General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New member, would like opinions and thoughts on the 3G Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New member, would like opinions and thoughts on the 3G Maxima

Hello everybody, I've got a chance at getting a 1994 Maxima SE (auto unfortunately, no other SEs within 300 miles) from a used car dealership, and it's got 117k miles. Normally, I'm not interested, but the price they're asking makes me very enticed.

What are some pros/cons for the 3G Maxima? How good is it at being a 4DSC? Steering feedback? Throttle/transmission response? Handling? (mostly all of this in comparison, to say, a 5.5 Maxima). Just looking for a nice daily driver beater that isn't such a piece of **** like my '15 Sentra.

Any issues I should look for that a dealer may try to hide? I've heard of VTCs going bad, but I haven't a clue on what that is, or what the problem is.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:49 AM

For starters, it's 24 years old. Even with only 117k, I wouldn't pay more then $1000 running good, it's a bad investment anything above that.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM

congrats on your car, I love the 3rd get when I was in H.S and now days it's harder and harder to find, especially a VE engine. I have to say they have very good suspension set up especially the rear are independent set up. Other than that, I would read up in the 3rd gen forum see the stickies for known issues aside from the VTC clacking noise. Suprisedly you found one from a local dealer, normally I don't see at any of the dealers these days.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
For starters, it's 24 years old. Even with only 117k, I wouldn't pay more then $1000 running good, it's a bad investment anything above that.
For some reason, you come off to me as someone who doesn't like older cars with more feel.

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
congrats on your car, I love the 3rd get when I was in H.S and now days it's harder and harder to find, especially a VE engine. I have to say they have very good suspension set up especially the rear are independent set up. Other than that, I would read up in the 3rd gen forum see the stickies for known issues aside from the VTC clacking noise. Suprisedly you found one from a local dealer, normally I don't see at any of the dealers these days.
Don't have the car yet, lol

Indeed, it's been absurd trying to find any 3G Maximas at all that look to be running good. Thankfully the dealer bothered posting on CL.

Suspension setup is great, but how is the steering feedback? Engine/transmission response?

Last edited by THUNDEROUS; 06-28-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:31 AM

how much they asking for?
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

$2k. It's been listed for a couple weeks, so I don't think I'd have a problem trying to get them to give me OTD for $1700ish.

Here's the link if anyone else is interested:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6184245537.html

http://www.cacitycars.com/pre-owned-...-Maxima/130071
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Nice car. No, just kidding it looks like a piece of ****. I'd pass.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM

That 3 month 3000 mile warrantee is why they are asking more then they should. That said, that could be a very lucrative opportunity if you're able to get them to cover any major repairs...I'd be very interested in what that warrantee will actually cover, and how much before they say look, we're done.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM

This is an interesting thread, the dealer has the car to be sold. The warranty has to be covered, if something happens that your car is towed to the dealership and it requires a new part that nissan will have to cover up and get the new part and repair done on a vehicle that's 20+ years now.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Nice car. No, just kidding it looks like a piece of ****. I'd pass.
Says the guy with the Land Rover and the VW. Tell me how both of those cars are running in 25 years.

No, just kidding, they won't be running. Because both of those automakers are ****.

Not only that, you had that dumb *** 6th gen. And a Camaro? Did you like the acrylic door panels? You fail at picking cars and obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:56 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by THUNDEROUS
Hello everybody, I've got a chance at getting a 1994 Maxima SE (auto unfortunately, no other SEs within 300 miles) from a used car dealership, and it's got 117k miles. Normally, I'm not interested, but the price they're asking makes me very enticed.

What are some pros/cons for the 3G Maxima? How good is it at being a 4DSC? Steering feedback? Throttle/transmission response? Handling? (mostly all of this in comparison, to say, a 5.5 Maxima). Just looking for a nice daily driver beater that isn't such a piece of **** like my '15 Sentra.

Any issues I should look for that a dealer may try to hide? I've heard of VTCs going bad, but I haven't a clue on what that is, or what the problem is.

Thanks in advance.
I can provide a little insight here! I picked up a 93 SE almost two years ago. It was in pretty rough shape, but with a little work I've brought it back to life and it's the most reliable car we own right now. I've owned a 4th gen since 2001, so I can make some comparisons. In many ways it feels like a 4th gen does, there's nothing super special about it. Steering feedback is going to depend more on how the car was maintained than anything else. You do get some feedback, but it's no sports car. I will say that having working VTCs is very nice, and I can feel it working at low RPMs. VTC=variable timing control, similar to VTEC or other systems. When it wears out, it makes all sorts of noises and you lose power. Thankfully, the VTC in my car was rebuilt about ten years ago. Throttle response is excellent, at least with a manual transmission. It will be much nicer to drive than your Sentra.

As far as things the dealership might hide, well, that could be anything. Rust is going to be a big one.

I'm going to be putting my black on black VE 5 speed 3rd gen up for sale in a bit after I do a little more work to it, but I'm on the other side of the country from you.