Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Hunter Road Force Balancing - thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Hunter Road Force Balancing - thoughts

This forum and the internet in general, has lots of posts about cars (not just Maxima's) that shimmy, shake, and vibrate. So, if we want to diagnose what the problem is, it does make sense to verify the balance and condition of our tires and wheels, as a first approach. HRF balancing seems to be a great way to either solve the problem, or to eliminate the tires/wheels as the problem, and then move on to the next possibilities. Here's the problem with HRF, almost no one wants to give you a print out. So, do we even know if it was done? Was it done properly? With no documentation, an owner could move on to other very expensive options to make the car ride smooth again.

So, I say, unless a printout is provided to the paying customer, on the condition of the tires/wheels before and after the HRF balancing, then it's just a shot in the dark, a guess, and could keep owners chasing their tails for the solution.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't think to ask for a printout when getting the wheels/tires balanced. I would take it to a shop I trust and would know they've done it right. I tend to walk around the outside of the shop when my cars are being serviced just to see what's going on and ask questions if needed.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Having access to balancing equipment for years and going through numerous setups, I find the easiest thing for people to blame is the one thing it never is, the balance.

I wouldn't waste my time with a print out if the machine is so inclined. I don't see the point.

It's easy enough to pin point as well. Swap the wheels around and see if it follows. Also inspect the wheel really closely for damage. And lastly the thing everyone knows but no one wants to follow, USE HIGH QUALITY WHEELS AND TIRES. Don't bring in a chinese knock off wheel and bargain bin tire and blame the guy or machine when it loses it's balance every few thousand miles. YMMV. Or you hit a pothole and make an incredibly difficult to discern (with the tire mounted) crack/flat spot/bow in it. The balance will come back true every time but you'll feel it on the highway.

Get some Michelin, use strong, quality wheels and if you are having trouble, spend a lot of time inspecting the wheel and tire for damage.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Having access to balancing equipment for years and going through numerous setups, I find the easiest thing for people to blame is the one thing it never is, the balance. I wouldn't waste my time with a print out if the machine is so inclined. I don't see the point. It's easy enough to pin point as well. Swap the wheels around and see if it follows. Also inspect the wheel really closely for damage. And lastly the thing everyone knows but no one wants to follow, USE HIGH QUALITY WHEELS AND TIRES. Don't bring in a chinese knock off wheel and bargain bin tire and blame the guy or machine when it loses it's balance every few thousand miles. YMMV. Or you hit a pothole and make an incredibly difficult to discern (with the tire mounted) crack/flat spot/bow in it. The balance will come back true every time but you'll feel it on the highway. Get some Michelin, use strong, quality wheels and if you are having trouble, spend a lot of time inspecting the wheel and tire for damage.
Agreed on the high quality wheels and tires. ^^

I work at a dealership with the hunter road force and it works wonders. It is capable of producing a print out. If you're familiar with road force, It's actually a lengthy process. It measures high spots on low spots in the tire. It then measures the entire rim finding the lowest spot in the rim.
The machine then tells you wear to label the tire at the highest point in the tire, and lowest point on the rim. You then remove the wheel from the balancer, dismount the tire and place the highest point of the tire to the lowest point of the rim. Throw the wheel and tire back on the balancer and balance it. Just to be clear. It's easy to check to see if they actually balanced your tires. All wheel weights should be removed from the wheels. And new wheel weights will be added to each wheel if the shop is legit. I've seen a lot of shops add weights to counter balance old weights left on the rim. And just to be clear. If the wheel and tire is road forced. And excessive road force isn't found present. Then you just skip to balancing.

Another cool feature of the road force is that it can actually tell you where to place each wheel for optimal balance and alignment of the vehicle. Not to sure how it works.