General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan set to discontinue the Maxima

Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barney512 View Post
No link. I'm an Engineer for a Tier 1 automotive parts manufacturer for several automotive assembly plants, Nissan, Ford, FCA and others. The Nissan Maxima (L42N) being one of the programs we have. Going over existing and future business plans with our CEO today, it was brought up that Nissan would be discontinuing the Maxima model in 2023. (A co-worker thought he said 2021). Either way, it does follow with the automotive industry in general as Ford, GM and even FCA have plans to no longer produce sedans. FCA may keep the Charger for a while. The trend is toward SUVs and trucks. It also tracks since our supplier contracts are generally 3-5 years out (building of tooling requirements/equipment etc).
I am very skeptical about the veracity of this. I too work for a manufacturing company, albeit in R&D. So one of the things I do know is new product introduction or existing product elimination are some of the most highly guarded corporate secrets until the company is ready to announce the event publicly. It is then and only then that the news spreads outside the company.

So either you misheard things, or a bunch of people were incompetent here.