4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

new "value advantage" air filters from Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:11 AM

new "value advantage" air filters from Nissan?

Hi all:

Has anyone else always used the OEM Nissan air filters like me? I picked one up but noticed the packaging says Value Advantage. It is made in Mexico vs. Japan but what I really noticed is that there is a screen on top of the filter media unlike the ones I always bought. I called the parts department and they said I can still buy the OEM version for a few dollars more. I'm curious why they started offering this "Value Advantage" line and the addition of the screen. I'm going to exchange it regardless.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 AM

seems the air filter is a bad place to save a few bucks if you plan to keep the car a while
Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Agreed. I don't put many miles on the car so it's been a while since the filter was changed so the introduction of the Value Advantage line could have happened some time ago. I didn't think anything of the labeling on the box till I pulled it out, saw the screen, and thought "this doesn't look like the old ones!".
Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 AM

As long as you change them out at the correct interval, I don't really see the point in what you get really as long as it does its job.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 AM

wonder why another line of Air filters from the dealer?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 PM

who cares? k&n all the way.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 PM

I use the Purolator PureOne which is made in the USA

Autozone has the STP Premium air filter which is also US-made and is a snazzy red color
Old 01-23-2017, 06:40 PM

I just buy the oem nissan air filter for the 97 Maxima from the dealer for 20 bucks as its one of the best filters out there and the quality is superb. Also it not the value adavantage as those are not that good its the oem one. 16546V0100

Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 PM

bah, it's paper, no thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
bah, it's paper, no thanks
I had the k&n air filter and looked at it one day in the sun and I saw a bunch of tiny little holes that would allow dirt to pass through and it wasnt even washed. it was still new which is why I stay away from K&N cause I rather spend money air filter than on waisting my time to go find a new maf sensor or worse go to a junk yard and try a used maf sensor one after another and after another until you find one thats good.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 AM

On one of my recent trips to the local Nissan dealer parts department, I noticed some Fram air filters on the shelves. I had to chuckle when I saw that. Oh well.

Usually I purchase Purlator PureOne "blue" air filters for $14.99 at AdvanceAuto. I use them to "stuff an online order" to hit a higher level pricing tier when I'm ordering other parts using discount codes TRT30 (30%) or TRT41 (40%).

So my actual cost may turn out to be $0 when I use them in a larger 40% off order. Then I keep the extra filter in the workshop for when I need one. I don't think filters last forever, so replacing one is just part of the service interval.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
I had the k&n air filter and looked at it one day in the sun and I saw a bunch of tiny little holes that would allow dirt to pass through and it wasnt even washed. it was still new which is why I stay away from K&N cause I rather spend money air filter than on waisting my time to go find a new maf sensor or worse go to a junk yard and try a used maf sensor one after another and after another until you find one thats good.
never had a problem with my maf ( 22 years old ) or with either of my 2 k&n air filters. i went through at least 5 regular air filters as a opposed to 1 k&n and 2 cleanings. i've had maxy almost 12 years and she runs great with no issues on my oiled filter. adds a little kick to the hp as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 AM
JvG

I also use the k&n filter in my maxima, and Nis san pickup.

I have been using k&n filters for 15 years in my vehicles and an other I maintain for a friend.

I have never had maf problems.

My air intake stays clean.

I do notice some extra power and slightly better mileage.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:50 AM

I personally stay away from K&N Air Filters or any modified air intake for tht matter! In my experience, the K&N has ruined a couple of MAF sensors. For a couple of bucks, why not just use and replace traditional air filters instead of taking a chance ruining the MAF with allowing oil and dirt through the K&N or other aftermarket stuff. BTW... I've seen no appreciable gains in HP using K&N and other modified air intake systems!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM

PS Nissan Value Advantage line = cheap chinese made knock off OEM parts. See my posts in the 5th Gen forum regarding Nissan Value Advantage replacement Axles; bottom line is that Nissan Value Advantage stinks!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
I personally stay away from K&N Air Filters or any modified air intake for tht matter! In my experience, the K&N has ruined a couple of MAF sensors. For a couple of bucks, why not just use and replace traditional air filters instead of taking a chance ruining the MAF with allowing oil and dirt through the K&N or other aftermarket stuff. BTW... I've seen no appreciable gains in HP using K&N and other modified air intake systems!
that cause you didn't read the box
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 AM

PS Nissan Value Advantage line = cheap chinese made knock off OEM parts. See my posts in the 5th Gen forum regarding Nissan Value Advantage replacement Axles; bottom line is that Nissan Value Advantage stinks!

link please?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 AM

With all due respect to everyone, these are the types of statements that compel me to urge folks to do some research on automotive air filtration technology and proper oiled air filter maintenance.

The true performance gains associated with the use of an oiled cotton-gauze air filter over a paper cartridge may be questionable, but the increased flow and filtration efficiency is not.

Anyone who's used an oiled air filter and lost a MAF sensor due to it's use is at fault, not the filter.

There's a reason that our owner's manuals and FSMs are replete with the statement, "do not overfill".

Last edited by Turbobink; 01-25-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Here is a forum where a person stated that kn air filter have microscopic holes that allow dirt to go through the filter itself.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t384...ers_hmmm_.html

Holes in K&N Filters..Hmmm..

Search
solaris=amazing
03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, would microscopic dust/dirt getting past the air filter..into the intake harm the engine to badly..? Wouldn't it be burnt up before it can do damage..?

I bring this question up because i was thinking of ordering a panel kn filter..which i did along time ago, had it in..then realized it had holes in it..and returned it. Now i got a fram filter in there, i did notice a slight drop in throttle response when i went from the kn to the fram paper one.

BTW, i work at autozone, and the other day i opened up 8 filter k&n filters boxes, including one cone type. Held them all up to the sunlight..HOLES.. No joke, tiny holes all over the place, small but still..HOLES.. These where brand new.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:29 AM

stop already, i noticed the gains with the k&n immediately after i installed my first one 10 years ago. if you read the instructions and don't over oil the filter your maf will be fine. plus, i just oil ( lightly ) the section that faces down, not both sides as yes, it will kill or screw up your maf if over-oiled. read and learn http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#FACTS

Last edited by max ride 41; 01-26-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 AM

Here is a forum where a person stated that kn air filter have microscopic holes that allow dirt to go through the filter itself.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t384...ers_hmmm_.html

Holes in K&N Filters..Hmmm..

Search
solaris=amazing
03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, would microscopic dust/dirt getting past the air filter..into the intake harm the engine to badly..? Wouldn't it be burnt up before it can do damage..?

I bring this question up because i was thinking of ordering a panel kn filter..which i did along time ago, had it in..then realized it had holes in it..and returned it. Now i got a fram filter in there, i did notice a slight drop in throttle response when i went from the kn to the fram paper one.

BTW, i work at autozone, and the other day i opened up 8 filter k&n filters boxes, including one cone type. Held them all up to the sunlight..HOLES.. No joke, tiny holes all over the place, small but still..HOLES.. These where brand new.
... I repeat:

Originally Posted by Turbobink
... these are the types of statements that compel me to urge folks to do some research on automotive air filtration technology and proper oiled air filter maintenance.