General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan set to discontinue the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan set to discontinue the Maxima

If I have my date correct it should be in 2023. possible 2021.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:08 PM

Provide a link or prepare to be
Old 01-23-2019, 12:39 PM

With the emphasis Nissan puts on the Altima, I can believe it. You rarely see the Maxima in television or magazine ads.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No link. I'm an Engineer for a Tier 1 automotive parts manufacturer for several automotive assembly plants, Nissan, Ford, FCA and others. The Nissan Maxima (L42N) being one of the programs we have. Going over existing and future business plans with our CEO today, it was brought up that Nissan would be discontinuing the Maxima model in 2023. (A co-worker thought he said 2021). Either way, it does follow with the automotive industry in general as Ford, GM and even FCA have plans to no longer produce sedans. FCA may keep the Charger for a while. The trend is toward SUVs and trucks. It also tracks since our supplier contracts are generally 3-5 years out (building of tooling requirements/equipment etc).

Last edited by Barney512; 01-23-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 PM

Next gen Maxima is/was? well under way according to Nissan. BUT it does not mean they could have had a change of heart and cancel it. Hence riding out the current refresh wave until they drop the hammer on the Maxima. Smart move. It would still give them sales while making money but leave unsuspecting customers in the dust, while remaining tight lipped about next gen or not.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 AM

It would seem to me that as many as they sell, one of the highest selling flagship sedans in the segment, they would keep it around. Especially considering the other manufactures pulling out, means that demand will go up for the die-hard car owners...I just think at least one mainstream car manufacturer should stick out this change...
Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It would seem to me that as many as they sell, one of the highest selling flagship sedans in the segment, they would keep it around. Especially considering the other manufactures pulling out, means that demand will go up for the die-hard car owners...I just think at least one mainstream car manufacturer should stick out this change...
Does not matter. Its peanuts compared to the Altima. The Altima is the much bigger seller. I see Maxima sales only getting worse now that the new Altima is here.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Next gen Maxima is/was? well under way according to Nissan. BUT it does not mean they could have had a change of heart and cancel it. Hence riding out the current refresh wave until they drop the hammer on the Maxima. Smart move. It would still give them sales while making money but leave unsuspecting customers in the dust, while remaining tight lipped about next gen or not.

OK, well I did confirm the year he said was 2023. Having said that, it is always possible for Nissan to extend the Maxima program. It is not too uncommon. But usually that happens when sales are really high. Most extensions are for about 2-3 years. I don't see that happening with the Maxima. I can only hope our CEO was wrong but it is his business to know.

For my thoughts, I always felt like when the Nissan Altima started getting too much like a Maxima and with the price differential, it would probably come to this.

Last edited by Barney512; 01-24-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Nissan does NOTHING to promote the Maxima...most of their advertising is used to promote the Altima...and they'll throw an "end of commercial group photo" sometimes that includes the Sentra and Versa...but never the Maxima nor 370z. It's like they don't know what to do with them.
I've read some automotive rags that hint that Nissan considers the Max and the Z "niche market cars" that have a dedicated following but aren't mainstream in any way. Let's face it...V6 powered cars are becoming an anomaly, almost like the manufacturers have to 'apologize' for them.
One reason I take my hat off to Kia for bringing the Stinger to market.
It's all good by me...you see three hundred and seven Altimas on any given day of the week, but rarely a Maxima. Kind of nice to not see "your" car in that miasma of bland conformity.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 PM

That sucks but oh well, I'm going to enjoy my Maxima for as long as possible anyway. If all these people that buy Altimas would just test drive a Maxima the numbers would be different but like it's been said I kind of like having a car that isn't all that common.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:07 AM

this is a sad reality, and undeniably believable, is sad to say the that the new altima (2019) looks a little better too when compared to the 2019 maxima, and wtf just checked the website and they have AWD too ! wow, dont know any maxima that got AWD.

sighhh
Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Kinda sad.
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...nissan-altima/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...nissan-maxima/

In the US Nissan sold 42k Maximas in 2018 vs 209k Altimas and 213k Sentras.
They sold 412k Rogues and 83k Muranos by comparison.
I kinda think the Nissan IMS concept will in some way replace the Maxima. The nameplate has been around since 1981, hard to imagine them scrapping it completely,

https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...sports-sedan-2
All-electric, 310mile range, have the option of going manual or fully autonomous."The IMs' electric powertrain consists of dual electric motors (front and rear) and a fast charging 115 kWh battery that generates 483 horsepower (360 kW) and 590 lb-ft (800 Nm) of torque, ensuring that the concept car will not only keep up with modern-day sports sedans but leave most of them in the dust. Capable of traveling an estimated 380 miles on a single charge, the IMs is on the same playing field with its gasoline-powered counterparts in terms of range."

Then again to go back to the wayback machine... April 2015, the Maxima was almost axed https://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/25/...a-almost-died/
Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM

As much as I like the Maxima. I will be looking elsewhere and not taking a chance with speculation. Just as I did with our last car. 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ brand new. After the first year owning it. Speculation started GM was going to drop it. I went with my gut exactly 2 years owning it and got the 17 Maxima. It’s literally dejavu all over again. As we are coming up on 2 years of owner ship soon. Time to bail while it’s worth something right now.

its going to be at a loss but is what it is. Will move what’s left to the new vehicle.

Who am I kidding. Nothing out there I really Really like from Toyota or Honda. Those are my top 3 brands with Nissan in no particular order.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 AM

^
Yep...nothing in the size with comparable performance, for sure. One has to move to German machinery...Audi A6 is a good choice.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by TableRocker
^
Yep...nothing in the size with comparable performance, for sure. One has to move to German machinery...Audi A6 is a good choice.
You do realize the maxima is an "executive car"? It is not a family car.

The back seat on my sentra has much more cubic feet.

Executives are dumping the maxima.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by krismax

Yeah...I think the 8th generation has lost something. The 7th gen was more reminiscent of the 370Z insofar as styling goes...at least from the front end and thus kept the '4 door sports car' image. I read somewhere that the Maxima is intended to compete with cars like the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:56 PM

I just find it interesting and disturbing how we now have overpriced pieces of plastic with stupid software at the controls. Downright sad.

There's enough problems with cars in the snow belt and now we have lousy features and electric controls that are begging for rust, corrosion, electrical malfunctions and software hackers.

OEM's and banks in collusion. If loans couldn't go longer and longer then car sales would reflect actual buying power; not artificial wealth. Its all a facade and is poor business practice from the core. Someday it WILL catch up.

Cool. Not.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM

half joking, but also not.......good riddance!

I had a 2018 Maxima rental last year and it was imho poorly made. We can argue back and forth as to what was the best gen, but I would say think about the fact that a 2003 had HID headlamps, it was a sign of it being a luxury or flagship car. Today, as mentioned, it loses to an Altima.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:00 PM
+Cru OG

Tell your boss that they need to tell Nissan to bring the diesel NV350 from Japan. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I just find it interesting and disturbing how we now have overpriced pieces of plastic with stupid software at the controls. Downright sad.

There's enough problems with cars in the snow belt and now we have lousy features and electric controls that are begging for rust, corrosion, electrical malfunctions and software hackers.

OEM's and banks in collusion. If loans couldn't go longer and longer then car sales would reflect actual buying power; not artificial wealth. Its all a facade and is poor business practice from the core. Someday it WILL catch up.

Cool. Not.
Yeah...vehicle pricing is obscene. The other day I priced (well, saw a review) a new Ford F-150 pickup with the new diesel engine in FX4 trim....$74K.
For a F-150.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

c'mon...we all kinda knew this day was coming.
surprised Nissan ran it for so long.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Not surprised, but sad. The Altima is the flagship car as the Maxima has become an afterthought. Nissan does not even waste money on advertising it. Glad I got the 2019 as it looks much better than the previous version.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM

End of the Maxima?

Was at the dealer picking up my 2019 Maxima, and was told there are rumblings that the end of the Maxima is near (after the 9th Generation 2023). Does not surprise me as the Altima is the flagship sedan, and has been so for a while. The Maxima is not even advertised, just seems to be an afterthought of the Nissan fleet. I will enjoy the Maxima until it goes away. Has been a favorite of mine since it was the Datsun 810......
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by gerardamorris
Was at the dealer picking up my 2019 Maxima, and was told there are rumblings that the end of the Maxima is near (after the 9th Generation 2023). Does not surprise me as the Altima is the flagship sedan, and has been so for a while. The Maxima is not even advertised, just seems to be an afterthought of the Nissan fleet. I will enjoy the Maxima until it goes away. Has been a favorite of mine since it was the Datsun 810......
not a surprise. All mfrs are killing off sedans.
The future is (are) crossovers.

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/f...ctric-car.html
Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 AM

True, it was only a matter of time....follow the money...
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 AM
Banned

Just look at this forum, the Maxima has been on a steady decline in popularity for 20 years, this comes as no surprise. It is sad but id never be caught dead in a Maxima anymore, everyone including myself drives trucks nowadays. I am getting a Range Rover next.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by krismax

The Maxima isn't an executive car, an S550 or a Range Rover is an exec car, unless you consider a GM of a few McDonalds as an "executive"
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM

I have always preferred the drive feel of cars to SUV's and trucks so getting "caught dead" isn't something that's on my radar (nor has being concerned with what everyone else drives).

IMO right now is the sweet spot in time for buying a car because:

1. They still make cars.
2. You get a lot for your money since most prefer SUV's/crossovers/trucks and they are all overpriced in comparison.

In a few years I won't have that choice anymore so I'm going to enjoy the car I have now for as long as possible.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:51 AM

I find it a complete mystery to hear people talk about the "death of the sedan". Yes, Ford has ceased production on most of its models but that is simply to concentrate on what is the current market leading SUVs and trucks. I mean for God's sake, they sold over 940,000 F-150s alone last year. I own one, too...but a truck is a truck and a car is a car and they both have their places in the hierarchy of automotive landscape. You'll notice that Audi, Mercedes Benz, BMW are continuing to introduce new models all the time...as it Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, etc.
Cars will be around forever.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 PM

I'm with TableRocker here. There are many dozens of sedans still on the market, many being heavily advertised. The death of the sedan is not yet here. There have been those predicting the demise of the Maxima every year for the last twenty-some years, and it hasn't gone anywhere. We have already heard quite a bit (appearing several places on this board) where Nissan is telling us the 9th gen Maxima will be greater than anyone expects. Those saying the Altima is Nissan's flagship are reaching. Nissan intends to sell as many Altimas as possible, and always sells several hundred thousand of each model year. But Altimas are not a flagship anything. They are a reasonably priced 'everyman's' vehicle that fills most parking spaces at every mall in the country. By contrast, the Maxima is chosen by those drivers who are NOT 'everymen', and who DO NOT want their primary vehicle to be exactly like almost every other car in almost every parking lot.

Things change, but, until Nissan officially announces otherwise, I plan to take them at what they have told us so far about the 9th generation Maxima, and plan to purchase a ninth generation (2023 model year) Maxima in either late 2022 or early 2023. If the Maxima is not there, I will choose from many other good sedans, but NEVER an SUV or crossover. I still have my principles.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My first Nissan in 1987, YES 1987 was a 1986 1/2, YES 1986 1/2 "Hardbody King Cab. I Think I was the only person in the entire state of New York driving a Nissan Pickup. Followed by; 1989SE, then in 2001 a Frontier and finally in 2005 a Titan LE I drove till 2014, Loved pickups but it was time for a change and by 2014 EVERYONE had a truck including boys, girls, old folks and young people !!
The Maxima is a great car, and where I live I don't see a lot of them. I wouldn't be caught dead in one is to say the least, harsh. Truck vs. car is a personal preference - And I choose Car. JMHO
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 AM

I saw a Nissan Stanza driving around 2 weeks ago. I was thinking that has to be one of the last on earth. It probably was a very good car when it was brand new. Not anyone could simply get a car that was more than their annual salary back then, and Maximas were not cheap. Today, your pulse is your credit, you don't even need a job or a house or mailing address!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
The Maxima isn't an executive car, an S550 or a Range Rover is an exec car, unless you consider a GM of a few McDonalds as an "executive"
The S550 and RR are luxury cars (and money pits), not executive cars. The Maxima is widely accepted as an "executive" or "premium" car...not quite luxury but in upper trims the middle ground between luxury and the every-day.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

just need one good oil crisis and you'll have sedans and compact cars coming back into production.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Does not surprise me at all.. 8th Gen Maxima looks like a Altima and costs 10 grand more.. Its a no brainer.. Altima is a much better seller due to cost and it looks like the Maxima at a cheaper price point... Unless they completely make over the Maxima , It will never continue ..
Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Does not surprise me at all.. 8th Gen Maxima looks like a Altima and costs 10 grand more.. Its a no brainer.. Altima is a much better seller due to cost and it looks like the Maxima at a cheaper price point... Unless they completely make over the Maxima , It will never continue ..
Dammit. I just traded in my 14 Altima for a 18 Maxima.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 AM

So the Nismo Sentra with a 6 speed comes out but we can't get a nismo 6 speed max with AWD and turbo.....why ? Seriously, can it sell more than a MAx would ?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:44 PM

I had a Nissan 240SX and was sad when they dropped that but the Altima coupe was on the horizon. I would rather have a coupe all day than a sedan anyday. Save the Max, COUPE it!

AWD Maxima coupe. ( I can dream can't I?) Turbo the old 3.0L and drop that in.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Since it’s out selling the all new Avalon 2-1. I think it would be crazy for Nissan to drop it.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM

I'd rather have a decked out Impala than an Avalon.

Quick Reply: Nissan set to discontinue the Maxima