Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   re: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tires, no good (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/95632-re-kumho-ecsta-supra-712-tires-no-good.html)

Y2KMaxGXE-R 06-18-2002 09:57 PM

re: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tires, no good

I am having a very bad experience with these. Just got a set 2 mos ago. The labels on them said they were made like 2 yrs ago, so I assume they were just laying around in the warehouse.

These tires are really bad for launching, there's like almost no traction. Little pieces of rubber come out of the damn tire! Also, hit the side of the tire on the curb slightly while parking, and that made some chunk of rubber to come off... ANy of you had similar experiences with Kumhos? What do you suggest I do?

The set has only 2K miles on it. Got them from Tirerack, so the **** is under the wtty. I can call my credit card co and cancel the pmt...

:rolleyes:

Bags 06-18-2002 10:06 PM

actually I just put 20,000 miles on my last set. They did need about 30 minutes of warm up time in 80 degree weather though. BUT if they sat around for 2 years dry rot would be the pharse of the day

sorry to hear that man

try calling tire rack and if nothing contact credit card company

WizzaMax 06-18-2002 10:18 PM

I am not certain I will buy Kumhos when I get new tires..mine were used when I got them and cupped in the back. All four generate exceptional road noise and I prefer the quiter ride.

xHypex 06-18-2002 11:00 PM

I run my Kumhos on my 16s when I am not using my Nittos on my 18s, and frankly I think they are a decent tire. I like my Nittos better overall, but at less than half the price ($300 versus $740) I would keep buying Kumhos. For me the Kumhos are my abuse tires for track/autocross, but they also ride pretty well on the highway and the street.
-hype

Eric L. 06-18-2002 11:02 PM

I have had Kumho 712's for around 10,000 miles now and there are no problem. They handle great and are wearing evenly with rotations.

Requin6 06-18-2002 11:22 PM

i would have to agree with the kumho being a very decent tire. i have had them on for about 3 months now and they handle very well, low noise, and wear evenly. i also bought them from tirerack. sorry to hear your bad fortune with getting an old set.

DaddyMac 06-18-2002 11:49 PM

try FALKENS, they are inexpensive and made in Japan. they are great :)

Turbo95Max 06-19-2002 12:50 AM

The ECSTA 712's are decent tires. ive prolly sold over 20 sets of these to customers. They dont compare to other top notch tires i sell like RE730's or SO-3's but for the money you cant beat the Kumhos. Keep in mind you paid less for the tires so somewhere you will sacrafice something, sometimes quality control isnt as good or waranty support isnt as good also.

a few of my customers went from 712's to the RE730s. They thought the Kumhos was a good tire until they experinced the Bridgestones..hehe i think someone on the SE-R boards posted simlar experinces also.

95emeraldgxe 06-19-2002 01:03 AM

sumthing must seriously be wrong if a chunk came off when you hit a curb at like 3MPH

CIRCO 06-19-2002 01:07 AM

Re: re: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tires, no good

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I am having a very bad experience with these. Just got a set 2 mos ago. The labels on them said they were made like 2 yrs ago, so I assume they were just laying around in the warehouse.

These tires are really bad for launching, there's like almost no traction. Little pieces of rubber come out of the damn tire! Also, hit the side of the tire on the curb slightly while parking, and that made some chunk of rubber to come off... ANy of you had similar experiences with Kumhos? What do you suggest I do?

The set has only 2K miles on it. Got them from Tirerack, so the **** is under the wtty. I can call my credit card co and cancel the pmt...

:rolleyes:

It's under wtty? What do you mean? Tirerack says there is a warranty for them? Thats news to me man. I didn't know that. I have the 712 235/40/18's and think they are great rain tires but could be better on dry ground. I have never had them blow chunks out though. Sounds like a manufacturer defect to me.

CIRCO 06-19-2002 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
The ECSTA 712's are decent tires. ive prolly sold over 20 sets of these to customers. They dont compare to other top notch tires i sell like RE730's or SO-3's but for the money you cant beat the Kumhos. Keep in mind you paid less for the tires so somewhere you will sacrafice something, sometimes quality control isnt as good or waranty support isnt as good also.

a few of my customers went from 712's to the RE730s. They thought the Kumhos was a good tire until they experinced the Bridgestones..hehe i think someone on the SE-R boards posted simlar experinces also.

I wish I could afford S0-3's!:eek: That is an awesome tire.:bawling:

Turbo95Max 06-19-2002 01:21 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

I wish I could afford S0-3's!:eek: That is an awesome tire.:bawling:

the S0-3's area actually a bit cheaper in price compared to the same size in SO-2's. they also last longer then the 2's. its cool cause we have 50% off employee specials on S0-3's and RE950s. so i think when my RE730's wear out ill get SO-3s for summer tires and RE950's for rain tires..

CIRCO 06-19-2002 02:58 AM

the S0-3's area actually a bit cheaper in price compared to the same size in SO-2's. they also last longer then the 2's. its cool cause we have 50% off employee specials on S0-3's and RE950s. so i think when my RE730's wear out ill get SO-3s for summer tires and RE950's for rain tires..

Uh any chance you could pass those savings on to a fellow maxima owner. But catch is I live in Hawaii(only air shipping)

Frank Fontaine 06-19-2002 04:11 AM

Re: re: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tires, no good

[i]

:rolleyes: [/B]
You wont be able to obtain a credit through the card co., as the goods were delivered. Disputing charges is not a substitute for warranty or buying the wrong product. Kumho is spending lots of dough on advertising, such as the Stanley Cup playoffs. This tire is standard fare on Kia. If it's that great, how come Hyundai mounts Michelins on US cars? Hankook, Kumho, Lucky Dragon, I'd stay away from these tires. But those folks blew my team out of the World Cup, was that dude, Ahn? Good player, hard workers. Someday they'll build a tire. Crazy work ethic, but right now Japanese still build some of the best.

mzmtg 06-19-2002 05:00 AM

so i think when my RE730's wear out ill get SO-3s for summer tires and RE950's for rain tires..

I have the RE950's on my stock steelies. I believe they are the best all season performance tire, bar none.

Cumalot 06-19-2002 05:17 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

I have the RE950's on my stock steelies. I believe they are the best all season performance tire, bar none.

I have to agree. Ben convinced me in buying the RE950's. I have them on my stock 15" SE wheels. Excellent grip in dry and wet weather. I have no regret buying them.

Mizeree_X 06-19-2002 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

I have to agree. Ben convinced me in buying the RE950's. I have them on my stock 15" SE wheels. Excellent grip in dry and wet weather. I have no regret buying them.

I second that notion :)

Lime 06-19-2002 06:05 AM

I'm still trying to decide on tires. Falken Azenias are great but only on dry pavement...I want a nice non-winter tire that won't wear TOO fast, and is pretty sticky. The 712's were recommended to me, but...I dunno...still can't decide.

Bags 06-19-2002 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Lime
I'm still trying to decide on tires. Falken Azenias are great but only on dry pavement...I want a nice non-winter tire that won't wear TOO fast, and is pretty sticky. The 712's were recommended to me, but...I dunno...still can't decide.

Honestly, I had the kumho's and they were a good tire. In the rain the were very good. I drive to fast in the rain, and they held up. The s-03 I keep reading and hearing that they are the bomb.

I switched from kumho's to toyo proxes t1-s. Still working them in :)

dwapenyi 06-19-2002 07:23 AM

I've had the Kumho 712s for about 10K miles now. They're good tires. No chunks breaking off. They do need a little time to warm up before they can give you their best dry grip, but that's pretty the time you take to warm the car to operating temp as you drive along. Their dry grip is good, but ti's clear that they sacrificed ultimate dry handling to lean more towards excellent wet handling. I feel so confident driving in the rain with these Kumhos, it's ridiculous. One other thing I like with Kunhos, I had Pirelli P7000SSs before, the 7000s didn't have an outter lip to prtect your rim from curbside parking. My rims suffered for that, scrathces galore. The Kumhos have a generous lip.
At $100/tire in 225/45/17, the Kumhos are un-beatable.
DW

Blackgums100 06-19-2002 08:49 AM

I have them too

Originally posted by mzmtg

Do you have more road noise at say 55 then with your stockies? I had mine put on about 4 months ago and have moderate road noise that has me a little worried. I will rotate, check the tire pressue and see if that alleviates it. If not I might have them checked. Besides the noise they are a great all season tire, Grrrrrrrrr great.:goofy:

Lime 06-19-2002 09:23 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
One other thing I like with Kunhos, I had Pirelli P7000SSs before, the 7000s didn't have an outter lip to prtect your rim from curbside parking. My rims suffered for that, scrathces galore. The Kumhos have a generous lip.
At $100/tire in 225/45/17, the Kumhos are un-beatable.
DW

wow! Thanks...the lip part is actually a pretty important thing for me. As for warming up, I would expect a lot of tires have a warmup period. I think I will probably end up with them in the end. (next month)

MaDMaX024 06-19-2002 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Lime
if you want a great non winter tire, i'd suggest falken..ive got Ziex ZE-502's on my 17's (235/45) and they're excellent. with some new power stuff (and a fully functional clutch), i'm a little worried about how my stock rims and tires will hold up over the winter.
btw, i paid $109 a piece w/tax for the ziexs.
also consider the other falken tires as i've heard great things about them.
oh, the only thing i dont like about my falkens is, around some corners and over bumps at spirited speeds, they squeel, but have never let go in the rain or dry. braking is also amazing, the only wet traction problems arise when i'm applying alot of throttle from a stop, but its no big deal..i shouldnt be racing when its wet anyway.

Cumalot 06-19-2002 09:39 AM

Re: I have them too

Originally posted by Blackgums100

Do you have more road noise at say 55 then with your stockies? I had mine put on about 4 months ago and have moderate road noise that has me a little worried. I will rotate, check the tire pressue and see if that alleviates it. If not I might have them checked. Besides the noise they are a great all season tire, Grrrrrrrrr great.:goofy:

Hm...weird, my RE950's are pretty quiet. What tire pressure setting you have them at? I have them at 35psi all around.

JMAX95 06-19-2002 09:40 AM

I just had a set of 225/45/17 712's put on yesterday. They are much quieter and smoother than my crappy goodyears. And yes, the gernerous lip is a plus for my SSR 17's.

Turbo95Max 06-19-2002 10:52 AM

most of the advertising of the RE950 has gone to wet traction and hydroplaning. We got to test these on a wet autocross aganist our competitors tires...im impressed with its wet handling capabilities.

as for lips, i always thought the 712 rim protector was lame. Try tires like RE730s SO-3s, T1-S, Pilot Sports, and others and youll see what im talkin about..

dwapenyi 06-19-2002 11:08 AM

Compared to the non-existant one on the Pirelli 7000SS, it's not lame.

DW

most of the advertising of the RE950 has gone to wet traction and hydroplaning. We got to test these on a wet autocross aganist our competitors tires...im impressed with its wet handling capabilities.

as for lips, i always thought the 712 rim protector was lame. Try tires like RE730s SO-3s, T1-S, Pilot Sports, and others and youll see what im talkin about..

theblue 06-19-2002 11:13 AM

my kumbos are good tires for autoX and not that bad for drag. I have compared them to the Falken tires and concluded that the falkens are junk... yeah they look nice... but they can't deliver. I beat an S4 with falkens at my last autoX and I have to say that even the S4 owner said buying the falkens was the biggest mistake ever (he hates the performance, his wife hates the noise!)

BlackCat 06-19-2002 11:25 AM

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

oh, the only thing i dont like about my falkens is, around some corners and over bumps at spirited speeds, they squeel, but have never let go in the rain or dry.

My Falken Ziex 512s haven't squealed yet...

Btw check out the latest issue of SCC mag...it has an article on all of the performance tires available..

Chinkzilla 06-19-2002 12:59 PM

I am absolutely in love with my michellin pilot sports
haven't driven them in the rain, but they have a TENACIOUS grip on the road! :)

mzmtg 06-19-2002 01:06 PM

Re: Re: I have them too

Originally posted by Cumalot

Hm...weird, my RE950's are pretty quiet. What tire pressure setting you have them at? I have them at 35psi all around.

I run mine at 33/31 front/rear.

I havent noticed excessive road noise. They seem about the same as the tires I've had in the past: Goodyear Eagle GA, Toyo Proxes H4, Bridgestone Potenza RE930...

Y2KMaxGXE-R 06-19-2002 03:17 PM

Whoa this thread became popular. Thats it-a chunk of my front tire's "protection" lip came off when I was trying to park.

Dont get me wrong, Kumho is a great tire for the buck, its just seems that mine is a defective set. After racing with my partners here, I could see little chunks of the tire loose on the pavement.

As far as the extended wtty, there's a factory wtty...I'll call TireRack tomorrow and see what they can say. Also, when you charge a merchandise over $100 from a seller over 100 miles from your residence, credit card company provides with add'l protection...like add'l year of manufacturers wtty against defects. What folks at tirerack can do is either issue a store credit, a credit card credit, or tell me to dismount and ship the set back at my time and $ expense. As the worst case scenario, I will keep them, given that I will snap my 15" steelies back on in early fall.

JMAX95 06-19-2002 03:22 PM

Aren't you glad that it was a "chunk" of your tire instead of your rim? If it indeed protected your rim, then the lip has served its purpose.

Whoa this thread became popular. Thats it-a chunk of my front tire's "protection" lip came off when I was trying to park.

Dont get me wrong, Kumho is a great tire for the buck, its just seems that mine is a defective set. After racing with my partners here, I could see little chunks of the tire loose on the pavement.

As far as the extended wtty, there's a factory wtty...I'll call TireRack tomorrow and see what they can say. Also, when you charge a merchandise over $100 from a seller over 100 miles from your residence, credit card company provides with add'l protection...like add'l year of manufacturers wtty against defects. What folks at tirerack can do is either issue a store credit, a credit card credit, or tell me to dismount and ship the set back at my time and $ expense. As the worst case scenario, I will keep them, given that I will snap my 15" steelies back on in early fall.

PRPmax 06-19-2002 04:09 PM

My Kumhos only lasted 10k..I hardly drive hard at all. That was my last set i'll get from them.

Frank Fontaine 06-19-2002 06:06 PM

Originally posted by PRPmax
My Kumhos only lasted 10k..I hardly drive hard at all. That was my last set i'll get from them.
Not impressed by RE950 either, they claim to be so good at wet traction yet they fail to achieve a AA rating for traction. I see some older 528i at the parking lot at work with the Sport A2. They got the AA rating and the tread looks agressive too, that is for the stock size.

I can tell you though RS-A lasted me 57,000 with tread to spare. But I noticed cracks in the sidewall so it was 18" bad-boy time. :D

Y2KMaxGXE-R 06-19-2002 06:08 PM

Originally posted by JMAX95
Aren't you glad that it was a "chunk" of your tire instead of your rim? If it indeed protected your rim, then the lip has served its purpose.

I'm glad to some extent, since there's a minor scratch on the rim..but the place of the impact was far off from the rim. My concern is that the tire won't fall apart while driving or emergency braking..I did not expect a lot from it, but cmon it must be glued together right.

sleepermax 06-19-2002 08:35 PM

Guys save up some money, stick with your current tire a little more if need be, and get the Pilot Sport A/S's.
Believe me, you will not regret for a second spending the extra cash for these. They are simply awesome all-around AND they have a treadwear rating of 400!
I've tried the Kuhmos and think they are pretty good FOR the money but their quality control leaves a lot to be desired.
I've also tried the SO3's and they have absolutely unbelieveable dry traction - they stick incredibly, incredibly well! But they wear out very quickly.
The A/S's are very close in traction characteristics to the SO3's, but they seem to be lasting a lot longer, and they are all-season as well!

Y2KMaxGXE-R 06-19-2002 08:40 PM

Originally posted by sleepermax
Guys save up some money, stick with your current tire a little more if need be, and get the Pilot Sport A/S's.
yep, no doubt Michelin is the best tire on the market, but most ppl here agree that's a lot of $$ for the tire, especially in 18"...you can go with a cheaper tire and buy some mods..."so much riding on your tire" damn yes, $1000 bux for a set of 18" tires???Hell no!

sleepermax 06-19-2002 08:48 PM

yep, no doubt Michelin is the best tire on the market, but most ppl here agree that's a lot of $$ for the tire, especially in 18"...you can go with a cheaper tire and buy some mods..."so much riding on your tire" damn yes, $1000 bux for a set of 18" tires???Hell no!

Believe me - they are worth EVERY penny. The couple of hundred more you spend will seem like chump change, regarless of what your salary is, once you drive around on these. They totally change the handling characteristics of your car. And keep in mind they will last longer than most other tires.

Y2KMaxGXE-R 06-19-2002 09:02 PM

Originally posted by sleepermax
Believe me - they are worth EVERY penny. The couple of hundred more you spend will seem like chump change, regarless of what your salary is, once you drive around on these. They totally change the handling characteristics of your car. And keep in mind they will last longer than most other tires.
I think differently. My car takes me from A to B, 0-60 swiftly...uhm, and ride on my 18's only 5K mi/year. They handle good enough for me. But those extra $600 (not $200) can be spent on Y-pipe, intake, and some bulbs...:kiss: