General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair

Ok i know many maxima's and infiniti's have the dreaded fuel lid problem.Tan lid is from an 2004 I35.

I took the bad lid cap off the hinge frame. And replaced it with a properly working hinge. Here's some pics .sorry forgot to take picture of complete product.Next one i do i will add pics of all steps

Also i fixed a lid with a broken hinge without a donor one to see if it could be done It was done

Sides are drilled out and new one is welded in gently. Only side paint is effected. I tape the whole front and just touch up the 4 weld drill spots. But they are hidden anyways when it is closed.
With the second one i also drilled the frame out but this time welded in a new collar around the pin.
(The one it had, froze to the pin and snapped off.) This has to be done carefull to not have the pin welded to the collar.

They now feel like new.
Attached Thumbnails Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair-img_6525.jpg   Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair-img_6527.jpg   Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair-img_6528.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Ok i do have pics of the repair before the frame is welded back in.

if you see the 2 pictures you see the collars for the pins welded in . This makes it better than new.

After this step is done frame is tack welded on 4 legs. It's easier to switch a good frame on but i wanted to see if i could fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair-img_6532.jpg   Successfully fixed a fuel lid (transplant) and repair-img_6533.jpg