Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Powerade In Gas Tank (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/603825-powerade-gas-tank.html)

Leo_Koneval 12-02-2009 01:54 AM

Powerade In Gas Tank

Hello, this is probably a first; but I was Seafoaming my car at about 3PM today when I went inside to grab my other half full can of Seafoam when my little nephew saw the funnel still on the car and so he poured about half the bottle of Powerade into my gas tank, probably trying to copy what I was doing a few seconds ago.

So when I went outside I basically flipped out and saw him still pouring in the Powerade so I screamed and yelled all the way to the car and yanked it out. And so now in my tank there is gas, Seafoam, and lemon-lime Powerade.

I haven't driven the car and kept the engine off the entire day, and so I was thinking about siphoning the gas out but I am not sure if it would get all of it. I would really like to not have to drop the tank since I don't know how haha but if its a must, I think a few searches won't hurt haha

So what are your opinions?

And on a side-note my family wore out the little jokes like "maybe it will give your car a power boost" and "it'll replenish your car's fluids" and ect. So please, keep it to a minimum :).............................:mad:

MoncefA33 12-02-2009 07:02 AM

Drop the tank.

Conrad283 12-02-2009 07:05 AM

Drop the tank and do a good flush

bigpopaj369 12-02-2009 07:12 AM

definitely drop the tank flush it out good make sure everything is out of the fuel line

82maxtx 12-02-2009 07:23 AM

wow, yes, drop that tank. I'm sure it would only take a little bit of anything sugary to gum up your pump / lines. I know that dropping the tank will be a pain (ask me how I know), but it's better to be safe than sorry....

mist max2000 12-02-2009 07:37 AM

you could try this---> http://www.ehow.com/how_5042266_remo...-gasoline.html but i would prob drop the tank...

also.. be careful if you have a full tank its going to be heavyer then you think..+100 pounds...and weight of sloshing around liquid is alot harder to manage then something like a piece of metal..and not to mention.. make sure no one is smoking ..and dont dump it near anyone house....good luck.. gotta love kids...

ButtaMax 12-02-2009 07:59 AM

DAMN BRO!!!

njmaxseltd 12-02-2009 09:30 AM

I'd go the route of dry gas additive, maybe two or three bottles.
Fuel floats on water, so your going to start burning some of that stuff as soon as you start to drive it. It it runs OK with the dry gas additive, I'd drive it around as much as possible to get that tank burned up quickly. Use the dry gas for the next couple of fill ups too. You might be ok.

shadyonedeath 12-02-2009 05:36 PM

sugar :(

autobotguy 12-02-2009 06:24 PM

Powerade's got what cars crave! Because Powerade's gots electrolytes!

Seriously though...do as the others say. Drop the tank and do a system flush. :)

MoncefA33 12-02-2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by autobotguy (Post 7318733)
Powerade's got what cars crave! Because Powerade's gots electrolytes!

Seriously though...do as the others say. Drop the tank and do a system flush. :)

:laugh:

He said no jokes :nervous:

:mrgone:

hot_wax_tree 12-02-2009 07:51 PM

one guy said gas floats in water....so cut a little hole in the bottom of the tank till all the water is out then seal it with some duct tape......but serisouly that is one of the funniest things I have heard dude. this is a good story for my car buddys.....sorry.

oh and drop the tank.

Bjs470 12-02-2009 08:26 PM

man that reminds me of when some idiot poured the nos energy drink into his motorcycle lol but yea better safe than sorry on this...gotta love kids :laugh:

vqmaxman 12-02-2009 08:30 PM

OH....Man... Drop the tank and drain all of the gas out. Clean out the fuel lines with some fuel additives. Run the car with the STP cleaner on a full tank.

Leo_Koneval 12-02-2009 08:35 PM

Haha thankyou guys I am going to bring a mechanic friend I met from school over to help me out with the dropping of the tank tomorrow! This is bad news, because I am currently just about 1 tick away from being full, and so I am guessing its going to be one heavy tank.

And yes I was afraid of posting my humiliating story for the world to see, but at least I wasn't the one who pour it in. But the neighbors sure got a good laugh seeing me screaming STOP AHHHHH! NOOO! TAKE IT OUT TAKE IT OUT!!! ;)

OH AND PLEASE!!!!! Learn from my experience do NOT EVER leave the funnel in your gas tank unattended. I mean someone might as well could have pissed in there and you would not know :)

nsnrider 12-02-2009 08:35 PM

if it was me, i'd fill the the tank with gas and drive it, i doubt a bit of powerade is gonna hurt any thing. my drunken friend once filled up his car with diesel instead of gas. after it smoked for a while and a few tanks of good gas, car ran as good as new.

great story BTW.

Leo_Koneval 12-02-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider (Post 7318911)
if it was me, i'd fill the the tank with gas and drive it, i doubt a bit of powerade is gonna hurt any thing. my drunken friend once filled up his car with diesel instead of gas. after it smoked for a while and a few tanks of good gas, car ran as good as new.

great story BTW.

Oh it was about half a bottle, so I think it should be about the equivalent of 3/4 can of Seafoam.

And I thought about just driving away the Powerade, but wouldn't the sugar burn to the engine?

And all my friends couldn't stop laughing to give me any good advice so I turned to the .Org :(

MaximaSpd85 12-02-2009 08:49 PM

y not just go through the fuel pump area under the rear seat? would seem a heck of alot easier than dropping the tank. a local guy here bought a 4th gen with sugar in the tank, and he took a vacuum and sucked it all out underneath the seat. ran like a charm. or just undo a fuel line, but that would probably take a while im guessing.

JNCoRacer 12-02-2009 09:41 PM

You know, you're gonna laugh about this one day. But there's been some good advice given here. Best of luck.

chrome91 12-02-2009 10:00 PM

25th person to say drop the tank lol

but yeah, another reason why i'm antsy with people around my car, dont need to deal with sh!t like that.

and :rotz: to the dude that poured NOS in his gas can, still remember that. Just like DirtyLT1 with his Camaro that put brake cleaner and a bunch of other crap in his engine

BronxSleeperMax187 12-02-2009 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 7318021)
I'd go the route of dry gas additive, maybe two or three bottles.
Fuel floats on water, so your going to start burning some of that stuff as soon as you start to drive it. It it runs OK with the dry gas additive, I'd drive it around as much as possible to get that tank burned up quickly. Use the dry gas for the next couple of fill ups too. You might be ok.

^ what he said......I would do.

anomaly117 12-03-2009 06:44 AM

i would just dump in some powerthirst

:hide:

mist max2000 12-03-2009 06:59 AM

what kind of poweraid? lol if it happened to be poweraid zero...its made with sweatener not sugar...just sayin...

Stereodude 12-03-2009 07:23 AM

Can you get into the fuel tank from under the rear seat like in the 5th gen? That would be a lot easier than dropping the tank. You should be able to siphon out the tank from there. I wouldn't suggest a vacuum or anything else electric though.

82maxtx 12-03-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000 (Post 7319314)
what kind of poweraid? lol if it happened to be poweraid zero...its made with sweatener not sugar...just sayin...

I see where you'd THINK this makes sense, but think about it, it's still sticky anytime you spill that sh*t on your hands. I don't see that making much of a difference.... oh and it's SWEETENER, NOT SWEATENER that sounds really gross btw....

96nismoSE 12-03-2009 08:53 AM

^^ lol!! good call!

sciff5 12-03-2009 08:58 AM

Dont even need to throw my opinion in here because I agree with everyone else but hey.. one more for the post count.

Drop the tank, although some tanks have a drain plug so you dont have to drop em. I am guessing if the maximas had one, someone would have already said it though

82maxtx 12-03-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5 (Post 7319638)
Dont even need to throw my opinion in here because I agree with everyone else but hey.. one more for the post count.

Drop the tank, although some tanks have a drain plug so you dont have to drop em. I am guessing if the maximas had one, someone would have already said it though

mine has one:D not sure about newer gens having one though....

even my 82' 200sx has one come to think of it... I'd check that before dropping the whole thing. you said you hadn't even started the car since the incident, so it's probly not in your lines, maybe just drain it and fill it up with the good stuff.....

Leo_Koneval 12-03-2009 09:42 PM

Okay guys, tank was dropped and it was one of the heaviest things I have ever taken out of the car, I brought my friend over who knows this stuff and we could barely keep the tank still once it was out.

The sloshing gas was the hardest to control but after nearly dropping the tank (Literally) on the ground, $40 worth of gas was disposed of, and it seems like we are back in business!

Thankyou for all your help!

hot_wax_tree 12-03-2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval (Post 7320676)
Okay guys, tank was dropped and it was one of the heaviest things I have ever taken out of the car, I brought my friend over who knows this stuff and we could barely keep the tank still once it was out.

The sloshing gas was the hardest to control but after nearly dropping the tank (Literally) on the ground, $40 worth of gas was disposed of, and it seems like we are back in business!

Thankyou for all your help!

good to hear and thanks for great story!!

Jake

foodmanry 12-03-2009 11:38 PM

For future instances siphon the gas out of the tank first, then drop it. It would make it a hell of a lot easier to handle that way....

Matt93SE 12-04-2009 07:54 AM

What Manry said.... It's easiest to remove the rear seat, then the fuel pump, then siphon the tank out using a regular rubber hose. once the tank is as empty as you can get it, wipe the bottom down with a rag until it's dry to remove and remaining liquid.

pour a small amount of alcohol (1/2 cup or so) into the tank and wipe it down again.

Let it dry.

pull sock filter off fuel pump and clean- can't hurt anything, but I'm sure it didn't do any damage to the sock filter.

reinstall sock filter on pump and reinstall pump in tank.

fill with gas.

test drive.

reinstall rear seat.

choray911 12-07-2009 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE (Post 7321184)
What Manry said.... It's easiest to remove the rear seat, then the fuel pump, then siphon the tank out using a regular rubber hose. once the tank is as empty as you can get it, wipe the bottom down with a rag until it's dry to remove and remaining liquid.

pour a small amount of alcohol (1/2 cup or so) into the tank and wipe it down again.

Let it dry.

pull sock filter off fuel pump and clean- can't hurt anything, but I'm sure it didn't do any damage to the sock filter.

reinstall sock filter on pump and reinstall pump in tank.

fill with gas.

test drive.

reinstall rear seat.

:rotz:
NOOBS always do things the hard way. I would have just filled up the tank and driven a few hundred miles. If it was a N/A car.

nzelinsky 12-07-2009 02:22 PM

ouch... stupid kids! that sucks. I thought this was a joke when I saw the title on the thread

pktzygt 12-07-2009 02:46 PM

I'm curious where you take $40 of gas to dispose of it? I was trying to get rid of about $3 of kerosene and never did find a place.

Matt93SE 12-07-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by choray911 (Post 7325705)
NOOBS always do things the hard way. I would have just filled up the tank and driven a few hundred miles. If it was a N/A car.

The hard way?
Replacing the fuel pump and injectors because you're too lazy to do the job right the first time is doing it the hard way..

what I listed above takes about 30-45min. I've had to do it several times over the years for customers. You're guaranteed good results with that as well.

tigersharkdude 12-07-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval (Post 7318910)
But the neighbors sure got a good laugh seeing me screaming STOP AHHHHH! NOOO! TAKE IT OUT TAKE IT OUT!!! ;)

^^ this is pure win

should have had 2 ppl hold it, while a jack was under it. so you could roll it out. It would have been easier. ask me how i know.

Leo_Koneval 12-07-2009 06:32 PM

YES! FINALLY, someone put what I said in their signature... too bad it wasn't any of the other smart-*** things I said that I wanted to be put in a signature :(

Cruel world... cruel world.

But yeah, I have been driving my car for about 4 days now, and no codes, no stalling no nothing. So thankyou guys once again!

mist max2000 12-07-2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by choray911 (Post 7325705)

noobs?..hardly.... honestly you think driving with a sugar filled gas tank is a good idea :rolleyes:..one that wouldn't damage the fuel pump/filter/lines/injectors

and thats why im sure the OP is glad he isnt you...

choray911 12-07-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000 (Post 7326925)
noobs?..hardly.... honestly you think driving with a sugar filled gas tank is a good idea :rolleyes:..one that wouldn't damage the fuel pump/filter/lines/injectors

and thats why im sure the OP is glad he isnt you...

It wasnt raw cane sugar, it was already diluted. Its not like it was running on pure haterade. Plus it already had Seafoam, it would be fine. :rolleyes:
Its been tested. Start at 6:40.