Why does Maxima.org suck so bad now? - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > General Maxima Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does Maxima.org suck so bad now?

General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why does Maxima.org suck so bad now?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM

Well not to the same extent, but I would say the BMW forum went downhill and it was once pretty good. Today, when there's a rumor that the 2019 3 Series won't have a stick available in the USA, 1/2 the people say good riddance. How sad or pathetic is that??
Old 03-29-2018, 09:37 PM

I weep at the fact this thread is hot.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 AM

dang youre really bugged about this banner thing.

pretty much what has already been said. social medial has been making forums die off the last couple years. the internet is evolving.

my biggest gripe on this site would be the dead links and pictures (thanks photobucket). makes it harder to find what you're looking for.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Leave the banner alone...the 8th gen is well...fugly as hell. I mean seriously...that thing is an abomination. Looks like a Rogue had sex with a Passat. And it wasn't good sex...it was ugly and painful.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 PM

This forum doesn't at all suck. There are knowledgeable folks and a ton of history that covers just about everything. Just got to use the search feature and not rely on being spoonfed answers to your queries.

I think the dwindling activity in car forums (of all makes) has more to do with makers not wanting car owners to DIY their stuff. There is not much to talk about if the answer is usually "take it to the dealer!"...
Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Yeah It's lost a bit of luster but we who are here need to step it up! The 3 Maxima(s) I own are putting on miles except for the 3rd gen about to equip it with JWT VG cams...Hard to find 3rd and 4th Gen cars in the LKQ yards since they're nothing but recyclers...One's got to hit the smaller yards to find the good stuff....Ran across a 4th Gen with what appears to be new motor in one of these smaller junk yards. It was even equipped with a 5 speed manual...I just cringe evertime I see the Junkyard littered with 5th Gens...Just makes me wonder what was the problem that result in the car ending up in the boneyard? Mine is still expressive performance wise...I know the next main vehicle will be an Infiniti Q40 or Q50...
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 AM
+Cru OG

TBH .. I don't even own a Maxima anymore, I'm with the Altima crowd now.

And most forums have migrated to FB Groups, so that kind of took away most of the forum crowds.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

#deletefacebook
Old 04-10-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Too many FB posts contain stupid memes, simple yet overly repeated questions or terrible grammar that makes your head hurt. It's a good deal of useless chatter. Much is for instant gratification.

Even when someone asks a legit question, chances are it's answered with opinions or misinformation and not facts. Those who get spoon fed the correct information don't seem to get it anyway.

Keep the org's content useful. I'd rather see a few good posts a day here than countless posts of, " Hey, look at my car filling up with gas!"
Old 04-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter View Post
Too many FB posts contain stupid memes, simple yet overly repeated questions or terrible grammar that makes your head hurt. It's a good deal of useless chatter. Much is for instant gratification.

Even when someone asks a legit question, chances are it's answered with opinions or misinformation and not facts. Those who get spoon fed the correct information don't seem to get it anyway.

Keep the org's content useful. I'd rather see a few good posts a day here than countless posts of, " Hey, look at my car filling up with gas!"
Prophecy99 liked JSutter's post
Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03 View Post
Yeah It's lost a bit of luster but we who are here need to step it up! The 3 Maxima(s) I own are putting on miles except for the 3rd gen about to equip it with JWT VG cams...Hard to find 3rd and 4th Gen cars in the LKQ yards since they're nothing but recyclers...One's got to hit the smaller yards to find the good stuff....Ran across a 4th Gen with what appears to be new motor in one of these smaller junk yards. It was even equipped with a 5 speed manual...I just cringe evertime I see the Junkyard littered with 5th Gens...Just makes me wonder what was the problem that result in the car ending up in the boneyard? Mine is still expressive performance wise...I know the next main vehicle will be an Infiniti Q40 or Q50...
dude i am with ya on the Q50, kinda looking at newer WRX's too
Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels View Post
Old 04-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Maybe this place will pick up as people flee from ****book and watching ****erberg talk to congress. #DeleteFacebook
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

This forum is pretty dead and we have had multiple threads moved/deleted in a dead forum. You would think moderators would encourage the few vendors left here and adjust rules and be flexible.

Notifying IB right now. SMH.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000 View Post
Alot of us also moved on to different cars and so we went to those forums as well. I like to peek in here and there because those were the good years. Still in the back of my mind to get another 4th gen and turbo it, but I'm enjoying awd goodness right now so...lol.
awd madness!!!!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Got Retrofit?

This is still one of the best forums when it comes to content. It's just that the community has changed and it's not just Maxima.org...

I wish we could go back to the old days. I love this place.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
This is still one of the best forums when it comes to content. It's just that the community has changed and it's not just Maxima.org...
pretty much. just alot of people that knew their stuff like CapedCadaver, BenMax, etc for the older gens left. Facebook/Reddit are complete trash where everyone is a certified YouTube seal mechanic
Old 09-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91 View Post
Facebook/Reddit are complete trash where everyone is a certified YouTube seal mechanic
Haha! I had a fake facebook account just for car groups. I couldn't even handle that. Complete trash indeed.
I have not been here long, but I hope forums in general make a comeback. I have an '02 and '03 Max, and this place has been a gold mine for me.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Haha! I had a fake facebook account just for car groups. I couldn't even handle that. Complete trash indeed.
I have not been here long, but I hope forums in general make a comeback. I have an '02 and '03 Max, and this place has been a gold mine for me.
i had Facebook back when i was a mechanic then when i moved to working in law enforcement i had to get rid of social media for the job, best thing i ever did. mechanic/car groups there are garbage. best time i had on here was 8-9 years ago when we had some 3rd gen group buys going on and other stuff then it got quiet lol

Old 10-09-2018, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post

I wish we could go back to the old days. I love this place.
I agree , and this place is still great ! just slower activity ! still some great peeps around!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 AM

You get more info from Facebook...and the Max is not what it use to be.....facts
Old 11-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Been a while since I was here...

I like the new layout, very modern
Old 11-22-2018, 11:44 PM

bruh George lives
Old 11-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
#deletefacebook
I deleted f*ckbook after zucks testimony to congress and i was awaken to the fact that ive spent years arguing wiht friends and family over politics so that this guy makes billions of dollars.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by george__ View Post
Been a while since I was here...

I like the new layout, very modern
bruh George lives

Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Most forums get run down, due to fact from immature keyboard warriors posting stupid stuff … Now with that being said there are a few stand out people on this board who are very intelligent with some great knowledge and offer help to members who are wanting to learn about these cars. The mods can only do so much, they have lives and have more important things to worry about then babysit a few asshats who ruin a nice platform like this board.
Most of all boards on the net eventually succumb to stupidity. Its the cycle of life...
Old 12-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Banned

I've only been here a short while and TBH I've had more luck getting the answers I need from youtube videos than here, but that said some info here is standout. I disagree with a lot of the opinions on here like sunlit sand being a bad color or some folks wrongheaded attitude about amenities being more important than proven reliability but that doesn't make it a bad place... I suppose. At least the admins on here will put up with a bit of arguing/ constructive criticism unlike a lot of nose in the air forum sites (audiokarma anyone?)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine View Post
Well not to the same extent, but I would say the BMW forum went downhill and it was once pretty good. Today, when there's a rumor that the 2019 3 Series won't have a stick available in the USA, 1/2 the people say good riddance. How sad or pathetic is that??
Haven't been on them in ages now, but BimmerFest and a few others are still quite active the last I checked. As far as manuals, the ZF 8HP really is that good! The ZF 6HP predecessor I have in my 335i is the first automatic I ever drove that made me not miss having a manual, and the 8-speed is even better, especially the "Sport" coded version that shifts as fast and hard as a dual-clutch if you want it to! If only all automatics could be as good as those. Sadly they're not, and every CVT rental car I've ever had, including a few Altimas, has made me want to drive them off cliffs! The last Altima rental I had pissed me off so bad that I just abused it HARD. How do people drive these things and not go crazy?!?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 PM

Maxima.ORG is where it is today because...

- Way more interesting cars and platforms have come out: the WRX came out in 2002, the Infiniti G35 came out in 2003, then the EVO and tons of other cars that were WAY better for tuning than Maximas. The Altima 3.5SE first year was also 2002, and it was a bit smaller and lighter, so the "4DSC" torch kinda got passed to that car for awhile even though the interior was total crap. Meanwhile the Maxima evolved into a automatic only large sedan that nobody really cared about anymore. I mean the Maxima was a pretty friggin cool car up through the 5th gen, but after that there were just so many more interesting cars that even if they weren't initially affordable to many new, they would soon be used. Hard to believe the BMW 335i is over 10 years old now - first year was 2007, and BMW was "late" on getting into horsepower wars.

- Social media. I'm actually getting off of social media for the most part. I'm not deleting or deactivating accounts, but just not using them any more. It was nice up through the early 2010's, but now it's all crap about about stupid memes, spam, fighting about politics, and way too much crap. I just don't have time for it anymore, but yeah Facebook groups and crap. I'm not on any car groups.

- Impersonal leadership and groups selling to IB. Hey I don't blame previous forum owners, because running these things is a total PITA and a massive drain of time and money that a lot of people don't have, but it makes a difference when the forum owner is local and invested, and involved in the scene and can make things happen. Forums seem to be going one of two ways, selling to big groups like IB, or those that can manage to make it a full-time job with enough sponsor support and broad enough appeal. Little known fact. Back in the day, Y2KevSE actually reached out to me about taking ownership of the ORG, but I had way too many questions and knew I wouldn't have nearly enough time, and (I think) it went to SprintMax instead. It definitely makes a difference when you have personal and involved forum admins/owners, and an active support scene. The other forum I was an admin at sold to IB also.

- Cars have evolved a ton and the mod scene has kinda died out. I mean geez, a stock Camry V6 has over 300hp and can run low-14's in the quarter mile, and probably 13's with some basic mods and better tires. What do you really need to do to cars these days? Accords are ALL now turbocharged and you're just a tune away from really serious power. And anybody can pickup a dirt cheap used WRX, EVO, turbo VW, 335i, or whatever and get really serious power for next to nothing. Base automatics are all at least 6-speeds now, which are way better than the ancient 4-speeds with such wiiiiiiiiiide gear ratios. Remember all the manual swap threads, hacking the Middle East Variable Intake onto 4th gens, and then hacking the Apexi S-AFC or V-AFC or whatever the heck they were to actuate the things, and then Stillen S/C's and custom turbo kits, and on and on... Custom turbo kit? Do they even make those anymore? Just buy any car with a turbo. There's like zillions of them out there now. I remember there was a big tuner doing a huge custom turbo project for the then new 2006 E90 BMW 330i, except the factory turbocharged 335i came out in 2007 and I'm sure the tuner that was doing that lost a ton of time and money. But long story short, it used to take a lot of hard work and ingenuity to make cars faster. Now cars are all fast stock, or it's so easy to make them faster that you don't really need a forum for support, and domestic automakers have come a LONG ways as well!

- Younger generations are not buying cars like us OG's do! Forgot to add this one, but there's some pretty interesting demographics shift in car buying, and younger folks just aren't buying cars like we OGs did, having to do a lot with cars being more expensive than ever, lousy economy and a "lost decade" for the most part, and shifts in population towards urban centers where people can get by with public transit or a Zipcar type of vehicle when they need to go someplace.

- People move on and life moves on too. Kids, careers, my cancer diagnosis in 2011 (approaching 8 years cancer free! ), kids activities, and then tons of completely unbelievable and epic BS that we've had to deal with that life has thrown our way. Umm, car forums? What? Oh those things! Yeah, too busy right now, and my car just needs to start and get me someplace. Donts gots no time for that, but I do like to swing by the ORG at least once per year and say hi.

Just bought a 2018 Chevy Suburban. Yup, rolling on 22's! In addition to everything else, we care for my wife's brother full time who is disabled, and just for good measure we got a dog too, so a family of 5 plus a dog now, and my folks are getting older and need help getting around too, and I'm always needing to haul something or other for the new house we bought last year too! Never thought I'd need one of these, but I like it and the the GM truck forums ain't too bad.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 12-02-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Maxima.ORG is where it is today because...

- Way more interesting cars and platforms have come out: the WRX came out in 2002, the Infiniti G35 came out in 2003, then the EVO and tons of other cars that were WAY better for tuning than Maximas. The Altima 3.5SE first year was also 2002, and it was a bit smaller and lighter, so the "4DSC" torch kinda got passed to that car for awhile even though the interior was total crap. Meanwhile the Maxima evolved into a automatic only large sedan that nobody really cared about anymore. I mean the Maxima was a pretty friggin cool car up through the 5th gen, but after that there were just so many more interesting cars that even if they weren't initially affordable to many new, they would soon be used. Hard to believe the BMW 335i is over 10 years old now - first year was 2007, and BMW was "late" on getting into horsepower wars.

- Social media. I'm actually getting off of social media for the most part. I'm not deleting or deactivating accounts, but just not using them any more. It was nice up through the early 2010's, but now it's all crap about about stupid memes, spam, fighting about politics, and way too much crap. I just don't have time for it anymore, but yeah Facebook groups and crap. I'm not on any car groups.

- Impersonal leadership and groups selling to IB. Hey I don't blame previous forum owners, because running these things is a total PITA and a massive drain of time and money that a lot of people don't have, but it makes a difference when the forum owner is local and invested, and involved in the scene and can make things happen. Forums seem to be going one of two ways, selling to big groups like IB, or those that can manage to make it a full-time job with enough sponsor support and broad enough appeal. Little known fact. Back in the day, Y2KevSE actually reached out to me about taking ownership of the ORG, but I had way too many questions and knew I wouldn't have nearly enough time, and (I think) it went to SprintMax instead. It definitely makes a difference when you have personal and involved forum admins/owners, and an active support scene. The other forum I was an admin at sold to IB also.

- Cars have evolved a ton and the mod scene has kinda died out. I mean geez, a stock Camry V6 has over 300hp and can run low-14's in the quarter mile, and probably 13's with some basic mods and better tires. What do you really need to do to cars these days? Accords are ALL now turbocharged and you're just a tune away from really serious power. And anybody can pickup a dirt cheap used WRX, EVO, turbo VW, 335i, or whatever and get really serious power for next to nothing. Base automatics are all at least 6-speeds now, which are way better than the ancient 4-speeds with such wiiiiiiiiiide gear ratios. Remember all the manual swap threads, hacking the Middle East Variable Intake onto 4th gens, and then hacking the Apexi S-AFC or V-AFC or whatever the heck they were to actuate the things, and then Stillen S/C's and custom turbo kits, and on and on... Custom turbo kit? Do they even make those anymore? Just buy any car with a turbo. There's like zillions of them out there now. I remember there was a big tuner doing a huge custom turbo project for the then new 2006 E90 BMW 330i, except the factory turbocharged 335i came out in 2007 and I'm sure the tuner that was doing that lost a ton of time and money. But long story short, it used to take a lot of hard work and ingenuity to make cars faster. Now cars are all fast stock, or it's so easy to make them faster that you don't really need a forum for support, and domestic automakers have come a LONG ways as well!

- Younger generations are not buying cars like us OG's do! Forgot to add this one, but there's some pretty interesting demographics shift in car buying, and younger folks just aren't buying cars like we OGs did, having to do a lot with cars being more expensive than ever, lousy economy and a "lost decade" for the most part, and shifts in population towards urban centers where people can get by with public transit or a Zipcar type of vehicle when they need to go someplace.

- People move on and life moves on too. Kids, careers, my cancer diagnosis in 2011 (approaching 8 years cancer free! ), kids activities, and then tons of completely unbelievable and epic BS that we've had to deal with that life has thrown our way. Umm, car forums? What? Oh those things! Yeah, too busy right now, and my car just needs to start and get me someplace. Donts gots no time for that, but I do like to swing by the ORG at least once per year and say hi.

Just bought a 2018 Chevy Suburban. Yup, rolling on 22's! In addition to everything else, we care for my wife's brother full time who is disabled, and just for good measure we got a dog too, so a family of 5 plus a dog now, and my folks are getting older and need help getting around too, and I'm always needing to haul something or other for the new house we bought last year too! Never thought I'd need one of these, but I like it and the the GM truck forums ain't too bad.

Basically, most everything you said here.

I typically only view this forum if i have an issue; heard about an issue or want to know what others are doing with their cars. I, too, am disgusted with some that throw rocks from a bridge at others driving by. If we all met at a cars & coffee to discuss these things, I can guarantee you we wouldn't be talking to each other the way we do on these silly internet formats. Society is losing touch with what makes us unique... relationships.

You're right about the younger generation, they don't have the common interest (enthusiasm) in cars that we do, and if you try and engage some of them in a conversation, it turns out to be a contest. I have nephews and nieces that have drivers licences that don't care about actually driving a car. When I got my drivers license, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the house and venture out on my own. It was an escape from parental authority and was symbolic as it related to my independence and growth. My first car was a beater (75 Chevy Bel Air). Piece of oxidized crap that broke down all the time and I probably spent more time fixing it with my buddies than actually driving it.... lol. But when I did drive it, I was somebody (again.... lol).

My parents, too, are at an age (80) where I have to spend time with them and begin caring for them. I want to spend time with them and enjoy it immensely. Things are so relative in life and what is important will always stand before you in those moments. Just as we older generations have experienced and come to understand, life is a series of seasons we succumb to and with every season, there is an end and a new beginning. Sometimes the transition doesn't include much of our past activities as we are ushered into a new beginning of the next season of our lives. Younger generations have a harder time seeing this, but it will play out in their lives, too. It is inevitable and the understanding of it becomes more apparent with time and acquired wisdom. Today, I care about spending time with my family and retiring with enough to finish the race living in a house and not under a bridge in a cardboard box. I fear our world will offer our children much less and harder lessons learned than we could've ever imagined. But you know what? This is what our parents thought of us and their parents thought of them. We all wind up adapting and finding our way and life, again, is relative.

I'm glad you posted this, SteVTEC. It reminds me of my personal seasons and the cycle of life. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I pray that you all find peace in your lives. I also pray that you all can be an example of peace so the world can know what that looks like.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 12-03-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM

Oh dude (to 04BlackMaxx too) the **** people say on social media is just ridiculous. I like to call it "anti-social" media because that's what its made me. People say a lot of things on "social" media that they would never say to my face, and a big part of the reason why I hardly go on social media anymore is because I can't bare the thought of being witness to the latest completely disgusting and untrue horse **** that real life friends of mine are saying that I genuinely like and care about. There used to be barriers, but people just take advantage of these platforms to use as a soapbox, and it's just disgusting when they don't know what they don't know. Life has put my family and I through some really terrifying things. I don't share the views of many people in the D.C. area as a result, and these people just have no effing clue what life puts some people through is all I can say, and I'm not on Facebook to get into fights with people.

Same applies to these forums. I forget how it was on the ORG, but on the Accord V6 forum I ran, we finally gave in to user demands and made a politics off-topic section, BUT... I specifically rigged the sub so that thread activity in there would NOT find its way into "View New Posts" or "View All Active Threads" searches. The only way you would see it is if someone specifically clicked on that sub, and really wanted to view it. That's one thing that's missing from places like Facebook today, an ability to opt-out of garbage political posts. Zuck could fix this tomorrow, but he won't do it because FB makes too much money sharing articles and people commenting furiously in Internet political fist fights. I wish "Face" book was the way it used to be, and just about fun photos of you and your family and friends last weekend, and not about the latest stupid piece of **** political article or social justice cause you're championing. All FB needs to do is create an AI to automatically filter out things, and then it can give you a single notification that says "Hi Steve, 37 of your friends are posting about politics today. We know you don't want to see that **** so we've filtered it out of your news feed, but if you really want to see it just click here." They could do this tomorrow, but they're too busy selling out our personal information and making tons of money sharing stupid articles, so F facebook. The only reason I haven't deleted my accounts on there is because I'm big into photogrpahy, and like 90% of of some of our friends personal photos will all disappear whenever I deactivate my account, which isn't cool, so I leave it turned on but am just not active on the platform anymore. Instagram is okay for now, but I have one foot out the door on there too, and one wrong move and I'm done for good there too.

Forums were never as bad because you could at least bury or hide the hot button stuff, but there was still a lot of trash talk and, unfortunately, rival gangs clashing too. I don't even want to get into it, but on one hand you're trying to maintain peace and get rid of the bad apples, but then you find yourself in the middle of it and facing gang threats when you remove one of their buddies. Ohhh the untold stories of forum admins! Like I said, I don't blame forum owners for selling out to IB and other places one bit. There's soooo much **** to deal with.

I could go on for ages, but you get the point.

I'd much rather socialize with people in person and with beers in hand, preferably in front of my fire pit looking up at the stars, or out at a nice restaurant someplace than ever chatting online.

Yeah, younger people today just don't see their own car as a status symbol and the freedom that it represented either. I don't know what's valued by the younger generation(s) today, but maybe it's something like more than 10K Instagram followers or verified Twitter status? I dunno. And when they are buying cars, I think about the last car on their shop list would be a Maxima. The Max was definitely a "cool car" back in its day, but I don't even really understand why the car exists anymore? Well they're selling 34K YTD. In defense of the Maxima, they're selling a lot more of those than Acura is the TLX, so maybe Nissan has succeeded at screwing up the Maxima just a little bit less than Acura has screwed up TL/TLX. I remember that rivalry, and it was a great one. Every other car on the road used to be an Acura TL around here, but they completely screwed up that car with the boaty last gen TL, and now nobody cares about the TLX anymore, either. They had a real winner with the 3rd gen TL but just totally blew it, which is sad too.

Haven't been around the Acura forums in ages either, but just checked AcuraZine and it's exactly what I expected to see. 3rd gen TL was huge, just like the 4th/5th gen Maxima. Acura TOTALLY BLEW IT with the bloaty bath tub design 4th gen TL, and there was only 1/10th the total traffic in that forum than the 3rd gen. 5th gen traffic is about 1/25th the 3rd gen. Same story there. Screwed up designs that nobody cared about anymore, and too many much more interesting platforms.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM

Sicne posting here and there about a McLaren I see how terribly negative this place is, so I figure people are glad to move on to much more positive and happy places like Instagram. I post something in a few threads on the same topic and instead of people being happy for me or interested in the topic it turns into the typical childish bull**** about posting more than once and all the posting police and *****. Give me a ****ing break people, and you wonder why the site sucks donkey **** now, enjoy your rusty old maximas. Peace.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Oh dude (to 04BlackMaxx too) the **** people say on social media is just ridiculous. I like to call it "anti-social" media because that's what its made me. People say a lot of things on "social" media that they would never say to my face, and a big part of the reason why I hardly go on social media anymore is because I can't bare the thought of being witness to the latest completely disgusting and untrue horse **** that real life friends of mine are saying that I genuinely like and care about. There used to be barriers, but people just take advantage of these platforms to use as a soapbox, and it's just disgusting when they don't know what they don't know. Life has put my family and I through some really terrifying things. I don't share the views of many people in the D.C. area as a result, and these people just have no effing clue what life puts some people through is all I can say, and I'm not on Facebook to get into fights with people.

Same applies to these forums. I forget how it was on the ORG, but on the Accord V6 forum I ran, we finally gave in to user demands and made a politics off-topic section, BUT... I specifically rigged the sub so that thread activity in there would NOT find its way into "View New Posts" or "View All Active Threads" searches. The only way you would see it is if someone specifically clicked on that sub, and really wanted to view it. That's one thing that's missing from places like Facebook today, an ability to opt-out of garbage political posts. Zuck could fix this tomorrow, but he won't do it because FB makes too much money sharing articles and people commenting furiously in Internet political fist fights. I wish "Face" book was the way it used to be, and just about fun photos of you and your family and friends last weekend, and not about the latest stupid piece of **** political article or social justice cause you're championing. All FB needs to do is create an AI to automatically filter out things, and then it can give you a single notification that says "Hi Steve, 37 of your friends are posting about politics today. We know you don't want to see that **** so we've filtered it out of your news feed, but if you really want to see it just click here." They could do this tomorrow, but they're too busy selling out our personal information and making tons of money sharing stupid articles, so F facebook. The only reason I haven't deleted my accounts on there is because I'm big into photogrpahy, and like 90% of of some of our friends personal photos will all disappear whenever I deactivate my account, which isn't cool, so I leave it turned on but am just not active on the platform anymore. Instagram is okay for now, but I have one foot out the door on there too, and one wrong move and I'm done for good there too.

Forums were never as bad because you could at least bury or hide the hot button stuff, but there was still a lot of trash talk and, unfortunately, rival gangs clashing too. I don't even want to get into it, but on one hand you're trying to maintain peace and get rid of the bad apples, but then you find yourself in the middle of it and facing gang threats when you remove one of their buddies. Ohhh the untold stories of forum admins! Like I said, I don't blame forum owners for selling out to IB and other places one bit. There's soooo much **** to deal with.

I could go on for ages, but you get the point.

I'd much rather socialize with people in person and with beers in hand, preferably in front of my fire pit looking up at the stars, or out at a nice restaurant someplace than ever chatting online.

Yeah, younger people today just don't see their own car as a status symbol and the freedom that it represented either. I don't know what's valued by the younger generation(s) today, but maybe it's something like more than 10K Instagram followers or verified Twitter status? I dunno. And when they are buying cars, I think about the last car on their shop list would be a Maxima. The Max was definitely a "cool car" back in its day, but I don't even really understand why the car exists anymore? Well they're selling 34K YTD. In defense of the Maxima, they're selling a lot more of those than Acura is the TLX, so maybe Nissan has succeeded at screwing up the Maxima just a little bit less than Acura has screwed up TL/TLX. I remember that rivalry, and it was a great one. Every other car on the road used to be an Acura TL around here, but they completely screwed up that car with the boaty last gen TL, and now nobody cares about the TLX anymore, either. They had a real winner with the 3rd gen TL but just totally blew it, which is sad too.

Haven't been around the Acura forums in ages either, but just checked AcuraZine and it's exactly what I expected to see. 3rd gen TL was huge, just like the 4th/5th gen Maxima. Acura TOTALLY BLEW IT with the bloaty bath tub design 4th gen TL, and there was only 1/10th the total traffic in that forum than the 3rd gen. 5th gen traffic is about 1/25th the 3rd gen. Same story there. Screwed up designs that nobody cared about anymore, and too many much more interesting platforms.
This forum was totally juvenille and full of keyboard warriors in 2004 and unfortunately that hasn't changed, the only difference is the subscriber count has dwindled such that it has me scratching my head why people get so ****ing upset over a repost like I just commmited a crime against humanity, I was excited about a McLaren, wouldn't you be? I can go on instagram and hashtag 30 and tag 30 different even unrelated tags and nobody gives a ****, if they don't like it, you simply don't get any responses. If this place wasn't so toxic, maybe it wouldnt be losing people at a pace faster than a McLaren.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM

bruh, so you spam links on peoples random threads about some shi77y McLaren nobody gives a fiddlers flying **** about and get pissy when nobody cares? give me a break
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM

bruh, so you spam links on peoples random threads about some shi77y McLaren nobody gives a fiddlers flying **** about and get pissy when nobody cares? give me a break
You drive old Toyotas and Chevys and call a McLaren ****ty, I love this place.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx View Post
This forum was totally juvenille and full of keyboard warriors in 2004 and unfortunately that hasn't changed, the only difference is the subscriber count has dwindled such that it has me scratching my head why people get so ****ing upset over a repost like I just commmited a crime against humanity, I was excited about a McLaren, wouldn't you be? I can go on instagram and hashtag 30 and tag 30 different even unrelated tags and nobody gives a ****, if they don't like it, you simply don't get any responses. If this place wasn't so toxic, maybe it wouldnt be losing people at a pace faster than a McLaren.
Well import car scene forums were in general filled with juvenille keyboard warriors. Not sure what you were expecting, but the camaraderie was nice, and as long as we could keep things mostly civil and free from sheer stupidity (difficult at times) it was entertaining.

Oh and on top of everything else, the sedan market is slowly dying too, especially larger sedans. Japanese mid-sized are still doing okay, but the RAV4 now outsells the Camry, and the CR-V outsells the Accord. I didn't know that, and the domestic sedans are in free falls too. Most people who need more than a mid-sized sedan just buy SUVs, so yet another death knell for the large(r) sedans.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx View Post
You drive old Toyotas and Chevys and call a McLaren ****ty, I love this place.
lol does the truth hurt? i drove my Crown down to the USA far before it was even legal for you guys to import, a 30 year old 250,000km sedan got more attention in the states than exotics
Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM

The general uh..."sensitivity movement" that is sweeping the country doesn't help forums flourish, either. You have the POUNDMETOO fem ***** and their sympathizers just waiting to pounce on anything they deem inappropriate. One can no longer use what was common terms to describe people just a few short years ago for the same reason, even in jest. Forums these days are a reflection of the pathetic society we live in. And with IB owning/running most of them, there is ZERO tolerance for any 'sporty' language or even innuendo because they fear repercussions...either real or implied.

I still pop on several other car forums and for the most part, see much of the same on all. The 'community concept' wherein people collectively share information, in particular on aging models of car is great in theory but as others have noted many times, keyboard warriors and other ilk who only join a forum simply to attack people have killed it. I once posted a question about a Mercedes 190 2.3 I was working on and while there were some positive responses, most were along the lines of, "Huh! Get a REAL car, fool! Whattsamatter...can't afford one?" One sees things like this constantly. It's depressing.

But still, there are enough positive things about most of the car forums that make me still frequent them, especially when I've run up against some repair issue that is vexing me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.