Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

New Here & Considering Infiniti I35

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:57 PM

New Here & Considering Infiniti I35

Hello, I stumbled across this forum doing research on the 2004 I35. I have a chance to buy a very nice low mileage unit and was wondering if it is worth it to buy one? What I mean in that is are these good cars or should I just avoid them. From what I have searched and the same gen Maxima is that the reliability can be iffy.

However, some of the source rate cars like the 2004 Honda Accord or Acura TL higher than these cars considering the biggest "supposed" complaint with them is automatic transmission issues.

That being said let me see if I can get some clarification, the biggest issues with these cars is the coil packs, MAF, valve cover gaskets, and catalytic converter issues? Also, is the transmission a problem? Anything else I need to be looking for? The unit I'm looking at has only around 40k miles and one owner. The car is from the south so no rust.

If everything checks out would you spend 5k-6k for one a clean one owner 2004 I35? Just looking for feedback before I just that type of coin for a car. I've been looking at other cars but, my now deceased Aunt has a 99 Altima with 260k miles on it that still runs and is tired.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Wow 50 views on this thread and no one has said a word. No wonder this forum isn't worth a **** anymore.

I think the i35 is a great car and I've owned 165K '03 for over a year now. I've needed to replace the cam shaft position sensors and the battery. The stereo's can be flaky and after some time will will become inoperable. The transmission is starting to become clunky when I shift from park to drive. when this one dies I'll probably look for another with lower miles.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Dudes, the I forum is a little slow, probably should have tried the main 5th gen forum for more responses. In addition, I've found that the members of this forum usually chime in when help is needed, but are less inclined to provide purchase advice as it's ultimately the buyers decision.

+1, on the fact that the I35 is a great car. An '04 with that few miles is probably worth between $5K -$6K as per KBB, but probably not worth that on the street depending on where you live. If it were me, I'd pay around $5K for something that sweet with low miles, but only because I'm an enthusiast and love these cars.

I have an '02 GLE with 107K on the clock, and it runs well. I've done a fair amount of work (tires, brakes, all suspension, cvs, entire exhaust, radiator, plugs, coils, gaskets, water pipes, and entertainment system), but only due to age and preference, not failure. I've actually only had two parts fail on me, and that was the Radiator and muffler. The transmissions in these cars are bullet proof if you take care of them and change the fluid religiously. I change mine every 12 months, but that's just me; the manual recommends 24 months I think.

Ultimately, if you decide to buy, I think you'll be pleased. You should however be prepared for the fact that you are still dealing with a 13 year old car that may need work due to age. Just remember, that if things do go wrong, the forum is here to help. We do it for the love of the game!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new here and recently acquired an 01 I30t with 68k miles on it. These cars are pretty solid except what was mentioned above. Not many choices out there for a 5k car. You found a score with the low mileage. This is my back up car and will eventually be used for my daughter to learn how to drive and then it's hers. Write the check and buy it. Throw a couple of bucks into it and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Hello and thank you all for the replies. I missed out on this one but, still looking and now considering a Maxima as well. Sorry for my late reply but, been busy with life and got sidetracked.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by usaf2000
Hello and thank you all for the replies. I missed out on this one but, still looking and now considering a Maxima as well. Sorry for my late reply but, been busy with life and got sidetracked.
These are great cars if you are mechanically inclined. I love mine paid cash for it and had to put a little bit of work into it. But overall very reliable but if you do buy one be sure to purchase a scan tool because u will need it lol. Also the oil level has to be checked religiously on these cars or else u will risk loosing the engine. I have to add a quart between oil changes/ sometimes i go 8k without oil changes. But overall a good car if you watch the oil level.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Location: New Orleans, LA - Where you can find rock damage on 99% of the windshields!!
Don’t fear an Infiniti...

I bought a 2003 I35 back in 2007 with 78,000 miles on it from the original owner. I’m still driving this car!! It now has a whopping 278,643 miles on it!! I can’t complain about this car - - except replacing the alternator about 7-8 times! I’ve had to replace the struts after a couple of years and then the entire front end 2 years ago but when you live in Louisiana and drive through the Big Easy, well potholes and old city streets just aren’t nice to your car!! It has always loved oil and even more so lately!! Other than normal replacement parts like speed sensor, camshaft, TPS, VIAS solenoid, starter, etc, I believe this has been a solid car for me and I would recommend others to seriously consider purchasing also, especially one in mint condition like you have found!!
I’m a woman and I don’t know much about cars and how to fix or troubleshoot problems! It’s a solid, well built car - no rattling as you drive down the road, no bouncing up and down, it stays on the road, quiet, and to this day when I drive around 55 mph and I check my estimated mileage it reads between 40-46 miles per gallon!!
My biggest regret of all is not trading or selling mine for another infiniti BEFORE accumulating these miles I have now!! If anyone has a great deal or happens to know of one, send me some info cuz I’m soooo scared to even take my car very far anymore!! I’m just trying to milk my car to the very end of its days cuz I’m so afraid to get another car note at this time in my life! I’m in a damned if I do and damned if I don’t situation now and it’s no fun to just drive to where you HAVE to go rather than where you WANT to go!!

Anyways, best of luck to you with whatever decision you make! Just don’t be afraid of an Infiniti!!