General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Really Really Really bad accident...

Old 03-28-2002, 08:44 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Really Really Really bad accident...

Guys, I was in a pretty bad accident on monday. Here are the details...http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...threadid=10676

Do any of you guys really think I have a chance?

...He didn't get away...
Old 03-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Daymn... that's insane. I'm glad you're still with us. The 911 call will be what nails the bastard down for good.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:29 AM

I had to climb out of the trunk of my car
The guy says that I am lucky because the frame wasn't hit
dude, i dont thinkn thats all you were lucky about ...

it is good to see that you are still with us after having to crawl out thru ur trunk. i cant even imagine a) being in an accident bad enough to crawl out my trunk and still be ok and b) being able to stay on the phone w/ 911 the whole time

good luck with the insurance, i'm sure allstate will just love you after this one

best of luck to ya
Old 03-28-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Really Really Really bad accident...

Originally posted by Rob'sAE
Guys, I was in a pretty bad accident on monday. Here are the details...http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...threadid=10676

Hopefully the 911 call will show he deliberately caused an accident. There is a legal principal which may apply, the "Fruit of the poisonous tree", which basically would mean that once he did a hit-and-run, subsequent liability stems from that illegal act. If a cop hits a car and kills someone while in pursuit of another vehicle, the person running from the cop is liable. You, in effect, were trying to do a citizen's arrest and were calling the appropriate authorities for backup. Good thing you got 911 - out here, they put you on hold for 5 minutes!

As for the insurance, that might be tougher. AAA is the worst. My brother is an attorney, and he once had a client in a minor fender bender; both had Triple A, and the insurance company turned a low-budget issue into THREE lawsuits! They already pay lawyers on staff, so they just let them work ...
Old 03-28-2002, 09:37 AM

If it was me I would of cut him off and hit my brakes for him to hit me and then when he did I would of kicked his *** over and over and be in jail right now serving a life sentence for murder. You did everything right, I guess this is why you have an AE and some of us don't . Lol anyways good judgement on your part the whole way through and I don't see you being at fault at all.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:40 AM

Wow, what a night huh. Glad you made it out.

SuDZ
Old 03-28-2002, 09:49 AM

You know what was funny, my glasses were knocked off of my face but I never dropped the cell phone!! I don't know how or why, but I am very grateful that I was not seriously injured. Everyone ask's if my wife and son were with me, and my answer is always; "if either one of them was with me I would not have even chased". I would never endanger my family like that. I was alone and decided to do what I did based on the fact that I was by myself. BTW....HE DIDN"T GET AWAY!!!
Old 03-28-2002, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow that really sucks. I REALLY hope that everything works out for you

But I would be very carefull, anytime you rearend someone, 99.9% of the time, it's your fault. No matter what. I don't know how the police/insurance is going to evaluate you chasing after the guy. I know that you wanted to stop him and get his plates etc... but the law frowns on any type of self-policing activity when there is a "possiblity" of endangering others.

Hopefully when that guy gets ticketed for "hit & run" and the other host of illegal traffic infractions he did, it will also cover the idiot move he did on the road.

Best of luck
Old 03-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Well, as far as I know in Texas brake checking someone when there is no immediat need or danger constitutes road rage and in the case of a rear ending the fault goes to the person who did the brake checking. Hence why when he started tailgating all I did was take my foot off of the gas and not brake check. I will ask my lawyer about that one. I will get back later on today.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by MaxDriver98
If it was me I would of cut him off and hit my brakes for him to hit me
i dunno how big a dually is, but if rob rear ended him AND missed/went under his rear bumper, would you really want that truck to rear end you ????

i'm envisioning monster truck crushing unsuspecting cars type images, which obviously wouldnt be the case, but none the less ... having him rear end you could be much worse than rear ending him
Old 03-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Very sound, Mike

Glad to know you're alright man. That really sucks

Hey, i didn't even know you were in Houston. You should've called the H-Town Max/ICCH patrol. He'd have a convoy of Maxima and ICCH peeps hounding him all night

I think you'll be fine, if 911 instructed you to follow him (and thus the chase) then you have a strong case in your favor even though you rear-ended him.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:31 AM
RussMaxManiac

For people who do that, I usually hit my brakes to tap the lights a few times, if they don't go away, I then scare them by using my left foot and hitting the brake pedal HARD, and hitting the gas at the same time so I speed up real quick so he won't hit me, that usually takes care of them, and they pass with the middle finger at me. lol

Old 03-28-2002, 10:34 AM
RussMaxManiac

Well, as far as I know in Texas brake checking someone when there is no immediat need or danger constitutes road rage and in the case of a rear ending the fault goes to the person who did the brake checking. Hence why when he started tailgating all I did was take my foot off of the gas and not brake check. I will ask my lawyer about that one. I will get back later on today.
I have never ever heard of such a law. I was taught in driver's ed about cough 11 years ago brake checking was recommended to warn the person to get off your ***.

Old 03-28-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I have never ever heard of such a law. I was taught in driver's ed about cough 11 years ago brake checking was recommended to warn the person to get off your ***.
Well, in my defensive driving class *cough* a month ago, it says NOT to brake check. It may be a warning, but the state of Texas, and probably other states don't think too kindly of brake checking..
Old 03-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

He didn't get away, yes.

But you shouldn't have chased him in the first place. You should have just let him go and had your insurance deal with it.

That may have cost you $15k.

That was just plain stupid. But I'm glad you're OK.

Be safe out there.

IanS
Old 03-28-2002, 10:43 AM

You guys can't really blame him. Think if someone hit you and ran away. 90% of us or more would chase that person for some reason either it be to get his/her license plate number or to try to get them to stop.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:54 AM

damn, that is crazy!!! I would be so ****ed off. I hope that guy gets in some serious trouble. Your lucky you made it out ok. Take Care
Old 03-28-2002, 01:34 PM

Our insurance company's are the same, Allstate. Now my adjuster is mad because I have an attorney...LOL She asked; "why do you have an attorney, I am your adjuster in this claim and am looking out for your best interest's" LOLOLOLOLOL. I said, who do you work for again?, and her reply was Allstate, and I said thank you, here is the number to my attorney. I don't even have to answer any questions. I like having a lawyer.

He didn't get away....
Old 03-28-2002, 01:52 PM

update

ok guys, I just got off the phone with my lawyer and he says that the state views all rear end collisions as the fault of the one who did the rearending. BUT, if it can be proved that those circumstances resulting in the rearending were the lead vehicles fault then liability switches to the other person. In his own words, "we are going to screw his a$$ to the wall"...HELL YEAH!!

He didn't get away....
Old 03-28-2002, 01:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You probably would have to prove that he slammed on his brakes intentionally to make you run into him. Your best bet would have been to have witnesses.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:39 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

this sounds like an episode of COPS