Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Maxima and Altima go back to IRS (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/996-maxima-altima-go-back-irs.html)

RussMaxManiac 09-05-2000 02:10 PM

Maxima will get Independent suspension for 2003, the ALTIMA gets it for 2002! I guess Nissan WOKE UP! :)

TimW 09-05-2000 02:29 PM

I think I've been guinea pigged enough for awhile.

I'll pass on the first year they throw ind. susp. back in.

Eric L. 09-05-2000 02:40 PM

Altima has IRS now

I think the Altima currently has IRS right now.

It has Nissan's Super Rear Toe control suspension in the rear if I recall correctly.

RussMaxManiac 09-05-2000 02:41 PM

Re: Altima has IRS now

Originally posted by Eric L.

It has Nissan's Super Rear Toe control suspension in the rear if I recall correctly.

That's what I thought, but freshalloy says it doesn't...whos right?

bill99gxe 09-05-2000 03:17 PM

Altima already has IRS,

they introduced it for 2001. On Chad's BBS I posted a long rant about this once I saw it advertised on Nissan's website for the "new" 2001 Altima. Interestingly, Nissan now makes barely a mention of it on their own website, instead emphasizing the "Super Toe Control" which acts similarly to 4-wheel steering. Only by looking at the "Suspension and Steering" portion of the "Features" link for the Altima will you see the admission by Nissan that the Altima has an independent suspension.

I'm sure they used the 2001 model year as a "phase-in" for this suspension....

Edmunds mentions it as well:

<A HREF ="http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/nissan/altima/se.html">http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/nissan/altima/se.html</A>

Eric L. 09-05-2000 03:33 PM

Re: Altima already has IRS,

I think the Altima has always had IRS. It never had a beam suspension. The changes Nissan made for 2000 to the Altima's suspension is the adaptive shock absorbers.

Originally posted by bill99gxe
they introduced it for 2001. On Chad's BBS I posted a long rant about this once I saw it advertised on Nissan's website for the "new" 2001 Altima. Interestingly, Nissan now makes barely a mention of it on their own website, instead emphasizing the "Super Toe Control" which acts similarly to 4-wheel steering. Only by looking at the "Suspension and Steering" portion of the "Features" link for the Altima will you see the admission by Nissan that the Altima has an independent suspension.

I'm sure they used the 2001 model year as a "phase-in" for this suspension....

Edmunds mentions it as well:

<A HREF ="http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/nissan/altima/se.html">http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/nissan/altima/se.html</A>

Mike S. 09-05-2000 03:52 PM

LOL....I'm starting NOT to belive Freshalloy.....

We have had a 96Altima(1st gen) and now have a 98 SE altima. BOTH IRS :) 98 handles like a dream with lousy firestone tires :)

I think the 2k with the fancy shocks, fstb, and 16's with LOW profile tires KICKS ***....better than a max se.

Mike S.

Eric L. 09-05-2000 03:59 PM

Re: LOL....I'm starting NOT to belive Freshalloy.....

Yeah Motortrend's long termer 99 Altima SE posted better handling numbers than a 2k Maxima SE. In fact, it even outslalomed a Civic Si.

Originally posted by Mike S.
We have had a 96Altima(1st gen) and now have a 98 SE altima. BOTH IRS :) 98 handles like a dream with lousy firestone tires :)

I think the 2k with the fancy shocks, fstb, and 16's with LOW profile tires KICKS ***....better than a max se.

Mike S.

freshalloy 09-05-2000 06:24 PM

Clarification from FreshAlloy.com

We at FreshAlloy.com _never_ said the Altima has a non independent rear suspension.

It's always had basically the same rear suspension since inception in 1993. If you look on our model matrix, it says "new independent rear" meaning a new multilink rear is coming. It's not the infamous multilink beam but a true multilink independent suspension design.

Originally posted by Russ2kSE

Originally posted by Eric L.

That's what I thought, but freshalloy says it doesn't...whos right?

Max I am 09-05-2000 07:06 PM

now that's cool...

On freshalloy there's always the debate as to whether Nissan execs read the pages to see what people are thinking, never did I really think that the Freshalloy people would be reading this BBS...I guess it only makes sense if they are true Nissan fanatics.

Max I am 09-05-2000 07:14 PM

now that's cool...

On freshalloy there's always the debate as to whether Nissan execs read the pages to see what people are thinking, never did I really think that the Freshalloy people would be reading this BBS...I guess it only makes sense if they are true Nissan fanatics.

Max I am 09-05-2000 07:33 PM

now that's cool...

Wizeguy 09-05-2000 10:03 PM

Re: now that's cool...

Originally posted by Max I am
Max I am... Now you're a fanatic... :bonk: hehe...

Hey Fresh Alloy I just found your site a few day's ago keep up the good work. Where do you get your info? If you want to keep it a secret I guess thats ok.

I've gotta save my bucks for the Z. I'm having this dream...

Kenneth 09-05-2000 10:40 PM

Re: now that's cool...

i like what freshalloy did. hopefully they did not do just a search_for_freshalloy :spin:

Originally posted by Max I am

Black VQ 09-06-2000 05:52 AM

The Max and Altima will both have IRS because they will both be sharing the same platform. In an interview with Max Speed(before they changed to Max Power US), Jerry Hirschberg or whatever his name is said that the Altima and Max will share the same platform, and the Altima would finally get the VQ(3L I guess) as an option, while the Max would get a 3.5L V6.

Mr. Rose 09-06-2000 06:13 AM

IT's ABOUT TIME!!!!!...

GlaD to see a ind. rear on a max! it's been over 6 years and now they decide to bring it back. RIGHT ON. DO I bother to guess that with this "new" rear, do we also see a healthier powerplant? seems only right :) opinions on that?