Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Supercharged/Turbocharged (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged-38/)
-   -   Intake air temp (https://maxima.org/forums/supercharged-turbocharged/693098-intake-air-temp.html)

Mattx 04-22-2016 06:07 PM

Intake air temp

Hello fellow boosted maxima owners. Not sure if this has been talked about or if anyone else has figured this out. I'm sure I'm not the first one but here goes.

This may be a generation thing. On my 5.5 maxima I have a temperature reading built into my dash by the speedo. That particular sensor is located inside the front fender area on the passenger side. So it occurred to me that if I plumed in that sensor into my intake I could have an intake temperature reading right there at my finger tips. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this? If so did it work?

I'm not exactly how high this temperature sensor will read to. I know it seems pretty accurate when I'm in the car as to what the temp is outside.

Any feedback is welcomed. Like I said earlier I don't think this is my Christopher Columbus moment or anything. Just trying to figure out if it's worked for anyone.

Nealoc187 04-26-2016 04:40 PM

Might work, you brought up one issue I could foresee (max temp reading) and the other I could envision might be an issue with how fast it reacts (might have a lag when it comes to rapidly changing temps like you see when you're on-off-on-off boost). FSM might have sensor specs in it (it does for engine temp sensors).

Mattx 04-26-2016 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187 (Post 9107341)
Might work, you brought up one issue I could foresee (max temp reading) and the other I could envision might be an issue with how fast it reacts (might have a lag when it comes to rapidly changing temps like you see when you're on-off-on-off boost). FSM might have sensor specs in it (it does for engine temp sensors).

Good point. I did do a little playing around and moved the sensor more towards inlet of my intercooler which at the time had minor coolant leak from oil cooler hose dripping around the area. The results were the gauge would climb as it heated up and I did get 123* reading I believe was the highest I saw. Not sure though how accurate. But I'm guessing you could wire any temp gauge to it. I know it reads into triple digits so I'm guessing it could work and be moved/extended.

aw11power 04-27-2016 07:07 AM

this is a pretty clever idea. i hope it works for you, thatd be a nice gauge to have!

Mattx 04-27-2016 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by aw11power (Post 9107428)
this is a pretty clever idea. i hope it works for you, thatd be a nice gauge to have!

Thanks.

ChrisMan287 04-28-2016 07:05 AM

Extend the wiring and put it near the TB.

Mattx 04-28-2016 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9107608)
Extend the wiring and put it near the TB.

That's what I had in mind or anywhere after intercooler

Mattx 04-28-2016 11:14 AM

Now for the tricky part finding the best option for pluming it into the intake. That and ensuring its leak proof. Any suggestions?

MuskokaMaxima 04-29-2016 12:33 AM

When i plug my obd2 code reader in it gives me a data stream option. One of them being intake air temperature. Cruising down the highway it is usually 15f more than the ambient temp. Traffic it skyrockets.

NmexMAX 04-29-2016 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MuskokaMaxima (Post 9107809)
When i plug my obd2 code reader in it gives me a data stream option. One of them being intake air temperature. Cruising down the highway it is usually 15f more than the ambient temp. Traffic it skyrockets.

Point of this is to have it right at your finger tips and on your dash, no OBDII anything required.

This dude is SC'd, I'm sure he's got a Cipher or something for motioning everything or almost everything but this would be cool :thumbsup:

Mattx 04-29-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX (Post 9107862)
Point of this is to have it right at your finger tips and on your dash, no OBDII anything required. This dude is SC'd, I'm sure he's got a Cipher or something for motioning everything or almost everything but this would be cool :thumbsup:

Thank you for understanding. I think this could be good for n/a, Turbo'd, supercharged, and nitrous.