Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

MN Hastings - 2002 Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hastings - 2002 Maxima SE

Price - $600
Year, make, model, and trim of car. - 2002 Maxima SE, VQ 3.5
Color (interior and exterior) - Silver with tan cloth interior
Mileage - around 169k
Transmission - auto

We're the second owners, first owner was an exec friend in St. Paul, was her daily until we bought it. Interior is almost mint, never been a family car so back seats rarely used. Looks great at 50 feet.

Good: New 225/50R-17 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 XL tires in Dec 2018 on stock wheels - only ran them <10k for one winter/summer, car has been mostly sitting for past year;
New radiator, OEM core support and OEM center motor mount in summer 2018 to repair failed radiator and rusted core support;
New plugs, front sway bar links, driver side rear caliper @ 150k miles (10/10/16)
AC blows cold

Bad: rust above rear wheels and frame (jack points pretty crunchy); Fairly loud front and rear bearing noise; Muffler rusted out so sawed off after resonator; left rear tire leaks and needs to be re-beaded; registration currently expired. - update: renewed registration

Fun car, been using Mobil High Mileage syn blend and it doesn't consume much oil for the mileage but we have one too many cars at the moment and my wife says either I or the Maxima have to go (sorry Maxima). I was thinking of just scrapping her due to the rust maybe becoming a safety issue but feel I owe this site to list it in case someone wants it for parts or interior swap.

underside rust pics - had my son take some pics of the worst spots. Floorboards must have been undercoated since they are solid.

rear passenger

rear passenger

rear passenger

passenger pinch weld

passenger pinch weld

driver rear

driver rear

driver rear

Last edited by clarsmn; 08-22-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am very interested. Are you able to get me a few frame pictures and underhood, interior?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

added rust pics above, post getting long up there so adding interior pics here. My son (who drove it most) said there is a coffee stain on the tunnel somewhere (he said FYI if you're looking at an interior swap or something) the rest is fairly mint, never smoked in, no kids in it.

power driver seat, I don't recall if passenger seat is power also

Factory head unit died long ago, PO had Kenwood with Aux input installed, even has a remote control (not sure if we ever tried the remote)

Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

And lastly some underhood shots - had the power steering line replaced 5-10k miles ago (aluminum foil covered one back left in several pics) I recall my mechanic saying that was a royal pain to do. I couldn't get a good shot of it but there is a bit of oil weeping from what appears to be the valve cover in front.
Hood doesn't stay up very well, I'll throw in the piece of quarter round trim we've been using to prevent head injuries when it decides to close.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Couple quick questions, I might have missed:

Does it have working Ac and Heat?
How long does the tire take to leak out?
I assume its pretty loud due to no muffler?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I aired it up last night to 30 and it lost about 5 psi in about 12 hours. AC was blowing cold when I fired it up in the 93 degree sun.
Heat was working well when it was my son's daily, we flushed it good before replacing the radiator.
Still has the huge OEM resonator in it so its not overly loud but has a drone right around 60-65 mph that'll drive you nuts. My son drove it for a few months like this, we could hear him coming a few houses away but not so loud the neighbors complained or anything if that helps.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by clarsmn
I aired it up last night to 30 and it lost about 5 psi in about 12 hours. AC was blowing cold when I fired it up in the 93 degree sun.
Heat was working well when it was my son's daily, we flushed it good before replacing the radiator.
Still has the huge OEM resonator in it so its not overly loud but has a drone right around 60-65 mph that'll drive you nuts. My son drove it for a few months like this, we could hear him coming a few houses away but not so loud the neighbors complained or anything if that helps.
could I drive it out of state? Looking for a good parts vehicle but would need to drive it home.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pm’d you
Old 07-15-2020, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to get it, can we arrange a meeting this weekend?
Old 08-22-2020, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If anyone is still interested here please LMK. Been sitting for a year, starts/runs good but can't be sure it would make it from twin cities area to IA or MT. I'm going to list it on CL as well.