Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Supercharged/Turbocharged (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged-38/)
-   -   Oil cooler on an SCed Maxima.... can we use our existing oil feed line? (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged/407838-oil-cooler-sced-maxima-can-we-use-our-existing-oil-feed-line.html)

JAY25 12-15-2007 11:24 AM

on that sandwich install Ptatoe, go to ace, get some adapters so you can get straight 90 degrees out of that fittting so your hose has more clearance and better flow! I am sorry I do not have a picture. Ill look for my oil cooler kit.

Have not been here much since net is down and will be moving to Tx to get certified. Also have moved on to RWD vehicle.

Jaime

matty 12-15-2007 07:15 PM

How would a 90 degree bend out of the fitting, Improve flow ??

His is pretty direct the way he has it

-matt

The Wizard 12-15-2007 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by matty (Post 6136886)
How would a 90 degree bend out of the fitting, Improve flow ??

His is pretty direct the way he has it

-matt

:sprint:

That's what I was thinking too....... same end result to me :gotme:

JAY25 12-16-2007 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 6136911)
:sprint:

That's what I was thinking too....... same end result to me :gotme:

Since I was very low to the ground the thick hoses almost touched the ground. Those high pressure hoses you cant bend much. But since his not lowered 2 inches he is fine.

secondtonone317 12-16-2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25 (Post 6137366)
Since I was very low to the ground the thick hoses almost touched the ground. Those high pressure hoses you cant bend much. But since his not lowered 2 inches he is fine.

awww man, there goes my dream, I dont think this will work for me being this low, I'll probably try it anyways. Any loss in oil pressure since this puts extra load on the oil pump?

Would it be possible to get those pictures larger? But thank you for the follow up.

ptatohed 12-16-2007 11:47 AM

:o)

Originally Posted by secondtonone317 (Post 6137385)
awww man, there goes my dream, I dont think this will work for me being this low, I'll probably try it anyways. Any loss in oil pressure since this puts extra load on the oil pump?

Would it be possible to get those pictures larger? But thank you for the follow up.

Jaime/secondtonone, I don't see how additional fittings would change anything. I still feel I found the best (and only?) route for the in/out hose fittings. And even if your car is lowered, I don't think (I hope?) you'll ever hit/scrape your oil lines. I have my lines zipped tied pretty tight up to the engine. Even the splash guard, once re-installed (not shown in pic.), is lower than the oil lines. And, in fact, the bottom of the oil pan is about equal with the oil lines. So, unless you are scraping your oil pan, I wouldn't worry about it.

secondtonone, I have already clearly stated that I can't drive the car yet. I don't know about oil pressure loss (nor will I probably know when I can drive the car as I do not have an oil pressure gauge). I have already clearly stated the the provided pics are thumbnails and just for quick reference. I provided the link to the full-size pics. ;o)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/...g?t=1197833629

matty 12-16-2007 11:50 AM

Can you check and see if a Mobil One filter fits onto the pancake threads

-matt

JAY25 12-17-2007 06:07 AM

Josh you got a good angle on that sandwich. Do not worry about it. You will be fine. I had some problems along with leaks. :)

The Wizard 12-17-2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by matty (Post 6137627)

-matt

See below. Unfortunately, Josh doesn't have a Mobil 1 filter lying around. I'm sure you can give you the part number of the Fram he put on, then you will be able to find the equivalent Mobil 1 filter.

Originally Posted by ptatohed (Post 6132615)

Verdict/comments: I feel good about the product. I feel really good about the install. It fits and looks nice. Of course I can't drive the car until my supercharger comes back in from service. I am a little bummed about one thing: the OEM oil filter does not fit anymore. It's not the size of the filter nor the thread size/pitch, it the fact that the female threads of the OEM filter are too deep in the filter. The male threads of the sandwich adapter are too short. I happened to have a Fram lying around which worked fine (forget to take a pic but you get the idea).

matty 12-17-2007 02:57 PM

I hate Fram Filters. You wont see me using Fram, thats why I kinda wanna know if Mobil one would fit.

-matt

The Wizard 12-17-2007 03:17 PM

My hunch says that a Mobil 1 filter will work. Why wouldn't it work? Size-wise, I would think some quick measurements should tell you if it fits with your setup or not. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always contact Permacool and ask if they are compatible....and if so, which ones. They might know.

JAY25 12-17-2007 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 6138848)
See below. Unfortunately, Josh doesn't have a Mobil 1 filter lying around. I'm sure you can give you the part number of the Fram he put on, then you will be able to find the equivalent Mobil 1 filter.

The M110 mobil one filter fits perfectly fine. That is also the filter that our Maximas use. Since I am working on alot of Hondas Ill check and see if the ones we are using on Accords and civics fit the permacool adapter. Hondas have water coolers so they use thicker diameter oil filters. On my 1994 Honda Civic Hatch daily driver when I rebuilt the motor I was very surprised to see that thick sandwich in the rear. This explains the reason why these motors outlast the 01 and below Nissan motors. 02 and above motors now have water lines running like Hondas. Quite a bit late if you ask me! But is never too late to improve.

ptatohed 12-17-2007 11:26 PM

:o)

Originally Posted by matty (Post 6137627)

-matt

No use of my name, no please, no thank you, you assume I have a Mobil 1 lying around, what is a pancake thread? :rotz: :confused:

The Fram filter (what's wrong with Fram anyway?) I have on there now is PH3593A. I had it in my garage so it's either for a Maxima (although it is wider than OEM) or it's for my SHO, I can't remember. It's 3" in diameter.

This is what I am thinking. You can use any filter you want as long as it doesn't exceed 3" in overall outer diameter, the female threaded hole of the filter is the same as our OEM (we got lucky there) which appears to be 3/4", the overall length doesn't rub the tire (duh) and..... this is key.......... the start of the threads on the threaded female hole in the filter is nearly flush with the rubber contact seal of the filter. Does that make sense? The reason the Nissan OEM filter (15208 9E000) doesn't work any more is because the first thread starts too deep in the filter. The threaded male rod of the sandwich adapter is shorter than OEM. Pardon my French but picture a guy with a small d!ck trying to f@ck an obese chick.

Big_E-Dog 12-18-2007 07:26 PM

is that adapter pate that your not using larger than the sandwhich if so wou wanna sell it to me....i got a big *** relocator i wanna use but it didnt come with that plate..

hit me up!

ptatohed 12-20-2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog (Post 6141499)
is that adapter pate that your not using larger than the sandwhich if so wou wanna sell it to me....i got a big *** relocator i wanna use but it didnt come with that plate..

hit me up!

Sure, as soon as I figure out what that plate is for, I'll consider selling. I suppose it's for use with a 3"+ diameter filter??

Big_E-Dog 12-20-2007 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed (Post 6144340)
Sure, as soon as I figure out what that plate is for, I'll consider selling. I suppose it's for use with a 3"+ diameter filter??

yeah i think that its for the blocks with the larger diameter filters, its like an adapter plate, but if ya slang it to me ill need that rubber washer as well

ptatohed 12-24-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog (Post 6144886)

yeah i think that its for the blocks with the larger diameter filters, its like an adapter plate, but if ya slang it to me ill need that rubber washer as well

No prob. E-Dog. But I am not a big fan of finding a box, packagaing it, going to the P.O. to mail it, etc. just for a few bucks. I see you are in San Diego - How about we plan on going to the S.D.S.U. Race Legal 1/8 mile track on a Fri./Sat. night sometime early next year and meet up?

Merry X-Mas Eve.

- Josh

ptatohed 12-24-2007 01:38 PM

Oh and regarding an update on the oil cooler - I have since received back my rebuilt SC, installed it and went for a drive. There really isn't anything to report obviously as the oil cooler wouldn't increase any (measurable) performance. But the car runs fine and no leeks. :)

I did have to add more oil than the standard 4.25 quarts. I think it was closer to 5 total quarts but let me confirm and I'll report back here.

Big_E-Dog 12-24-2007 01:43 PM

awwh **** i dodnt know that you were in daygo metting up will be fine, if i get my tranny in, just picked it up, start on it tonight just lemme kno when