Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Installed my heater and pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:28 PM
NAS

Installed my heater and pressure gauge

both from dynotune, well I ran my car around last night and the pressure never got over 704 but was still rising, it started out at like 566 or so, I adjusted the sensor twice but it seemed to take forever. The bottle felt very very hot to the touch when I got home and the pressure was at 704 any thoughts? Does it take like an hour to get up around 1050 or what?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:27 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by NAS
both from dynotune, well I ran my car around last night and the pressure never got over 704 but was still rising, it started out at like 566 or so, I adjusted the sensor twice but it seemed to take forever. The bottle felt very very hot to the touch when I got home and the pressure was at 704 any thoughts? Does it take like an hour to get up around 1050 or what?
Does your setup have both a pressure gauge and a pressure sensor that controls the heater relay?

Something's wrong if the bottle feels hot to the touch. Usually the bottle is warm, like a fevered forehead, when pressure is around 1100 psi. You really should have a bottle blowout installed....

Be very cautious - an overheated bottle can rupture and blow off the back of your car. Get another pressure gauge if you can, just to crosscheck the bottle pressure.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:49 AM
NAS

the heater is controlled by a pressure sensor that is hooked to the relay, the gauge is not controlled by anything just reads pressure at the same point that the heater sensor is located, it reads pressure all the time but the funny thing is when I went out yesterday the pressure in the lines was -004? I wonder if the gauge is off by 4 lbs pressure? when I turn on the bottle it jumps to mid 500's, its about 30 deg. outside so its kinda cold here in CO. I do have another pressure gauge NX dial type so ill check to see if there is a difference, that was a great idea I didnt even think about it
Old 12-17-2006, 02:41 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by NAS
the heater is controlled by a pressure sensor that is hooked to the relay, the gauge is not controlled by anything just reads pressure at the same point that the heater sensor is located, it reads pressure all the time but the funny thing is when I went out yesterday the pressure in the lines was -004? I wonder if the gauge is off by 4 lbs pressure? when I turn on the bottle it jumps to mid 500's, its about 30 deg. outside so its kinda cold here in CO. I do have another pressure gauge NX dial type so ill check to see if there is a difference, that was a great idea I didnt even think about it
Yeah, I know how the gauge and pressure-sensor work. I just re-installed mine onto a new 6AN manifold because I'm updated the entire nitrous feed system from 4AN to 6AN. The question is "does your gauge read right?". Use the NX mechanical gauge as your reference gauge - chances are it's accurate.

The bottle can be warmed with a 500 watt quartz light, outside of the car. Just shine it on the bottle until the small end of the bottle is warm to the touch. Betcha you then have about 1100 psi showing.

I do this all the time when warming a bottle before going to the strip on a cold morning. I then wrap the bottle in a blanket until I'm ready to connect the bottle at the track and wrap it in the heater pad. Just warm to the touch is always enough for me....
Old 12-17-2006, 03:58 PM
NAS

update: I installed the mechanical gauge a little hard to read but it showed about the same pressure as the digital one when I opened the bottle... I guess I will hope nothing is abnormal, I thought all NX bottles had a pressure burst thing for safety its black plastic on the opposite side of the nipple points directly up? I ripped an email to dynotune so ill see what they say.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by NAS
update: I installed the mechanical gauge a little hard to read but it showed about the same pressure as the digital one when I opened the bottle... I guess I will hope nothing is abnormal, I thought all NX bottles had a pressure burst thing for safety its black plastic on the opposite side of the nipple points directly up? I ripped an email to dynotune so ill see what they say.
I think the NX blowoff valve is optional, and they also sell replacement "disks" for the popoffs....

All NX parts can be found here: http://nitrousdirect.com/nitrous-express.html

This might give you a good idea of how many options they have.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Is the bottle full? If the level is down the pressure wont be as high..

Dont mean to ask a stupid question..
Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Originally Posted by Maximaaa
Is the bottle full? If the level is down the pressure wont be as high..

Dont mean to ask a stupid question..
I was about to ask the same thing!
Maybe you have less nitrous than you think?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by vq356sp
I was about to ask the same thing!
Maybe you have less nitrous than you think?
Good point! Throw the bottle on a scale - the weights are on the side of the bottle, for empty weight and the nitrous weight when full. I think a full 10 lb NX bottle weights about 24.5 lbs, and completely empty it's 14.5 lbs - wait, I'll go look ------ yes, that's the weights listed on the side.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
NAS

ah yes this crossed my mind also and I dont know how much is in it, ive run around the streets and used it maybe 10 times or so, not more than 5-8 seconds so im guessing it could be pretty low, I dont know what the weight is with the bottle opener on it so I was just going to open the valve let all the nitrous out then weigh it to get the exact weight, then of course go fill it again.. ive been snowed in for a few weeks so the car hasnt seen daylight 3 weeks, waiting waiting waiting
Old 01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Originally Posted by NAS
ah yes this crossed my mind also and I dont know how much is in it, ive run around the streets and used it maybe 10 times or so, not more than 5-8 seconds so im guessing it could be pretty low, I dont know what the weight is with the bottle opener on it so I was just going to open the valve let all the nitrous out then weigh it to get the exact weight, then of course go fill it again.. ive been snowed in for a few weeks so the car hasnt seen daylight 3 weeks, waiting waiting waiting
Good idea.... Its probably better to get a complete fill that way you will be able to pinpoint if this isnt the problem
Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Don't most bottle heaters turn off themselves when they reach a certain temp.?
I know my zex heater has a built in thermostat and shuts off when a certain temp is reached.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Question

So will installing this decrease the life of the car?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by babymac
Don't most bottle heaters turn off themselves when they reach a certain temp.?
I know my zex heater has a built in thermostat and shuts off when a certain temp is reached.
NX uses a pressure switch to control the heater - mine is set at 1150 psi, and I use a 15lb bottle so it doesn't cool off so fast. Fuel pressure is set to 46psi.

The pressure switch actually controls the heater relay, and the bottle valve has to be open before you enable the heater. Otherwise, you can blow the bottle or popoff disc.