Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

intake manifold idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

intake manifold idea

I figured I'd post this in here as well as there are a lot of knowledgable people when it comes to crazy stuff like this.

Ok, since it seems as though the Pathy manifold will be a bit of a hassle to make work correctly due to the height I figured it be easier and take less time to just do my own using some mandrel bends and steel pipe. This is basically what I have in my head at the moment. Does this design seem like it'd be worth my time making or do you guys thing it wouldn't perform all that great?

Any comments/suggestions/useful links/flaming/questions/etc will be helpful.

Note: this is using the Pathfinder lower intake since the ports are all circular and in a nice straight line. It will make getting a custom flange made much easier as well as having round pipe to match the round ports.

I'll try getting a side drawing of it but at the moment I'm having difficulties. Windows eats up memory so fast yet doesn't give any back when its done that I can't run PhotoDraw for more than 5-10 minutes it seems. ****ing gay *** ****ing Windows... - Microsoft
Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Its gonna be a while but I will eventually do something along these lines.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=369924
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Custom User Title

So what is the difference from this and the USIM?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 AM

this is my stock manifold setup:

the problem i'm having is the turbo is on the same side that the elbow is pointing and after i put the intercooler on i will need it to be the opposite. i'm hoping to also gain some flow as well since supposedly the pathfinder intake is the best flowing intake of the VG engines i'm kind of designing it after that.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The only thing I see "wrong" is that the plenum is the same size from the TB to the far end. OEMs shrink it down on the opposite end to help accelerate/force air to the last few runners, I think. At least look at the DEK manifold plenum shape. Just an idea, if you can do that.

So, you tried the PF upper/lower and it wouldn't clear the hood?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah, why not just the PF IM and TB? It points in the other direction.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by mtcookson
this is my stock manifold setup:

What I would do is cut that piece in half, rotate the bottom part and reweld.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 AM

i was thinking about that but then comes my next issue... the crappy dual throttle body setup. i basically have no way to upgrade to a larger one for more flow down the road when i start pushing a lot more power... i can't win

this is the throttle body (with the brown gasket on it):

Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Custom User Title

You could bore out that throttle body and make it a basic adapter plate, and attach a larger TB to the end of that "L" shaped elbow..
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 AM

The only thing I see "wrong" is that the plenum is the same size from the TB to the far end. OEMs shrink it down on the opposite end to help accelerate/force air to the last few runners, I think. At least look at the DEK manifold plenum shape. Just an idea, if you can do that.

So, you tried the PF upper/lower and it wouldn't clear the hood?
Yeah, why not just the PF IM and TB? It points in the other direction.
I most likely wouldn't make the plenum a full round pipe. I'd probably do some different sizing to make it flow better as you said.

The Pathfinder manifold, stock, is too tall for me to close the hood. I may go back to it and see what kind of modifying i can do to it to make it work. Being aluminum makes it hard for me to work on since I don't have the proper stuff to work on it with (like a tig welder and such).

You could bore out that throttle body and make it a basic adapter plate, and attach a larger TB to the end of that "L" shaped elbow..
That's an idea I also had... most likely that would be the route I'd take if I modified that elbow.

Anyone know a safe and easy way to bend aluminum (i.e. that Pathfinder manifold). I think if there was a way to bend the plenum and pipes downward a bit it would fit... but being aluminum I couldn't just heat it up and bend it like I could steel.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:48 PM

With all the stuff I've taken apart the last week or so I've been looking at the intake manifold prity hard. I know I can fabricate a adaptor plate to convert our duel blade into a large .70mm or so single.
There will be a manditory porting of where the EGR passage comes out there at the front of the manifold to make it more of a flat entry but it's definatly do-able with the stock intake. It doesn't have bad internal flow design but it's realy layed out over a large area with little benifit. Somthing like your drawing would be a good solution but it'd have to be prity damn flat to fit under out hoods. I'd be interested in looking at the pathfinder manifold to see what I could come up with for a plenum. I can make somthing out of steel for sure. Or I could get the welder fixed up for allum.
I can modify your elbow like I did mine for now and you can go Intercooled. You'd have under 50.00 in doing that.
I have a spair here if you want me to cut and weld that up to make it point towards the pass. side for a inlet pipe then send me yours so I have another core. Or if I ever wanted to put my parts car back together.
~Scott
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 PM

hmm........ if you'd be willing to do that i'd settle with that setup for while.

down the road i'd probably mess with something that'd flow a bit better (not that these flow terribly bad or anything.)

i can paypal you the money.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 AM

I'll cut the other core I have apart this coming week and send it up to my friend Brent nad have it welded.
Mail me with your address so I can send it out to you.
Do you have your intercooler ready?
~Scott
Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM

pretty much, i have all of the pipes, couplers, clamps, and the intercooler sitting waiting for me to put them in. finally got some argon/c02 for my welder so i'm pretty much set to put it all together.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Sweet... I'll get on that piece....
Send me your address..!!!!!!!!!
Scott~