Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

My first car, 1996 Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM

My first car, 1996 Maxima!

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/El...ow/96%20MAXIMA

Hey a little background. i am a 17 year old high school senior. Located in Long Island, NY. I literally just purchased my first ( well technically second) Maxima. Its a 1996, supposedly GLE (I believe its an SE though). 115,400 miles fully loaded. Leather seats, sunroof, 5-speed Manual, power seats and windows. I got this baby for $1600. It could use some body work and nice paint job, a nice buffing and a few minor dents need to be removed, but i really love this already. There is a little rust but their isnt any major problems as far as I can tell. Rear passenger side window doesnt work. Antenna was almost broken off then i completely took it off. i thought i would have lost all my radio stations but weirdly all of them still work? Im getting the inspection done tommorow, so hopefully it passes.

Negatives:
E-Brake!, if im on a hill i cant rely on this thing at all. I can easily push it on flat land too. Ill have to park in gear for now. Anyone know how easy it is to fix?

Suspension
Kinda rough, i feel every bump on the road. Is it naturally like this am i need of a new suspension?

Trunk only opens with key, latch doesnt work.

Old maxima story for whom ever cares:
Bought a 2000 Maxima from philly on august 12. According to the guy all it needed was a Master cylinder according to the guy. It ended up needing A mass air flow sensor, spark plugs, a new clutch, and a windshield. I had to get it all done in philly since it was undriveable. I bring it back to NY, some guy hits me coming off a ramp. Luckily everyone was okay and it only a minor fender bender. I take it to get inspected in NY, and the mechanic showed me how one of my shock towers was WAY higher than the other side. there was also a tear near one of the strut towers. $1800 repair = JUNKED. A month later i bought my new 96 maxima, which i like better anyway.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Congrats on your new purchase. In order to fix your e-brake you are going to have to drop the exhaust from the catalytic back along with the heat shields for it. I've done it before and since you have a salt belt car you are definitely going to be snapping some bolts.

As for your suspension, I would just go ahead and change out all the bushings in the front such as the lower control arms, tie rods, and sway bar end links. Those should help your suspension do its job.

You trunk doesn't have a latch to open it but rather a button on the drivers door panel to open it. See if its unplugged from behind and check the wiring, that could be your cause of it not working.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM

I remeber when I got my first max when I was in highschool in Queens.. Pearl white, 5 speed, black leather, the works.Literally everything was the same as your car.

for your brakes, check if your ebrake cable are even attached. They weren't on my car. If they are then, check if your rear calipers are seized. If those are fine, you need new ebrake cables, or your pads are shot. Narrow it down. Its usually a seized caliper or a seized cable.

suspension- you might as well change it all out after winter. Youre going to want to go lower, save up do it right and get coilovers. Dont go to low, NYC roads are a PITA. Drove there for 2 years before I moved to Albany for school.

Trunk- There is a button on the drivers door. If thats not working, check the fuse if its blown. If the fuse isn't blown there a little actuator that's near the latch that needs to be pressed in. Search the forums for the exact direction on that

EDIT: that car is really clean. DP0 is a nice color. It is a SE btw. 5-speed, white guages, body color door handles, and spoiler all point to SE. Check your radiator support to, you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Last edited by Max139617; 10-22-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Good news, passed inspection today. Officially love this car. @Max139617 @cichlidkid thanks for all the advice, As I drove the car more, I got used to the suspension and realized its not that bad. And at the cost of me looking dumb, the day before inspection, I realized the exhaust system was hanging on by chicken wire or something. Luckily when my mechanic told me it was no big deal and he throw a bolt on there for me.

I also heard about the lower radiator support problem that cars have in the north east. Ill have to take a look at it myself to double check, but considering I got an inspection and my guy didnt say anything about it, im not too worried.

Its also not that clean in person, needs a nice buff and it must have atleast a dozen minor dents. Im just happy with what i have and how it works great. I mean for $1600 I think I got a nice deal.