Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Nitrous legal issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nitrous legal issues

Ok so i want more power, and of course nitrous comes to mind. I do know how it works and how to hook everything up, so the only thing i'm worried about are the legal issues that i may have. Have any of you guys gotten in trouble with the popo because of n2o before? I belive you have to be 21 to get the license to transport the stuff, but i'm wondering what would happen IF i got caught, and what type of situations i could possibly get caught in besides racing.

cliff notes: how safe is nitrous concerning the legal side of things
Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Brain phuck

I got pulled over by a cop on my way back home from getting my bottles filled. I had them in the back seat of my car. It was like 10 pm or so. I didnt get my nitrous permit in the mail yet so I was using my buddies *wink*. The cop pulled me over and asked me where I was coming from where I was going all that crap. He then asks me, 'why is your exhaust so loud?' I am like 'huh?' He asks again, 'Why did you make your exhaust so loud?' I told him I didn't exactly purposly try to make my car louder, but that is what happened when I went to meineke and had thm put on a 'performance muffler'. He then started looking under my car and at the exhaust. Then he shines the light in my back seat. I am now thinking to myself 'shlt! im' screwed!' Then he asks me "What are the nitro tanks for?" I told him that on fridays I take the car to the drag strip up by me and race it. Then he asks "Why are the nitro tanks in seatbelts, and your not!?" He gave me a seat belt ticket and said to have a nice night.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Brain phuck

I am pretty sure as long as they are not hooked up to your car, and you have a permit, that you are not breaking any laws.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 AM

What permit? I have never heard of a permit.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
STFU n00b!

never heard of having to have a permit for it either.

it's one thing if you're doing commercial transportation of many tanks of it (above xxxxlb), then it's considered a HazMat.. but under that, no permit required.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Permit? Neve heared of it.
IMO you only get caught with nitrous if you are being a ricer.
Let me give you an example:

Example#1: I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, cop gives me a ticket and i am on my way. (I have a hidden set up, nitrous buttons,gague is under center console,bottle in trunk under an old sweater.)

Example #2: My friend also has nitrous and he got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt...(he doesnt have his set up hidden) so as the cop is getting his registration,license and sh*t cop looks at his pillar and he looks at teh gauges and 1 of them says nitrous along with the red purge button and activation switch on his steering wheel......... Well to make a long story a bit shorter, the cop gives him a ticket for nitrous and sends his @ss to the state smog inspector.

Point being it is very easy to keep nitrous completely Stealth and this will avoid any unwanted attention from law enforcement.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Ok i see. I'm reading the ohio laws, and apparently its completely legal to have a CLOSED bottle, but if it's open, its a 4th degree misdomenor, $250-$1000 fine and up to 6 months of jail time. The permit is only for a large amount like somebody mentioned.

So i'm thinking remote opener, and mount the bottle in the empty space where my spare tire used to be. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
STFU n00b!

Part of the point there is that an open bottle means you're *probably* racing on the street OR you're going to be spewing emissions like crazy. so if you're using N2O on the street, something on your car is illegal.

the main point is, don't get caught using it, and they won't do anything. If you're out street racing or have your bottle hooked up and get a ticket for it, you're stupid to have gotten pulled over in the first place.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
absoundlab

I know in fla you dont need a permit or anything like that you just can not have your main line hooked up to the bottle while driving on the street

Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Part of the point there is that an open bottle means you're *probably* racing on the street OR you're going to be spewing emissions like crazy. so if you're using N2O on the street, something on your car is illegal.

the main point is, don't get caught using it, and they won't do anything. If you're out street racing or have your bottle hooked up and get a ticket for it, you're stupid to have gotten pulled over in the first place.

It's easy to hide from the cops, but is there any way for DEQ to find your nitrous set up when going through emissions testing? They obvuosly won't open up my hood, but will the emissions level change even if the nitrous isn't flowing?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
the org...not what it was

in MD it isn't illegal but i hear they are trying to change that, however in VA it is very much illegal and the police officers (State) have the option of throwing you in jail for it because it's a fellony to have it hooked up in your car.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM

as long as its not hooked you good from what i've heard from racers in MI and IL
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM

I decided to get a wet kit after buying new wheels/upgrading brakes. I'm just going to hide it in a gym bag on the passenger side front floor like Jime did. That will allow me to open/close it in seconds, also will try to make some kind of quick release mechanism for the main nitrous line.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
I decided to get a wet kit after buying new wheels/upgrading brakes. I'm just going to hide it in a gym bag on the passenger side front floor like Jime did. That will allow me to open/close it in seconds, also will try to make some kind of quick release mechanism for the main nitrous line.
I think you're worrying way too much

What situation are you going to be in where you shouldn't already have it disconnected or closed off that a cop would be pulling you over, hmm?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I think you're worrying way too much

What situation are you going to be in where you shouldn't already have it disconnected or closed off that a cop would be pulling you over, hmm?
Well you see....i don't street race much at all, maybe like once every 2-3 months, so its not that....but i like to do random WOT runs very often, and i want to be sure that if i get pulled over for some reason while i'm doing one of these runs, i won't get in trouble for the nitrous.

Or just in any case if i'm pulled over and my car has to be searched, this has happened once at a cinci meet actually and i know it can happen again!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Brain phuck

The permit is needed in NJ in order to buy nitrous. If you don't have a valid permit, the nitrous filling stations won't fill your bottle.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
Well i like to do random WOT runs very often, and i want to be sure that if i get pulled over for some reason while i'm doing one of these runs, i won't get in trouble for the nitrous.
Sorry bro ... GROW UP!!! Don't use Nitrous on streets or for High speed WOT runs.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DonGfun
Sorry bro ... GROW UP!!! Don't use Nitrous on streets or for High speed WOT runs.
Sorry bro...that's not what this thread was about!!!!! You think i do high speed runs with cars everywhere?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 PM

lol... so when are you getting the set up if you are?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 PM
absoundlab

I was riding in my friends integra yesterday and we were on the way home from the drag strip. We got pulled over ( long story) the cops searched the car and he saw the nos bottle in the trunk. He didnt say anything so I asked him about it. I asked him what the law is about the nos and he said there are no laws about it. You can have it and you can use it. I'm sure he didnt mean you can use it on the road. But we didnt get in trouble for it.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Yeah man, I have had my set-up for about two years and have not had a problem w/ any situation like this yet. Don't worry too much about it. Just be smart on the streets and keep it in your trunk or spare tire well if possible.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Play with my balls

If you have nitrous in your car and you get pulled over because you didn't spray to try get away from him, you should sell your nitrous system.