did the BBK, not realizing that the bleeder screw would be upside down when used on the passenger side. Realized that after I bled the brakes to death and the brake pedal was not doing jack.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 PM

At least your head wasn't in the way when the hood came down!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 PM

Keep in mind this was the first time I had my car. The right passenger side tire got slashed and my friend was helping me change it. He asked meto turn the wheel so being the ignorant newbie I was I sat in the car to turn the car on and turn the wheel. What happened next was my car fell off the scissor jack and the rotor backing plate was bent. Didn't notice this until a year later when I was doing my brakes and decided to have a look at the sound from the side that kept getting louder the faster my wheel rotates.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
retired moderator

years ago in my old integra, in a moment of complete "not paying attention" I poured brake fluid into my power steering reservoir when topping it off. This resulted in failure of the seals in the steering rack....voila! had to get a new steering rack......

sucks when the PS fluid and brake fluid bottles are the same color

Quick Reply: Ever do anything that makes you feel really dumb?