Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Maxima -vs- Active Turbo BMW

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 06:10 PM

Turbo Maxima -vs- Active Turbo BMW

I would like to get feedback on this issue. Do any of you guys feel that our Turbo Charge Maximas can out-perform the Active Turbo Charge BMW's?? Can we get the same gains or more???
Old 02-16-2003, 06:29 PM

For those of you that dont know active. Here is a link on there applications. Very intersting to read...

http://www.activeautowerke.com/

They got some amazing specs....
Old 02-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Administrator

yes
Old 02-16-2003, 06:43 PM

Can you be a bit informative... Reason is, a friend mine has a Turbo Charge 3series running 480whp and 485wtq at 15psi, His reading are not from the Dyno-Jet. He uses the Mustang Dyno. What are the difference between these two dyno systems???

Originally posted by SprintMax
yes
Old 02-16-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Morfeus17
Can you be a bit informative... Reason is, a friend mine has a Turbo Charge 3series running 480whp and 485wtq at 15psi, His reading are not from the Dyno-Jet. He uses the Mustang Dyno. What are the difference between these two dyno systems???
mustang dynoes usually yield slightly lower numbers, and is considered to be a more "real" reflection of cars whp... there is a calculation they say to get the dynojet numbers (how much to add) but i forget, any mustang dyno op. should be able to tell you

and yes , i think turbo max's can definately compete, its all money. note: their 8700, 10,000, etc kits.. now handling...
Old 02-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Ford Only.

usually the Max's put out high 300's low 400's with about 10psi on average.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by hlh0501

mustang dynoes usually yield slightly lower numbers, and is considered to be a more "real" reflection of cars whp... there is a calculation they say to get the dynojet numbers (how much to add) but i forget, any mustang dyno op. should be able to tell you

and yes , i think turbo max's can definately compete, its all money. note: their 8700, 10,000, etc kits.. now handling...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:52 AM
SLOW

Whoa what car's he running this on? Their stage 2+ and stage 3 kits require a motor rebuild which is $$$. Not to mention the kit itself will run $10K+. Sounds like your friend has some money to throw around, he's probably got more than $20,000 in engine mods on that car if he's really putting 485+ down on a mustang dyno. You are going to have a problem unless you can get enough fuel in there to run a crazy amt of boost. That's what you'd need to run with him. ~10psi is not going to cut it when he's putting down nearly 500 to the wheels. I know *someone* on here has run 14+ psi but he said he didn't feel particularly safe doing it. I wouldn't bet money on either car, I'd just sit back and enjoy the show
Old 02-17-2003, 05:39 PM

Well I understand what your saying. However I was with him when the Turbo was installed and I assure you he is running "Stock Internals". His Compression was 10:1 stock and now its down to 8:1. He is use a "metal spacer" and two stock gaskets, running stage 2+ system. In the near future he plans to do full internal upgrade with custom intake. His goal is to achieve around 800+ RWHP at 36-40psi. I doubt that we can achieve this even if we tried.. Those BMW are ment for performace....

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Whoa what car's he running this on? Their stage 2+ and stage 3 kits require a motor rebuild which is $$$. Not to mention the kit itself will run $10K+. Sounds like your friend has some money to throw around, he's probably got more than $20,000 in engine mods on that car if he's really putting 485+ down on a mustang dyno. You are going to have a problem unless you can get enough fuel in there to run a crazy amt of boost. That's what you'd need to run with him. ~10psi is not going to cut it when he's putting down nearly 500 to the wheels. I know *someone* on here has run 14+ psi but he said he didn't feel particularly safe doing it. I wouldn't bet money on either car, I'd just sit back and enjoy the show
Old 02-18-2003, 07:11 AM

36-40psi.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:32 PM

I know!!! That's a lot of Boost. They say when you get the Boost Bug You cant go back to stock. And at the same time you want More!!
He is what you called a "Certified Boost Addict" I'll post his Dyno runs once his car is setup.

Originally posted by CBass69187
Old 02-18-2003, 09:15 PM

I doubt that we can achieve this even if we tried.. Those BMW are ment for performace....[/B]
No BMW engine off the lot will handle 36-40psi, just the same as any nissan engine wouldn't.

The VQ's been a top-10 engine for years, very similarly to some BMW motors. Both engines with enough money poured into them could handle that sort of boost & horsepower, the problem is having the research and money to do it. The transmission, and drivetrain (800hp fwhp? ) would make someone think twice about doing it on our engines.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ereet

No BMW engine off the lot will handle 36-40psi, just the same as any nissan engine wouldn't.

have you heard of the engines RB26DETT, SR20DETT and L26?

RB26DETT have been able to handle over 1000 whp
Old 02-19-2003, 04:01 PM

I understand your point and I am not trying to downgrade nissan in any way. But This BMW will be running that kind of boost.
The motor will be fully worked form crank to valves. And yes. It will cost money. Stay tuned.

Originally posted by ereet

The VQ's been a top-10 engine for years, very similarly to some BMW motors. Both engines with enough money poured into them could handle that sort of boost & horsepower, the problem is having the research and money to do it. The transmission, and drivetrain (800hp fwhp? ) would make someone think twice about doing it on our engines.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:28 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

This is not the first time I've heard of these levels of boost for a BMW block, but the total mods were like $100K when everything was all said and done. My question is why? I mean, most of us here are enthuasiasts and all, but damn...that does go into a realm of unknown territory for WHP in a street legal car (or is it street legal?)
Old 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM

To answer your question, I guess that some people will always want to push the envelope and to reach maximum performace. As far as costs, it would be a lot!! But not 100K. Most likely between 30-40K. But If you have the money why not do it. You only live Once. The car will be Both Street legal and Track Ready with removable Roll-Cage. Gotta Wonder...

Originally posted by Quicksilver
This is not the first time I've heard of these levels of boost for a BMW block, but the total mods were like $100K when everything was all said and done. My question is why? I mean, most of us here are enthuasiasts and all, but damn...that does go into a realm of unknown territory for WHP in a street legal car (or is it street legal?)
Old 02-20-2003, 07:14 PM

To answer your question, I guess that some people will always want to push the envelope and to reach maximum performace. As far as costs, it would be a lot!! But not 100K. Most likely between 30-40K. But If you have the money why not do it. You only live Once. The car will be Both Street legal and Track Ready with removable Roll-Cage. Gotta Wonder...

Old 02-20-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

Supra TT. TOTALLY STOCK internals AND stock headgaskets. Have been known to achieve over 700-750hp.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Supra TT. TOTALLY STOCK internals AND stock headgaskets. Have been known to achieve over 700-750hp.
Hey Jeff,

Would you believe this Dyno? A buddy of mine personally knows the owner of this supra, and after filling it w/ racing fuel, setting the boost to 29psi, it gave him these numbers. STOCK internals

ALSO, here's the link to the dyno. Dyno MPG
Old 02-21-2003, 11:35 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Hey Jeff,

Would you believe this Dyno? A buddy of mine personally knows the owner of this supra, and after filling it w/ racing fuel, setting the boost to 29psi, it gave him these numbers. STOCK internals

ALSO, here's the link to the dyno. Dyno MPG
That **** just isn't fair
Old 02-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Those Dyno Numberes are amazing. The supra's cast-iron block can handle extreme loads of power. Minimal mods is all you need to produce high HP numbers. Expecially utilizing racing fuel with the proper AFC/FMU systems.

That **** just isn't fair
Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funnylittlman
[B]

Hey Jeff,

yeah those numbers are very, very impressive with stock internals. BUT the thing is just a dyno queen that's all.
400+hp gain between 3500-5000rpm, that translates to ZERO drivability there are no street tires that won't go up in smoke when you are accelerating in that range.
sure max hp numbers are fun but it takes real tuning to achieve linearity of the powerband.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:43 PM

Well if you thought that had no street driveability, then check out this:

905rwhp and over 800ft/lbs of Torque

Old 02-25-2003, 03:44 PM

Those Supras are awsome machines. It does't take much to mod the crap out of them..
A friend of mine has one running 550 rwhp. The only problem he is the Police harrassment factor. he always get stopped, and thats not for speeding!!

Well if you thought that had no street driveability, then check out this:

905rwhp and over 800ft/lbs of Torque

Old 02-25-2003, 11:00 PM

Now here is my 2 cents on the bimmer vs maxima. I happen to be an owner of both. Dont get me wrong I love my maxima to death and will never sell the thing as many times as I have been told too. I also own a 90 E30 325 and I am in germany right nopw and have had the oppurtunity to work on some really nice Bimmers such as a M5 an M3 and some 330s. Its been really neat here as far as german mechanicla stuff. Now in comparison the Turboed BMW motor if done right can make some nice power. But that is if done right. You will be spending more than ya thought trying to fine tune a BMW motor for boost. They honestly were not made for that at all. I prefer SC BMW motors myself. I had a buddy who had a Turboed M3 an unknowingly was running real close to that good ole lean/ detonation area. And he had it done pretty good professional. had the bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors. Reprog chip, The works. But when he dynoed he was only making about 280 or so at 12psi. Not very amazing for such a powerful engine. Now as far as power to power, from what i have seena Turbo maxima and a Turbo BMW(if done right) are about even if ya are going stock internals vs stock internals. The thing that edges out the Maxima though and will everytime is the handing capabilities. And thsi si speaking a stock vs stock. BMW were made to handle on a road race track. No questions asked. My BMW is an older one and it outhandles my maxima any day of the week. No putting the maxima down at all in this aspect but ya just cant compare the two as far as handling. Well that was my 2 cents fer the week.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:26 PM

Well said! Well said! And I agree with you 100%. However people all over are trying to compete to the BMW Performance standerd. Volks, Audi, Benz, Nissan, Toyota, just to name a few. If you ask me they are both fine cars. But Today everyone is being very competitive. So I guess comparisons will be expected.

Originally posted by desertmaxima
Now here is my 2 cents on the bimmer vs maxima. I happen to be an owner of both. Dont get me wrong I love my maxima to death and will never sell the thing as many times as I have been told too. I also own a 90 E30 325 and I am in germany right nopw and have had the oppurtunity to work on some really nice Bimmers such as a M5 an M3 and some 330s. Its been really neat here as far as german mechanicla stuff. Now in comparison the Turboed BMW motor if done right can make some nice power. But that is if done right. You will be spending more than ya thought trying to fine tune a BMW motor for boost. They honestly were not made for that at all. I prefer SC BMW motors myself. I had a buddy who had a Turboed M3 an unknowingly was running real close to that good ole lean/ detonation area. And he had it done pretty good professional. had the bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors. Reprog chip, The works. But when he dynoed he was only making about 280 or so at 12psi. Not very amazing for such a powerful engine. Now as far as power to power, from what i have seena Turbo maxima and a Turbo BMW(if done right) are about even if ya are going stock internals vs stock internals. The thing that edges out the Maxima though and will everytime is the handing capabilities. And thsi si speaking a stock vs stock. BMW were made to handle on a road race track. No questions asked. My BMW is an older one and it outhandles my maxima any day of the week. No putting the maxima down at all in this aspect but ya just cant compare the two as far as handling. Well that was my 2 cents fer the week.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by rocktboy

yeah those numbers are very, very impressive with stock internals. BUT the thing is just a dyno queen that's all.
400+hp gain between 3500-5000rpm, that translates to ZERO drivability there are no street tires that won't go up in smoke when you are accelerating in that range.
sure max hp numbers are fun but it takes real tuning to achieve linearity of the powerband. [/B]
I would love to have a car that undriveable.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I would love to have a car that undriveable.
I second this!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM

I second this!!!

Why though what would be the point at all. Cause you would have spent all that money on the motor and not be able to enjoy it unless it was on the dyno rollers. then what would the point be at all. My biggest dream for a all powerful streat car is a 600 hp 300zx. But I would also do the whole suspension so it can handle this setup.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Because even though you could light up the tires from a stop or a slow roll, just imagine what the pull is like when you are in ANY gear and stomp on it from a roll or highway.

Why? Because they can is probably the best reason. Toyota Supra motors are just that good.

Why though what would be the point at all. Cause you would have spent all that money on the motor and not be able to enjoy it unless it was on the dyno rollers. then what would the point be at all. My biggest dream for a all powerful streat car is a 600 hp 300zx. But I would also do the whole suspension so it can handle this setup.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:00 PM

Why though what would be the point at all. Cause you would have spent all that money on the motor and not be able to enjoy it unless it was on the dyno rollers. then what would the point be at all.
I don't get it. Tell me again why I wouldn't enjoy having more power than I can use?
Old 03-03-2003, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I don't get it. Tell me again why I wouldn't enjoy having more power than I can use?

Being able to kick out your back end at any point is cool.

Supras are just nice cars, thats all.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Blu
the tits

man supras are awesome machines but no matter if they got 500-1000 whp there in the 10's
Old 03-13-2003, 07:34 PM

If there was anyone who could gain the huevos to build the bottom end of the VQ, I bet you can push 20+PSI no problem.. Does that sound possible at all?

I know theres a VE pushing 25PSi and his all good
Old 03-17-2003, 10:05 PM

our block will only handle 500 hp which mean around 13 to 16 psi perfectly tunned so u would have to do alot more then just build a bottom end u would have to build a whole new freaken engine