Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Hi, everyone, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, everyone, need help please

My daughters Infiniti I35 2002 as a control arm problem, there's a side way movement where's the red circle. Should there be a bearing, bushing or is it welded and the weld broke?
Is the movement from up and down across where the bushing is (in a circle motion) then where's the red circle the weld Broke?
Any help is appreciated, would like to tackle that tomorrow, would love to know in advance.
Thanks all for your help.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM

the section in red should not move, so the control arm will have to be replaced.

I am not sure of what you mean by the note in yellow, but there shouldn't be any movement in the bushing. Since the piece on the control arm is moving then I would expect the end going into the bushing would also move.

But since the control arm piece is loose and moving, it may have caused wear in the metal sleeve that is in the bushing. That means there is a good possibility that the bushing will also have to be replaced.

Are you a do-it-yourselfer or are you going to take it to a shop?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes I do it my self.
The movement side ways where the red mark is shouldn't move in anyway(side or circle) if I understand, if that is the case, I could weld where the red mark is?
the yellow is where the movement is done in circular motion as suspension goes up and down, there's a bushing in there.
I wasn't sure if should have been any movement with the suspension where the red mark is.

Last edited by Poveiro; 07-27-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 PM

You can probably weld the red spot if the metal is thick enough. I do not know how to weld so I have never done that. But you will probably not get the piece welded in the same exact spot that the factory had it, so you should get a wheel alignment done so the tire does not wear unevenly.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is this a recall for the problem above??

DennisMik Thanks for your help.
I have been doing the oil pan and replacing the alternator on my daughters I35 2002 and had intentions of welding the control arm, but after a search on the net I came to what I believe maybe a recall.
I also would like to pass the knowledge that to replace the alternator a youtube video says not to remove the alternator belt tensioner, I find it much easier and simple to remove it and less trouble some, as the tensioner is on the way of the nut that holds it, just loosing the tensioner its not enough.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2002/I...2520DR#recalls
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0

Last edited by Poveiro; 08-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM

It does appear that there is a recall on the control arms. It sounds exactly like the problem you have. Get the VIN number from the car and call (or stop by) an Infinity dealer. Sometimes dealers do not co-operate and use excuses. A recall is good for 15 years I think and you car is just about there.

Maybe you should call Infiniti first. tell them you are asking about the NHTSA Campaign Number: 02V146000. Their phone # is 1-800-662-6200

When I replaced an alternator, I would take the radiator out. That makes lots of room to take the air conditioning compressor off and you don't have to work from under the car. If it is not too much extra work, I always take extra things off so I don't have to work around them.

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-06-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm in Canada, different ball game.
Went to the Infiniti dealer and they told that the recall had been done.
What I believe is that unfortunately this recalls, the dealers just look at it and if its good at the moment they call it done.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 PM

We get the same run-around here in the states, too. If there is another dealer close to you, try them. That's what we do. But it is possible that the first dealer did actually check and found that the recall was done.