Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Which would you buy? 4th, 5th or 5.5 gen (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/689146-would-you-buy-4th-5th-5-5-gen.html)

MAXSE5SPD 09-01-2015 06:47 PM

Which would you buy? 4th, 5th or 5.5 gen

I am really racking my brain so I am reaching out for some input. Long story short, I am looking for a daily driver. I have a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan as a project car/toy and a 2014 Nissan Titan for winter. I have had 5 Maximas and 1 I30, 3 4th gens, 1 5th and 1 5.5 gen. I am leaning towards either a 4th or 5.5 gen. I am well aware of the problems with all 3 generations. I can find 4th gen manuals for 1000-1800, a bit more for a modded one, and I can get 5.5 6spds that needs engines for 1200-1500 or a solid one for 2500. Parts are not an issue as I already work for Nissan and have quite a few parts laying around for all 3 generations.

What do you think?

ChrisMan287 09-01-2015 07:06 PM

4th gen >

Why are you looking to buy one though?

MrGone 09-02-2015 06:10 AM

A 1992-1994 SE or a 2002-2003 SE, everything in between was a mistake.

That said, within your parameters go 2002-2003 SE, it's definitely worth it, less worn out stuff, more power.

MAXSE5SPD 09-02-2015 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone (Post 9069425)
A 1992-1994 SE or a 2002-2003 SE, everything in between was a mistake.

That said, within your parameters go 2002-2003 SE, it's definitely worth it, less worn out stuff, more power.

^Agreed. Can't find a decent VE anywhere locally that isn't either an automatic or beat to hell.

mo neenja31 10-05-2015 07:47 PM

5.5 gens seem to be the best maintained in my area.

viking89 12-10-2015 08:16 AM

id go with a 5gen. best looks, reliable motor with no oil burning. slightly newer than the 4th gens. if its intended to be a DD the extra 15% power of the 5.5 gen shouldnt be a huge selling point considering youve got the 72 datsun for fun if you want it

vqmaxman 12-15-2015 01:55 PM

I honestly think the 4th gen is a good dd and the car is dependable and reliable but mechanically it's good. The 5th gen is good as the 5.5gen,but between the these two the oil burning issues on the 5.5 gens and the 5th gens there ecu and motor mounts and some other minor things that went bad.

maximaboy12 01-27-2016 08:27 PM

I would personally go with the 4th gen. I had one of those as my first car and loved it. I totaled it and got a 2002 SE and that car has been nothing but bad news since day one. Oil burning and the rattling is a huge issue with these things.

DennisMik 01-28-2016 02:45 PM

Do the 4th gen. I have done more than double the repairs to my 5th gen than I did to the 4th. I do think the 5th gen is more comfortable to sit in, but I would rather have the reliability.

Sam Maxima 01-28-2016 06:00 PM

5,5 gen for me

DuckSauce 02-26-2016 09:28 PM

4th gen here.

jspagna 03-15-2016 09:13 AM

Had a 2003 Maxima Se Titanium Edition since brand new and drove it for 12 years and gave it to my nephew with 126,000 miles and car still drove strong and looked great. IMO that car felt faster than my 7th Gen which I have 2 of.

Robert Baker 04-04-2017 07:16 AM

I'd love a 5.5 manual, but I'm poor, and settled for a broken 5th gen auto which im rebuilding currently. It needed, motor mounts, ECU fixed, idle control motor, battery, lower control arms, cv shaft seals, VAIS fixed, MAF, and lastly tranny solenoids. I'm buying the solenoids off of lux97max along with 2 oem headlights.

Itz Shak 04-04-2017 11:18 AM

5.5 gen

maximatech12 04-21-2017 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Baker (Post 9144103)
It needed, motor mounts

What brand did you wind up going with?

1950guy 09-23-2017 12:45 PM

Might have what you are looking for

I have a Black 2000 manual. Only 80k miles and near mint. Generally driven as our long distance car. Very little local driving and almost never in the winter. Stock except for Konig wheels. Still have original wheels and covers. We are original owners but my wife and I are now 67 and looking to get something automatic. We can talk about price but considering the condition and history I am not looking to give it away.

Leomax98 11-29-2018 08:25 PM

Still have the 00 stick

Originally Posted by viking89 (Post 9085060)
id go with a 5gen. best looks, reliable motor with no oil burning. slightly newer than the 4th gens. if its intended to be a DD the extra 15% power of the 5.5 gen shouldnt be a huge selling point considering youve got the 72 datsun for fun if you want it

Originally Posted by 1950guy (Post 9158118)
I have a Black 2000 manual. Only 80k miles and near mint. Generally driven as our long distance car. Very little local driving and almost never in the winter. Stock except for Konig wheels. Still have original wheels and covers. We are original owners but my wife and I are now 67 and looking to get something automatic. We can talk about price but considering the condition and history I am not looking to give it away.

did you still it

Monkeyking 06-30-2019 03:07 AM

Blue book on 5th gen is 6500

[QUOTE=MAXSE5SPD;9069372]I am really racking my brain so I am reaching out for some input. Long story short, I am looking for a daily driver. I have a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan as a project car/toy and a 2014 Nissan Titan for winter. I have had 5 Maximas and 1 I30, 3 4th gens, 1 5th and 1 5.5 gen. I am leaning towards either a 4th or 5.5 gen. I am well aware of the problems with all 3 generations. I can find 4th gen manuals for 1000-1800, a bit more for a modded one, and I can get 5.5 6spds that needs engines for 1200-1500 or a solid one for 2500. Parts are not an issue as I already work for Nissan and have quite a few parts laying around for all 3 generations.

What do you think? Blue book for 5th gen is 6500 in great shape, I have a 2003 doing tune up now replacing plugs coil packs fuel pump injectors fuel filter can and crank censors now I got two rotors for front and brakes for all .... would not sell for less then 5500 but trying to sell now . Drives like a dream .. everything works no problems dont loss oil dont run hot .. having no problems like that. Will miss my car but need a truck.

KP11520 07-06-2019 07:16 PM

I'm tired of dumping big money in my 4th Gen (99 SE-L) 213K+ Stupid money that you justify even more cause I just dumped in too much and it still needs a nose, some body work and paint. $5K in the last few thousand miles.

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Just get an Infinity G37X with lower miles that was maintained well and has so much going for it without having to do anything.

Here in Metro NY, 2013 G37X with under 36K, mint condition and verifiable maintained is under $15K. With a whole lotta life, comfort, performance and similar mileage on gas. And all that time to enjoy it before starting the regret cycle all over again like right from the beginning with all three of the above choices that will need a complete mid life refresh from front end and strut rebuilds, through mounts, exhaust, oil leaks, fuel injectors, Alternator, starter and all the likes. Maybe a transmission and rear seals on the engine too. Screw that! I'm so tired of being a slave to PROBLEMS and justifying dumping even more stupid money to not throw away all the other stupid money. What is my Max worth? Maybe $1K as it sits.

And it's still a Nissan at heart, but better as they left same year Maximas in the dust.

krismax 07-07-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520 (Post 9205274)
I'm tired of dumping big money in my 4th Gen (99 SE-L) 213K+ Stupid money that you justify even more cause I just dumped in too much and it still needs a nose, some body work and paint. $5K in the last few thousand miles.

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Just get an Infinity G37X with lower miles that was maintained well and has so much going for it without having to do anything.

Here in Metro NY, 2013 G37X with under 36K, mint condition and verifiable maintained is under $15K. With a whole lotta life, comfort, performance and similar mileage on gas. And all that time to enjoy it before starting the regret cycle all over again like right from the beginning with all three of the above choices that will need a complete mid life refresh from front end and strut rebuilds, through mounts, exhaust, oil leaks, fuel injectors, Alternator, starter and all the likes. Maybe a transmission and rear seals on the engine too. Screw that! I'm so tired of being a slave to PROBLEMS and justifying dumping even more stupid money to not throw away all the other stupid money. What is my Max worth? Maybe $1K as it sits.

And it's still a Nissan at heart, but better as they left same year Maximas in the dust.

Doing all your own work. Is where the money savings is at.
Newer cars keep getting less reliable.
I think consumer reports said since early 2000 cars are now getting worse overall. So when the g37X starts needing repair it will be way worse. This is why people keep buying new cars. But a payment is worse than repairs.

Maximamadness 08-20-2019 07:55 PM

4th gen = lighter, by a couple hundred pounds I believe. Best prices used too, but really depends on what you want to do with it. Mission drives equipment

grotesque_joe 09-30-2019 08:22 PM

I can't believe the 5.5 gen is leading the voting. Even though I drive one they are notorious for timing chain guides going bad, multiple engine mount failures, and higher ignition coil failure rates. Throw in the annoyances of a) a horribly designed, massively unreliable stereo and b) having to remove the whole upper intake just to get to the rear plugs/ coils on the 5th/ 5,5 gen (something you didn't have to do with the 4th gen) and it's not even close. I had a 99 4th gen before my 03 I currently drive and the 99 was far more reliable in every way. I put over 400k miles on that 99, no joke. Just goes to show how shortsighted some people are, choosing the most "performy" of the choices over the more reliable.

JSutter 10-01-2019 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by grotesque_joe (Post 9210146)
having to remove the whole upper intake just to get to the rear plugs/ coils on the 5th/ 5,5 gen (something you didn't have to do with the 4th gen) and it's not even close.

The DE-K does not need the intake removed for plugs. The 02-03 upper is easy to take off.

grotesque_joe 10-01-2019 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter (Post 9210171)
The DE-K does not need the intake removed for plugs. The 02-03 upper is easy to take off.

Is that supposed to make it OK? Yes it's "easy" to remove. It's also time consuming and- if you're following Nissan's service guide to the letter- also requires the gasket to be replaced each time- a nice additional expense.
I have no idea about the DE-K because I wouldn't buy a later Nissan than the one I have, after Renault REALLY got their hands into the engineering.

JSutter 10-01-2019 10:39 AM

Okay, now tell me about the 4th gen EGR cleaning a 5.5 genner never has to do. But wait, 4th gen valve covers don't leak like a 3.5. 5th gens have an improved rear axle, but the power steering hose leaks. Bose stereos have issues on all years.

I could go back and forth on every little detail. In the end it doesn't matter to most. You are worried about the wrong things. Looks, performance/modding or just finding a clean chassis may be someones deciding factor. Not how much effort a spark plug change is.

I like all 95-03 for different reasons. I would pick one based on overall condition. I can't just name a favorite.

TL;DR, it is what it is. If you don't like it that's okay.

grotesque_joe 10-01-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter (Post 9210179)
Okay, now tell me about the 4th gen EGR cleaning a 5.5 genner never has to do. But wait, 4th gen valve covers don't leak like a 3.5. 5th gens have an improved rear axle, but the power steering hose leaks. Bose stereos have issues on all years.

I could go back and forth on every little detail. In the end it doesn't matter to most. You are worried about the wrong things. Looks, performance/modding or just finding a clean chassis may be someones deciding factor. Not how much effort a spark plug change is.

I like all 95-03 for different reasons. I would pick one based on overall condition. I can't just name a favorite.

TL;DR, it is what it is. If you don't like it that's okay.

I'm worried about the wrong things?? How is engineering design and quality looking at the wrong things?? Yes, the EGR tube carbon clogging is a bad design, and has to be refreshed every several years, but it's an unintentional one. The very fact that Nissan/ Renault knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they designed the required removal of the upper intake on the 5.5's alone gives the 4th gen a leg up. (Oh and let's not forget the almost impossible to access top nuts on the rear shocks, another example of Renault design intrusion to force customers into the dealer service bay to stave off bankruptcy.) Plus the EGR is pretty much the only consistent flaw of the 4th gens. But in your eyes every car has a flaw so they get a pass for a glaring declination in quality?? They went from designing one of the best most bulletproof engine/ drivetrains ever, to a consistently more unreliable one (and one with plastic timing chain guides almost apparently intentionally designed to fail) within a matter of a couple years. One with a radiator support designed to rust out. One with coils that continually overheat. Yes the ignition coils fail eventually on all the models, but not alarmingly fast like on the 5.5 gens. Face it, the 5th gen was a step back and then the 5.5 gen has enough additional issues to be a REAL problem car. You'll find the 4th gen's engine/ transmission combo on several most reliable lists, you won't see a single instance of the 5.5 anywhere on them. You're also flat wrong about the Bose (Clarion manufactured) single disc units having issues, which they don't, just the 6 disc pieces of junk Bose tried to design that came in the 5.5 gens. Add to that the fact that the 4th gens stereo sounds LEAGUES better than the 5th gen even (especially?) with the 5th gen's additional sub muddying up everything and it's 3 strikes all around for the 5th gen.
Yeah I'm looking at the wrong things all right- why focus on quality, dependability, and longevity of a car that was designed to last for years, when you can zip around a bit faster in a car that's going to fall apart on you in a few months.

JSutter 10-02-2019 03:05 PM

You sound quite miffed. I'm sorry you feel that way.

DizzyEdge 10-16-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by grotesque_joe (Post 9210146)
Just goes to show how shortsighted some people are, choosing the most "performy" of the choices over the more reliable.

I mean there's car companies whose entire business model is based on people making that decision.

03_GLE 10-19-2019 05:35 AM

Is anyone really buying a Maxima for any reason aside from actual love for the car? All of the aforementioned models are great in their own respects - and problems aside - have varying reasons why one model would be chosen over another -- specifically based on a buyers taste. I think all of these choices are great to choose between, and ultimately comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder (buyer). I previously owned a 2001 Anniversary Edition, auto, and loved that car. Drove it for 8 years before getting swiped by an MTA truck and couldn't justify the body repairs versus the actual value of the car. In hindsight I should have fixed the damage and drove that thing until it died because I loved that car. A couple of other cars in between ('08 GS350, '17 Q50 2.0T) and I ended up finding an immaculate 2003 GLE that I purchased a month ago; you can eat off the paint and the interior is pristine as though the car sat in a Nissan factory garage. It's definitely a cut above in terms of fit and finish compared to my AE 5th gen. The ride is smoother (GLE vs. SE suspension) and the power delivery is much smoother and plentiful. Did I buy the car knowing I would have to change practically everything on it like I did my 5th gen? Yup! But when in good working condition a 5/5.5 gen Maxima is an absolute blast to drive, and a pleasure to own -- save for the love/hate that comes when a particular part needs replacing (I mean, who likes getting their car repaired anyway??) :gotme:

nick 08-27-2022 12:07 AM

KYB Struts
H&R Springs
19" TSW Bremma wheels

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....bd9c576c44.jpg

Maxgig 08-27-2022 06:43 PM

Now that's a sweet looking ride. I had a manual 2003 SE in the light grey I loved that car but had to get rid of it when I had knee surgery. I now have a 2010 SV that I'm going to keep until it dies. I love that grey, I have a 2019 RAM that color and I just painted my 1969 Cougar the same color.

mudassir.brandy 09-01-2022 02:54 AM

slightly newer than the 4th gens. if its intended to be a DD the extra 15% power of the 5.5 gen shouldnt be a huge selling point considering youve got the 72 datsun for fun if you want it
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

2002SEMT 09-01-2022 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MAXSE5SPD (Post 9069372)
I am really racking my brain so I am reaching out for some input. Long story short, I am looking for a daily driver. I have a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan as a project car/toy and a 2014 Nissan Titan for winter. I have had 5 Maximas and 1 I30, 3 4th gens, 1 5th and 1 5.5 gen. I am leaning towards either a 4th or 5.5 gen. I am well aware of the problems with all 3 generations. I can find 4th gen manuals for 1000-1800, a bit more for a modded one, and I can get 5.5 6spds that needs engines for 1200-1500 or a solid one for 2500. Parts are not an issue as I already work for Nissan and have quite a few parts laying around for all 3 generations.

What do you think?

I'm doing a 5.5 gen manual with a 2016+ Engine. I'm going to be in it at $25K total when all is said and done. I'm doing this as a prepper of sorts. The 5.5 gens are plentiful in the salvage yard and I get parts in 3 days or less. I only use the best parts available regardless of cost. I don't expect the supply chain crisis to end any time soon and it could possibly get worse.

mudassir.brandy 09-17-2022 04:00 AM

if its intended to be a DD the extra 15% power of the 5.5 gen shouldnt be a huge selling point considering youve got the 72 datsun for fun if you want it