Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Need Horsepower for 2014 3.5!

Old 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Need Horsepower for 2014 3.5!

First post other than my intro.

I just bought a 2014 Maxima 3.5 SV sport/tech package, got a great end of year deal last month. The stock 290 hp is fun but I need more. Looking for 300-350 horse or so. I will go the supercharger route if it can all be done for under 6k but I can't find any info or supercharger kits for the 2014. I imagine there is something for the 3.5 but my knowledge of superchargers and modding engines is limited.
If I can get 325+ hp without a supercharger kit ie-exhaust, intake, ect. please let me know what can be done. Again, last resort is supercharger. This car will not be raced on a track or street, needs to be street legal and if it all built so warranty won't be voided. I am open to advice. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Administrator

The last supercharger kit available was for the 2001 Maxima

Considering you have a CVT transmission, I would just enjoy the car as is and leave it alone. To make a lot more power, you're going to have to be a pioneer, as only a few basic bolt ons are available for your generation Maxima.

Look for a thread in the 7th gen forum by a guy named Ghozt, he recently turbo'd a 7th gen. He's the first to do it, and admittedly he said he did it "just to do it".
Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
The last supercharger kit available was for the 2001 Maxima

Considering you have a CVT transmission, I would just enjoy the car as is and leave it alone. To make a lot more power, you're going to have to be a pioneer, as only a few basic bolt ons are available for your generation Maxima.

Look for a thread in the 7th gen forum by a guy named Ghozt, he recently turbo'd a 7th gen. He's the first to do it, and admittedly he said he did it "just to do it".
Ahoy bucko, thanks for what I thought I was going to hear. I will look for Ghozt thread and see what they did. I can't even find a chip programmer for 2012 or above on Maxima's to finalize any mods so I guess I will be doing some Lewis and Clark work. I can find cold air intake and exhaust systems that will give 10-15 more HP maybe but that's just typical stuff. I don't mind the continuous tranny with the smart button disabled for full horsepower it really goes, a bit hesitant at lower speeds but great at highway speeds. I feel the tranny could easily take another 100 horse but I'm looking for only about half that.

If you come across any other basic power add-ons I didn't mention please let me know. I guess I will be investing in body and sound first.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 PM

CVT transmission goes BOOM
Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by george__
CVT transmission goes BOOM
Where is there a story that is factual about a cvt tranny going boom? I guess that's why Nissan extended the cvt warranty to 10 years/120k.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Altima coupe cvt and turbo kit tranny went boom,
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Max streets
Altima coupe cvt and turbo kit tranny went boom,
You saying it doesn't make it so. Maybe something like this that is actually factual. This person is actually driving a Altima with a turbo kit, cvt worked just fine.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 AM

Just enjoy the max.. Get something else as a toy and build it. Hate to say it, but the max is, and always will be a boat. Sure you could pump 500+ hp, it might go ok down the 1/4 or some highway pulls, but it will struggle on a track.

Thats what I did.. had a daily driver ****box and a weekend toy with enough power to put a few my frieds R33 GTR's to shame.. That way you can test and tweak it without breaking down on your way to work or something silly.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hybridtheory
Just enjoy the max.. Get something else as a toy and build it. Hate to say it, but the max is, and always will be a boat. Sure you could pump 500+ hp, it might go ok down the 1/4 or some highway pulls, but it will struggle on a track.

Thats what I did.. had a daily driver ****box and a weekend toy with enough power to put a few my frieds R33 GTR's to shame.. That way you can test and tweak it without breaking down on your way to work or something silly.
"This car will not be raced on a track"

I could care less if it struggled on a track, as stated in my original post it's not going to be raced.

Big difference between 300 something and 500 HP. If I wanted to race on a track I'd buy an actual race car.

Maxima is a boat? I think you fail to realize what "boat" means in automobile lingo. A boat is big, bulky and a gas hog, the Maxima is none of these. It's actually a small to mid-size sport sedan, not even in the full size class.

What is this fascination with GTRs? If I cared and could afford one I'd buy one and join that forum.

I'm probably one of the few here that's been at 200 mph + on the streets. Although it was on two wheels and called a GSXR 1000 it was the fastest I will ever go on street or track.

I just wanted my Maxima to have a little more power for fun, didn't want to enter NASCAR or be some quarter mile king or start a debate on what the cvt can or cannot handle because none of us know a thing about it.

Anyone with some realistic tips on getting the 2014 max and it's cvt which is the future some well needed horsepower please chime in. Don't need lectures or war stories of someone with a friend who knows a guy that has a GTR.

Sorry for being a Richard Head but just want a list of mods that could be done to the 2014. So far I have the Stillen catback, from what I'm hearing the y-pipe is worthless on the 14 sport but still researching. Have a oil cooler kit, lightweight pulley and CAI. But I imagine when I do the larger tires and wheels any gains in hp will be lost to that not to mention the swaybar and strut brace, and weight of the JL sub/amp system going in trunk.

Will start mod thread soon and hope to get some other gen 7 and 2014 max owners on board with uping the hp. Any reliable chips?

Last edited by gunnerT; 12-11-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Buy a G37
Buy a 370z
Buy a BMW 335i
Buy a Benz C350
Buy a Cadillac CTS (or the CTS-V)
Buy a GTR

Last edited by george__; 12-11-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Administrator

^

I see you found Ghozt's thread; beyond that the 7th gen guys aren't seeking substantial horsepower gains like you. Like I said before, you're going to have to be a pioneer.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 PM

^

I see you found Ghozt's thread; beyond that the 7th gen guys aren't seeking substantial horsepower gains like you. Like I said before, you're going to have to be a pioneer.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Old 12-12-2014, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by gunnerT

I could care less if it struggled on a track, as stated in my original post it's not going to be raced.

Big difference between 300 something and 500 HP. If I wanted to race on a track I'd buy an actual race car.

Maxima is a boat? I think you fail to realize what "boat" means in automobile lingo. A boat is big, bulky and a gas hog, the Maxima is none of these. It's actually a small to mid-size sport sedan, not even in the full size class.

What is this fascination with GTRs? If I cared and could afford one I'd buy one and join that forum.

I'm probably one of the few here that's been at 200 mph + on the streets. Although it was on two wheels and called a GSXR 1000 it was the fastest I will ever go on street or track.

I just wanted my Maxima to have a little more power for fun, didn't want to enter NASCAR or be some quarter mile king or start a debate on what the cvt can or cannot handle because none of us know a thing about it.

Anyone with some realistic tips on getting the 2014 max and it's cvt which is the future some well needed horsepower please chime in. Don't need lectures or war stories of someone with a friend who knows a guy that has a GTR.

Sorry for being a Richard Head but just want a list of mods that could be done to the 2014. So far I have the Stillen catback, from what I'm hearing the y-pipe is worthless on the 14 sport but still researching. Have a oil cooler kit, lightweight pulley and CAI. But I imagine when I do the larger tires and wheels any gains in hp will be lost to that not to mention the swaybar and strut brace, and weight of the JL sub/amp system going in trunk.

Will start mod thread soon and hope to get some other gen 7 and 2014 max owners on board with uping the hp. Any reliable chips?
Calm down, the Maxima is a boat. It is a full size sedan. Drive a actual light weight sports car and you will find out how big and bulky the maxima actually is. Its a sport-ish sedan. Just take it for what it is.

I think you should save your money and buy another project to work on, S chassis, Z32s, MK3 supras, E36 M3s, and others go for 4-5G and you can have a blast with them for cheap if you add another grand or 2 G35s and 350Zs come into play. By the time you are done boosting the maxima you could have seriously had a nice project car making more power than the maxima ever could with the CVT transmission and a lot more fun. Something you should think about.

Also the 7th gen maxima's motor is a quietly powerful motor, they will put down 300whp NA. Adding even a little boost is going to net big gains. Thats why Ghozt is having soo many problems with his transmission. If you go and re-read his thread you will see post after post about the transmission going into limp mode, NOT the motor. Judging by your post your not the most experienced person, focus on something else for now because unfortunately the 7th gen is currently not cheap to repair if you screw up, on top of that the mods you are taking about completely voids any warranty you had.

Last edited by Crusher103; 12-12-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Buy a G37
Buy a 370z
Buy a BMW 335i
Buy a Benz C350
Buy a Cadillac CTS (or the CTS-V)
Buy a GTR

Maybe you don't understand, I already have a maxima. lol I test drove the CTS loved it but at 50k+ it was a bit too pricey. Would never own a Benz or BMW although I did have a drag racing 71 SEL 280 with a hemi engine and tranny when I was younger. 370 is fun drove one in july but it's two door, tiny and loud. Oh ya, did I mention I already have a maxima?
GTR. Another dreamer but if I had 100k I would not spend that on a car.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks for actual feedback Wizard.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Calm down, the Maxima is a boat. It is a full size sedan. Drive a actual light weight sports car and you will find out how big and bulky the maxima actually is. Its a sport-ish sedan. Just take it for what it is.

I think you should save your money and buy another project to work on, S chassis, Z32s, MK3 supras, E36 M3s, and others go for 4-5G and you can have a blast with them for cheap if you add another grand or 2 G35s and 350Zs come into play. By the time you are done boosting the maxima you could have seriously had a nice project car making more power than the maxima ever could with the CVT transmission and a lot more fun. Something you should think about.

Also the 7th gen maxima's motor is a quietly powerful motor, they will put down 300whp NA. Adding even a little boost is going to net big gains. Thats why Ghozt is having soo many problems with his transmission. If you go and re-read his thread you will see post after post about the transmission going into limp mode, NOT the motor. Judging by your post your not the most experienced person, focus on something else for now because unfortunately the 7th gen is currently not cheap to repair if you screw up, on top of that the mods you are taking about completely voids any warranty you had.
It's a mid-size sedan, you'd think someone that owns one would know what class of car they have, then again...
I did drive the 370. Have owned a talon tsi awd with turbo stage 3 over 400 hp. Owned a 98 Corvette and drive my dad's 08 vette on occassion. Owned and crashed a 95 Mits VR4 TT when i was drunk, thankfully got away with that and insurance never again. I'm beyond my experience with very fast things, my years of gsxr 1000s has basically taken me beyond what most will experience. I bought and own a mid-size sedan because I chose to, all I originally asked was some mods to get over 300hp. I got one good response from Wizard and a bunch of talk from others. I know the maxima is not a true sports car, I know the cvt is new and mods are not available yet for it to handle 500 hp. I'm not asking this, I was asking for simple add-ons that would help. Not opinions of car I should of bought or how I should enjoy my ride that I paid for.
Wow, more project suggestions. lol Just wow.
Please, I'm 43 and have been there done that. Assume all you want. At least I know how to read a thread title and can decide if I should respond or not with relevant info. With the exception of wizard I have gotten nothing. Not a single mod I am doing voids warranty except the turcocharged talk, being I only want a little more than 300hp I'll be just fine with what I got.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM

What you are asking for is the same reason I left the Maxima. Mine ran fine at 410 whp but then again it was not the cvt. So after having it for years I decided to sell and went to the LS platform. I bought a cts-v and love it. Currently making 785 whp.

What everyone is saying its the trans that will limit you on additional power. I know your saying "300hp I`ll be just fine with that". May be just fine with that for a month or two then probably wanting more after. I think its a waste of time and potentially money (in trans problems) for ya.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 PM

The RacingLine Y-pipe will get you about 10 whp. Finishing the exhaust all the way back will net another 5.
An intake may get you one or two, but cash/hp ratio really isn't worth it.

The Block Off Plates (BOP) for the variable intake add about 8hp up top, but loose low end in the process.

Bully dog has a plug in tuner that will add about 10hp.

That is roughly 30 more than factory, and about all you are going to get.

Just focus on braking and handling after that.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 AM

Before you respond read what im saying please. Your question has already been answered but you didnt catch it because you were being so defensive.

It's a mid-size sedan, you'd think someone that owns one would know what class of car they have, then again...
I did drive the 370. Have owned a talon tsi awd with turbo stage 3 over 400 hp. Owned a 98 Corvette and drive my dad's 08 vette on occassion. Owned and crashed a 95 Mits VR4 TT when i was drunk, thankfully got away with that and insurance never again. I'm beyond my experience with very fast things, my years of gsxr 1000s has basically taken me beyond what most will experience. I bought and own a mid-size sedan because I chose to, all I originally asked was some mods to get over 300hp. I got one good response from Wizard and a bunch of talk from others. I know the maxima is not a true sports car, I know the cvt is new and mods are not available yet for it to handle 500 hp. I'm not asking this, I was asking for simple add-ons that would help. Not opinions of car I should of bought or how I should enjoy my ride that I paid for.
Wow, more project suggestions. lol Just wow.
Please, I'm 43 and have been there done that. Assume all you want. At least I know how to read a thread title and can decide if I should respond or not with relevant info. With the exception of wizard I have gotten nothing. Not a single mod I am doing voids warranty except the turcocharged talk, being I only want a little more than 300hp I'll be just fine with what I got.
well 1. george_ is an idiot/boarder line troll so i wouldn't pay him much mind.

The rest of us have already given you the answer, there is no simple bolt on super/turbocharger for any maxima, ESPECIALLY in the case of the 7th gen where no kit exist. 6k is barely enough on an older maxima to add boost. On a 7th gen you will need about 10k from the looks of Ghozt project. Even the supercharger kits like the one Wizard(one of the pioneers in boosting maximas) has on his car required modification to the kit to get it to work properly. Have you read the section you are posting in before saying im not reading. Advanced Performance. Your age has nothing to do with this.

Also the 7th gen maxima is a full size sedan
http://www.cars.com/guides/sedan/full-size/

We can still help you but you have to stop being so defensive. If you do want more power on a 6k budget be creative and think outside the box, change the limiting factor find out how to get a manual trans mounted up to the 7th gen which would also be really helpful in the community. That might be perfect for your goals. The motor in your car is essentially a VQ35HR headers(+07 Altima headers fit your car with a little modification IIRC), 3" test pipe, 3" exhuast, IM mods plus tuning(haltech or Osris uprev, common knowledge best tuning equipment for the VQ35) will get you to the point of +300whp, that is proven Z/G and now us maxima people are consistently seeing over 300whp on bolt-ons+tune. But that would move this thread to the all motor section not the turbo&supercharger section. Your only mistake here really is you posted in the wrong section.

If money is no object then you can boost the ***** off it though lol. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Transmission failed. Same goes the for boosted Altima apparently. See post #167
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ml#post9014310
Old 01-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Transmission failed. Same goes the for boosted Altima apparently. See post #167
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ml#post9014310
Expected
Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 PM

My opinion people should do more research when it comes to buying a car,knowing wat u want from the car,and ur goals see if it can handle wat u seek,cause then u ended up with something u don't want.I haveto say its ggetting harder to mod these new regular jap cars,only new sedan can handle mods r the american cars.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Upping 2014 maxima hp

i have the same max you have. I am basically doing thw same as you. Everyone hates on the maxima and its cvt but thw truth is nissan has come a long way with the cvt. As long as you arent flooring it everytime u see a green light it will last.
back to the original point. The best intake for the max is the awe it is made specifically for the 7th gen maxima and when you google it you will see why when comparing to others. So there is your roughly 10hp gain off the intake. Also after alot of research i found and bought a bullydog gt gas tuner. Easy enough to install (i did it myself) and you can if you want get a tune installed onto the tuner if you want. But it allows you to change several performance settings. Nothing crazy but enough to give you a little kick.
next if you have only changed your cat back you will want to go with the motordyne y pipe. It eliminates rasp and increases hp and torque. If you add all of this together you will get the performance kick you are looking for. Being that you are only looking to make the ride more fun these are your best options.
screw the haters i have burned several ppl with infinitis and a couple bmws the 7th gen maxima isnt the best maxima they released but if you do the research you qill find that the car has several mods to be done. Hit me up let me know what you think. And to all you cvt haters. Dont be mad when my friend here burns you on a 30mph roll.