Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Are hubcentric rings necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:20 AM
CCx

Are hubcentric rings necessary?

Finally got my tires today, will be getting everything mounted and balanced this weekend. My wheels are 19x8.5, tires are 245/40/19. Do I absolutely need hubcentric rings for the installation of these? I am planning on putting them on and hand torquing everything myself, so if this is done correctly they should be centered by the lugs, correct?

If I do absolutely need these, what size am I looking for? On the boxes for the wheels it says "73.2", I have a 2000 SE if that matters. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

You might be able to "get away" w/o them. But you might experience some vibrations at highway speeds. I would highly recommend them so your car performs as it should. The lugs will "sorta" center the rim but you have to be careful each time you install the wheel. And you could still have some vibrations. The centering ring IMHO doesn't really "support" anything as I've seen these rings being sold in plastic material. Their main purpose is to center the wheel on the hub as their name implies.

Nissan hub bores are 69.X I forget the exact measurement.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:24 AM

YES...you can wear out your hub bearings without them in the long run. Go to www.justforwheels.com and they are about $40 shipped.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:07 AM
CCx

Cool, I'm assuming that a wheel manufacturer makes their bore a standard across all their wheels? The reason I ask is because I went to the site listed above and put in 89-up Maxima and Axis wheels, and it gave me a set of rings, but no further information such as measurements. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM

Get your hub rings from Discount Tire Direct. These are the aluminum ones which are far better than the plastic. I bought a set from here, and they were only $15.00. Yeah, I would highly recommend getting hub rings if the hub bores are different. You'll save yourself from future problems like tire wear, and especially wheel bearings!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 AM
CCx

Should I get the rings and put them on my wheels before I take them and the tires to be mounted and balanced, or does it not affect the balancing? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CCx
Should I get the rings and put them on my wheels before I take them and the tires to be mounted and balanced, or does it not affect the balancing? Thanks.
Yeah, wait until the tires are balanced and then fit the rings around each hub. Then mount the tires.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:49 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Without hubcentric rings, you might have vibration problems on your newly balanced aftermarket rims.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:38 AM
CCx

Thanks for the help guys, ordered my rings today in 66.1/73mm, a few hundreths of a mm off on both ends but I'm sure I can make them fit
Old 04-26-2004, 08:56 PM
What's next!?..

CCx, where did you end up ordering them from?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 AM
CCx

Same place I got my tires, www.tires.com, had to call them....$15 shipped for the metal rings.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Are they working out for you?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
CCx

Haven't put the wheels on yet....got the rings and they fit into the wheels just fine, with a little hammering....the only problem was the jacka$$ at Discount Tire, for one reason or another, found it to be in his best interest to order me PURPLE rings...I don't recall a color choice being presented when they were ordered....certainly the normal color of metal would have been just fine...but anyway, the PURPLE rings I got fit just fine into the wheels, and I'll be mounting them this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Probably won't be able to see them anyways so purple is all good
Old 04-29-2004, 05:41 PM
CCx

They seem to be working fine, just installed the wheels tonight (pics in 5th gen forum), and at highway speeds no shimmy, shake, etc....SMOOOOTH sailing....now i just need that alignment tomorrow and i'm all set
Old 04-30-2004, 10:44 AM
What's next!?..

I just ordered the rings from Discount Tire a few days ago.

Apparently the rings come in different colors depending on the size you need. It's just how they color code them to make it easier to identify. You don't have a choice in the matter.

Can't see them anyway once the wheels are on.

I'd prefer a brighter color anyway so if one falls out when I take the wheel off for some reason, it'll be easier to find on the floor.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:00 PM
CCx

Cool, good to know
Old 04-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Always sunny in philly

i just had some 18" evo 5's put on and i still had the old hub rings from way back. he popped them off and said they aren't needed. But he did place some type of circular object on the backside center (middle) of the rims, would that be the hubring?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:57 PM

yes sir. hub rings obviously vary in size, since the every rims center bore is different...therefore, you would need new hub centric rings with every rims you get, unless your rims are hub centric...you can only use old hub centric rings off your old rims, only if the new rim has same center bore size.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 PM

Love the lip on you rims
Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 PM

Do HP Evo's need these rings?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:40 AM
I miss the .org!

I don't think they're absolutely neccessary, but definitely a good idea. I've got some MM ones for my SSR's. Been to lazy to throw 'em in tho...
Old 10-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Mauja He Mauja

I called Discount Tire and the guy acted like he knew nothing about them. Stupid idiot. I talked to the manager, and he is going to get them for me, free of charge of course. 4 times I took them in for balancing, and kept complaining of vibrations at high speed. They could not figure it out.

11.99 on ebay, shipping included.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...929932885&rd=1
Old 12-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well fwiw now I've been running Motegi mags since about 2006 without hub rings (well over 200k mi), first on a Camry then our Infiniti I30 since 2012 and had zero vibration. I run mostly interstate 80-95mph hitting over 100mph many times & never felt vibs. Never replaced a bearing either, not once and you wont either.
My only complaint is while installing mine without rings but most likely my f#@ken Tuner nuts cause most of the bs. It can be a real pita because the studs on these cars are short and without hub rings the wheel simply will not sit up against the hub for me to start the first nut, the studs don't protrude until my wheels on either.
So' I must center/ hold /push /maneuver the wheel with one hand/head/arm/foot/feet until I finally get the first nut in the little whole and started good enough to hold it on. But' once the first nut is on then the rest go on very easily. My wheels are a PITA!! If I had hub rings or its studs were a tad longer it wouldn't do this cause either will hold the wheel on to start a nut. To end my fight, thats all I'd buy hub rings for though, its all they actually do and why we do see plastic rings btw.

I was taught to install wheels/tires in my BIL Shell gas/service station back in the 70's at age 12 when gas stations done it all. We sold new tires/mags and I never fought any wheels like mine to get started. We never used rings on any mags then, even the old Universal mags with oval washers to make different lug patterns just never centered up until fully installed. But once tightened they centered up fine and never vibrated. Some brands of old mags were just pure junk back then you know it?..lol
It really just depends on the lug nuts if they center up easy. True!

Wont balance? Balance always depends on the balance machines operator/adaptors he has for it if they can balance anything right today but thats not the mag/rings fault trust me. Many newer OEM Toyota truck wheels some shops simply never get balanced, others have no problem at all. No shop ever had balance issues on my Motegi mags without hub rings and I been through several tire shops in 15yrs.
I expect some get vibration because they fail to criss cross the lug pattern installing their wheels "any wheels". Many people just put the 1st lug on we'll say at 12 noon, and give it hell then go to 2 and 4 on around the clock, I've see it time and time again my entire life. So stop that chit..lol Go 12 then 6 then 3 and 9 or similar.. you know just criss cross, it matters not where you start from?.lol

Also dropping the car on the ground before its lugs are tight enough will create vibration because it fails to be fully against the hub. Sears did it to our I30, I didn't drive it enough and my wife almost lost a front wheel on interstate because some Sears dumb **** done that. He torqued them all, I watched that much but after a cars on the ground the wheel cant pull in with all the cars weight on it so this leaves a gap between wheel/hub. Its coming off!!
Fact is once the wheels fully up on the hub and torqued right the nuts/studs do all the work from here on out because your wheel is pressed against the hub and the wheel simply cannot move at all. It can't budge! If it did a plastic hub ring would crack to pieces from the cars weight within a few miles.

Now' your lug nut design matters-
The nuts on mine are fricken Tuners as I stated and TUNERS ABSOLUTELY SUCK...lol But its your lug nuts seat style is what really matters most.
Most Mag wheel nuts aka: Shank lug nuts hold the wheel centered for you by their shank. Verify shank length is shorter than wheels hole thickness or shank bottoms out before tightening, fair warning.

My Tuners are Acorn Tapered/Cone style seat.
Like most OEM nuts are designed they always force the wheel to center up when seated and hold a wheel in place once torqued right. Why a lot of cars have no lip on the hub at all because it only helps with wheel install.

But' some lug nuts are flat seated meaning they have no seat actually and here lies the real issue. The flat seat lug nuts do not center the wheel for you at all so you do need centric hub rings to actually center a wheel using flat seat lug nuts.
Now' personally I haven't seen the crappy flat seated lug nuts in decades but they're out there because I have seen them. We never learn from our mistakes so poor designs tend to circle back again and again if you get my drift? I'd never run these on anything myself, see flat seats in link below.

Basically just criss cross the lug nuts while you snug them all up on install, snug up all your lug nuts real good before dropping car. Its best when possible to just torque them all to spec "Before setting the car down to force the wheel fully against the hub and you'll always be fine with/without hub rings.

Every time I fight a wheel on our I30 I find myself looking for hub rings again, I soon say "screw it" cause I get over fighting the wheels on pretty quickly it seems. I just done a brake job, so here I am again man..lol I doubt I ever buy any after 15yrs just to hold my wheel up for install, if I could get rid of its tuner nuts for $20 now that Id do in a nanoflash, never again, omg I just hate'em..lol. Sorry got so long here hope it helps sometime.

Lug Nut Seats.
https://www.brandsport.com/howdoifirilu.html
Old 12-26-2021, 03:54 PM

^^^ You do understand that you’ve replied to a 17 year old thread, right?
Old 12-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by Turbobink
^^^ You do understand that you’ve replied to a 17 year old thread, right?
blast from the past