Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

wow Stock ECU outperforms JWT ECU...AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

wow Stock ECU outperforms JWT ECU...AGAIN

wow, so basically i went with a new setup. 550cc Nismo injectors, Z32 MAF, and sent the ECU to JWT to have them retune it with stock ignition timing, whatever their turbo program involves, and requested 11:1 or 11:5 A/F. Dont remmeber.

So.....I kept running into detonation when going into boost and acccording to my cheapo Apexi tap into stock O2 sensor gauge it kept running lean under boost. gauge would read 20:1. It would also run really crappy under part throttle, as soon as the car started to boost.

I decided to switch to the stock ECU and see what would happen...WOW...runs smooth at part throttle, no detonation anymore, and my Apexi thingie was reading around 13:1-11:1 under boost.

this is on a temp stock VQ30 motor running .6bar. Im sure once JWT finds out about this thread they will be uber mads at me again. For those that dont rmemeber I had a simlar problem like this years ago with a JWT ECU vs stock ECU. I kno the Apexi gauge isnt the best way to judge A/F but the detonation going away and part throttle hesitation is undeniable.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 PM
SLOW

It seems that way for everyone these days with turbos and jwt ecus.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 AM
faster than you think

Sell it while you can. Let some NA noob buy it and make them get it reprogramed for the NA program.

Kevlo911
Old 03-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

it seems the only way to get a good tune through them is to bring your car to them. other wise their cookie cutter map is not going to cut it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JSutter
it seems the only way to get a good tune through them is to bring your car to them. other wise their cookie cutter map is not going to cut it.

He took his car to them and had them tune it before....Even i had issues with JWT.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
wow, so basically i went with a new setup. 550cc Nismo injectors, Z32 MAF, and sent the ECU to JWT to have them retune it with stock ignition timing, whatever their turbo program involves, and requested 11:1 or 11:5 A/F. Dont remmeber.

So.....I kept running into detonation when going into boost and acccording to my cheapo Apexi tap into stock O2 sensor gauge it kept running lean under boost. gauge would read 20:1. It would also run really crappy under part throttle, as soon as the car started to boost.

I decided to switch to the stock ECU and see what would happen...WOW...runs smooth at part throttle, no detonation anymore, and my Apexi thingie was reading around 13:1-11:1 under boost.

this is on a temp stock VQ30 motor running .6bar. Im sure once JWT finds out about this thread they will be uber mads at me again. For those that dont rmemeber I had a simlar problem like this years ago with a JWT ECU vs stock ECU. I kno the Apexi gauge isnt the best way to judge A/F but the detonation going away and part throttle hesitation is undeniable.
As I said before, Jwt is a big business with R & D like the new twin turbo, manufacturing, sales, and tuning race cars. They really only can do a cookie cutter approach to tuning by mail because there are so many cars to deal with. Don't forget they make parts for other cars than just maximas and infinitis. Their garage space is very small and there is room for 2 cars at a time and one car ties up the lift for weeks when they are developing a project.
Because of the above issues they really don't have much time for in house tuning but, they will do this for guys that have interesting projects. Call and explain and if they feel they can help they will schedule you but it may take a while for an appointment. They are really no nonsense type of people and they don't want a lot of young guys coming in asking to make their cars go faster and not really understanding or caring what's involved time and money wise! As you very well know from this website only a hand few really are sophisticated enough to get involved with engine building and tuning and these guys, you know who you are, can get help from them eventually. Also, unless you have a dedicated race car they are conservative tuners and won't set your computer at the edge because they go for daily reliability and don't want any headaches with blown engines.

I'm not an apoligist for them I just get tired of seeing all the unwarranted complaining about their company!
By the way I am not disrespecting any particular members, these are just my observations.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:46 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by i30krab
As I said before, Jwt is a big business with R & D like the new twin turbo, manufacturing, sales, and tuning race cars. They really only can do a cookie cutter approach to tuning by mail because there are so many cars to deal with. Don't forget they make parts for other cars than just maximas and infinitis. Their garage space is very small and there is room for 2 cars at a time and one car ties up the lift for weeks when they are developing a project.
This is a JWT problem, not a customer problem. If you can't do what you advertise, stop selling the product.

Because of the above issues they really don't have much time for in house tuning but, they will do this for guys that have interesting projects. Call and explain and if they feel they can help they will schedule you but it may take a while for an appointment. They are really no nonsense type of people and they don't want a lot of young guys coming in asking to make their cars go faster and not really understanding or caring what's involved time and money wise! As you very well know from this website only a hand few really are sophisticated enough to get involved with engine building and tuning and these guys, you know who you are, can get help from them eventually. Also, unless you have a dedicated race car they are conservative tuners and won't set your computer at the edge because they go for daily reliability and don't want any headaches with blown engines.
Detonation= motor go boom.... if it were ~10:1 I think most of us would be happy.

I'm not an apoligist for them I just get tired of seeing all the unwarranted complaining about their company!
By the way I am not disrespecting any particular members, these are just my observations.

I just remember a thread where turtle man and his car were bashed by Jim Wolf (IIRC) and another guy.

This is not a 2 person problem. This is a known issue and members of this forum spend MONEY and time trying to talk to JWT to correct it. If they don't want to have a working product, stop selling it.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:34 PM

I thought the turtle had a problem with the way the turbo feed pipe was run and this was the cause of the detonation in the original setup?

My current JWT ECU is pretty darn good. Now the turn around time is taking a while in the new version with fine tuning against my datalogs. But as Ron pointed out they have allot of other things on their plate. JWT is a buisness, and my $100 retune isnt exactly big money to them.

Two identically prepared cars will require different chip tunes. Unless you by a package kit where all the parts are known to the tuner, you will get a conservative tune. I see this in the other tuner forums too, mitsu's etc.

Did JWT offer their turbo/sc ECU to us or did we ask them to do it for us?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
SLOW

Cookie cutter tunes are one thing, really bad cookie cutter tunes are another thing entirely. They KNOW that 10 degrees of advance across the board is total nonsense, any tuner knows that, they just don't care enough to change it. Like you said the maxima tuning community is small enough that it does them no good to make a great tune for the car, especially now that they have such a poor reputation among maxima owners (forced induction ones in particular), because there are so few people to buy it anyways to make it worthwhile to them. It makes more sense to them to spend 5 seconds making a very simple crappy tune that is safe so that they don't get blamed for blown motors, than to put in the hours of effort to make a GOOD tune - heck even an "OK" tune - which is still perfectly safe.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 PM

I may not be turbo but after taking 10 weeks to do the ECU for 1999 after the run around was horrible. Then i picked up 0 hp on the dyno. I am NA ofcourse but my disappointment in JWT is great. Considering iPaid $650 for just a program and to get 0 gain. Needless to say I sent it back and they retuned it not sure what the gains would have been after that but i didn't care and I sold it. Jim Wolf even called me himself saying they needed data logs and dyno after i sent it back. All of which i provided.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Blu
the tits

They probably don't give you any problems because you have spent thousands of dollars with them and they will tell you what you want to hear because of it. You are the only one that seems to want to stick up for that POS of a company. And before you try to fire back at me, I've given them mutiple opportunities and they just couldn't do anything right for my car. There progs for SC and turbo programs with anything other than 370cc injectors are complete crap.

I gave them 2 opportunities to get my SC program right with 615cc, z32 maf etc etc and the car wouldn't even run when I got the ECU back. I even sent them my injectors to flow to make sure the flow ratings I gave them where 100% accurate in which they where. They tell me their "fantasy" test car with the same exact setup run perfect. I get the ECU back and my car wont even idle unless I pedal it and keep it idling. I try to drive the car and went WOT a couple times and the car detonated and felt slower than it did NA.

Now this is funny. I ask if they are getting any codes in this mysterious 5 speed test car of theirs and they say "no none at all". Then I proceed to ask "if you ran an Auto ECU in a 5 speed car wouldn't you have a code 24/7?" Jim proceeds to go ask his "guys" because he wasn't sure and says yes if you where to do something STUPID like that you would have a code all the time but they say the car will run fine. Well guess what? My ECU was an Auto ECU and mysteriously in their 5 speed test car it didn't throw a code . Sorry bastards had nothing else to say and I just said send me the POS back you are just wasting my shipping money.

Mine as well as dozens of other boosted cars have had nothing but problems with JWT boosted programs. They have the most rude customer service I have ever heard and they aren't helpful at all and don't seem to know WTF they are talking about half the time. One thing I have learned from them is its your car thats the problem not their programming.

/rant off
Old 03-26-2006, 05:53 PM
VQ Wizard

<~~~ JWT Hater since 1995

I guess everyone has to learn this lesson for themselves.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:14 PM

I had a talk with JWT when I was getting a turbo ecu reprogrammed to NA. They were really quick to get defensive and blame the turbo cars for the Hp loss issues. They kept talking about how great their program is... It was hard to keep my mouth shut and not laugh at the BS they were trying to feed me. But for NA purposes, the jwt works well in my 95. I know if I go boosted, it will be on the stock ecu though.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 PM

I repeat, I'm not an apologist for JWT!! Everyone has had their own experiences with them and I respect what you say. The real problem is there is very little aftermarket support for our 3.0 L cars unlike honda or mustang . I have a very difficult time getting anyone to work on my car in vegas and it's aggravating!! I open my hood and they all say " I can't touch your car because it is modified". When I do get a lead for a knowledgeable mechanic 99% of the time they say " sorry we only work on domestic car".
I find this a very sad state of affairs and it ain't going to get any better for
4TH gen cars.
Unless you can work on your own cars and understand tuning, most of us are relegated to simple bolt ons and go fast lights and body kits!!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

well my problem is not that its a conservative tune. I cant even drive the car normal rite now.
My prob rite now is i dont have a wideband but a cheapy tap into the stock O2 sensor A/F gauge. I kno that its not accurate and I will have a wideband in soon and im sure with the wideband itll show super lean when i go into boost. I guess ill wait till the wideband is in and do some datalogging to send back to JWT. Hopefully they will retune this free of charge.

And like i said, when i put the stock ECU in, the part throttle hesitation AND detonation went away. I wouldnt mind a conservative tune, but this is far from it.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 AM

why not go through technosquare? are they unable to offer the same services?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:09 AM
VQ Wizard

I repeat, I'm not an apologist for JWT!! Everyone has had their own experiences with them and I respect what you say. The real problem is there is very little aftermarket support for our 3.0 L cars unlike honda or mustang . I have a very difficult time getting anyone to work on my car in vegas and it's aggravating!! I open my hood and they all say " I can't touch your car because it is modified". When I do get a lead for a knowledgeable mechanic 99% of the time they say " sorry we only work on domestic car".
I find this a very sad state of affairs and it ain't going to get any better for
4TH gen cars.
Unless you can work on your own cars and understand tuning, most of us are relegated to simple bolt ons and go fast lights and body kits!!

SSR opened a new shop in Pheonix

http://www.ssr-engineering.com/
Old 03-27-2006, 08:38 AM
The Definitive AE Master

They offer the same services, but no rev limit increase. Matthel, I'm sure you can get a hook up through Cheston
Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Yeah I dont like JWT either because I heard they set boosted ecu timing to like 10 degrees
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by Turbo95Max
well my problem is not that its a conservative tune. I cant even drive the car normal rite now.
My prob rite now is i dont have a wideband but a cheapy tap into the stock O2 sensor A/F gauge. I kno that its not accurate and I will have a wideband in soon and im sure with the wideband itll show super lean when i go into boost. I guess ill wait till the wideband is in and do some datalogging to send back to JWT. Hopefully they will retune this free of charge.

And like i said, when i put the stock ECU in, the part throttle hesitation AND detonation went away. I wouldnt mind a conservative tune, but this is far from it.
You would also need to datalog your timing and send that to them as well.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 PM

The only good thing about JWT is the extended rev limiter, that's it.

Their prices are so high you can get a EU for close to that.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
The only good thing about JWT is the extended rev limiter, that's it.

Their prices are so high you can get a EU for close to that.
alot of us are having problems with our eu's at the moment. especially 5th gens
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I was quite happy with my JWT ecu. My setup made good power (369 hp SCed), and I never had to worry about losing an engine from detonation. To me that counts for a lot. Before I got the JWT tune, my engine detonated pretty badly when boosting over 10 psi. Yes, a J&S Safeguard would have solved that problem, too, but I really liked having the 7200 rpm rev limit.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I was quite happy with my JWT ecu. My setup made good power (369 hp SCed), and I never had to worry about losing an engine from detonation. To me that counts for a lot. Before I got the JWT tune, my engine detonated pretty badly when boosting over 10 psi. Yes, a J&S Safeguard would have solved that problem, too, but I really liked having the 7200 rpm rev limit.
My setup ran great with the 370cc program also, it wasn't until I tried to upgrade to the 615cc program when all he11 broke loose.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What??????

Originally Posted by mingo
alot of us are having problems with our eu's at the moment. especially 5th gens
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Stephen Max

I'm curious if you've ever logged timing with your JWT ECU? As you said you made good - even great power with your JWT ECU, and yet others have made total CRAP power, I'm sure you've seen mikes dynos, and Mardigras' datalogs of his whopping 10 degrees of advance, and many have had severe driveability problems (Mike, Matt, Matthel, Boris, etc etc etc). Obviously the common link here is that they are all using larger than 370cc injectors.

My thinking is that possibly JWT is still keeping the timing at a decent amount of advance with the 370cc/z32 maf program, but that their other programs are the ones with problems (the ones using even larger injectors).

For the record I was very happy with my NA 7200rpm rev limit program - after the 12 weeks it took to get it
Old 03-30-2006, 12:19 PM

The driveability with my current JWT 740cc injector program is actually perfect and like stock. Clod start and run is fine, she idles smooth as silk.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What's your maximum injector duty cycle at with those hugh injectors, Matt? I use 720cc injectors, but only 4 of them.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Blu - Did you have a Z32 MAF on both programs?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM

Until you toss that gay stock turbo, you need to shud it.

Originally Posted by Y2KevSE
What's your maximum injector duty cycle at with those hugh injectors, Matt? I use 720cc injectors, but only 4 of them.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
The driveability with my current JWT 740cc injector program is actually perfect and like stock. Clod start and run is fine, she idles smooth as silk.

I wasn't suggesting that your driveability was poor, I was only talking about the 10 degrees of advance you datalogged. When I said Matt I was talking about Blu. His driveability was crap.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Until you toss that gay stock turbo, you need to shud it.
If you only knew what's been ordered...
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

gt35r!!! am i right?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
What??????
ok maybe just me then..
Old 03-30-2006, 06:29 PM

I remember you were having issues...bump the thread again and keep asking what you should try next.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:34 PM

Kev at 1.5bar boost i have been seeing 85-90% DC.

Gotcha Neal.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Kev at 1.5bar boost i have been seeing 85-90% DC.
Woah... 1.5 bar with a large turbo.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I'm curious if you've ever logged timing with your JWT ECU? As you said you made good - even great power with your JWT ECU, and yet others have made total CRAP power, I'm sure you've seen mikes dynos, and Mardigras' datalogs of his whopping 10 degrees of advance, and many have had severe driveability problems (Mike, Matt, Matthel, Boris, etc etc etc). Obviously the common link here is that they are all using larger than 370cc injectors.

My thinking is that possibly JWT is still keeping the timing at a decent amount of advance with the 370cc/z32 maf program, but that their other programs are the ones with problems (the ones using even larger injectors).

For the record I was very happy with my NA 7200rpm rev limit program - after the 12 weeks it took to get it
I have never logged timing. I can feel it pulling timing if I depress the accelerator pedal far enough to get into open loop above 4 krpm or so. Driveability is excellent, though.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM
SLOW

Do you have an OBD-2 scanner that it would be possible to datalog timing with some time? I'm curious to see if and how your timing differs from those who had problems with their JWT boosted ECUs.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Do you have an OBD-2 scanner that it would be possible to datalog timing with some time? I'm curious to see if and how your timing differs from those who had problems with their JWT boosted ECUs.
Sorry, Neal, I sure don't.

Quick Reply: wow Stock ECU outperforms JWT ECU...AGAIN