Maxus Archives Discussions From Past Maxus Meets

4th gen rear beam bending at Maxus

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

4th gen rear beam bending at Maxus

I've been talking thru PMs to a guy on SR20forum.com (98sr20ve is his user name there) about having him come down to Maxus for rear beam bending.

For those that don't know what this is it's a process where the rear beam is bent slightly so that the Toe is set to 0. This helps reduce understeer and many regard it as a great suspension mod, especially for the cost.

The cost of this is yet to be determined but the prices I've seen range from $150~$200 for the bending and checking the alignment specs. It takes about an hour per car, time depends on other factors as well.

Two problems with this is that he needs a MINIMUM of 6 people to sign up for this and he needs a suitable place where he can perform this work. Another issue is when we can fit this in on that weekend, I want to say on June 2 but im not sure.

Anyways im just throwing it out there to see if we can get enough interesting going.

Edit: This is only doable on 4th gens. This guy has yet to fab up a 5th gen bracket.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:00 PM
wat

Can he bend the rear beam on the Q45..?.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
SomePsychoGuy

I am VERY interested in this.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm new to the site and all these terms...what is rear beam bending?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM
SomePsychoGuy

http://f.maxima.org/showthread.php?t...light=beam+toe
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=44778
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/.../westend.shtml

It makes the car handle a lot better, and is very hard to find someone to do it since only 2 places/people in the country know how to do it properly. I definitely hope this happens.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
VK56 Inside

Does this have any affect on tire wear? If so is that correctable?

If this doesnt toast my tires I will be down.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Dubbya
Does this have any affect on tire wear? If so is that correctable?

If this doesnt toast my tires I will be down.
Nope no effect on tire wear, if anything it reduces rear tire wear. Stock toe is pointing in slightly like this / \ after the correction they are like this | | .
Old 02-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

This guy needs someone local where he can ship his equipment to and he also needs a place where the work can be performed. To pad our numbers he recomended getting the Dallas Sentra guys in on this, to make it worth his while. Also now that we have possibly three people we should pick a date when to do this, I would like June 2nd but that maybe to early.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 AM
STFU n00b!

I would recommend june 2nd since the track day is on the 3rd.

I'll make a call to Alamo and see if they would be willing to help out with that.
I'll also talk to the guys at Trophy as the guy that's now in charge of the show there is a HUGE performance guy and has done lots of stuff to 350s and G35s.. we might be able to steal a spot in their shop for the day, but I wouldn't put money on that yet.

What type of garage space is the guy going to need? 2-post lift? 4-post drive-on lift? none? alignment rack?

when nissanforums comes back up, I'll post some info about it on the DNE forum as well as the suspension forum.. I'm sure we can drum up some more interest that way. I'll redirect them to this thread to keep it all in one place.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I would recommend june 2nd since the track day is on the 3rd.

I'll make a call to Alamo and see if they would be willing to help out with that.
I'll also talk to the guys at Trophy as the guy that's now in charge of the show there is a HUGE performance guy and has done lots of stuff to 350s and G35s.. we might be able to steal a spot in their shop for the day, but I wouldn't put money on that yet.

What type of garage space is the guy going to need? 2-post lift? 4-post drive-on lift? none? alignment rack?

when nissanforums comes back up, I'll post some info about it on the DNE forum as well as the suspension forum.. I'm sure we can drum up some more interest that way. I'll redirect them to this thread to keep it all in one place.
This guy just needs a spot, hes done this in parking lots of hotels before... So nothing major is needed, just a spot where we won't get yelled at for working on cars.

However I would like to accomidate him with a nice spot and make it a nice experience dealing with Maxima.org. Also if hes got time Id like a 5th gen person to show in hope he can take measurements and make a bracket for 5th gens.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:58 AM
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Nope no effect on tire wear, if anything it reduces rear tire wear. Stock toe is pointing in slightly like this / \ after the correction they are like this | | .
Count me in then.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Boosted Panda

Since the Dyno is taking place at the actual meet, why not consider doing the dyno on one side, with the car show placed right in the middle. and this on the other.
This would gaurantee a larger turnout at the meet.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Yeah. I would prefer to have this before the track, but I realize that it might be harder for some people to take another day off of work to get there that early.

I would hope anyone who goes to this would go to the carshow as long as they are not at the same time. That was probably the biggest event at Maxus last year. There might also be a few people who want to be in the carshow and IDK if you would be able to bend the rear beam in the middle of it.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by SPiG
There might also be a few people who want to be in the carshow and IDK if you would be able to bend the rear beam in the middle of it.

Your right, didnt think about that.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Since the Dyno is taking place at the actual meet, why not consider doing the dyno on one side, with the car show placed right in the middle. and this on the other.
This would gaurantee a larger turnout at the meet.
IIRC they charged vendors to be at the mall lot last year, if they are gonna charge this guy he won't bother showing.

I don't know, this doesn't look to promising...
Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 AM
STFU n00b!

No, they didn't charge us as vendors last year. I had initially set it up that way to help Trophy offset the costs of the event since it was a ton of advertising for each vendor anyway, but Trophy told us not to bother and just to show up.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is a shop in Dallas that does this and did it on my 5th gen. I don't remember what they charge.
Dallas Frame and Alignment near Speed Zone. and they can get lowered cars on their equipment.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
STFU n00b!

you guys want some B14s as well on the list? I know of several here in the Houston area that want it done.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by LatinMax
There is a shop in Dallas that does this and did it on my 5th gen. I don't remember what they charge.
Dallas Frame and Alignment near Speed Zone. and they can get lowered cars on their equipment.
Ok thats good to know.

I haven't had a chance to talk to this Sentra guy in a while but if this place is willing to do something for us, why not? If you can give them a call and see if they would give us special pricing or setup something for us.

If they can I would want to setup something for Friday then we can goto Speed Zone afterwards.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:42 PM

when is this happening for i know i want to get in on this.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by LIUSPEED
when is this happening for i know i want to get in on this.
I really want this on Friday so we can use this mod on Saturday's road course event.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
STFU n00b!

Liu, let's confirm if the guy's actually coming and if he's going to have time for you lowly B14s first.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

So is there any location that will have this guy?

Seems like we will meet the minimum 6 cars easily now, but we need to get a confirmed location and someone local to ship the equipment in.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:58 PM

I can ask my body shop guy if he will offer his place. He may charge a small fee...but I don't know I can ask.
Let me know.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Kevlo for President

SO what's the word?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I Broke OT

interested. also interested in price. i'm curious how big a difference this will make. obviously it seems like it would really help, but can anyone speak from experience? does it make a noticeable difference?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Hmmm...
drive to TX. for this??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
Hmmm...
drive to TX. for this??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Charlotte crew is rolling out @ 3am Thursday morning. Feel free to join us.

The beam guy take take the measurments from my car if he still needs a A33 donor for such.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

There is still no word on this everyone. Looks like we can either have that guy come down from Colorado or have the local shop in Dallas that LatinMax mentioned.

Problem is alot of people want this done and there is only so much time. Maybe we can have both?? The guy from Colorado can work on the 4th gens and the shop techs can do the 5th gens.

From what I've heard it takes about an hour to get it done, so maybe this is a better way? Also we still haven't hammered out a date yet either. Im set on Friday but Im open to other suggestions.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Both Friday and Sat night we will be having events near or at my friends body shop.
Friday night is the Speed Zone thing and that is about 2 blocks from the shop.
Saturday night we have the clean and detail thing going on at the shop.
Either one of those day could be done and around the same area's.

But someone has to make a choice.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Conecarver

Man, I really wish this was closer. I almost want to ship a spare beam down there to get in on this.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM

for you east coasters, he is going to be at the SE-R convention doing it also
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=151188
Old 04-12-2006, 05:02 PM
SomePsychoGuy

It doesn't matter when it is to me. Just as long as it will happen. I will make arrangements. I want to go to Speed Zone, but besides that I don't care. It would be kind of nice if it were before the track, but if not I don't think it will be a big deal.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Still no word?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by SPiG
Still no word?
We have to decide on a date and get a list of people who want this done.

If it's ok Id like to have it done Saturday night cause everyone wants to goto Speed Zone on Friday. Id rather have it on Friday so we can use it on the track but I would think everyone is going to want to do Speed Zone.

Also it would be nice to get some local help on this, I don't know the shop so it would be weird if I was to call them up...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
SomePsychoGuy

If we are not going to have it done before the Track meet, if it goes down, then why not have it at the meet on sunday or during the clean and detail thing? That way we already have a location. I can leave my car somewhere while I am at speed zone so that is not a big deal either. I will be getting there Thursday night, so doing it Friday during the day is also an option. The only real restriction for me is that it can't be done during the road course saturday. I would kind of prefer it to be before, but then again I would have to relearn how my car handles after the mod overnight so doing it after is by no means the end of the world. I say we get this finalized b/c I want this done one way or another even if I have to go the place Latinmax had it done sometime by myself when I am up there.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Conecarver

FYI, according to the SR20 board Steve wasn't crazy about taking time away from the upcoming SE-R convention to do any work while up here (assuming he can make that)
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=181359

This might be good news as it might provide some extra vehicles during early June to combine with our effort. I haven't contacted him but maybe we should start counting who's interested?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
FYI, according to the SR20 board Steve wasn't crazy about taking time away from the upcoming SE-R convention to do any work while up here (assuming he can make that)
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=181359

This might be good news as it might provide some extra vehicles during early June to combine with our effort. I haven't contacted him but maybe we should start counting who's interested?
I tried getting enough people in 2006 for Maxus, but it fell through.

Regardless Steve needs 5~6 people confirmed with cash paid up front usually weeks in advance. That kind of dedication you will not find on this forum, ever...

I drove from Massachusetts to Virgina Beach this past thanksgiving to have this done at his parent's house. He came back to VA for the holidays and decided to have a beam bending party. I had to pay in full first week of October, so it takes some time and dedication to get this done
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 AM
STFU n00b!

Joe,

how'd it turn out then? like the results?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Joe,

how'd it turn out then? like the results?
After several attempts Steve got the beam bent on my car. It took like 6 bends to get it. When it was done he measured 32th of an inch towed in, which is pretty much 0 toe. I wanted it at 0 toe but if he bent it one more time it would of been towed out a little.

After a little test drive I was happy he left it where it was. The car has a more neutral feeling on corners and if you give the steering wheel a little Scandinavian flick it will induce oversteer. It now feels like all four wheels are working together in unison, as opposed to the front wheels just screaming murder on hard corners while the rear tires are laughing at you.

Quick Reply: 4th gen rear beam bending at Maxus