General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is the CEL & SES warnings one & the same thing?

Old 06-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is the CEL & SES warnings one & the same thing?

CEL = check engine light

SES = Service Engine Soon

My SES light keeps coming on! Twice this week ... I reset the computer and it disappears but there is not one thing that consistently triggers it.

Todays event was a very hard race from 1st to 3rd gear ... I drove to just below the redline in each gear. After that the SES light came on and the car sounded like an old mustang or camaro ... beautiful growling noise but I knew that my ride wasn't healthy ...

HELP!
Old 06-08-2002, 11:21 PM

Yes, they're the same thing.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:30 PM

Re: Is the CEL & SES warnings one & the same thing?

Originally posted by ohboiya
CEL = check engine light

SES = Service Engine Soon

My SES light keeps coming on! Twice this week ... I reset the computer and it disappears but there is not one thing that consistently triggers it.

Todays event was a very hard race from 1st to 3rd gear ... I drove to just below the redline in each gear. After that the SES light came on and the car sounded like an old mustang or camaro ... beautiful growling noise but I knew that my ride wasn't healthy ...

HELP!
First of all, the check engine light and the service engine light soon are not the same thing. The SES light pertains to your vehicles OBDII. The check engine light, which I don't think we 5th gen Maxima owners have is a reminder light to let you know that some sort of service is due(i.e. trans flush etc...). The SES light goes on when something is wrong the the emissions in your vehicle. Resetting it will not solve the problem. It will just keep coming on. Have it checked and find out what is causing the light to come on then post your results for the rest of us.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:58 PM

Our cars only have the SES light, which is more closer to other vehicle's CHECK ENGINE Light.

Check Engine means some sensor has gone off and it needs fixing. This doesn't not come on in intervals.

Honda's have something called, "Maint Required" THis is just an interval timer that reminds the owner that he needs to pay Acura to do a service (in event do nothing except check a bunch of things). Honda's also have a Check Engine which goes off when something has gone amiss.

We do not have a Maint Required light, our SES light is closer to other manufacturer's CHECK ENGINE. THe first time my Service Engine Soon light off, I thought it was an interval timer and said screw that, nothing's wrong. Oops as I drag raced my car down the strip with a disconnected MAF (16.1 second run, right after running a 14.7). Bleh oh well I think Nissan should've made it a 'Check Engine' light.