Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Nitrous (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous-40/)
-   -   ZEX controller...how it actually works (https://maxima.org/forums/nitrous/614790-zex-controller-how-actually-works.html)

floppynuts3333 06-01-2010 02:16 PM

ZEX controller...how it actually works

Here is a question I have had for a while...The zex controller is dubbed one of the smartest, advanced...blah blah. Stated to be able to control fuel pressure based on nitrous pressure. I have tried finding how it actually works on the zex site and many other sites. The only information I came across was that the actual nozzle acts as an ejector of sorts...Just that the nitrous fog draws a suction on the fuel nozzle and depending on the nitrous pressure it can adjust the amount of fuel drawn by a few percent in each direction(high and low). Im hoping it is more advanced than that...but I have yet to find a good answer. Any thoughts?

m_turner_02 06-01-2010 04:41 PM

hmmm, subscribed for possible answers. I have a zex kit waiting to be installed and would be curious to find out

floppynuts3333 06-06-2010 06:05 PM

wrote zex....no replies yet...I think they like the fact that everyone thinks its a magic box...We'll see if they do respond!?!?

floppynuts3333 06-08-2010 06:21 PM

Heard back from zex and it is just as I thought....check it out.

Josh there are many misconceptions about the NMU. It is only a good looking
way to contain the solenoids and the wiring needed for the TPS activation.
It has no sensors or anything that monitors AF ratio or any thing like that.
Now the ZEX nozzle design is what actually does a lot of what people think
the NMU does. The ZEX nozzle has Fuel Shear and Active Fuel Control
Technology. The Fuel Shear Tech. injects fuel using a fuel transfer tube.
This tube allows the fuel to inject in the highest velocity area of the
nitrous plume. This allows for the best possible fuel atomization ensuring
one cylinder does not go dangerously rich or lean. Active Fuel Control Tech.
is a safety feature that basically allows the level of fuel drawn from the
nozzle to vary depending on bottle pressure. This way your nitrous never
goes lean or rich due to changing bottle pressure or temperature changes.
Many people mistakenly believe this to be controlled by the NMU but it is
not. I hope this has answered your questions.

Aaron Mick
COMP Cams Technical Consultant

VQ'ed 06-11-2010 05:58 PM

good, looking forward to spray.

se-r altima driver 07-07-2010 06:25 AM

Good info for those doing nitrous.
Now if only someone has a good way to tap the fuel line without cutting it.

m_turner_02 07-07-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by se-r altima driver (Post 7630773)

this. and if you figure something out please let me know(I was following your progress on NC)

I'm contemplating getting rid of the egr assembly and using an 02-04 fuel rail that I have laying around

floppynuts3333 07-07-2010 05:00 PM

i would not get rid of the egr...u will have higher exhaust temps and worse emissions with no added power....anybody thats states different is wrong

Mad-MAX_SE 07-07-2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by se-r altima driver (Post 7630773)

The easiest way would be to add a section of fuel hose to the fuel filter to a T back into the stock line.

m_turner_02 07-08-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by floppynuts3333 (Post 7631885)
i would not get rid of the egr...u will have higher exhaust temps and worse emissions with no added power....anybody thats states different is wrong

the only reason I suggested this is because me and ser altima driver both have 05-06 altimas and there isn't a way to tap the fuel line without splicing. the 02-04 guys do not have the egr system and can utilize fuel rail taps made for the 350z which makes things much easier

wouldn't removing the egr lower temps and lean it out slightly?

floppynuts3333 07-09-2010 01:24 PM

no...the exhaust actually retards some of the combustion and the exhaust temp is lower...you can find some interesting dynos of different cars that have done this...a few will show tthe exhaust temps...you can also read about it.

floppynuts3333 07-09-2010 01:25 PM

I tee'd into my fuel line...Im sure theres better ways.

5 ltr. beater 07-09-2010 04:39 PM

wait wait wait....so let me get this straight, this "Zex controller" actually adjusts fuel pressure depending on how much bottle pressure there is so as to not run too rich or too lean? :confused:

m_turner_02 07-09-2010 06:55 PM

thanks for the info floppy

floppynuts3333 07-10-2010 08:10 PM

no prob...no the zex controller does none of that...its the nozzle design that allows a slight fluctuation in fuel delivery as your bottle pressure changes. It basically creates a vacuum to draw a little more or less fuel to assist in the fuel pressure you are already sending through the nozzle. Hope this helps.

maxman1988 04-09-2013 06:38 AM

sorry to bring up an older thread but since the nozzle design adjusts fuel with the nitrous, would i need to adjust my emanage tuning for it? im going to get a zex wet fogger kit soon so i'm curious