General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wiper linkage came off, how to attach? With photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Wiper linkage came off, how to attach? With photos

First, I will confess that I sold my maxima a few years back and have a Rogue, but you guys have helped before and I am in a jam to fix this tonight so please forgive me.

Snow on the car the other day, not too much. I fired the wipers to clear it and heard a slight clunk, wipers weren't moving. I could hear the motor going so investigated tonight. Once I got into it I could see the linkage from the motor to the control arm was off. I couldn't see a means of securing it (nut?) nor any parts fallen off nearby. I reattached it, could see the spindles spinning and put the arms and blades back on. Same problem, no wiper movement. This time I pulled the whole unit and have it on my counter.

From what I can tell the arm and connection (bushing?) just attach, with a rubber piece that has a sort of suction. Is that all it is? It is not holding up that I can tell. See photos...

Also, if you go to page 91 of the FSM
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2008/WW.pdf

you can see the blowout, though it doesn't seem to help me.

Wife is refusing to drive the car without wipers (probably with good reason) so I need to get this fixed tonight.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 PM

I might as well post the solution should anyone else have the issue. This was a 2008 Rogue, for what it's worth.

First, how to ID the issue:

If wipers are not working, check if your motor is working. It is easy to hear it with all other noises (radio, etc) silenced.

If motor is working, pull the blade arms off. There is a dust cover (use a flat head screwdriver) then a 15mm nut. Arms will pop off. Turn wipers on and see if spindle is turning. If it is, you have a worn spindle connection on the wiper arms or spindle itself. If not, proceed...

Next pop hood, take cowl off (black thing where the pine needles collect). There are little plastic clips, just push them up from bottom and remove. I didn't remove the cowl, just pushed it up and out of the way.

Disconnect the wire clip from motor. There are 3 10mm bolts holding assembly on, one near motor, one on each side. Remove, and remove assembly.

Most likely one of the arms will be disconnected. You will need to replace the bushing. I used this

http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneou...gs/722730_0_0/

From what I can gather those are basically universal for Nissan, worst case is you are out $5. It say 98-01 but fit perfect in my '08.

The bushing should snap onto the ball, if it doesn't that is your problem. Remove the old bushing by destroying it (I used pliers). Once removed, you need to put the new bushing on a special way.

I ruined one, luckily there were two. Don't learn the hard way like me. Get two sockets, one that fits on the top of the bushing (to push it on evenly) and one that accepts the other side of the bushing (slightly bigger than the hole the bushing goes through). Put the sockets on each end and compress in a vice. One side of the vice pushes the smaller socket, which pushes the bushing through the arm hole. The other socket opening is bigger than the hole (so allows the bushing to come through) and is compressed on the other side of the vice.

There you go, long writeup but it might save someone time in the future.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Typical with the ladies, always doing the short cut, by turning on wiper with windshield full of snow, evidently damaging the wiper arm or the wiper transmission bar. So lazy when someone can't even get a ice scraper and get it off. I seen it a lot at my part store, wondering what is wrong with the people doing that.