Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

The BOSE Radio Replacement Thread (infiniti i30 96-99)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by City415livin
My 96 infinti i30 was recently stolen and was recovered without rims, and the whole front console was missing. I bought a a front console from a 1998 i30 consisting of the ac controls, the CD player, and cassette player.

My question is if the console from the 98 i30 will be compatible with my 96 I30...? Please I need some help.

I noticed that the 98 had a 6 cd changer in the trunk where as my 96 doesn't. I just need the tape player or main CD player to work along with my ac controls.s
The a/c controls are different between a 96 and a 98. The 98 controls have one additional button and the electrical connector is wired differently, even though it is the same plastic connector. Do not plug it in!

The Bose radio should work fine. The 6 CD player is a separate unit and plugs into the back of the Bose radio. If you don't have it, not a problem.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I30, 2000

How close are the specs of the 1990 to the 2000? i'm interested in the Bose system as my cd player went on the blink,

Thanks,,

Rickkelly
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do you save your stations on a 98 infiniti i30 bose raido?

I have a 96 i30 with a 98 radio but I don't know how to set the stations to the preset buttons so I don't have to flip thru channels to find my favorite stations. thanks for any help.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2/3 RCA Preouts? What voltage?

Awesome thread! Thanks for all the valuable information.

I have a 1999 Infiniti I30. I want to replace the OEM deck with an aftermarket head-unit with bluetooth capabilities. I think I got most of my answers reading this thread but I am still confused about two things.

Do I buy a head-unit with:
1) 2 RCA Preamp OR 3 RCA preamp output
2) Should these Preamp outputs be 2V or 4V?

AFAIK, all the parts in the car stereo are OEM.

Last edited by aqueous; 09-17-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyc9009
I have a 96 i30 with a 98 radio but I don't know how to set the stations to the preset buttons so I don't have to flip thru channels to find my favorite stations. thanks for any help.
I hope you found the answer by now, but if you haven't, you set the presets by tuning to the station you want and then press and keep holding the button that you want that station to be on. You have to hold the button down for a few seconds. I can't remember if it beeps when the preset has been done.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For those of you replacing BOSE

I have a 1995 maxima GLE and i have had to do extensive research to figure out what he hell the noise is from my speakers. DO NOT PLUG A NEW HEAD UNIT INTO THE BOSE AMPS. Each speaker has it's own amp with the bose sytem, ion the 1995 model, not a centralized on, and this system is a low-frequency system. This means you can have the crappiest head unit in the world, and you will still blow the amps. In order for your system to work, you will need:

Scosche CNN03 Wiring Interface, containing:
-4 speaker-level inputs
-output level adjustments for all four channels

The Scosche CNN03 wiring interface allows you to integrate a high-powered aftermarket receiver into select 1994-up Nissan and Infiniti vehicles with premium factory systems. The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Nissan-specific harness. The OEA-4 unit has output-level gain controls for each of its four channels which can be adjusted to properly match the new receiver to the factory amplifier.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I probably connected wrong but is the power antenna suppose to work like normal as in when deck is on the antenna rises or is that function lost due to using a aftermarket deck
Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 PM

On just about all aftermarket head units, the antenna will extend whenever the head unit is turned on, regardless of what feature/function you are using and lower when you turn it off.

If the antenna isn't rising or it never goes down, then you probably wired it wrong.

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where do i find OEM replacement subs?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:06 PM

Bose uses unique 1 ohm speakers, so you either get one from a dealer or the junk yard. Bose themselves don't sell them. They unique, made by the auto manufacturer under a license from Bose. In the case of the Nissan, they subcontracted it to Clarion.

What year is your car? If it is 2000 to 2004, it may be the relay in the amplifier that keeps the sub from working.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

I have one question. Keep in mind my 96 i30 is my daily so I'm trying to save costs where I can. I want to add a 10" single sub on a mono amp to go with the factory Bose system--nothing else. However, with regular speakers i would be able to just tap into the rear speaker wires.

Can I do the same with the Bose speakers? I see that there are several cables going into the speaker. Any help is appreciated in advance.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by carguy87
Thanks a lot for the info guys.

I have one question. Keep in mind my 96 i30 is my daily so I'm trying to save costs where I can. I want to add a 10" single sub on a mono amp to go with the factory Bose system--nothing else. However, with regular speakers i would be able to just tap into the rear speaker wires.

Can I do the same with the Bose speakers? I see that there are several cables going into the speaker. Any help is appreciated in advance.
I just recently picked up a 2000 i30t myself and have been researching options for audio upgrades. From what I have read so far, the Bose (Clarion) head unit outputs line-level signal to amplifiers that each speaker has. It appears to be that way for the sub too. That means that you should be able to tap off the line-level signal to that subwoofer and run it to your 1-channel amplifier to power your added subwoofer. You would also need to run a power cable from battery to the mono amp and also run a wire from the ignition switch to turn on that amp when you turn on ACC or the run position (or some other line that is hot in only those two settings.)

That would be the somewhat cheesy way to do it, but not the best way. The best way is to dump that hoopdie Blows head unit and get something modern and upgrade all the rest of the speakers while you are at it. That, of course, will cost more $.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Extra round black 6 pin din plug .... Help

Originally Posted by thousandoakshome
I'm trying to replace a 98 Infiniti I30 premium Bose stereo with an aftermarket headunit. After I disassembled the dash and took out the Bose stereo/AC control assembly, I realized that there's a six-pin black round cable (male cable from the infiniti side and plugs into female receptacle on the back of the Bose stereo). The after market headunit does not have this extra black round receptacle nor mention it in the instructions. What does the black round cable do and what should I do?

In fact, other than the two rectangular and one round receptacles, there's also a third rectangular receptacle on the back of the Bose stereo, but it was left empty with nothing plugged in.

Could I just ignore the black round cable and try my new headunit just with this setup: (headunit 1 rectangular receptacle <==> harness <==> 2 infiniti rectangular plugs)?

I may replace the simple harness in the above diagram with the harness that takes RCA signals for better sound quality, but this is what I have for now...

Thanks for any comments..
Did you, or any one else, find the answer? I'm in the same boat with my stepdaughters car. I've already taken the dash apart once to realize I needed the harness for the Bose HU, I would really like the next time to be the last.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:00 PM

That round six-pin connector is most likely for a cd changer which your car may or may not have.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need replacements

Good morning
well I have a 97 i30 it has a aftermarket head unit and the factory Bose speakers. But my 2 rear deck led speakers are going through some things. And I want to replace them. I dont want to change from the Bose sound. Do you have any good recommendations on a speaker choice to replace them?
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mendize KNight
Good morning
well I have a 97 i30 it has a aftermarket head unit and the factory Bose speakers. But my 2 rear deck led speakers are going through some things. And I want to replace them. I dont want to change from the Bose sound. Do you have any good recommendations on a speaker choice to replace them?
The Bose speakers used in your system were 1 ohm speakers. It is highly unlikely that you will find 1 ohm replacement speakers. There are a great many 4 ohm choices, and maybe a small selection of 2 ohm speakers that will fit....but using those will result in a greatly lessened performance. A 2 ohm speaker will operate at half the wattage as the factory 1 ohm speakers, and the 4 ohm speakers will operate at 1/4 the power.

Other than getting some factory replacements from the junkyard, your options may force you to replace the head unit if you want to get better sound.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM

When you replace the Bose head unit with an aftermarket radio, you also have to install a line level adaptor to reduce the power output going to the Bose speakers. If the Bose speakers are going bad, you could replace them with normal after market speakers. You have to remove the line level adaptor so that the speakers will get the appropriate power. However, there is a catch. You will have to run new wires between the headunit and the speakers because of the higher wattage level used by aftermarket stereos.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All I want to know is what color are the Bose speaker wires in 97 infinity i30 so I can cut harness an run the wires myself