Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Are you satisfied with your foglights performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Are you satisfied with your foglights performance?

A few days ago, the weather conditions were really foggy to the point where I could not see further than 15 feet away while driving at night! So, I turned my foglights (with ion hella bulbs 55 watts) on and could not see the difference!?!
Now, I remember back in the day, I had a Honda Accord and I had installed some $50 aftermarket Tenzo foglight (couldn't afford PIAAs) and those foglights pierced thru dense fog. The main color of the light was that bright lexus-like yellow and the light pattern it gave on the pavement was a huge yellow spot with different color rings around it kinda like a rainbow.

I like the yellow foglights but I don't want to add additional foglights to my ride. I'm looking for the good performance. Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:34 AM

I think mine (stock units) suck also. I'll be interested to see what comes up from the others...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:37 AM

They say Narva Rally Gold H3 Bulbs are the best, but I uno. I wanna put matchin HID's in mine, then get a nice pair of Narva 3" rounds and install them as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 AM

I am looking forward for bulb recommendation just like the lexus style yellow fog lights.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Donating i30 Owner

hm yea good point my HD projectors kick *** at night but when its snowing i need soem yellow fogs.. similar to the lex type.. yes.. before anyone says it.. i know the is300 has yellow porjector and not bulb.. hehe
Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 PM

Hey Nib, do I sense another projector project for your car? Yikes! Also, the corner lights next to the fogs, what bulb fits them? If I could get H3 Narva Golds for the Fogs, I'd like to match them with the same IS300 Yellow color as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
Hey Nib, do I sense another projector project for your car? Yikes! Also, the corner lights next to the fogs, what bulb fits them? If I could get H3 Narva Golds for the Fogs, I'd like to match them with the same IS300 Yellow color as well.
hey who's nib? and are you talking about using the projector's lense on your foglight? That should make the light beam travel further, right?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 AM

I installed the Hella Yellow Star H3 55W bulbs yesterday. I have yet to get out at night to see the difference. I had them in my Altima and loved them.

[Thread Jack]
Little story, I have had them for a while and went in for an oil change at the Nissan dealer and they could not get them to install. He said that the bulbs would not fit because of the bulb housing see the pic: ......

The A$$ was trying to put the bulb in upside down.....

Oh Lord, Should I still take my car here for Oil changes???
[/Thread Jack]

Back on the subject, I was going to splurge and get the PIAA Yellow Ion bulbs, about $25 each, but I decided not to and to go for the ones I already had. Besides there is not much fog or snow around here.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

I don't know about you guys, but I bought the PIAA ION crystal yellows the 2nd day I had my car. There is a HUGE difference between stock h3 bulbs and yellow PIAA H3s. I had Extreme white PIAA's before but, the yellow is just down right blinding.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by leeI35
I don't know about you guys, but I bought the PIAA ION crystal yellows the 2nd day I had my car. There is a HUGE difference between stock h3 bulbs and yellow PIAA H3s. I had Extreme white PIAA's before but, the yellow is just down right blinding.
How are they when you drive in the fog? Do the PIAA ION break thru the fog so you can see further away?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:23 AM

where n how much for did you buy them ? online ??
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by speye022
How are they when you drive in the fog? Do the PIAA ION break thru the fog so you can see further away?
this a meet we had awhile ago

my car is the far left with the yellow ions. Look at the ground illumination of the yellow light. The white maxima which is 2 cars down has silverstars or piaas in it. Look at my ground illumination lenght compared to the maxima.

Oh and I bought these off the internet for about 52.86 with free shipping. I got them from brandsport automotive. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere, I tried and these people seem to be the cheapest. Expect to pay anywhere from 50-65 for these bulbs. I don't know where the guy in the above post got them for 22 something a piece.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Holy huge pic Batman!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:42 AM

That's what I'm talking about leeI35! thanks. PIAA ion crystal it will have to be.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by I35Junkie
Holy huge pic Batman!!!
Sorry about the pic size. I copied the image link from another thread we have in the Regional section and pasted the image link into this thread. But yeah, the picture is a LITTLE BIG.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by I35Junkie
I installed the Hella Yellow Star H3 55W bulbs yesterday. I have yet to get out at night to see the difference. I had them in my Altima and loved them.

[Thread Jack]
Little story, I have had them for a while and went in for an oil change at the Nissan dealer and they could not get them to install. He said that the bulbs would not fit because of the bulb housing see the pic: ......

The A$$ was trying to put the bulb in upside down.....

Oh Lord, Should I still take my car here for Oil changes???
[/Thread Jack]

Back on the subject, I was going to splurge and get the PIAA Yellow Ion bulbs, about $25 each, but I decided not to and to go for the ones I already had. Besides there is not much fog or snow around here.
Hey, Thats my hand!!!

Anyhou, I have the PIAA Ion Crystals in my fogs too and am not nearly as pleased as LeeI35 seems to be. I think they are dim, and they are not as yellow as I would like them to be.

Ive been thinking of upgrading the wiring on the fogs so i can safely run higher wattage bulbs. I have also seen some yellow bulb covers (5th Gen forum) that made some brilliant yellow light. Sorry I dont rememer who made them.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Hey, Thats my hand!!!

Anyhou, I have the PIAA Ion Crystals in my fogs too and am not nearly as pleased as LeeI35 seems to be. I think they are dim, and they are not as yellow as I would like them to be.

Ive been thinking of upgrading the wiring on the fogs so i can safely run higher wattage bulbs. I have also seen some yellow bulb covers (5th Gen forum) that made some brilliant yellow light. Sorry I dont rememer who made them.
dude, any more wattage and you don't have to worry about burning out the harness, you will also melt the housing and surrounding assembly. Trust me, I have, that's why I am content with the piaas. If you guys really want a nice yellow, why not stop at a lexus dealership and just order the fog bulbs for the GS430 and IS300? I did notice that the stock bulbs on the lexus are still brighter than mine reason for that, is they use 9006 HB4 bulbs. We can not use those because our fog light housings were not designed for that amount of wattage. The only way to get real good fogs, outside of piaa replacements is to get a real HID kit fitted for the fogs or replace the fog housing with another brand, or just by real fog lights from somewhere. OR by the lexus fogs, and don't run your fogs all the time.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:32 AM

This has probably been posted already but we'll never achieve the brightness of the lexus IS300 in our fogs with fying our harness or melting the housing because they use projectors. Same with the Infiniti QX4! I have sone Nokia Ion yellow H3s in my fog and I get the same color but not the brightness, but then again I have HIDs so I don't really care! There are some bright ion yellow color HIDs out there. i think it like 3200K kit. Maybe you could look for those. Same yellow color of the Lexus but with tons more brightness! I see if I can find a pic!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47 AM

3000K HIDs

Here is one pic. Not a real good one but I try and find more. It the BMW on the right.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by queenambeach
This has probably been posted already but we'll never achieve the brightness of the lexus IS300 in our fogs with fying our harness or melting the housing because they use projectors. Same with the Infiniti QX4! I have sone Nokia Ion yellow H3s in my fog and I get the same color but not the brightness, but then again I have HIDs so I don't really care! There are some bright ion yellow color HIDs out there. i think it like 3200K kit. Maybe you could look for those. Same yellow color of the Lexus but with tons more brightness! I see if I can find a pic!
Your car is looking good with the lights! That's my setup minus, my car came stock with HID's.

**OT** I see you are from trinidad, my fiance is from San Fernando, Trinidad. If you know of Teddy's Roti shop on georgia avenue, my fiance's father's brother is Teddy. They used to own the shop before David's crew got on-board. Anyway, if you see a Silver I35 or Black G35 with a trini tassel on the rear-view mirror, holla. (fiance said I officially been converted over to a coolie)
Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 AM

The foglights in the infiniti i30/5 is just an aesthetic lighting. They weren't really meant to be functional, so don't expect much help from them. If you have HIDS, they eat through the fog way better than the fogs do anyways.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:07 PM

I have Piaa ion yellows too. However, it's not as great as it can be, because my housing is kinda cloudy. It looked WAY better in my friend's G20. I can't say if there really is an improvement over the stocks, but I can say it's an improvement over no fogs.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Your car is looking good with the lights! That's my setup minus, my car came stock with HID's.

**OT** I see you are from trinidad, my fiance is from San Fernando, Trinidad. If you know of Teddy's Roti shop on georgia avenue, my fiance's father's brother is Teddy. They used to own the shop before David's crew got on-board. Anyway, if you see a Silver I35 or Black G35 with a trini tassel on the rear-view mirror, holla. (fiance said I officially been converted over to a coolie)
LOL she convert yuh into a coolie huh? I'll keep an eye out for you. I guess you're a bonified roti eater now!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Donating i30 Owner

hahahahaa roti eater... hmm .. well i am for shure a roti eater.. from india where it all began.. heh... anyway.. hmmm projector in foglights...... ahh forget it... okay quick question... do any companies make bulbs that fit the corner accent lights next to teh fogs .. cause i have the whoel bottom lights up with teh fogs.. .. so i was wondering if there are any lights that will work with the corners(next to fog)
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by nguyendot
The foglights in the infiniti i30/5 is just an aesthetic lighting. They weren't really meant to be functional, so don't expect much help from them. If you have HIDS, they eat through the fog way better than the fogs do anyways.
So if you are saying that the combination of the fog housing and bulb in our I30s is aesthetic and not functional, i better start saving for some HIDs! All I want is to see thru the fog. In this case, I rather be safe than look good.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 PM

I'll try to get a pic of my Hella Yellow Star bulbs. They are 55w=85w. They may not be the great bulbs like PIAA, but they do the job. (they were great in my Altima '97) I have them in my I35 and have yet to drive at night this week. I will get to see them tonight on the way home from class. The Hella's were only like $6 each. So with shipping, I think they were less than 20 bucks.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:30 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Well guys, I just got a G35 for my fiance to compliment the I35 that I have. I put in silverstars on the G35 fogs, and side by side the I35 with the G35, the I35 with the piaa fogs are definetly brighter. Like I35junkie's hella yellow lights, the PIAA are rated 55w but actually shine like 85-100w. I luv the PIAA's yellow with real Xenon HID's, I think this weekend I am going to pick up a pair of PIAA yellows for the G35. That would be pimp with a black car!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:18 PM

I'm getting an I30 this week, but I used to drive a Grand Prix, and I put Sylvannia Silverstars in my fog lights and they were even brighter than my PIAA Platinum headlight bulbs. But I mean like extremely noticeable difference. It was weird
Old 01-23-2005, 09:43 AM

Since everyone keeps asking and noone is answering, the cornering lights on our vehicles use a simple 1156 type bulb, same as the rear turn signal and back-up lights, they're availiable in about any color you could want, even LED's ... http://www.autolumination.com
Anyway... as for the Fogs, I've got a 98 I30 with one fog lens slightly cracked and pretty discolored, the other is nice and clear... the clear one is fairly bright with just plain Sylvania halogen bulbs... I think the main issue is with fog lenses becoming discolored or sandy in appearance, just like the headlight lenses are succeptible to... If you do have a problem with a sandy/cloudy or discolored appearance that is definately on the outside of your lens, try Meguiar's Plastx Clear Plastic cleaner and polish, I used it on my dad's Avalon and cleaned the headlamps and foglamps right up... If you have problems finding it, AutoZone usually carries it, however it's out of stock pretty often, if you really can't find it, PM me and I'll see what I can do to get you some. As for bulbs, if you want something that penetrates fog, look for any yellow-hued bulb, bluish and purplish light reflects more readily off of moisture. If you still aren't happy with the performance of your fogs, try to find the housings off of a 99 i30, they'll fit the same, and have a clear lens... the other option is the non OEM 'euro clear' fog housings... I can't recommend or complain about these, because I haven't used them and I've never seen them on our cars, they look mostly the same as the stock ones, but I have no data about how well they fit or how well they distribute light. Once you get everything replaced and/or cleaned up, you oughta protect em too... http://www.stongard.com
*edit* one more little detail I forgot about... I'm not positive, but I also believe I heard someone talking about an aiming adjuster on our fogs?
*edit... again* Just FYI the Meguiar's I'm talking about comes in a little foil/plastic packet, I don't beleive it's the same as the stuff in the bottle at Wal-Mart. The packet should say, 'Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish' it's usually with the headlight bulbs in AutoZone, next to the little packs of bulb grease
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by paultyler_82
Since everyone keeps asking and noone is answering, the cornering lights on our vehicles use a simple 1156 type bulb, same as the rear turn signal and back-up lights, they're availiable in about any color you could want, even LED's
Thank you, thank you. Finally lol.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Donating i30 Owner

ooooo thank you sir... appreciate it.. and also as far as cloudy lights.. u can alwas wetsand.. i did my headlights after the projector and man the wetsand makes a big diff.. its crystal clear now adn slo has a rainbowish effect in certain angles .. the casing.. nto the projector..
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 PM

maybe its just me, but foglights arnt ment for your main driving lights. they arent goin to reach out very far.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
as far as cloudy lights.. u can alwas wetsand..
That's basically what the Meguire's stuff does I think, same thing as wet sanding, it's an abrasive and a polish, and it acheives the same result, it's not very expensive either.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by paultyler_82
If you still aren't happy with the performance of your fogs, try to find the housings off of a 99 i30, they'll fit the same, and have a clear lens...
Are you saying the 99 i30 fog housing is the same as the 00 i30 fog housing? That just doesn't sound right?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by speye022
Are you saying the 99 i30 fog housing is the same as the 00 i30 fog housing? That just doesn't sound right?
Because its not right
Old 01-24-2005, 12:00 PM

Any more/better pics of HIDs with Yellow Fogs setup?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:06 PM

I'll try and post some more!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:54 AM

I was saying that the 99 fits the previous models from 96, but is clear, doesn't have that line pattern in the lens
*edit* for some reason, I thought we were talking about the 96-99's
Old 01-25-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
Any more/better pics of HIDs with Yellow Fogs setup?
These are a couple of the best I have:

Wow, I figured out how to post pics!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:19 PM

Good pics. Those are stock HIDs correct? They look good with the Yellow Fogs. Must be like 5300K or suttin. Thanks. Anybody else, maybe with pure night time pics. Still waitin on some of your 7000K+Yellow Pics too queenam.

LMAO! You sure did. Finally, it's about time!!! lolol j/k

Quick Reply: Are you satisfied with your foglights performance?