Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Supercharged/Turbocharged (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged-38/)
-   -   Let the donkey-pumping commence! (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged/251057-let-donkey-pumping-commence.html)

hlh0501 09-17-2004 08:50 PM

Let the donkey-pumping commence!

http://www.fastmaxima.com/tmp/HLH%20turbo%20motor.jpg

It started tonight... (after crazynesS)
have to button up a couple things tomorrow and it's muleskinnin time!

stephenlc 09-17-2004 09:11 PM

sweet, damn you and your teaser pic.

desertmaxima 09-17-2004 10:54 PM

Is that with your new feed pipe and downpipe you were getting made

matty 09-17-2004 11:16 PM

Looks like the Turbo is sittin on the pass side of the engine bay cause that looks like the left side headlamp and the ps cooler lines..?? hmmmm...More Info

-matt

DCM Maxima 09-18-2004 12:57 AM

That look tight nice job cant wait to see the finished product.

stephenlc 09-18-2004 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by matty
Looks like the Turbo is sittin on the pass side of the engine bay cause that looks like the left side headlamp and the ps cooler lines..?? hmmmm...More Info

-matt

ya compresor is on passanger side, I wonder why he did that?

CullenJ76 09-18-2004 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hlh0501
http://www.fastmaxima.com/tmp/HLH%20turbo%20motor.jpg

It started tonight... (after crazynesS)
have to button up a couple things tomorrow and it's muleskinnin time!

'Bout time Hal :rollsmile

radiator? :hide: hehe

Tatanko 09-18-2004 07:58 AM

Nice headlight :thumbsup:

Errr, wait...this is about the turbo :p

Can't wait to see more, Hal!

JSutter 09-18-2004 08:10 AM

is that the radiator you are going to use? it looks 1/2 the size of stock, is it gunna handle the power? Oh who am I kinding you know what yo are doing! Keep going.

pimpjuice 09-18-2004 10:01 AM

Hal,

Are your exhaust pipes equal length from the manifolds to the turbo?

stephenlc 09-18-2004 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
is that the radiator you are going to use? it looks 1/2 the size of stock, is it gunna handle the power? Oh who am I kinding you know what yo are doing! Keep going.

Looks like AC compressor to me.

DA-MAX 09-18-2004 01:20 PM

Nice... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hlh0501 09-18-2004 01:46 PM

Well, I brought her home!!
The car is wicked when I could get a clean pull on it... I am very excited :ben:

It needs a LOT of tuning... for example, it's presently running 19psi @ <9:1 af, so it is loading up real bad then bucking and backfiring.

Yes, I mounted the turbo on the passenger side.
I ran seperated, as-close-to-equal-length-pipes as we could fit, and mounted it on the passenger side (to reduce pipe length and the turn). (100% stock ground clearance)
It's a large turbo, and still with the short pipes and ball-bearing combined - lag is a pain!

How I fit it? No AC condensor, custom radiator, and lots of fab. Radiator is double thickness, and aluminum :) so far it has done well; it is rather warm today, and I've driven it in traffic, and let it idle about 25minutes and the needle never moved from the middle position.

all exhaust piping is SS; all IC piping is aluminum.

more pics:
http://www.fastmaxima.com/tmp/HLH%20front.jpg

http://www.fastmaxima.com/tmp/HLH%20engine.jpg

Tatanko 09-18-2004 02:11 PM

Sweet :thumbsup:

nostrixoxide 09-18-2004 03:18 PM

hlh0501,

Hi, I just had a quick question about your turbo location. I'm wondering with that much cool air being able to circulate around your turbo if your worried about the possiblity of any kind of cracking?

stephenlc 09-18-2004 03:19 PM

this could work for autos and manual transmissions? Looks like it to me.

MardiGrasMax 09-18-2004 05:04 PM

Looks sweet!

papasmurf 09-18-2004 07:51 PM

Hal this is an awsome, I like the placement. This makes a lot of room for other things. So you say its running good? When does the turbo spool up, and how big did you go on the turbo. I cant wait to see more pics and more of a write up unless there is one and I just missed us.

Bruce

VQ30DES 09-18-2004 08:25 PM

What size turbo are you using, and you said your running 19psi!!! What kind of internals you got going on, and how much power are you aiming for?

nateplaysbass 09-19-2004 12:59 AM

HOLY SH!T 19 PSI! :drool: :bowdown:

Nate

IceY2K1 09-19-2004 01:26 AM

Integrated external wastegate like ATP does on the EVOVIII, VERY very nice.

Is that a divided turbine housing?

If you would have chose a vertical flow intercooler, I'd have thought you were reading my mind.:nervous:

:bowdown:

stephenlc 09-19-2004 04:13 AM

[QUOTE=IceY2K1]Integrated external wastegate like ATP does on the EVOVIII, VERY very nice.

Is that a divided turbine housing?

If you would have chose a vertical flow intercooler, I'd have thought you were reading my mind.:nervous:

[QUOTE]

why would he need to run vertical flow? The compresor is right there and he can use a side flow with like 2 bends and then use like cold air intake piping down to the exit of the intercooler. But I am guess I am thinking about vertical flow with endtanks on the same side like on SX7R's car.

Oh yeah hal face the turbo towards the incoming air, haha ram air effect. :thumbsup:

Looks like you could keep the battery in the engine bay also.

nostrixoxide 09-19-2004 08:04 AM

SpanishRice,
Oh yeah hal face the turbo towards the incoming air, haha ram air effect. :thumbsup:QUOTE]

I understand that lowering the overall tempature of the actual turbo itself will increase effientcy by generating less heat. But with as much cool air as his turbo is gonna see being mounted in that location, is this going to cause any premature damage say to any of the flanges, etc. It's been a general rule of thumb that usually when anything gets super hot & cools to quickly that cracking, warping, etc can occur. I'm alittle new when it comes to turbo systems & I've never heard of turbo housing cracking or anything like that, but is this a worry for him at all? Thanks!!!

BlackBIRDVQ 09-19-2004 08:51 AM

Hal, is this the turbo Y you where talking bout selling to us guys ? Or is there another one that will allow ya to keep the stock radiator and AC ? I use my car for daily driving, and AC is nice to have. Did you use a Fluidyne Civic radiator ? Pusher AND puller fans ? technically with some custom lines you could still mount a 95 Civic condenser infront of that small radiator, but then you are limiting fresh air flow over the radiator..... I like this setup, but if thats what it takes to run low 11s and still drive home from the strip, I will get a beater daily driver :) Setup looks insane, what are the specs on the turbo ? I like your air filter on the compressor :) Is that a 45mm TiAL waste gate ? hard to see in the pictures.

pimpjuice 09-19-2004 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide

I understand that lowering the overall tempature of the actual turbo itself will increase effientcy by generating less heat.

It is actually more efficient for the turbo and exhaust to stay hot. Intake temps are a different story.

nostrixoxide 09-19-2004 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
It is actually more efficient for the turbo and exhaust to stay hot. Intake temps are a different story.

Thanks juice, looks like I got some more reading to do. I appriciate the reply.

Sean97SE 09-19-2004 02:07 PM

It needs a LOT of tuning... for example, it's presently running 19psi @ <9:1 af, so it is loading up real bad then bucking and backfiring.

Built motor hal? Or are you still pushing the limits?

stephenlc 09-19-2004 02:34 PM

Hal get back to us. Haha, he probally having too much fun.

nateplaysbass 09-19-2004 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sean97SE
Built motor hal? Or are you still pushing the limits?

I think it's stock, from what he's saying in some of the other threads, he's trying to push the stock envelope with an apropriate tune.

Nate

Redmax 09-19-2004 10:07 PM

19 psi what size injectors you have?

hlh0501 09-20-2004 07:41 AM

yep, still a stock motor. I have boost set around 12-14psi now. I don't think I'll go much higher on pump gas until I get meth functioning properly.

Well, after about 4-5hours of tuning, it's still a mess. I have a rough tune, good enough to drive around on and hammer a little, but 3,4,5 gears all load up waaay too much fuel on the top side, to the point it wont drive. So, I made a lot of changes to the precision of my maps last night, and will be spending a few more hours out tonight in hopes of double digit AF!

When it is not loading up insanely bad, it's nasty - so far I am very happy with the setup.

This is not the turbo feedpipe that will be produced. That pipe will be more similar to my old setup, allowing people to retain AC , radiator, ETC.

I drove the car 2 hours last night back to school so I could tune more this week and get some other stuff functioning properly. No signs of cracking etc from the turbo/etc from temp difference. My new IC+pipes combined with cold air coming to the turbo makes for a nice charge.

oh and it's not lagging as bad as I thought. The terrible AF's along with MEVI being locked-ON-always, was giving me the impression of lag till 5000+; watching the boost gauge with a better midrange tune proves it's spooling MUCH earlier.

OH, I do have one question. I have put in two sets of plugs so far, BKR7's and BKR6's... gapped at .24 and .20 now, and I'm still blowing out spark. Would this be a side effect of excess fuel loading up? I'm hoping so.

Matt93SE 09-20-2004 08:05 AM

with your AFR that low, I wouldn't be surprised if it was killing the spark. pull a little fuel out of it and see what happens. you've obviously go a lot of room to play with the fuel before it gets dangerous..

have you upgraded the ignition yet? I'm not too familiar with your setup, only reputation. If you're still running the factory multi-coils, you would probably be a lot better off if you switched to an aftermarket such as jacobs or MSD DIS stuff. that should help make sure the plugs are firing, even when you're uber-rich like you are now.

hlh0501 09-20-2004 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
with your AFR that low, I wouldn't be surprised if it was killing the spark.

have you upgraded the ignition yet?

I hope so! I've been trying to pull fuel, it's not been an easy job.

I am running stock ignition, which had no problems with my old setup - but I was relying more on nitrous and less on turbo airflow. I was thinking now with considerably more airflow, it's possibly blowing spark out... but I'll stick with the richness killing it theory until I get a good tune and find out! New ignition would be nice, but after paying my labor bill for welding day before yesterday - I had to start selling my body again.

Prodeje79 09-20-2004 09:02 AM

awesome!

Please give me a call if you pass through Columbus so I can take a ride. 8)

MardiGrasMax 09-20-2004 09:13 AM

AFR for sure. But, I pulled my J&S and noticed I got some stubling up top. When I put it back it went away. J&S sets the dwell very high to recharge the coils. .025 BKR6

pawnstar12 09-20-2004 10:37 AM

yep, still a stock motor. I have boost set around 12-14psi now.

Yeah push Motha F@@kin envelope. im 6 months right behind you man

Royal_T 09-20-2004 12:01 PM

how is the production of the turbo feedpipe coming along. I'm still intersted but remember i have a T04E divided turbine housing. Hal just let me know and good luck on your car.

hlh0501 09-20-2004 11:35 PM

Update for anyone who cares:

Spent a few more hours tuning tonight, and finally got it at a steady ~11.8:1af from 4000-6500rpm under boost. No more blown out spark problem with BKR6E's gapped to 21 and the new tune. I know butt dyno isn't accurate so I won't make a guess at power haha, but it feels GREAT! I am verry happy with it. My friend (helped tune) and I are in agreement that it is going to be downright scary once I up the boost or spray (which I will be doing both). I had forgotten how FWD gets squirly with power even at 100+. I made multiple 4th and 5th gear pulls tonight (only way we could tune as the other gears wound out too fast), and 130 came WAY faster than expected. It's pretty nasty as is, I am happy with the upgrade.

I found out my pressure switch for MEVI has failed, it is allowing some vacuum to creep by... so my MEVI is always open right now. I have to get a new one and throw it on - then it's off to the dyno (and/or maybe track) for baseline numbers

I did have something weird happen earlier, the car slowly started running more and more rich , even idling. It got to the point it was choking just sitting at a red light, AF dropped to 9:1 and eventually got to "TOO RICH" on the wideband. Cruising it would see 9.5:1. Under boost it was back in the 11's. After having big driveability problems, I tried resetting the ECU - no luck. Played with everything I could think of, no luck. I finally went into the software and told it I had 355cc injectors. Tada. 13.5af cruising, 13af idling. I am thinking my FMU (which is now 2 or 3:1, whatever the smallest disc is) got stuck boosting pressure? I forgot to look at my FP gauge, I'll check it in the morning on the way to class - but that is my bet.

meccanoble 09-20-2004 11:57 PM

nice update, cant wait to read more

pawnstar12 09-21-2004 05:03 AM

yeah man keep up the great work.....your like the Neil Armstrong of maximas!