General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

01 maxima crankshaft pulley broken please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 AM

01 maxima crankshaft pulley broken please help

Hi guys..
Went to start my maxima last night and heard a bang! Turns out the crankshaft pulley fell right off the car..Not that its a big deal but atleast it didnt break the belt.. Its a brand new belt I just replaced and it just fell off..Now I have I guess what you would call the outter ring of the pulley in my hand and the other part of the pulley still mounted to the car..It looks like there is some sort of material that wedges or binds the pieces together..Is there a way to fix this pulley or a total repalcement is needed. I heard there are pulleys that are solid pulleys that this does not happen to..My neighbor has a welder..If I was to have him weld these two pieces together do you think that would work?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Buy a new one.

The Nissan pulley consists of the center hub that is wrapped in a rubber insulator to absorb vibrations and then has the pulley pressed on.

You don't want to try to repair and/or reuse it. The rubber insulator has probably dried out and shrunk, allowing the pulley to come off. To try and get the pulley re-attached would probably have it off center, causing an out of balance situation.