Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

Tatanko's New Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Bacon Lover

Tatanko's New Maxima

So I got a new Maxima yesterday. '98 sterling mist SE 5-speed with gray cloth. Loving every minute of it. Car is very clean other than 3 items that will be taken care of at a body shop sometime this month. It's actually Drivin Maxima's car, purchased it from him yesterday.

Car has adjustable shocks, lowering springs, RSB, FSTB, RSTB, red/clear tails, clear corners, J30 front brakes, etc. etc. It will get projector headlights (probably TL's), a new shift boot and ****, a sub and amp, and a new exhaust tip within the month probably. It's INCREDIBLY dirty from all the driving it had to go through yesterday to journey from Philly to State College, but here are a few pictures anyway. More to come when I have the chance to clean it up a bit and find some good scenery.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 AM

Looks really clean, congrats on the pickup! How many miles are on it?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Bacon Lover

122,xxx...and I don't care one bit. This car is CLEAN.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 AM

nice upgrade
Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Got Retrofit?

What a clean Max. Congrats.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 AM

You doing the retro your self man? If so let me know what you are going to use as far as shrouds. I am trying to source everything for my tl's i have here. O yea i still have led tail boards lol.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:53 AM

damn u lucky...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
nice upgrade
Certainly. The 5-speed is so much fun
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
What a clean Max. Congrats.
Thanks. Wait until you see it a month from now
Originally Posted by kzoosho
You doing the retro your self man? If so let me know what you are going to use as far as shrouds. I am trying to source everything for my tl's i have here. O yea i still have led tail boards lol.
I don't know if I'm going to do it myself yet or not. Depends on how much free time I have I guess. I would love some LED tails, though! I don't want any downtime on the car, though, nor do I have the talent to put them in myself. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk
Originally Posted by khantalha
damn u lucky...
Thanks. I love her!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Turbo'd Saab

okay so now 00vi and turbo....

JK I love sterling mist, you should black everything out
Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
okay so now 00vi and turbo....

JK I love sterling mist, you should black everything out
Might do AE-style stuff up front, but that's about it. It will get go-fast goodies in the spring, no sense in putting them on now.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrats man
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Nice, except for that exhaust tip.
That thing sticks out soo far.. someone can trip on it or even burn their shin.

Overall very nice upgrade.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Nice tip.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 PM

congrats on the maxima. clean ride minus the exhaust tip
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Bacon Lover

Guys, guys...I KNOW about the exhaust tip :haha:

It's getting replaced as soon as I find a suitable replacement. Somebody help Uncle Tatanko find a 9" long clamp-on exhaust tip that would look good (the actual outlet of the muffler is 3" in case anyone wants to know...but the outlet of the tip is bigger than 3" obviously).

Last edited by Tatanko; 11-02-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 PM

1) Cattman muffler
2) B&M
3) SFCs
4) retro

Fawking profit.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Another sterling mist maxima!
Very very clean! I am happy for you
I haven't really AE'd anything. Just wasn't enough pictures on the org with people with AE'd sterling mist maximas. So I guess I'll secretly use you as a guinea pig to see how your mods (visual) come out.

(could you PM me who you're going to ask to retro? The guy you suggested never replied back)
Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
1) Cattman muffler
2) B&M
3) SFCs
4) retro

Fawking profit.
1. Car already has a GREAT exhaust on it, just needs a different tip (and this one is just clamped on...so a new one can go on the second I get it).
2. One was included with the purchase, just need to find the time to put it on.
3. I'll get those when I exceed the handling capabilities of a Maxima that has everything else except the SFCs
4. Retro is very high up on the list and will get done immediately.
Originally Posted by riceyasian86
Another sterling mist maxima!
Very very clean! I am happy for you
I haven't really AE'd anything. Just wasn't enough pictures on the org with people with AE'd sterling mist maximas. So I guess I'll secretly use you as a guinea pig to see how your mods (visual) come out.

(could you PM me who you're going to ask to retro? The guy you suggested never replied back)
PM kzoosho, the guy who replied above.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Dude I glad you found the interior that you were looking for
Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
1. Car already has a GREAT exhaust on it, just needs a different tip (and this one is just clamped on...so a new one can go on the second I get it).
No equal length y pipe no care.

3. I'll get those when I exceed the handling capabilities of a Maxima that has everything else except the SFCs
noobsauce. Anything above stock suspension exceeds the capabilities of the stock chassis. Don't disappoint me here.

4. Retro is very high up on the list and will get done immediately
Figures... make sure you get the right version of TLs. I almost want to redo my retro with "real" TLs because the old ones are the crappy version.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Schnell kaputt

Didn't expect you to stick with another A32. Looks good
Old 11-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Very nice son.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Bacon Lover

No equal length y pipe no care.
I will get one eventually. The way it sounds is already great, hell it's better than my old one and I had not yet heard anything better. This is a one-off done by a certain community vendor that he'll never reproduce either, but it's factory-quality. It's good stuff!

noobsauce. Anything above stock suspension exceeds the capabilities of the stock chassis. Don't disappoint me here.
I know...I just want to push this setup to the limit first THEN do SFCs...I'll appreciate them more that way.
Figures... make sure you get the right version of TLs. I almost want to redo my retro with "real" TLs because the old ones are the crappy version.
Ahh yes. I will be sure to do so. I'd love it if we could fit LS430's with the extra reflector bowl
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Ahh yes. I will be sure to do so. I'd love it if we could fit LS430's with the extra reflector bowl
I know, right? I saw haknslash's LS430'd scooby (IIRC?) on HIDplanet a few months ago, thing is

Back when I had moneys I was looking into doing a dual retro (quad projectors) with R34s, possibly LS430s and a good bixenon inner projector (FX, etc) and maybe some adjustable ballasts, etc... decided I had "fixed" the lighting problems of the max and that money could go a long way in other directions.

Why'd you decide on a max over other cars anyway?

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 11-02-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:53 PM

I know...I just want to push this setup to the limit first THEN do SFCs...I'll appreciate them more that way.
Eh. What kind of struts and springs are on there? I noticed a huge difference and I just had Progress (and blown konis).
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Bacon Lover

I definitely don't think dual retros is worth it...ever haha. It just seems like there's no real point and the only people you end up impressing are the nerds over at HIDPlanet who get off to cutoff pictures

I chose another Max because everything I test drove in my price range was either too expensive to maintain or disappointed me. Drove a GTI and hated the interior. Drove a Trans Am and couldn't stand anything about it and it didn't impress me with the power either (it was an auto). The Max just seemed to fit until I start making enough money to get myself out of this price range.

It's lowered on Progress springs and Illuminas. Also has RSB, FSTB, and RSTB. It's not bad

Last edited by Tatanko; 11-02-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM

I definitely don't think dual retros is worth it...ever haha. It just seems like there's no real point and the only people you end up impressing are the nerds over at HIDPlanet who get off to cutoff pictures
True for the most part, but I can't say I'd mind having a set.

I chose another Max because everything I test drove in my price range was either too expensive to maintain or disappointed me. Drove a GTI and hated the interior. Drove a Trans Am and couldn't stand anything about it and it didn't impress me with the power either (it was an auto). The Max just seemed to fit until I start making enough money to get myself out of this price range.
That's how it goes...

Surprised a T/A didn't impress you though. LT1 auto? The LS1 would be the cure...

It's lowered on Progress springs and Illuminas. Also has RSB, FSTB, and RSTB. It's not bad
You have no excuse not to do SFCs. Like I said, I noticed the difference instantly and took the car on an hour drive because I was so impressed. You won't regret it.

Now with Konis and GCs I can only imagine how horrible my car would be without them.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Bacon Lover

True for the most part, but I can't say I'd mind having a set.

That's how it goes...

Surprised a T/A didn't impress you though. LT1 auto? The LS1 would be the cure...

You have no excuse not to do SFCs. Like I said, I noticed the difference instantly and took the car on an hour drive because I was so impressed. You won't regret it.

Now with Konis and GCs I can only imagine how horrible my car would be without them.
The Trans Am was a '98, so it was definitely an LS1 car. I guess it KIND of impressed me a little above, say, 70 MPH. From low speeds it didn't feel fast at all though

I am already liking having a car setup the way this is immensely. Maybe I'll pick up some Stage 1's in the spring since they're so cheap Do you have Stage 1 or 2?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM

The Trans Am was a '98, so it was definitely an LS1 car. I guess it KIND of impressed me a little above, say, 70 MPH. From low speeds it didn't feel fast at all though
Weird. It was quite awhile ago but when I rode in an LT1 6 speed that thing flew, even on the highway (and LT1s have no top end).

I am already liking having a car setup the way this is immensely. Maybe I'll pick up some Stage 1's in the spring since they're so cheap Do you have Stage 1 or 2?
I've got the TMS 4-point without cross bracing. I'm a perpetually poor college student, so I've cut costs where I can. I will probably wind up getting cross bracing eventually as well as fender bars if it's all still available.

Unfortunately I've found that even with endless suspension upgrades the car will never handle as well as other stock cars, although with the right tweaks it can come close.

My car handles very nicely as is, I was taking my friend (E46 owner) down a popular mountain road doing 100+(kmh of course ), he also regularly rides an 07 600RR down that road and he was pretty impressed.

That being said it still pushes a lot around low speed corners.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 11-02-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Bacon Lover

That being said it still pushes a lot around low speed corners.
I noticed that as well. When I first drove the car I was like ok all this suspension work and it doesn't seem to have made a difference (because I was driving slow) then I sped it up around some corners and was like OOOOHHH haha.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Turbo'd Saab

put some 22s on it yo...that would be mad jDm tYtE yo
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM

omg dude your a hypocrite lol! u demodded your 95 so u can use it for more pleasant daily driving. then u bought a talon....what ever happened to that? did you sell it? and what about your 95 max? anyways, nice upgrade, very jealous of the 5 spd!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
put some 22s on it yo...that would be mad jDm tYtE yo
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Can I have your suspension? that's exactly what i want...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by G4nismo
omg dude your a hypocrite lol! u demodded your 95 so u can use it for more pleasant daily driving. then u bought a talon....what ever happened to that? did you sell it? and what about your 95 max? anyways, nice upgrade, very jealous of the 5 spd!!!!
Yeah I quickly grew bored of an exhaust-only auto 4th gen. Don't get me wrong, I still loved to drive it, it was still worlds better than driving my mom's Sebring, for example :haha: I was in the process of trying to sell it when I hit a patch of sand on the road left by dump trucks coming around a turn and did a 180 off the road into the side of a barn after some ridiculous fishtailing. Needless to say it was totalled. Wasn't able to get anything off of it, either. So...2 and a half weeks later I remembered a car I had thought of buying before I wrecked my '95 and 3 days later I owned it The Talon I sold back at the beginning of October to a guy from NY because I didn't have any more room to keep it. Then a week later is when I totalled the Max :angry:

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Can I have your suspension? that's exactly what i want...
I really do love it. It's a bit stiffer than OEM SE suspension, but it's still very livable and the roads around here aren't bad. I'd like it if it were a little lower because I think it would look better (maybe another half an inch), but as it is I'm still getting used to having a lowered car and don't want to scrape it. So it's a good compromise between ground clearance and looks.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by G4nismo
HAHA your jealous you have suprastick...just get paddle shifters.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM

I noticed that as well. When I first drove the car I was like ok all this suspension work and it doesn't seem to have made a difference (because I was driving slow) then I sped it up around some corners and was like OOOOHHH haha.
yeah I was leaving a 350z (who was passing people left and right) in the dust pretty bad up the aforementioned road. Given, if he really wanted to (or had the *****/skill) he could have kept up but the car is just so much fun now...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM

I really do love it. It's a bit stiffer than OEM SE suspension, but it's still very livable and the roads around here aren't bad. I'd like it if it were a little lower because I think it would look better (maybe another half an inch), but as it is I'm still getting used to having a lowered car and don't want to scrape it. So it's a good compromise between ground clearance and looks.
SFCs
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Bacon Lover

SFCs
Do those make the chassis creak at all? That reminds me, I need to do something about the squeaky RSB bushings.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM

Do those make the chassis creak at all? That reminds me, I need to do something about the squeaky RSB bushings.
quite the opposite.

You'll notice less creaking inside the car because the chassis will be flexing less.

Quick Reply: Tatanko's New Maxima