Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Question about performance all-season tires in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Question about performance all-season tires in the snow

I need new tires and have decided on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (unless someone convinces me otherwise) because they seem to be the best in UHP A/S tires, especially in the snow. I am using my stock rims for the winter and I didn't know what size would be best when it comes to snow driving. I was thinking about getting 235/45/17 but since a narrower tire is better for the snow, maybe a 225 would be better but I will loose performance in the dry. Not sure if 225 vs 235 will make a big difference when driving in the snow or not.

Secondly, is a 45 sidewall too thin for the snow? Is it better to have a larger or smaller sidewall for winter? They make a 50 and a 55 in that tire. What is better? Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Generally narrower tire and larger sidewalls is optimal for winter. Narrower tire gets better traction, larger sidewall equals less chance of scratching the rims when you cant see the curb due to snow and they will be better against pot holes which are more prevalent during the winter. However since you are going to be running these all the time go with the normal width but a larger sidewall.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM

buy a set of steelies and mount real winter tires on them, and get nice high performance summer tires for your main rims
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
Generally narrower tire and larger sidewalls is optimal for winter. Narrower tire gets better traction, larger sidewall equals less chance of scratching the rims when you cant see the curb due to snow and they will be better against pot holes which are more prevalent during the winter. However since you are going to be running these all the time go with the normal width but a larger sidewall.
Thanks for your input. What would be the downside to a skinnier sidewall in the snow though?

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
buy a set of steelies and mount real winter tires on them, and get nice high performance summer tires for your main rims
Thanks, but nah. Trying to get info on what I posted in the first post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

I had your same thought, and went with the Continental Conti extreme because it had a lot of good winter reviews.

Well, they weren't that great in the snow, so I sacked up and got me some dedicated winter snows (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's) and now have the flexibility to rock UHP Summer tires in the summer.

BTW, Dedidcated winter tires are sooooo much better than AS's, even the BEST AS's cannot hold a candle to dedicated snows in the winter and snow, and they're V rated, so not much handling is lost. I would rather lose a little handing than end up in an unplanned meeting with a guardrail.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Dedicated winter tires are sooooo much better than AS's, even the BEST AS's cannot hold a candle to dedicated snows in the winter and snow, and they're V rated, so not much handling is lost. I would rather lose a little handing than end up in an unplanned meeting with a guardrail.
+1.
I just bought a set of 15" Nissan OE 8 spoke scallop alloys from a 3rd gen Max to serve as a winter set for my '00 Max.

They had some very low mileage Goodyear Assurance all-seasons on it that even say 'm+s' on the sidewall... We just had our first dusting of snow with maybe 1-2" of accumulation, and I can say that they SUCK on the snow compared to the Michelin X-Ice winter tires I had on the Camry I was driving last winter.

I will take them to the tire shop and have them cut siping into the tread to more closely mimic real winter tires. It will shorten the life, but I really only need to get this one season out of them. I plan to replace them with some Blizzaks or X-Ice before next Winter.

Last edited by 2ndRick; 12-04-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Nearly any tire choice you make is a compromise and you just make the best choice you can for your specific application.

If you live in Florida, there is no choice ... buy summer tires.
If you live in BIG SNOW country, again there is no choice, by dedicated snow tires.

If, however, you live somewhere in between the two extremes then you compromise.

When I lived in Denver and just wanted to get to the ski areas on fair weather days, then all season tires were just fine. I was not driving in loose new snow. I was driving on plowed, sanded, and well maintained surfaces. In theory, narrower/higher aspect ratio tires may have been better, but I don't think the width or aspect ratio would have made a significant/measurable difference and it wasn't a compromise I was willing to make. In town, at judicious city speeds, the all seasons were OK but probably not optimum ... a compromise I was willing to make because I was never that far from home.

Here in Nevada with 320+ days of sunshine and dry pavement, the compromise is between UHP summer tires and All Seasons, no need for dedicated snow tires. My choice is to keep UHP summer tires on the Maxima and drive my Nissan Frontier 4x4 when the weather is iffy. The compromise is that I may get caught with the Maxima in an unexpected weather condition ... again a chance I'm willing to take.

In any case, it boils down to the driving skills you possess, the level of risk you can accept, and the conditions you expect to experience in your usual driving area. Each of us needs to think of these issues when we select tires. IMHO price is about third or fourth on the list of deciding factors when buying tires.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka
Old 12-07-2010, 12:42 AM
SLOW

you will not see a measurable performance difference between the sizes you are considering.

after my first winter on snow tires i was sold for life on their necessity in my neck of the woods. i personally wouldn't risk my car and perhaps life to save $300-400 but that's up to you.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Well, up here in PA it doesn't get too bad. Last year was an exception though.

I did have to change my tire decision because no one up here can get them because of a national backorder. So it's down to the Goodyear Eagle GT or the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Plus. Both seem to be almost equal and decent for an A/S tire. Read the surveys on tirerack and they are almost identical.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM

The compromise I chose was Michelin's Pilot Alpin PA3. In Iowa we have maybe 10 days per winter when you are dealing with actual heavy snow. Then you are dealing with packed snow and wet roads for 5-7 days. From their description of the tire:

"Michelin's Performance Winter / Snow tire developed to meet the needs of drivers who want to retain the precision of their ultra high performance sports car, sedan or coupe during winter conditions."
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by viperboy
Well, up here in PA it doesn't get too bad. Last year was an exception though.

I did have to change my tire decision because no one up here can get them because of a national backorder. So it's down to the Goodyear Eagle GT or the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Plus. Both seem to be almost equal and decent for an A/S tire. Read the surveys on tirerack and they are almost identical.
I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires since Feb 09. I love 'em and they do pretty well in the snow.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 PM
STFU n00b!

That Conti looks okay from a tread standpoint.. just make darn sure you don't get anything with a v groove tread pattern. they suuuuck in the snow. tried about 10 different "UHP all-season" tires and they all sucked. I used my wife's altima with regular all seasons on it to pull my Max out of the driveway several times.

hell one time I just stuck the car in 1st gear at idle and got out and pushed. once it got moving again, I hopped back in the car and drove off.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

All good comments. Agree with the +1/-1 sizing for optimum snow traction.

I just bought a set of gently used Dunlop Sport M3's with 9/32's (11/32 new) left on all four off of craigslist for $300, from a guy with an 03 g35.
they are 215/55/17 and i'll mount 'em on OEM 17's.
Getting them mounted today RIGHT before a storm tomorrow.
Can't WAIT to try 'em!
These are a "PERFORMANCE" Winter tire also, as previous Iowa poster said: we really don't get ALOT of heavy snow in these parts.
We spend most of the winter in wet or slushy conditions.

Buy your tires accordingly.

I tried my Bridgestone 960a/s's in the Iowa winter last year, and have to say -- they SUCKED!
Had several sets of a/s tires before these --and all the same, i could MAKE it where I needed to go -- but it wasn't easy or safe.

Happy to get a proper set of winter tires for the first time on this car.

I'll report back how they work.

*EDIT: after a good 5" of the fluffy stuff, I can say that these tires are DECENT in the snow/slush/ice. MUCH better than the A/s tires, but prob. not as good as a SNOW/ICE tire. But, in reality, a good choice for my driving conditions.
I did alot of mixed driving, up hills, dead stops in standing snow, and an ice covered interstate. Very well composed tire, not alot of noise, and decent handling in all conditions.
Although I think these tires were End of Lifed, getting the updated version like Nmex's would be the way to go.*

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 12-19-2010 at 05:55 AM.