Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Nitrous (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous-40/)
-   -   Benefits of exhaust cut-out? (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous/591137-benefits-exhaust-cut-out.html)

jr schultz 05-27-2009 04:43 PM

Benefits of exhaust cut-out?

I posted a thread here about where to mount it: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-location.html

Here's my thoughts. Help me out if it would be pointless. My car's exhaust is stock. My wife likes it that way since its our daily driver. I was thinking a cutout either right after the Y pipe or after the resonator in the B pipe would help me out when I'm spraying at the track. I'm assuming my stock exhaust is hurting the 75 shot power potential. Would a cut out help me out in this scenario? Then the car would be quiet as can be when I'm not at the track and not spraying. Any thoughts?

t6378tp 05-27-2009 07:08 PM

just run it in place of the cat, and yes it will help

jr schultz 05-27-2009 08:14 PM

I need my cat to pass emissions where I live. Is there any room to mount it before the cat? Maybe just after the cat is what I have to do.

t6378tp 05-28-2009 06:59 PM

just have them put flanges on the cat and cutout and swap them back and forth for the track

jr schultz 05-28-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp (Post 7052251)
just have them put flanges on the cat and cutout and swap them back and forth for the track

Good idea. Thanx!

Aaron92SE 05-30-2009 08:53 AM

And in my experience, the cutout is going to leak a tiny bit. I sometimes put Ultra Copper RTV around the plate, but that doesn't last too long before it starts leaking again. Also, without a cat and with a slightly leaking cutout, expect your car to sound crappy. But when it's open, expect it to sound pretty mean!

So your best bet to still have a quiet stock exhaust system that sounds exactly like stock, swap the cutout in and out when you need it. If it turns out that you and the wife don't mind the noise it makes with the cutout in place and closed, then leave it in. But mine has flanges on it so I can swap it out with the cat if I wanted to. But I always leave my cutout in place. I can care less what my car sounds like as long as it beats the car next to me. :)

http://www.nwpengineering.com/images/testpipecutout.JPG

Also, here is my 3.5 with the cutout open. VQ35 with headwork, cams, headers, and equal length mandrel bent Ypipe:

jr schultz 05-30-2009 12:18 PM

Aaron92se...Sweet car! Sounds mean and is fast! Here's what I decided to do to please my wife and mother nature. My car doesn't have an o2 sensor behind the main cat, so I am going to have an exhaust shop cut off my resonator, move the cat back a little bit, and then put the cut-out where the cat was. Then I don't have to change out the cat every time I want to use the cut-out, and the deleted resonator will give my car a slightly better tone than stock.

Aaron92SE 06-01-2009 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jr schultz (Post 7055030)
Aaron92se...Sweet car! Sounds mean and is fast! Here's what I decided to do to please my wife and mother nature. My car doesn't have an o2 sensor behind the main cat, so I am going to have an exhaust shop cut off my resonator, move the cat back a little bit, and then put the cut-out where the cat was. Then I don't have to change out the cat every time I want to use the cut-out, and the deleted resonator will give my car a slightly better tone than stock.

That will work if you have enough room underneath your car. On my 3rd gen, my cat sits in a recessed area meant for it. If I moved it further back, it will hang down way too low.

Juiced SE-R 06-01-2009 05:31 PM

I think I need to invest in one of these.. Good info Aaron, looks like your car is running strong! Sounds like a beast!!

jr schultz 06-01-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE (Post 7057598)
That will work if you have enough room underneath your car. On my 3rd gen, my cat sits in a recessed area meant for it. If I moved it further back, it will hang down way too low.

I still may do what you did, since it would be a little cheaper. But, if I go with the other way, the cat will be able to sit in the area where the resonator is. Should be enough room there. Anyone with a 5th Gen confirm this?

jr schultz 06-05-2009 06:26 PM

Just an update...I did the cut-out the way I was advised in the above posts. $26 for the cut-out from Summit and $20 to have the flanges welded on. Getting the old cat off was a pain because of the rusted bolts, but I'm happy with the results. Best $46 I ever spent on my exhaust! I'm sure this will improve my times at the dragstrip...New nitrous times coming soon.

Jean Seb 09-27-2009 12:33 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm new here and i dont know why i can't create a new topic.

Will a exhaust cut-out, just after the cat cause i've got a o2 sensor on it, will be benefic on a 3.0 with only a ypipe and a ram air intake or a 2.5" catback will be better?

Thanks

perkman87 09-27-2009 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jean Seb (Post 7224026)
Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm new here and i dont know why i can't create a new topic.

Will a exhaust cut-out, just after the cat cause i've got a o2 sensor on it, will be benefic on a 3.0 with only a ypipe and a ram air intake or a 2.5" catback will be better?

Thanks

wha??

Jean Seb 09-27-2009 03:35 PM

Sorry if you dont understand, i dont speak english very well.

Mainly my question was; witch exhaust setup will be the best with only bolt-on, no tune on a vq30de-k.

1.Exhaust cutout just after the cat or
2. a complete 2.5" catback. or

The gain will be noticeable over the stock exhaust?

accordingtou 09-27-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp (Post 7050728)
just run it in place of the cat, and yes it will help

Originally Posted by Jean Seb (Post 7224215)
Sorry if you dont understand, i dont speak english very well.

Mainly my question was; witch exhaust setup will be the best with only bolt-on, no tune on a vq30de-k.

1.Exhaust cutout just after the cat or
2. a complete 2.5" catback. or

The gain will be noticeable over the stock exhaust?

:p

Jean Seb 09-27-2009 04:00 PM

Thanks you

What i need to do with the o2 sensor on the cat?
Just weld a o2 sensor bung on the cut out?
Did the ecu will give me code?

accordingtou 09-27-2009 04:27 PM

Install an O2 similator which tricks the ecu into thinking the cat is present & working:p

zsolt117 05-19-2011 08:29 PM

Hey would cutting off the muffler and running the pipe out to where it should be cause power loss, Iv heard it does and it doesnt so if anyone on here has experience with just cutting the muffler off please let me know, its a 2003 maxima SE. thanks

ajcool2 05-20-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zsolt117 (Post 8053971)
Hey would cutting off the muffler and running the pipe out to where it should be cause power loss, Iv heard it does and it doesnt so if anyone on here has experience with just cutting the muffler off please let me know, its a 2003 maxima SE. thanks

It wont do anything but make the car louder.

twentyeggs 10-05-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2 (Post 8054383)
It wont do anything but make the car louder.

not true. it opens up top end quite a bit for a little bottom end sacrifice. if your racing and wanna get the best time, have your finger on the switch and click it open after you hit 3k that way you don't lose any power in any range.

I tucked my cut-out right up in that little space above the cross member. That way if i ever bottom out, it is protected. Placed the button right next to the steering wheel heater.

i did the cutout option for the same reason, to keep the woman happy and preserve the luxury aspect of the maxima.