Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Supercharged/Turbocharged (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged-38/)
-   -   Sleeper mod for turbocharged cars (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged/348998-sleeper-mod-turbocharged-cars.html)

spdfreak 04-05-2006 11:19 AM

Sleeper mod for turbocharged cars

I was looking around s40concepts.net for a power upgrade for my friends 2001 Volvo S40 1.9T ("t" for turbo "duh") and stumbled apon a great mod for turbocharged cars..

Heres the link..Let me know what you think about it, and whos the cheapest seller.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

JdoubleOe703 04-05-2006 11:31 AM

i believe chrissmax had one... maybe he can help

ewuzh 04-05-2006 11:42 AM

Cutouts have been around for a while. Some are boost activated and some can be manually/electronically activated. Sounds like all hell has frozen over when it's open since you bypass the cat/resonators/muffer basically like running open headers. You get a power increase, but I would rather have a larger diameter exhaust all the way through and keep things quieter.

Brad92SE 04-05-2006 01:05 PM

I paid less than half that price for mine, and it's fully controllable. I don't like the idea of that thing opening up when you just wanna stay quiet yet still have boost. One of the biggest points to having a cutout on a turbo car is to spool quicker, and that thing defeats that purpose, since it only opens when you are already boosting. :confused:

chris'smax 04-05-2006 04:22 PM

I have this cuttout and it is controlled by a boost controller. It is activated by a actuator that has a spring in it set to be open a 5psi. You can then use the boost controller to up the setting or completely shut it off.

I love the way my car sounds when it opens up and i am stickler for exhaust noise:)

Nealoc187 04-05-2006 04:57 PM

Yeah I definately wouldn't use a boost controlled cutout personally. What happens when you want to boost a little bit just for fun but you don't want the cutout to open up the gates of hell? Gotta change it's setting, then change it back later, etc. I'll take one with a simple, single switch so that I can open it when I need, and close it when I want.

mtcookson 04-06-2006 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
I paid less than half that price for mine, and it's fully controllable. I don't like the idea of that thing opening up when you just wanna stay quiet yet still have boost. One of the biggest points to having a cutout on a turbo car is to spool quicker, and that thing defeats that purpose, since it only opens when you are already boosting. :confused:

My thoughts exactly. In my opinion, that boost activated one is a complete waste of money compared to the electric cutout... especially since the electric cutout is half as much.

With the electric cutout you can keep it quiet under boost or open it up before you even hit the throttle to lower the amount of lag, as Brad said.

Another problem with the ATP cutout is its setup to exit in a direct 90 degree angle. If you did a sort of "Y" pipe setup instead of a 90 that'd likely be some more power and quicker spooling yet again.

choray911 04-06-2006 01:53 PM

I tried to have the ATP cut out installed this week, but I didn't have enough clearance under the car. Now the plan is to cut a hole in the frame rail and the fender and have it in the down pipe, exiting infront of the drivers wheel.
As for the 90 degree dump, it really doesnt make that much difference. All you are trying to do is release the pressure in the exhaust pipe that way it flows better. When the cut out opens rather than having a 2.5", or 3" you have 6" worth of diameter to release the pressure. Course efficency will become more important as horsepower increases, however I seriously doubt our cars will get to that level of performance, a Supra would be a different story though.

chris'smax 04-06-2006 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by choray911
I tried to have the ATP cut out installed this week, but I didn't have enough clearance under the car. Now the plan is to cut a hole in the frame rail and the fender and have it in the down pipe, exiting infront of the drivers wheel.
As for the 90 degree dump, it really doesnt make that much difference. All you are trying to do is release the pressure in the exhaust pipe that way it flows better. When the cut out opens rather than having a 2.5", or 3" you have 6" worth of diameter to release the pressure. Course efficency will become more important as horsepower increases, however I seriously doubt our cars will get to that level of performance, a Supra would be a different story though.

What? Mine fit no problem. Did they try to angle it down a little?

chris'smax 04-06-2006 02:09 PM

In my case the ATP is perfect since boost does not come on as quick as a turbo. So if i had the eletric cuttout and i was cruising w/ it open my car would pull like dog $hit until i got to around 6 psi where the 3" would be superior. With the ATP it pulls just as hard in lower rpm's as w/ the 2.5 and then when i hit around 4psi the car starts pulling way harder than it did before

spdfreak 04-10-2006 09:22 PM

I don't think that it would pay to have this with an aftermarket exhaust, but with headers, y-pipe and this contraption..stock cat-back.. the car would look and sound stock as far as exhaust is conserned..till the pedal is pushed too it limits..Thanx for the thoughts!

choray911 04-11-2006 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
What? Mine fit no problem. Did they try to angle it down a little?

In January I caught the exhaust on a water drain in a parking lot and I messed up the entire system. Up pipe, downpipe, 3" cat, 3" cat back, and the fuel tank were cashed. :banghead: The only things that lived were the turbo, the WG, and the muffler.
I need every bit of clearance I can get in this town. Our civil Engineers SUCK!
Plus this was one month after I finished putting the DEK in.
If its not one thing its another.
Choray

Charcoal95GXE 04-18-2006 08:26 AM

haha, every exhaust cut-out ive ever seen has been a piece of garbage. The only one i eveer found that didnt leak was the one that had to be opened manually with wingnuts.