4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got a K&N.. what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:14 PM

Got a K&N.. what to do?

Ok guys, I did some searching and it looks like the aftermarket intakes for our cars suck, no pun intended.

I just bought a K&N panel drop in. I am wondering if I should just drop it in and be done, or should I mod the airbox at all?

I am not looking to make it a racer, it's my wifes car, and I am not worried about HP. I bought it becuase the old filter was clogged, and I am looking to possiblt squeeze a a MPG or two out.

Only other "performance" mods I plan on doing is some better wires and plugs, a Warpspeed y pipe, and a high flow cat.

So whats my best bet? Drop in th panel filter and le box alone, drop in panel and hack the box up, or return the panel and get a cone and adapter that eliminates the airbox completely?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by sleespeed
Ok guys, I did some searching and it looks like the aftermarket intakes for our cars suck, no pun intended.

I just bought a K&N panel drop in. I am wondering if I should just drop it in and be done, or should I mod the airbox at all?

I am not looking to make it a racer, it's my wifes car, and I am not worried about HP. I bought it becuase the old filter was clogged, and I am looking to possiblt squeeze a a MPG or two out.

Only other "performance" mods I plan on doing is some better wires and plugs, a Warpspeed y pipe, and a high flow cat.

So whats my best bet? Drop in th panel filter and le box alone, drop in panel and hack the box up, or return the panel and get a cone and adapter that eliminates the airbox completely?

Best bet for performance is to leave the stock box alone, you can hack out the bottom of it but that is mainly for sound. Just drop the K&N in, you'll see a lot better acceleration and MPG come back if your previous one was clogged.

Our cars dont have wires, we just have coil pakcs so just need to do plugs and you'll be fine. If its for your wife, does she really want more performance out of her car (speed wise) or do you want it for her? if she wants it then get the y-pipe, high flow cat wont due much but make your exhaust louder and maybe could cause emissions complication depending on where you buy the high flow from.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:33 PM

Good call. My wifes actually into all the aftermarket stuff. She helped pick out her wheels, some of the stereo equipment, and etc.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:37 PM

ok well if shes into it then yea th y-pipe will be a good start. you can call warspeed can mention you from the org and get a y-pipe for $160. save your money from the high flow cat and put that towards an exhaust setup (my opinion) Greddy SP2 is arguable the best sound thats came from the back of the Maxima.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:04 PM

I am not into changing out the OEM exhaust (B Pipe and Muffler) unless I can score something that is dam near as quiet as the stock B Pipe and Muffler. There are WAY TOO MANY slow *** JIGGY racer kids around here that will pipe and try to race ANYTHING that they can hear has exhaust. Now I don't mind if I'm driving, but I don't want the wife to have to deal with that.

Any catbacks that match my thinking?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Maximoneypit

haha - so true. my Warpspeed B-pipe and Stillen muffler is very quiet - which is what i wanted as well. i hear the apexi worldsport is the quietest but its availablility is in question i believe. (at least for the 97-99)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:09 PM

the greddy exhaust kind of matches that but it is a bit deeper at idle its noticable with an tuned ear, and is really heard when you gunning it, so maybe this isnt what you'd want. if you want quiet then OEM is the best, as exhausts are for some performance gain but also for sound.

or a custom bent setup done by you local muffler shop with enough resonators in their to silence mariah carey
Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 PM

So yea we are making progress. The filters in, stereo and alarm is done, wheels are on, springs and struts are ordered, ordering red/clear tails and diamond bumpers tommorow, (its worth $95 shipped to me to save me the pain in the *** of baking OE tails) and I am gonna order an OEM foglight kit as well. After all the above is done I am gonna take a month or two break as we have bought th car cash, and have put a grip into it in the last 2 weeks. Mods after the month or two are Cefiro chrome lights with a HID/Projector retro, WSP Y Pipe, and leathers!

Owning a family sedan has never been such fun. Pictures will come AFTER the drop, she looks like a dam Jeep right now. (The car not my wife)