Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Nitrous (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous-40/)
-   -   Spark plug part number for 04 3.5 (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous/584302-spark-plug-part-number-04-3-5-a.html)

krazy6 03-03-2009 01:36 PM

Spark plug part number for 04 3.5

I am wondering what the part number would be for one step colder copper NGK's for an 04 max.

I am planning on spraying a 75 shot, so the one step colder plugs will work.

Thanks guys!

Juiced SE-R 03-03-2009 03:27 PM

Dont run coppers bro run iridiums... NGK Iridium LFR6AIX-11 = 1 step colder plugs and if you ever wanna go with a bigger shot, the 2 step colder plug is a 7 instead of the 6. Stock gap is around .044 but gap your plugs down to help prevent detonation.

505max94se 03-03-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Juiced SE-R (Post 6908246)
Dont run coppers bro run iridiums...

:scratch:

Juiced SE-R 03-03-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se (Post 6908319)
:scratch:

Scratch your head all you want.

I'm not saying you cant run them, but its more common on the 3.0's not the 3.5's. And when you have guys like Kevin007 (6th Gen) Jime (5.5 Gen/ Maxima Guru) and I can name many more that have been running nitrous for a LONG time successfully using iridium plugs why wouldnt you wanna use the same plugs they are? I've had nitrous on my car for almost 2 yrs now using iridium plugs and havent had any problems from the plugs or out of my car/motor.. I can go on and on about this but I wont.

I hope that part number helps you out man and good luck with your nitrous.

505max94se 03-03-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Juiced SE-R (Post 6908575)
Scratch your head all you want.

I'm not saying you cant run them, but its more common on the 3.0's not the 3.5's. And when you have guys like Kevin007 (6th Gen) Jime (5.5 Gen/ Maxima Guru) and I can name many more that have been running nitrous for a LONG time successfully using iridium plugs why wouldnt you wanna use the same plugs they are? I've had nitrous on my car for almost 2 yrs now using iridium plugs and havent had any problems from the plugs or out of my car/motor.. I can go on and on about this but I wont.

I hope that part number helps you out man and good luck with your nitrous.

I'm just wondering why you're telling him not to use coppers?? What's so much better about Iridiums? FYI, I've used both, but coppers are cheaper.

krazy6 03-04-2009 01:49 AM

Copper plugs are supposed to be used in nitrous applications.
I have seen iridium plugs melt under nitrous. I have used nitrous before and know a ton of people that have sprayed huge shots on V8's. They all run copper plugs.

Does Jime really run iridium plugs? Damn.

What is the copper plug part number?

Juiced SE-R 03-04-2009 05:51 AM

Ok you guys are the boss I guess, so whatever you say.....

grey99max 03-04-2009 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Juiced SE-R (Post 6909492)
Ok you guys are the boss I guess, so whatever you say.....

I've melted iridium plug electrodes - I have photos - but never copper-core plugs. The iridium center electrode is very thin and heats up - like a glow plug - under some conditions. The copper center electrode has more mass and can dump the extra heat into the plug's outer shell.

I also cut back the ground strap and side-gap the plugs to reduce the amount of metal inside the combustion chamber. Lots of nitrous makes the combustion chamber stupid-hot and that heat can cause all sorts of problems - including melting exhaust valves (more photos).

For what it's worth....

505max94se 03-04-2009 03:21 PM

1-step colder ngk v-power is LFR6A-11

Juiced SE-R 03-04-2009 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max (Post 6909537)
I've melted iridium plug electrodes - I have photos - but never copper-core plugs. The iridium center electrode is very thin and heats up - like a glow plug - under some conditions. The copper center electrode has more mass and can dump the extra heat into the plug's outer shell.

I also cut back the ground strap and side-gap the plugs to reduce the amount of metal inside the combustion chamber. Lots of nitrous makes the combustion chamber stupid-hot and that heat can cause all sorts of problems - including melting exhaust valves (more photos).

For what it's worth....

I hear and understand what your saying. I just gave him a part number for something that I know works fine for me as well as many others with 3.5's on this forum. No matter what anyone says its all personal prefrence/experience. Different people/cars/setups are gonna have their differences, but bottom line most things come down to personal preference/opinion. Intakes, Y-Pipes, Exhausts, Spark Plugs, sometimes its all what people think works best for their setup and thats where everything gets mis-construed am I wrong?

Juiced SE-R 03-04-2009 04:51 PM

Krazy6, whatever plug you decide to go with good luck with your nitrous setup. She will run hard!

grey99max 03-05-2009 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Juiced SE-R (Post 6910793)
I hear and understand what your saying. I just gave him a part number for something that I know works fine for me as well as many others with 3.5's on this forum. No matter what anyone says its all personal prefrence/experience. Different people/cars/setups are gonna have their differences, but bottom line most things come down to personal preference/opinion. Intakes, Y-Pipes, Exhausts, Spark Plugs, sometimes its all what people think works best for their setup and thats where everything gets mis-construed am I wrong?

I try and leave out opinions and just share my personal experiences. Opinions are like Az*holes - "everybody has one and they all smell bad". I've had enough experiences with engines, nitrous, and drag racing (usually with photos) that I can sometimes contribute something. Doesn't mean I'm right - just experienced. Everyone makes their own choices - and lives with them...

I learn something new from this forum quite often - we have a very experienced group in Advanced Performance and I'm lucky to learn from them - so I try and give something back once in a while.

:cool:

krazy6 03-05-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max (Post 6909537)

Thank you! You know what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by 505max94se (Post 6910601)
1-step colder ngk v-power is LFR6A-11

Thanks for the part number. :D

t6378tp 03-05-2009 06:54 PM

iridium plug are supposed to have a longer life span than copper but I am always checking my plugs after track events and change my atleast twice a year so it's cheaper to just run copper

krazy6 03-06-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp (Post 6912930)
iridium plug are supposed to have a longer life span than copper but I am always checking my plugs after track events and change my atleast twice a year so it's cheaper to just run copper

Yes, they last longer on motor applications, not with nitrous. :D

TravisCadello 04-30-2013 07:23 AM

Will LFR6A-11 work for a 01 3.0? nitrous.

and what do ya mean cut the ground on plug. any more details please.

grey99max 05-01-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello (Post 8781261)
Will LFR6A-11 work for a 01 3.0? nitrous.

and what do ya mean cut the ground on plug. any more details please.

Since you asked... using nitrous heats up the combustion chamber more than usual. Any metal inside the combustion chamber can be heated up - like the ground strap of a spark plug. If things get too hot in there, the L-shaped strap heats up and starts to glow in the dark - causing detonation or pre-ignition, both destructive to that cylinder. Although you shouldn't use an extended-tip plug with higher levels of nitrous, you can straighten out the ground strap, cut off about 1/8" and file the cut end square with the strap, then keep the strap straight and bend the strap over to the center copper electrode and set the gap to .030-.035 to the side of the center electrode. The gap is on the side of the center electrode. Less metal to heat up.... and the leaner you run, the worse the heating will be.

WIth a 75-shot, no problem if not too lean. Using nitrous really means you need an A/F meter installed. Going up beyond a 100-shot is not a good idea without taking these two precautions. Some recommend an Iridium plug - personally, I've melted a few iridium electrodes, so I stuck with copper centers with extended tip plugs - up until my new engine, I now use the NGK racing plug which is entirely different. ( think it's #4805 )

Be very sure you have enought fuel pressure when spraying - check fuel pressure...