Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Supercharged/Turbocharged (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged-38/)
-   -   Ve turbo update 2 (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged/688410-ve-turbo-update-2-a.html)

TonyJr 07-26-2015 05:29 PM

Ve turbo update 2

I'll disconnected from the V band cuz the V band on the pipe is meant for t3 turbo not t4 turbo so I'm going to connect the pipe exactly how it should be on the bottom and then it won't reach the t4 and like 6 inches to a foot of straight piping towards the Turbo and I will the weld a t4 vband flange

maxgtr2000 07-27-2015 12:30 PM

I got rid of my windshield washer reservoir. There were times i wish I still had it though.I was trying to find a bag for the fluid on ebay since that is an option. It could stay in the front somewhere then. Or you could run it to the trunk you would just have to extend the washer pump power wires all the way back there.

TonyJr 07-28-2015 12:19 AM

maxgtr2000 07-28-2015 03:16 PM

The bottom of the plunger is where the incoming gases go. Where you see the shaft of the plunger is the wg outlet.

TonyJr 07-29-2015 12:52 AM

got it thanks

TonyJr 07-31-2015 06:52 PM

TonyJr 08-01-2015 02:43 AM

maxgtr2000 08-01-2015 12:30 PM

Those battery terminal clamps suck. I had issues with those over time for some reason. Sometimes taking a file to the inside that touches the posts makes a difference. Your a/f is off/ a bit high at idle. Maybe a exhaust gasket leak leak? Do you have a walbro installed and an afpr? You need those, you can't really run that safely on stock injectors.

TonyJr 08-02-2015 07:08 PM

I have walbro 255. And 370cc injectors but waiting to get nistune to install it together. I barely drive my car maybe 10 miles a day and I don't pass 3500 rpm. I should be ok. I have to adjust my idle cuz it's At 500 rpm. AFR should get closer to 14.7 when I do that.

Crusher103 08-03-2015 06:42 AM

What are you going to do about heat? I see a lot of melting plastic around the radiator. I would suggest a turbo blanket and a little bit of wrap on that downpipe. Keep the filter as random sh1t always finds its way to places its not suppose to be just push the filter down into the fender like all the cool kids do.....

Crusher103 08-03-2015 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000 (Post 9063730)
Those battery terminal clamps suck. I had issues with those over time for some reason. Sometimes taking a file to the inside that touches the posts makes a difference. Your a/f is off/ a bit high at idle. Maybe a exhaust gasket leak leak? Do you have a walbro installed and an afpr? You need those, you can't really run that safely on stock injectors.

Originally Posted by TonyJr (Post 9063960)
I have walbro 255. And 370cc injectors but waiting to get nistune to install it together. I barely drive my car maybe 10 miles a day and I don't pass 3500 rpm. I should be ok. I have to adjust my idle cuz it's At 500 rpm. AFR should get closer to 14.7 when I do that.

You really can't run boost with out a boost friendly AFPR. Get one if you can find a decent sard/Aeromotive etc or you can add an FMU to add to your stock FPR setup. A lean idle isn't too much with you being untuned. I dont know how the VE IAC is setup, but on the VQ essentially you want the IACV taking care of everything idle related and the TB essentially fully closed and that cleared up my lean idle.

TonyJr 08-03-2015 07:38 AM

My downpipe wastegate port isn't connected to wastegate. It's open to air. EXHAUST LEAK before wideband. Going to get a block off plate. That is why Im running lean. No need of fmu or fpr. Nistune handle all that

TonyJr 08-03-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103 (Post 9064034)
You really can't run boost with out a boost friendly AFPR. Get one if you can find a decent sard/Aeromotive etc or you can add an FMU to add to your stock FPR setup. A lean idle isn't too much with you being untuned. I dont know how the VE IAC is setup, but on the VQ essentially you want the IACV taking care of everything idle related and the TB essentially fully closed and that cleared up my lean idle.

I though about getting a fmu n afpr. After I get downpipe joint welded I'll wrap it. I order a turbo blanket. I just bought heat shield for wires n oil feed line

Crusher103 08-03-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by TonyJr (Post 9064040)
My downpipe wastegate port isn't connected to wastegate. It's open to air. EXHAUST LEAK before wideband. Going to get a block off plate. That is why Im running lean. No need of fmu or fpr. Nistune handle all that

Whoa, no, Nistune cannot handle that. I'm running nistune it cannot make up for loss of fuel pressure in the fuel rail you need a AFPR or FMU there is no way around that. Your stock FPR(which im assuming your running) is setup to react to only negative vac, not positive vac caused be conditions such as going into boost. Nistune has no control over vac and fuel pressure. Please get a AFPR or an FMU, i have an FMU that im not using that will just be an add on to your stock system if you want it. But you do need a boost friendly FPR, with the route you are going there is honestly no way around it. Unless 3rd gens FPRs are completely different from 4th gen FPRs(which i highly doubt) in that case ignore everything i said. :laugh:

Which makes me wonder do you plan on running different boost pressures like a high boost and low boost setting. And do you have the management systems in place for that. Nistune does have switchable maps but you have to have a laptop connected and a separate boost controller. Greddy Profec line is probably one of the easier systems to use, Apexi, HKS?

But gotcha ya on running lean a leak would cause it.

TonyJr 08-03-2015 08:35 AM

My only plans so far is to install 370cc, 255 walbro, nistune. .

LOW BOOST for now. Planning to rebuilt with low compression piston after I get this running right.

Damn I should just run I a fmu, stock injectors, and afpr for now until I decide to boost high

Crusher103 08-03-2015 09:01 AM

An FMU would be fine for most moderate boost levels. Like i said i have an 4:1 FMU, so it is setup for the 370cc injectors. In all honesty i think an AFPR is best. It will be more flexible than the FMU although more expensive. But when you do decided to go on to bigger and better thing you probably will not have to buy another AFPR, where the FMU will probably need to be changed or adjusted from what i understand about them.

But as far as boost is concerned you are going to be wastegate limited so depending on what size spring is in your wastegate is how much boost you will be running. That wastegate looks like a Tial 38mm, IIRC those are usually sold with the small red spring which is 5.8psi spring. That is low boost for you. So some sort of boost manager will be a worthwhile thing to buy as unless this is a massive GTX78R hexa-ball bearing my enormous balls hang so low they need there own wheelchair mega turbo, where 5.8psi would mean a lot of power. But even on your stock bottom end being able to adjust the boost might be to your benefit. Its not a massive concern to running a turbo car like the AFPR and you dont need one but even as a stock block car you will probably want one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....52575c9b80.gif

James92SE 08-03-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103 (Post 9064050)
Whoa, no, Nistune cannot handle that. I'm running nistune it cannot make up for loss of fuel pressure in the fuel rail you need a AFPR or FMU there is no way around that. Your stock FPR(which im assuming your running) is setup to react to only negative vac, not positive vac caused be conditions such as going into boost. Nistune has no control over vac and fuel pressure. Please get a AFPR or an FMU, i have an FMU that im not using that will just be an add on to your stock system if you want it. But you do need a boost friendly FPR, with the route you are going there is honestly no way around it. Unless 3rd gens FPRs are completely different from 4th gen FPRs(which i highly doubt) in that case ignore everything i said. :laugh:

I can't fathom why he'd need an AFPR/FMU with Nistune for a 370cc setup. My old setup had 575cc injectors and stock FPR with Nistune, no FMU/AFPR. My new setup has 740cc's and I don't plan on an FMU/AFPR either.

Out of curiosity, what tangible behaviors does your car exhibit that you are unable to correct with Nistune and require the somewhat "Band-Aid" fix of an FMU/AFPR? What size injectors are you running? Fuel pump? What kind of power? I almost wonder if the FMU/AFPR is being applied as a fix to behaviors that Nistune could easily fix with more (better?) tuning?

I'm not trying to debate you here, just curious. I somewhat diligently looked into whether or not I needed an AFPR with Nistune before my project a few years ago and was pretty widely instructed I didn't need it, including by PL from Nistune/PLMS Developments himself, and I'd think he knows his stuff:

"Often people think they need an adjustable FPR when in fact they don't. They can be useful if somebody has injectors that are almost big enough for the job - a small increase in fuel pressure will sometimes get them over the line. Rather than go to the effort and expense of upgrading to bigger injectors. Not to mention the tuning problems that can result. Particularly if they've cheaped out and gone with one of the many drilled out horror stories that are so common these days. "Your solution for difficult tuning, dodgy cold start, rough idle, crap fuel economy, and general poor running". ;)

Although these days we have a better range of *real* injectors to choose from at often quite reasonable prices.

The other time I've seen a need is when a big fuel system has been fitted and the stock FPR just can't bypass enough fuel to keep pressure under control. In this case an aftermarket FPR will often fix the problem - but not cos it's adjustable, but rather cos it is capable of flowing more fuel. The adjustable part kinda comes along as part of the deal.

They're also handy for making a car driveable just to get it to the dyno. I've sometimes made up a base tune for an ECU on the bench and sent it back. The customer then relies on my base tune to get to the dyno. If the base tune isn't quite where it should be then it can be adjusted using the FPR just to make it driveable.

PL"

If Tony was going to mess with an FMU/AFPR, he might as well not even bother with Nistune since he'd be "tuning" just like people were 15 years ago. :gotme:

Crusher103 08-03-2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE (Post 9064093)
I can't fathom why he'd need an AFPR/FMU with Nistune for a 370cc setup. My old setup had 575cc injectors and stock FPR with Nistune, no FMU/AFPR. My new setup has 740cc's and I don't plan on an FMU/AFPR either.

Out of curiosity, what tangible behaviors does your car exhibit that you are unable to correct with Nistune and require the somewhat "Band-Aid" fix of an FMU/AFPR? What size injectors are you running? Fuel pump? What kind of power? I almost wonder if the FMU/AFPR is being applied as a fix to behaviors that Nistune could easily fix with more (better?) tuning?

I'm not trying to debate you here, just curious. I somewhat diligently looked into whether or not I needed an AFPR with Nistune before my project a few years ago and was pretty widely instructed I didn't need it, including by PL from Nistune/PLMS Developments himself, and I'd think he knows his stuff:

"Often people think they need an adjustable FPR when in fact they don't. They can be useful if somebody has injectors that are almost big enough for the job - a small increase in fuel pressure will sometimes get them over the line. Rather than go to the effort and expense of upgrading to bigger injectors. Not to mention the tuning problems that can result. Particularly if they've cheaped out and gone with one of the many drilled out horror stories that are so common these days. "Your solution for difficult tuning, dodgy cold start, rough idle, crap fuel economy, and general poor running". ;)

Although these days we have a better range of *real* injectors to choose from at often quite reasonable prices.

The other time I've seen a need is when a big fuel system has been fitted and the stock FPR just can't bypass enough fuel to keep pressure under control. In this case an aftermarket FPR will often fix the problem - but not cos it's adjustable, but rather cos it is capable of flowing more fuel. The adjustable part kinda comes along as part of the deal.

They're also handy for making a car driveable just to get it to the dyno. I've sometimes made up a base tune for an ECU on the bench and sent it back. The customer then relies on my base tune to get to the dyno. If the base tune isn't quite where it should be then it can be adjusted using the FPR just to make it driveable.

PL"

If Tony was going to mess with an FMU/AFPR, he might as well not even bother with Nistune since he'd be "tuning" just like people were 15 years ago. :gotme:

Maybe he doesn't. My setup currently using Bosch EV14 650cc injectors, my old setup was using 370cc injectors with the addition of an FMU ontop of a Emanage, it was a turbo car running a T04E(Jay25's old setup). A lot of information that i have from 4th gens so it might not apply in this case which is one the next things i was going to post was to ask somebody like yourself who is vastly more experienced with boosting 3rd gens I got caught up in life and stuff lol. But the no AFPR just popped out at me because in my experience in almost every moderately to heavily modified 4th gen when dealing with fuel its get an AFPR. You will need it.

James92SE 08-03-2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103 (Post 9064125)
Maybe he doesn't. My setup currently using Bosch EV14 650cc injectors, my old setup was using 370cc injectors with the addition of an FMU ontop of a Emanage, it was a turbo car running a T04E(Jay25's old setup). A lot of information that i have from 4th gens so it might not apply in this case which is one the next things i was going to post was to ask somebody like yourself who is vastly more experienced with boosting 3rd gens I got caught up in life and stuff lol. But the no AFPR just popped out at me because in my experience in almost every moderately to heavily modified 4th gen when dealing with fuel its get an AFPR. You will need it.

So you are currently using 650cc injectors with Nistune? Z32 MAF?

I don't dispute that probably every heavily modified 4th gen to date has had an AFPR. BUT - if I understand correctly, hasn't Nistune only been out for the 4th gen for a year or so?

If so, that makes me wonder that if there ARE any 4th genners out there with Nistune AND running AFPR's if that's just holdover thinking? Part of the benefit of Nistune is that you specifically DON'T have to mess with things like FMU/AFPR - so to then run those in addition to Nistune seems somewhat redundant and unnecessary to me. Perhaps if there were some Maximas out there running 2000cc injectors or something maybe it would need to augment Nistune, but for anything anybody here would be doing I'd be shocked if there were a true need for FMU/AFPR with Nistune.

TurboA32 08-03-2015 01:37 PM

When ever you get your nistune ecu there is no need for any AFPR or FMU you said your going to run 370cc injectors z32 maf and walbro 255lph fuel pump your good......when you bring your ecu your tuner tell your tuner the parts you have and he'll take care of the rest...that fuel setup can support about 420hp to the flywheel....also spark plugs you'll need to get 1 step colder spark plugs and you will set the gap according to if you get spark blowout

TurboA32 08-03-2015 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE (Post 9064138)

I don't dispute that probably every heavily modified 4th gen to date has had an AFPR. BUT - if I understand correctly, hasn't Nistune only been out for the 4th gen for a year or so?

If so, that makes me wonder that if there ARE any 4th genners out there with Nistune AND running AFPR's if that's just holdover thinking? Part of the benefit of Nistune is that you specifically DON'T have to mess with things like FMU/AFPR - so to then run those in addition to Nistune seems somewhat redundant and unnecessary to me. Perhaps if there were some Maximas out there running 2000cc injectors or something maybe it would need to augment Nistune, but for anything anybody here would be doing I'd be shocked if there were a true need for FMU/AFPR with Nistune.

I was running z32 maf 555cc injectors walbro 255lph and 20psi on jwt ecu and i had no afpr car ran just fine....now I have nistune with 740cc injectors and I don't plan on using a afpr there's no need to and if people are using an afpr or fmu its totally their choice I guess lol

Crusher103 08-03-2015 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE (Post 9064138)

Yes, Nistune, 650s, and a Z32 maf, that plus im 3.5 swapped and there is almost no way around AFPRs with its fuel rail. I believe i was the 3rd person with Nistune on the site out of the 4th genners, now there is quite a handful of people running it. so yes you are right we JUST got it. Its working great.

But learned something new, I'll definitely keep an eye on how it pans out.

TonyJr 08-03-2015 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103 (Post 9064061)
An FMU would be fine for most moderate boost levels. Like i said i have an 4:1 FMU, so it is setup for the 370cc injectors. In all honesty i think an AFPR is best. It will be more flexible than the FMU although more expensive. But when you do decided to go on to bigger and better thing you probably will not have to buy another AFPR, where the FMU will probably need to be changed or adjusted from what i understand about them.

But as far as boost is concerned you are going to be wastegate limited so depending on what size spring is in your wastegate is how much boost you will be running. That wastegate looks like a Tial 38mm, IIRC those are usually sold with the small red spring which is 5.8psi spring. That is low boost for you. So some sort of boost manager will be a worthwhile thing to buy as unless this is a massive GTX78R hexa-ball bearing my enormous balls hang so low they need there own wheelchair mega turbo, where 5.8psi would mean a lot of power. But even on your stock bottom end being able to adjust the boost might be to your benefit. Its not a massive concern to running a turbo car like the AFPR and you dont need one but even as a stock block car you will probably want one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....52575c9b80.gif

My wastegate is a turbonetic with 7 psi spring

TonyJr 08-05-2015 04:20 PM

TurboA32 08-06-2015 02:52 PM

Where is that wastegate dump tube going into? Im assuming it's dumping into the downpipe...and did you block off the dump side of the wastegate since it isn't connected to the dump tube?

TonyJr 08-06-2015 03:59 PM

Yes it's block off and im planning to fix the pipe to connect to wastegate

TonyJr 08-06-2015 04:06 PM