Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

Aackshun Revives His AR2 99 Maxima SE-L

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Aackshun Revives His AR2 99 Maxima SE-L

The thread you've been waiting for?

But definitely lacking in the gross details. Probably better to just ask questions then me trying to spill EVERYTHING that's going on with this car because it's a whole lot of mess and 10 years of indecisions.

-Me at No Problem Raceway in November 2011 enjoying my VQ30DE's last day alive.

Since my original 200k+ mile 3.0 met it's untimely demise in 2011, I have wanted mo powah baby to continue to terrorize rwd vehicles on the road course.

This of course led to years and years of indecision on what to put back in the car. It finally came to last winter and I realized I've collected about 3 different ways to put a motor in this car.

Since my first attempt at a 3.5 swap (3.0 timing) ended with failure from jump I decided it was easier to just rewire the car to accept 3.5s ready to drop in.

When I had initially decided this, rom raider flashes were NOT a thing for 02-03 ecus and no one had figured out how to do uprev swaps yet so I was definitely not a fan of having a dead end platform in my vehicle.

Then the whispers about Nistune came around and I decided to go back to just building a 3.0 because honestly the car was decently fun and hell a tune and a dek would suffice until cams, pistons etc was the next thing.

While waiting on Nistune I had met a local who did uprev swaps for b15 Sentras, I asked him to do a harness for my 03 i35 at the time because I wanted better tuning for my 2nd gen motor swap.

I had wrecked my first i35, got a 2nd and by that time romraider tuning was a real thing, and I no longer needed to uprev swap my i35.

Then last winter came and some introspection.

I have a harness thats ready to accept 12v and some signals here and there... So I could literally vq35 swap a moped if I wanted to with this harness.......why not put it in the 99?
​​

​So after making some connections at the main fuse box and underneath the dash and with the magic of a Sentra gauge cluster.....

We have the makings of an uprev capable 99 Maxima. No BCM, no IPDM needed.
I don't think I have it in me to do a detailed installation thread but here's an overview:
-05 Altima vq35 5at engine harness (I had wanted to use this harness with a built 5at I had initially but changed my mind later on) modified in a few places for necessary inputs/outputs
-05/06 Sentra Spec-V gauge cluster (this cluster uses the old analog speed signal and puts it on the CAN network for the ecu to read)
-05 350z ECU (must use RWD ecus, if you're not going to use haltech, or you're going to have some problems fighting limp mode unless you install EGR from the newer FWD vehicles), you will need NATS deleted or a haltech.
-350z Gas Pedal, can not use 02/03 maxima, must use matching black ECU pedals with black ecu. The 350z pedal is different from the 03 maxima pedal assembly which I heard bolts in nicely, but I like the pedal being closer to the brake pedal, the 350z just needed a small spacer to allow for WOT but other than that easy install.
-BMW dual temperature coolant sensor, since I won't have an IPDM to take fan commands I have to fashion a standalone fan system. I will detail that when I actually get it running

So terrible job of explaining the work needed but it's basically the same as the 02/03 swap just need a pedal and cluster from the matching black box ECUs and to figure out.

Does it work? Idk you tell me.

​​​​​​

Seems to be working.

Anywhooooo

I was forced to moved out of my shop so I was not able to get everything done but here's a quick rundown for version 1

V1 Mods

​​​
Exterior
-CF Sunroof Delete*
-Red/smoked Taillights
-AE Mod Headlights*
-Black turn signal lights*
-350z v1 Track Wheels (I have 4x rears and 2x fronts)
-CF Hood
​​​​​​
​​​Interior:
-Sentra Gauge Cluster
-3 gauge pod, mounted in a DIN slot above a single DIN radio. Glowshift oil temp, water temp and oil pressure gauge to be installed*
-ebay 6” tall, 1lb, shift ****.

Suspension/Braking
-BC Racing Coilovers with 10k front 8k rear springs
-ES Control Arm, Sway Bar and crossmember bushings.
-All Moog front end components.
-Rotora 4 piston front brake setup
-Moog Camber Bolts
-Front Sway Bar detached

Powertrain
-4.4 Final drive, v6 geared, 6mt transmission
-217k mile vq35De from my 03.
​​​​​-Whatever clutch and stock flywheel was in this thing when I pulled it from my 03
-Aluminum front and rear motor mounts, Delrin side mounts
-Battery Relocation (trunk passenger side).
-Haltech 350z Piggyback with Dual Widebands
-Fuel lab AFPR set to 51 psi at idle
-AEM 320lph fuel pump
-z32 fuel filter
-350z injectors

Intake/Exhaust/Cooling
-Custom intake manifold made by DDPR in Sealy, TX
-3.5" intake designed by me.
-Stock 5.5gen manifolds with gutted cats to a stock y-pipe... And that's it..... Literally.
-ebay Aluminum radiator

*Currently Purchased needing to be installed

That's about it for now, after I get a handle on how the car is running right now, and some testing in, I will work towards v2, which includes fixing my IPP level 2 motor that has a stuck exhaust valve and installing some other goods that include but not limited to:
-lightweight flywheel*
-spec 6 puck sprung clutch*
-Cattman Headers with a custom equal length 2.5" to 3" y-pipe.**
-3" catback**
-​​​​​Delrin/spherical joint rear beam bushings*
-QT Link*
-Strut Tower Bars**
-Coilover rebuild**
-DEK cooling mod*
-Rear Caliper Relocation BBK and new rear calipers.**

*Currently Purchased needing to be installed
**Currently has parts but also need to buy more parts to complete said task/mod

​​
Navigation:

Version 1:
- it's aliiiiive! -you are here-
- CF Sunroof Install
- BMW coolant temp switch and SPAL fan install
- 3 pod gauge installation
- Tackling A/C

Version 2:
- The built motor is alive!!!

Last edited by aackshun; 06-02-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Lightly modded

Sweet! How did you come to the design on that intake manifold? I don't see nitrous on the list, did that get axed? I take it you've got no qualms about running the front VC vent to atmosphere? What is the DE-K cooling mod? And how would you describe the removal of the FSB? I think I'll stick with Nistune
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Sweet! How did you come to the design on that intake manifold?
-DDPR makes that back half for all of his custom manifolds. He just kept the runners, port them and flownbench it. The thread is here
I don't see nitrous on the list, did that get axed?
-Previous owner of the motor had nawz plans, I have supercharger plans.
I take it you've got no qualms about running the front VC vent to atmosphere?
- thug life
What is the DE-K cooling mod?
-cutting holes on the side of the block oil feed to allow coolant to take a re route to the crossover on the back of the motor, look at DE-Ks you'll see. RWD people call it the Pathfinder mod.
how would you describe the removal of the FSB?
-literally unbolt both sides from the end links.
​​​​​​
I think I'll stick with Nistune
If it was an option back in the day id just build a DE-K, less torque, HP doesn't quit, easy road course motor, easy super charging options.... But here I am
Old 07-03-2020, 08:15 PM

I just came in here to say.

Yes.

And also happy to see that small plenum getting boosted.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by aackshun
If it was an option back in the day id just build a DE-K, less torque, HP doesn't quit, easy road course motor, easy super charging options.... But here I am
Lol, I wasn't asking how to remove the FSB, I was asking how it feels! Considering you added a larger FSB to your 6th (?) gen, this seems to be in quite the opposite direction.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Lol, I wasn't asking how to remove the FSB, I was asking how it feels! Considering you added a larger FSB to your 6th (?) gen, this seems to be in quite the opposite direction.
Turn in ability goes up by 103937 points. Added more preload on the coils to help reduce body roll and the car would literally turn wherever you pointed it.

I would not advise driving it on the street like this because it was painfully too stiff and ready to kill me at all times.

I will see how the stiffer springs react when I get this thing on the road soon, should be fun!

Thus me going the other way around with my sifff gen, since it's a daily driver.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Oh hi. I tried to put a different map on my ancient haltech and bricked it. They (haltech) hooked me up with a newer plug and play model. The same time one of my old shops gave me a crack head price on a haltech piggyback..... So..... Viola!

the direct plug in unit is for this car.

The older piggy back model is for mah siffffff gen.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-10-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Lightly modded

Well damn, look at you getting all fancy!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:50 PM

Worked on the rear brakes today....

Welp I had issues loading it onto the trailer, brakes didn't work, so I ordered a pair of rear calipers and well too my surprise....

Back right caliper cable brake was not working, the arm would fully actuate, but not clamp on the pads.... So I replaced that whole caliper.

-Yes I know, white calipers..... Scroll to the top of the thread you'll see why I went ahead and painted them white....

I forgot to tighten the left rear caliper brake line.

Bled the brakes.....

Surprise, surprise, brakes work again, both hydraulic and cable.

-Its mah fowf and fiiif gen!

Up next are fenders and sunroof. I will give the lights another week because I reallllly want an AE mod lights again but they're sold out on ebay and amazon.... unless someone has some AE modded 4th gen lights for sale??? I'm too lazy to do them on my own again.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Lets see.....

Moved the car to avoid the hurricane, my friend's backyard was about chest deep in water last hurricane here where as my apt was dry.

I was attempting to move the car to my shop on the Haltech and for some reason the Haltech won't fire the car over, yet the stock ECU would. I was going to put in this radio I found for $35 but I can't find my DIN triple gauge pod >.<.... But I'm going to get this radio in so I have some tunes while I chase down wires and troubleshoot.

ANywho.....

Uhhhhhhhh.....

Here are my other non Maxima distractions.... (Yes besides my 3 Maximas)

-Her Kia got a strut tower bar, and that seriously delayed replacing the struts, it handles pretty close to new again. I'm going to do the rear next.

I am the owner of another G again.... But this one is purely for flipping purposes, I need to get off my but and put in a new ECU and IPDM and try my luck again with getting it running so I can sell it.

In another thread I attempted to remove the yellow glow from my 03's hood... I still have a BOX full of detailing products soooo...... I used them on a friend's Audi. He wanted to de-badge it so we did the whole trunk, including his CF lip.

Annnndddd... BACK TO THE RED CAR! Got this cool little emblem in the mail... Waiting on a paint job to install though.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 PM

Bumping with random teaser photos.... This project probably won't be done till November.... But uhhhhhhh here are some Exhaust Manifold flanges from Mazworx

Actually wait.... If you're seriously interested in some all out N/A performance headers then email me quickly.... Beacause I'm not trying to hold up getting these done I have a race on November 8th I'm trying to attend.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Header project is moving forward no photos yet. Didn't finish the car nor the headers for IFO but I inherited a certain 99 Maxima for drag racing purposes that pretty much made me kinda wanted to start fresh for the 2021 season anyways.

Now that the red car is no longer dual purpose I can just focus on it's streetability and hitting corners with it. There were a lot of sacrifices that were going to have to be made to keep it competitive in two styles if racing but just focusing on one makes my life so much easier.

​​​​​​Got my new tags for the red car today

Last edited by aackshun; 12-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Lightly modded

Patiently awaiting pics and info on these headers
Old 12-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Header materials!

Half the materials showed up today. Other half apparently Saturday for some reason.

That's all for now!
Old 03-15-2021, 10:33 PM

Been a hot minute....
update?

Figured out my haltech issue (haltech wouldn't run the car but my stock ecu would).

Soooooo after awhile..... The stock ecu said fxk it not gonna do it anymore.... And NOT throw any codes....

I took off the intake manifold and decided to see what the car was doing.... It was poorly firing the injectors.... Welp cam sensors control the injectors so let's take a look.

Swapped them out from my 08 (including the subharnesses for the rear... Remember my 99 is essentially a 2005 Altima/Maxima at this point in time)... Boom car cranks over on second try. Take a look at my original rear cam subharness, find a crack on the cam sensor plug, decided to throw on new cam and crank sensors with a replacement subharness for giggles and bam! Car runs on the stock ecu...... Plugged in haltech...... CAR RUNS!

So I was able to easily drive it up a trailer and easily back down to it's new home, where I can continue to tinker away at small things on both of my 4th gens.

​​​​​
What's missing from the ol red car?

Fans (using a bmw dual temp switch since Im not putting in an IPDM).

Wire in the speed signal still (actually it's no longer crucial because haltech works! So no limp mode after the ecu detects no speed signal).

Exhaust - decided the red car doesn't need every single hp possible (like another car in the above photo) so I'm using old cattmans and a custom y-pipe for the catfront and remaking the classic Apexi exhaust but in 3" for the catback!

Alternator needs to be plugged in

Need to replace one more coilover strut

Alignment (I put on new tie rods and boots, it's waaaaaayyyyy off).

Install new hood latches/pins

Fix the interior from the sunroof "woopsie".

Fix the brake lights and brake light switch.

Yes these all seem like small things but hey multiply this by 6x and now you have my driveway 😭

After it's running well on the old motor I'll get it painted. Then whenever the motor craps out, the built motor should be ready to go back in it.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-15-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Lightly modded

You've certainly got your work cut out for you!
Old 06-02-2021, 04:03 PM

(Ignore the mess of a 10 year old project &#129315

Ok I love doing things at the last minute... Let's see what I can pull these next 10 days before All Team Bash in Houston🤣... So far....

Compressor is in and waiting to pull a vacuum and test the lines (should be fine?) - I used a 99 compressor but I believe it's possible to use an 06 here.... One of the lines fits anyways....
2006 Alternator is in and working...
VSS has been wired into the spec-v odometer and verified working.
Finally, and all wires behind the center waterfall have been successfully wired permanently which brings me to.....

My triple meter! I have the important goods to keep my motor safe! (L to R: Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Water Temp) No stupid volt meters and mpg meters here 🤣.

I have not added the sensors under the hood but in order to finish all the wiring in the cabin I came up with this idea...

using a 4pin deutche connector I can just make a subharness for the motor at my own leisure.

I am going to run to the fabricator tomorrow and drop off my coolant log and I'll detail the BMW fan switch mod in another post, but all of those parts have arrived as well and I've just been slacking on getting it done.

Still have to fix the roof and the countless small things but it feels good not needing to touch a part of the car anymore 🥰

Last edited by aackshun; 06-02-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is my first post in many years but I'm glad Im back. Aackshun, cant wait to see what you have in store. Gets me back in the mood for a 4th Gen again.